• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1043 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

MartinGT said:
Saint Unix said:
There is no legal limit for clenbuterol. Any amount of it is a doping offence. If I recall correctly, the story at the time was that there was so little of it in his blood that only one lab in the world was able to actually detect it in his sample, but since it was there and the contaminated beef cover story wasn't believed, he got slapped with a ban.

I'm sure they only detected it because it went to a different lab that tests below a certain level than normal. I maybe wrong like.
You know that brings me to a theory I have always had about the AC's finding and the same thought occured to me about Froome's finding. That is - they (the Authz) knew what they were looking for. I get the feeling for AC there was pre-tip off, the search seemed so precise, that I always suspected a tip-off. I will not name possible names, could also have been an anonymous tip. Froome as well, he got away with a lot over the years, suddenly they find this stuff?? I just think they knew what they were looking for, a tip off? He did tick off a number of key of sky-related people in the last few months, I say no more. Plus Guardian finding out? Just like the German paper that found out about AC?

The playbook is really very similar...Marion Jones would not have been found out if the tip off (with the mailed in syringe) was not sent. I really think Authz are far behind the athletes unless there is a tip-off.

Merckx index said:
...At this point, I’d say that in descending order of probability, the explanations are intentional oral dosing >> accidentally inhaled too much > blood transfusion....

.... He has to show that he can get a 2000 ng/ml urine level by taking the drug within the allowed limit. The way to maximize this possibility is to take 800 ug, wait several hours, then provide the urine sample. While 1600 ug/24 hr is allowed, he would have to wait 12 hr after taking the 800 ug, by which time most of it would have been excreted from the urine. Some would be left, but not a great deal....

The real problem for Dawg is in the entire history of testing in cycling, none of the busted dopers has gotten remotely close to his 2000 ng/ml level. And every argument has been used, dehydration, maximal efforts etc etc. If it was as simple as having a few puffs and not having a piss, then there would be hundreds of positives as somehow the entire peleton has asthma.

How to get to 2000? After 6 hours of racing? I think it's a confluence of ALL the explanations being contributing factors....intentional oral doping with a mistaken higher dose, happily puffing on the inhaler for show, and a blood bag full of OOC Sal. Marginal gains

Aaannndddd...Sal was only part of the cocktail. A small part, easily overlooked as almost insignificant. That's why it's a surprise, and why they don't have a simple explanation even three months later

Red Rick said:
I don't see Froome passing that test, unless he finds a way to get additional salbutamol in there too.

What would stop him from taking a pill or 2 on the day before he goes to take the pk test. Nice and high levels before he gets to the lab even, takes a few more puffs for show and hes over the limit again.

Merckx index said:
red_flanders said:
I'm not convinced the discussion on concentration addressed the possibility I suggested. The got something wrong, not sure what is most or least likely.

Red, I don’t think transfusion is going to add much. The factor of 50-100 I suggested is probably an underestimate, and doesn’t take into account another important factor, the relatively rapid rate of clearance; as much as half of the salbutamol may be excreted in the urine within 3 – 4 hours. This means that unless Froome transfused right before the start of the stage, and didn’t relieve himself at any point along the way, he wouldn’t have peak urine concentration when tested at the end of the stage (Froome finished the stage in a time of about 4:20; I don’t know how long after he finished he would have been tested?). If he transfused the evening before, the concentration in his blood would be reduced by a further factor of ten or so. Even if he transfused the morning of the stage, say, shortly after he woke up, there would be a reduction of maybe five times or so. There are, to be sure, a lot of assumptions of linearity underlying these calculations, but when you're talking about several orders of magnitude, they shouldn't matter much. And since the case against Froome doesn't hinge on proving that he transfused, I wouldn't expect any scientific experts who are more familiar with the kinetics than I am to address this in more detail, anyway.

At this point, I’d say that in descending order of probability, the explanations are intentional oral dosing >> accidentally inhaled too much > blood transfusion.

Wrt Contador, since CB is a non-threshold substance, any detectable amount is an AAF. So while the same general math applies to calculating the original amount that would have to be present in the blood during withdrawal, this amount would not have to be very large to produce the very tiny amount detected. Another important difference is that CB is cleared much more slowly than salbutamol; it’s half-life is about ten times greater. This means, among other things, that whether he urinated or not during the stage really doesn’t matter, nor does the timing of the transfusion. One of the most critical aspects of this case, which I can't emphasize enough, is that whether and when Froome urinated makes a really big difference. See below for one important implication.

