• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frank schleck

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
TheBean said:
The title of the CN story from today is:

"Frank Schleck surprised by RadioShack dumping"

He is quoted in the story as being surprised by being dumped and proudly states that he did not look around for other work during his 12 month suspension.

What a complete moron!

Would any other employee be surprised if their employer did not renew their employment contract after said employee violated the terms of the employment contract by failing a drug test?

Radioshack invested heavily in Frank. Frank returned the favor by doing little other than bringing a lot of negative press to Radioshack while earning no marketing space during the past year.

In short, he was a terrible investement for his sponsors.

Still, he expresses "surprise" that the same sponsors won't pay him more.

There are several types of stupid. Unfortunatley, Frank Schleck has lived up to the definition of them all, and done so quite publicly.

Still, there are some on this forum who would cast aspersions at his employers. Let any of them make such a poor investment in an employe then re-hire that employee.

You do realize, however, that everyone is on the sauce and the sponsors are hypocrites. Sure Frank "deserves" to get fired, though the sponsors know that they invest in tainted merchandise. Hell Radio Shack entered the sport riding the wave of LA. Yet the signs were on the wall for anyone not completely moronic to have seen them.

rhubroma said:
You do realize, however, that everyone is on the sauce and the sponsors are hypocrites. Sure Frank "deserves" to get fired, though the sponsors know that they invest in tainted merchandise. Hell Radio Shack entered the sport riding the wave of LA. Yet the signs were on the wall for anyone not completely moronic to have seen them.

Agree, lots of dodgy characters involved with the project.

Hence my view that teams must eventually be punished when their riders mess up. The idea of "everybody" knows whats going on, plays along when things are going well, throws the rider under the bus when things fails (positive dope test) and continue as if nothing happened, just doesn't work well if we want the culture to change.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
rhubroma said:

I do realize they are (at least most of them) on something saucy. Hence my reference to being so dumb or careless as to be caught.

But, sponsors are paying for advertising space and for a ositive image in a sport tainted with plenty of negativity.

Shack did ride the LA wave even though there was so much writing on the wall. Still, though, LA's image in the US was still enormously positive and detractors were seen as "haters" no matter how much evidence ot knowledge they had. That all changed with LA's Oprah interviews - as far as the general public is concerned.

So now, Shack can sack Schleck and claim they are fighting for cleaner sport. Schleck gave them no choice, but is still "surprised".

His positive lumps him into a group with Di Luca, Ricco, Armstrong, and all of the other shameless cheats who got nabbed.

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Good riddance, curious on what happens to him next.
Is this the end of the Schlecks as a pair? Will Andy leave as well?

Its impossible to believe that Frank doped alone when the brothers seem so close. Im sure Andy had to clean up a bit and his association with his brother is suddenly not such a great story anymore.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I just heard a quote on the TV that Andy is surprised, too.

No one in their right mind would be surprised if someone's contract is terminated after being caught cheating and having to sit our a year as a punishment. Shack had a contract for Frank to race a bike. Frank couldn't race because he was suspended. That is a contract violation.

Andy is breaking rule #1:

It is OK to be stupid.

and

It is OK to talk to the media.

but

It is not OK to be stupid while talkng to the media!

Better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of being an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

TheBean said:
I do realize they are (at least most of them) on something saucy. Hence my reference to being so dumb or careless as to be caught.

But, sponsors are paying for advertising space and for a ositive image in a sport tainted with plenty of negativity.

Shack did ride the LA wave even though there was so much writing on the wall. Still, though, LA's image in the US was still enormously positive and detractors were seen as "haters" no matter how much evidence ot knowledge they had. That all changed with LA's Oprah interviews - as far as the general public is concerned.

So now, Shack can sack Schleck and claim they are fighting for cleaner sport. Schleck gave them no choice, but is still "surprised".

His positive lumps him into a group with Di Luca, Ricco, Armstrong, and all of the other shameless cheats who got nabbed.

Though why is the American public so susceptible to believing in fairy tales, I've asked, hence the moronic part. It's all propaganda and so the sponsors are as culpable as the riders they employ, because they know what's a going on, but just say tacitly "we don't care, so long as you don't get caught," as it merely concerns image management.

His positive simply lumps him in with 99% of the others, unfortunately.

May 23, 2010
Visit site
TheBean said:
I just heard a quote on the TV that Andy is surprised, too.

No one in their right mind would be surprised if someone's contract is terminated after being caught cheating and having to sit our a year as a punishment. Shack had a contract for Frank to race a bike. Frank couldn't race because he was suspended. That is a contract violation.

Andy is breaking rule #1:

It is OK to be stupid.

and

It is OK to talk to the media.

but

It is not OK to be stupid while talkng to the media!

Better to keep your mouth shut and be suspected of being an idiot than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Nice post. Bonus points for the Mark Twain reference.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
rhubroma said:
Though why is the American public so susceptible to believing in fairy tales, I've asked, hence the moronic part. It's all propaganda and so the sponsors are as culpable as the riders they employ, because they know what's a going on, but just say tacitly "we don't care, so long as you don't get caught," as it merely concerns image management.

His positive simply lumps him in with 99% of the others, unfortunately.

The American public seems to be easily influenced by a media campaign and a charming hero. Lance definately had an enormous media machine and those all-American good looks. He was idolized on the cover of somany magazines and his story was repeated over-and-over.

Most Americans have absolutely no understanding of cycling. It is a fringe sport here. Cyclists are almost a counter-culture in America. I think it is improving, but slowly.

As for other things Americans have believed include Milli Vanilli winning a Grammy award when they didn't even sing. We're easily duped, on a whole.

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I just read CN's report that Frank is likely headed to Astana.

Astana is becomming even more of a halfway house for rehabilitated dopers. IMO, more laughable than Shack in that regard.

The pattern is getting silly:

Climb the ranks - dope - get caught - serve a suspension - sign with Astana - ride in bright blue and yellow for a bit - **** clean a few times - sign with another team.

I truly feel sorry for the Kazach (sp?) riders who see the disgraced use their native team as a landing pad from a suspension and a springboard to another team.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
TheBean said:
I just read CN's report that Frank is likely headed to Astana.

Astana is becomming even more of a halfway house for rehabilitated dopers. IMO, more laughable than Shack in that regard.

The pattern is getting silly:

Climb the ranks - dope - get caught - serve a suspension - sign with Astana - ride in bright blue and yellow for a bit - **** clean a few times - sign with another team.

I truly feel sorry for the Kazach (sp?) riders who see the disgraced use their native team as a landing pad from a suspension and a springboard to another team.

And that's everything that's wrong with this sport. DS's who are unapologetic dopers hiring ex dopers soon to hire young riders who will be the next generation of dopers.

This is why it needs a grass roots clear out.

TRENDING THREADS