• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Four to seven more doping cases possible before Tour start

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
issoisso said:
First comment: All of them just from the two swiss races? no others? that's just plain weird. With so many races in that period.

It's because both these races are owned and run by ASO.

Perhaps they were testing out new Dynepro tests before the Tour?

May 13, 2009
Visit site
I just hate how they wait until the tour. And then do it soo late that the teams can't replace a rider. For all the ASOs desires to squash doping, they certainly announce them when they think the publicity will be in their favor.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
On the other hand, I think it was said they actually tested positive in those Tours...

So that could mean they used the newly discovered Dynepo test as in the Dekker case, OR, as was reported before, ASO tested the 'new test' they are going to use in the TdF.. (if those 2 don't overlap). If they test for Dynepo, I don't think big names will surface, because I doubt the big fish are using that (still).

Marco Marzano and Massimiliano Mori (LAM) were in Romandie and Suisse, and they were dropped from LAM roster the 29th.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
rolfrae said:
It's because both these races are owned and run by ASO.

Perhaps they were testing out new Dynepro tests before the Tour?

Uhh...no they're not :p

Bala Verde said:
Marco Marzano and Massimiliano Mori (LAM) were in Romandie and Suisse, and they were dropped from LAM roster the 29th.

fifth and sixth Lampre positives in 12 months?

*cue blind Cunego fans declaring he's the epitome of cleanliness*

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
On the other hand, I think it was said they actually tested positive in those Tours...

So that could mean they used the newly discovered Dynepo test as in the Dekker case, OR, as was reported before, ASO tested the 'new test' they are going to use in the TdF.. (if those 2 don't overlap). If they test for Dynepo, I don't think big names will surface, because I doubt the big fish are using that (still).

dan martin was also at the tour of romandie

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Someone here (sorry, forgot who) posted a 'theory' about what was or wasn't in the interests of the UCI in terms of who gets busted. It'll be interesting to see just what 'level' of rider these names turn out to be. If the theory is right then it won't be any established names from today's pantheon (like Cancellara et al), but less known names, whose transgressions won't have a major impact.

Looking forward to this like my next toothache.

For that many riders to be caught in such a short period of time I have to think that a new test was unveiled. And that would <sort of> make sense, i.e. bust some people with the new test right before the Tour so riders know that can't use whatever drug it is during the Tour. Better than the bad publicity of more positives during the Tour (which I'm sure we'll get anyway).

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
issoisso said:
Uhh...no they're not :p

I misread Cyclingnews (blame their badly written copy) :p

...but stem from positive controls at this year's Tour de Romandie and the Tour de Suisse, according to the French newspaper, which is owned by the Tour organiser ASO.

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
hfer07 said:
I just wanted to say it once more:

UCI IS F*CKING UP THE SPORT

Unless you reckon they're actually feeding drugs to the riders, I don't think it's fair to hold them solely responsible; although they do seem to love making the absolute worst out of a bad situation.

No, it's these riders who are f*cking up the sport. The UCI are simply f*cking up the ASO.
The one licence Pat does have a tight hold on, once again, is the July hunting season.
Who would have thought the Monte Carlo team presentation is starting in half an hour?:(

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Aguirre said:
they will reveal the positives as a thriller movie acroos the tdF stages, and depending the results of these riders.

Insane

"This fall....Arnold Schwarzenegger is......Bernhard Kohl.....a mild-mannered athlete about to start the ride of his life."

linenoiz said:
I just hate how they wait until the tour. And then do it soo late that the teams can't replace a rider. For all the ASOs desires to squash doping, they certainly announce them when they think the publicity will be in their favor.

When the results are from tests just a couple of weeks ago I think it's good that they are made public ASAP (as opposed to Rebellins Olympic test taking several months before surfacing). Also, releasing them so late that teams can't replace a rider for TdF could be sort of a sneaky way of punishing the teams.

Aguirre said:
they will reveal the positives as a thriller movie acroos the tdF stages, and depending the results of these riders.

Insane

Maybe as each team comes up they will have a reality TV-style selection where the spotlight falls on each rider in turn and Pat McQuaid takes the Simon Cowell* role of 'you're through to the Prologue' or 'you failed.'

* judge on British (and US i think?) reality TV.

Jul 1, 2009
Visit site
Fishing for names

Would evaluating suspicious DNS's in Romandie and Suisse give any extra insight in the possible names? And were there any? Frank Schleck pops to mind, but I really hope it's not a big fish this time (with the exception of Kloden ;))

Kittel said:
Would evaluating suspicious DNS's in Romandie and Suisse give any extra insight in the possible names? And were there any? Frank Schleck pops to mind, but I really hope it's not a big fish this time (with the exception of Kloden ;))

From what i can see, Frank Schelck retired on the last stage when he was in 30th place. As he was unlikely to do well in the TT i dont see why he would want to do one other than practice for the tour? Maybe he didnt want to burn himself out?

TRENDING THREADS