• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Frankenstorm threatens to destroy America

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Glenn_Wilson said:
George W. Bush turned off the Hurricane and the global warming switch when he left the white house.

Most of the storms in the Pacific end up being much larger than Atlantic storms. Warmer water and such. You guys in Australia take a beating from the things much more than the USA.

These Green logic never ceases to amaze me.

Actually I believe it's well documented that the US cops the worst weather of any continent.

auscyclefan94 said:
The storm in Queensland last year was bigger than Katrina I think.

Surely some stupid Green will come out and say before the storm that 'Global warming is causing these storms' and if the storm is not as bad as expected, they will say, 'it is only natural variation'....Green logic.:rolleyes: :D

Yes Cyclone Yasi was much bigger than Katrina but didn't cause anywhere near as much damage.

97% of published and peer reviewed climate scientists are saying the same thing. That storms are getting bigger and more frequent due to global warming.

Unfortunately the deniers have been labelling climate scientists as "stupid" for years. But in the face of 1600km storm systems I don't think anyone's paying much attention to deniers anymore. People can see with their own eyes that things are not right.

Polyarmour said:
I don't think anyone's paying much attention to deniers anymore. People can see with their own eyes that things are not right.

I gave up a few years ago now extending credit to "people" and what many are able to see on their own. That this issue gets made into political football in various countries only makes matters worse.

Already there's concern in New York, for example, that once the debris is cleared away and things return to "normal," that there won't even be that much concern for infrastructural development. This is likely the worst, but not the first time by any means that the obsolescence of the subway switching system has been made apparent.

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
aphronesis said:
Already there's concern in New York, for example, that once the debris is cleared away and things return to "normal," that there won't even be that much concern for infrastructural development. This is likely the worst, but not the first time by any means that the obsolescence of the subway switching system has been made apparent.
Thing is, this might just be the new "normal". Irene last year, Sandy this year, they'll keep on coming, and not only will the storms be bigger and stronger, the flooding will be worse.

After rising roughly an inch per decade in the last century, coastal waters in New York are expected to climb as fast as six inches per decade, or two feet by midcentury, according to a city-appointed scientific panel. That much more water means the city’s flood risk zones could expand in size...What scientists, who have devoted years of research to the subject, now fear most is that, as soon as the cleanup from this storm is over, the public will move on.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/n...-that-storm-damage-could-ravage-new-york.html

Like the response to Katrina, hey, we'll just build bigger and bigger levees - simply addressing the symptoms but not the underlying causes. Up until now much of the rise in sea levels can be attributed to thermal expansion but just wait until the terrestrial ice caps start melting ;)

btw check out these photos of the NYC subway system:

http://media.talkingpointsmemo.com/slideshow/new-york-subway-sandy/1-284044

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
mikeNphilly said:
All controlled by HAARP
My favorite conspiracy theory about HAARP is how it can be projected directly into people's brains to alter their moods.

storms taking a almost 90 degree left hand turn in the middle of the ocean...never happened before.
It has happened before, but only under very unusual circumstances.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html?entrynum=2283

Blocking ridges occur naturally, but are uncommon over Greenland this time of year. According to NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, blocking near the longitude of Greenland (50°W) only occurs about 2% of the time in the fall. These odds rise to about 6% in winter and spring. As I discussed in an April post, Arctic sea ice loss tied to unusual jet stream patterns, three studies published in the past year have found that the jet stream has been getting stuck in unusually strong blocking patterns in recent years. These studies found that the recent record decline in Arctic sea ice could be responsible, since this heats up the pole, altering the Equator-to-pole temperature difference, forcing the jet stream to slow down, meander, and get stuck in large loops. The 2012 Arctic sea ice melt season was extreme, with sea ice extent hitting a record lows. Could sea ice loss have contributed to the blocking ridge that steered Sandy into New Jersey? It is possible, but we will need to much more research on the subject before we make such a link, as the studies of sea ice loss on jet stream patterns are so new. The author of one of the new studies, Dr. Jennifer Francis of Rutgers, had this say in a recent post by Andy Revkin in his Dot Earth blog: "While it’s impossible to say how this scenario might have unfolded if sea-ice had been as extensive as it was in the 1980s, the situation at hand is completely consistent with what I’d expect to see happen more often as a result of unabated warming and especially the amplification of that warming in the Arctic."
Better start getting used to it.

VeloCity said:
Thing is, this might just be the new "normal". Irene last year, Sandy this year, they'll keep on coming, and not only will the storms be bigger and stronger, the flooding will be worse.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/31/n...-that-storm-damage-could-ravage-new-york.html

Like the response to Katrina, hey, we'll just build bigger and bigger levees - simply addressing the symptoms but not the underlying causes. Up until now much of the rise in sea levels can be attributed to thermal expansion but just wait until the terrestrial ice caps start melting ;)

btw check out these photos of the NYC subway system:

http://media.talkingpointsmemo.com/slideshow/new-york-subway-sandy/1-284044

Right all that is understood, but I wasn't talking meteorological normal so much as day to day functional. Things will get restored and not all storms will be bad. Irene only affected a few areas last year, but for those without bikes or cars it was impossible to get anywhere or get anything until the subway could be brought online. So likely much like the post 9/11 loss of civil liberties, there will be a move toward greater securitization against ecological crises and catastrophes; a proliferation of administrative and diagnostic occupations in anticipation of said crises; and little done to reconfigure the country in more positive terms toward the issues at root.