Comparing the two cases, there are relative advantages and disadvantages for each rider. I think the most important advantage that Froome has at this point is that while CB is well known to have performance enhancing effects, the view is more controversial with salbutamol. There are studies showing it does, and ones showing it doesn’t, and most of the former seem to be anaerobic effects. If this case gets as far as CAS (which I assume it probably would if Froome can’t establish a 2000 ng/ml level in the lab), where not only physical evidence but the motive or psychological state of the rider can also be considered, Froome will definitely point this out, and don’t think for a minute that he can’t find scientific experts who will back him up on this. In fact, that could be one of the benefits of the case, with each side laying out the evidence for and against salbutamol as a performance enhancer.

One other important point I want to mention. Even if Froome wins the case, it could be on a technicality. He has to show that he can get a 2000 ng/ml urine level by taking the drug within the allowed limit. The way to maximize this possibility is to take 800 ug, wait several hours, then provide the urine sample. While 1600 ug/24 hr is allowed, he would have to wait 12 hr after taking the 800 ug, by which time most of it would have been excreted from the urine. Some would be left, but not a great deal.

So suppose he does this, and manages just to get to the 2000 ng/ml level. Presumably, he’s cleared, and all the media will trumpet how he was innocent, didn’t dope, etc. But on the actual stage, is that how it would have happened? For the stage to be like that, he would have to take the entire 800 ug dose right before the start and not stop to relieve himself at any point along the way. But we already know this isn’t entirely true, because he said he took three puffs at the end. And probably when he furnishes the data he claims he has, it will turn out that that he took some of it during the stage. Maybe he urinated. We will find out.

But the bottom line is that the actual stage conditions will almost certainly be different, less conducive to maximum urine level, than the lab. So if he barely makes the 2000 ng/ml level in the lab, he not only has not shown that he could have done it on the stage, it will be strong evidence that he couldn’t have done it on the stage. If he got cleared under those circumstances, there would still be very good reason to doubt that he was within the rules on the stage.

Appreciate the detailed discussion. I don't really have any issue with anything you're saying, but in these things it's been the history that well-meaning and very smart experts in these topics have disagreed so I'm just saying that while I very much respect your opinion and effort, I'm happy to wait a while before I become convinced. I don't think it's at all unlikely that he infused before the stage, and I also think the amount of Salbutamol they might have been using in a training block right before the Vuelta could have been a big dose to cut weight. Not sure if you're taking that into account or if that would matter. Thanks MI.

There are clearly other explanations and I'm not hung on that one at all. Oral seems quite likely, I agree.

sittingbison said:
Merckx index said:
...At this point, I’d say that in descending order of probability, the explanations are intentional oral dosing >> accidentally inhaled too much > blood transfusion....

.... He has to show that he can get a 2000 ng/ml urine level by taking the drug within the allowed limit. The way to maximize this possibility is to take 800 ug, wait several hours, then provide the urine sample. While 1600 ug/24 hr is allowed, he would have to wait 12 hr after taking the 800 ug, by which time most of it would have been excreted from the urine. Some would be left, but not a great deal....

The real problem for Dawg is in the entire history of testing in cycling, none of the busted dopers has gotten remotely close to his 2000 ng/ml level. And every argument has been used, dehydration, maximal efforts etc etc. If it was as simple as having a few puffs and not having a piss, then there would be hundreds of positives as somehow the entire peleton has asthma.

How to get to 2000? After 6 hours of racing? I think it's a confluence of ALL the explanations being contributing factors....intentional oral doping with a mistaken higher dose, happily puffing on the inhaler for show, and a blood bag full of OOC Sal. Marginal gains

Aaannndddd...Sal was only part of the cocktail. A small part, easily overlooked as almost insignificant. That's why it's a surprise, and why they don't have a simple explanation even three months later

Yeah I'm not convinced that Salbutamol on it's own is going to give that much advantage for road riders. It would be much more effective for track riders in short explosive races. Whatever gain was just part of a the big picture I think. And Ulissi's superior form pre ban may not have been just due to Salbutamol.

rote_laterne said:
70kmph said:
LeMonde Article

http://www.lemonde.fr/cyclisme/arti...che-avant-plusieurs-mois_5229561_1616656.html

Froome hasn't yet taken the lab test

Froome was instructed to take 3 puffs by his Doctor after the finish then go to the controls :eek:

But why would his "doctor" advise this and Froome follow that advise when he wasn't ill like he said after the stage (someone even posted a youtube link to the interview).

Also if it's right that his test results means 40 puffs how can 3 puffs right before doping control explain his test results? Also very unlikely that he took 3 puffs and didn't drink to reduce his dehydration.

His reason for this was to do the post race interview without coughing, being out of breath

ngent41 said:
Red Rick said:
I don't see Froome passing that test, unless he finds a way to get additional salbutamol in there too.