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Simply not true. Don't be sucked into the lies from Green groups.

EDIT: Perhaps, posting this here was a little inappropriate. I will take my graphs down...

Ahahah denying global warming? You must either have the brain size of an ant or have sex with Rupert Murdoch on a daily basis. Either way, you're never to be taken serious again.

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Faked

Afrank said:
Who would've thought we would see sharks coming inland
Stay safe to everyone on the east coast.
602618_433684226691967_151694183_n.jpg

fakesharkboom.jpg

fakesharkgif.gif

source: Sorting the Real Sandy Photos From the Fakes

Der Effe said:
Ahahah denying global warming? You must either have the brain size of an ant or have sex with Rupert Murdoch on a daily basis. Either way, you're never to be taken serious again.

Actually I am finding ACF's conversion to American style conservatism a source of great amusement, especially since he is safely ensconced down there in Australia where the people are protected by national health care, something that Romney has vowed to get rid of what little equivalent there is in the U.S.

BroDeal said:
Actually I am finding ACF's conversion to American style conservatism a source of great amusement, especially since he is safely ensconced down there in Australia where the people are protected by national health care, something that Romney has vowed to get rid of what little equivalent there is in the U.S.

If i recall correctly, Billy Graham got his largest ever live audience for a preaching or whatever they call it in Melbourne. Tens of thousands more than he ever managed to pack in in New York or Texas.

So there seems to be some sort of US like conservative base down there.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
If i recall correctly, Billy Graham got his largest ever live audience for a preaching or whatever they call it in Melbourne. Tens of thousands more than he ever managed to pack in in New York or Texas.

So there seems to be some sort of US like conservative base down there.

Yep, we have our crazies too, unfortunately.......

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Rupert Murdoch is Australian. 'nuff said. ;)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Old Metro Bus sale going on here where I'm at. These things are dirt cheap and in serious need of repair. I was thinking to purchase one and drive it back and forth to work. The diesel engines put out so much smoke if you are stuck behind the things it would be like turning the lights out.

Yep I am going to buy me a couple of them and use one for spare parts. Someone here at my office said I should offer to give folks a ride into work on my bus but I told him to go get ****ed! I will be the only passenger in my own full size Metro Bus.

It is the least I can do to make sure that these big hunks of steel and other materials do not find their way into the wrong hands to be recycled or something like that.

Glenn_Wilson said:
Old Metro Bus sale going on here where I'm at. These things are dirt cheap and in serious need of repair. I was thinking to purchase one and drive it back and forth to work. The diesel engines put out so much smoke if you are stuck behind the things it would be like turning the lights out.

Yep I am going to buy me a couple of them and use one for spare parts. Someone here at my office said I should offer to give folks a ride into work on my bus but I told him to go get ****ed! I will be the only passenger in my own full size Metro Bus.

It is the least I can do to make sure that these big hunks of steel and other materials do not find their way into the wrong hands to be recycled or something like that.

maybe you could donate it to an environmental refugee camp

http://occupywallst.org/

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Glenn_Wilson said:

You might want to rethink living in Houston.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/jun2009/2009-06-10-091.asp

http://blog.nature.org/2011/06/cities-climate-change-resilient-jeff-opperman-vulnerable/

Drum roll please: The top five U.S. cities that are most resilient/least vulnerable to climate change are: Cleveland, Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago and Minneapolis.

The bottom five (the least resilient/most vulnerable) are: Phoenix, Houston, Sacramento, Las Vegas and Miami.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
aphronesis said:
maybe you could donate it to an environmental refugee camp

http://occupywallst.org/

I like your idea. They sure could use some old metro buses in NYC these days.:(

The storms was weak and still done all this damage. Somebody better get on the phone to President Obama and tell him to check that Hurricane switch to ensure it is in the OFF position. I think some republican must have sneaked in and turned it ON trying to make an a$$ out of the administration or something like that.

Did anyone catch CNN last evening? The people in Staten Island said they had not seen FEMA at all? Someone help me out....how many days since the storm hit? How many days to prepare?

The Federal government should increase the amount of money we give to FEMA considering what a great job they do of managing these disasters. :rolleyes:

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
VeloCity said:

I hear you man. Just a hint, I no longer Permanently reside in the city of Houston or the State of Texas. Never got around to modifying my profile.

Anyhow I do vote there so technically I guess you could say I have some interest on the status above sea level and all.

According to Anderson Cooper on CNN last night the ocean levels are rising 100 feet a year! ..........then he caught himself and said maybe more like an inch? I have trouble keeping up with the current sea level predictions but lets just say it is a concern.

TRENDING THREADS