What would stop him from taking a pill or 2 on the day before he goes to take the pk test. Nice and high levels before he gets to the lab even, takes a few more puffs for show and hes over the limit again.
Presumably they will take a urine sample before the test as well

LaFlorecita said:
ngent41 said:
Red Rick said:

Presumably they will take a urine sample before the test as well

You would hope so! :lol:

sittingbison said:
Merckx index said:

I'm actually with you on this. Mostly anyway. The standalone mistake of a high dose of Salbutamol just makes no sense.

The theory starting to gain traction that no way he could get this from an inhaler, so maybe it was pills, and he got his doses wrong, took too many etc....sorry, again just doesn't make sense. We know Sky can be stupid, but this is only really when they open their mouths. That's when stupid stuff comes out. When it comes to planning, method, process and procedures i think we still have to acknowledge that until proven otherwise they're pretty good at this. So would they make such a stupid mistake as giving Froome the wrong strength pills? I don't think so.

Then we have the 'boost' that we saw between stages 17 and 18. Salbutamol may have some mild weight management benefits and anabolic properties (i would say anti catabolic is more accurate) as part of a long term programme in high doses. But its not, as far as i understand it, the overnight gamechanger.

But we did indeed see a big change from stage 17 to 18, unlikely to be just coincidence. There is the possibility that Froome, knowing he was not well just rode to limit his losses, whilst Nibali et al buried themselves and paid for it the next day, making Froome look good. But not likely, and the timing of the test and this boost cannot be ignored.

So, something happened before stage 18. The blood bag theory looks increasingly unlikely. EPO, dont think so. But something. Who knows what new drugs/methods are in the game. One thing that even the best minds struggle to accurately predict is interactions between drugs until there's contemporary evidence gathered over time of such. Sports teams experimenting with relatively new products would be unlikely to be fully on top of such things.

So the theory that Froome did just up his usual salbutamol doseage within the limits, but other drugs being used to give that boost after stage 17 were responsible for some kind of interaction that triggered this test is as plausible for me as any other.

If indeed there is any truth in this theory then the drugs we're talking about other than salbutamol didn't show up in the test. So nothing to stop him using those drugs again to trigger a similar reaction in the pharmacokinetic study.

Maybe that's why its taking him so long to prepare for the study....

Just one more wild theory to add to the list!

Doing a blood bag for good ol' performance boost is one thing, getting excess amounts of salbutamol from it is quite another. I think MI (and others) have made reasonable arguments to discount for the latter possibility. But I think a BB is still quite possible in the more traditional sense, given the performance gain.

As to how exactly they messed up and ended up with a salbutamol positive in their hands I guess we'll have to wait and see.

lefourbe said:
Hey guys,

I am new here. I have been waiting for that moment for a quite while but still a bit disappointed that it's "only" Salbutamol. Excess of Salbutamol doesn't explain crazy past performances (Ventoux, ST Martin, etc..) What really puzzles me is that there is not any journalist doing some real digging for Froome like they did for Lance. For example, talk to former Barloword teams mates to check if Froome had potential, was doping at the time, had asthma, Bilarzia, etc.. Also, check with hotel manager in Tenerife if they really were "zealous" about that missed test. The journalist could also investigate his blood values from bio passport by talking to former panelists. Are they too "clean"? Basically, he won't probably gather real proof but a lot of small hints that would increase pressure and help us to find out the truth.
I think they are plenty of ways to find out if he is fraud or not. What we have now is just the tip of the iceberg. What I want to know and probably other clean riders is that what is he really on (BB, microdosing, new drugs, motor, etc..)?

1. former colleagues will not speak, or do not know. why should they? to help the fight against cheating? :p
2. maybe you misunderstood, it wasnt Tenerife, he missed the test in Italy

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Froome has two ways to dodge a ban

The second and last resort is to go into the UCI lab and try to replicate the elevated output with a legal input. Good luck with that, Chris :D

Prior to that Froome's lawyer will be trying every trick in the book to get him off on a legal/procedural technicality. Bear in mind the same lawyer got Armitstead off by challenging every aspect of all 3 of her missed whereabouts tests (he got lucky when CAS went with 1 of his many lines of attack). And the same lawyer had Liverpool football player Mamadou Sahko's ban lifted by persuading UEFA to drop the fat burning drug Sahko had taken from the banned list (that's a nice trick if you can pull it)

A complicating factor for Froome is the suggestion in Walsh's second article in yesterday's ST which say that Brailsford is hanging Froome out to dry over the salbutamol bust to retaliate for Froome's lack of support over the Wiggo TUE/jiffybag sagas, including that Sky are refusing to fund Froome's defence (remember Sky also refused to fund JTL's defence). Which is odd given Froome's initial "just following the team doctor's orders" defence and that if Froome goes down then Sky will most likely fold. But Brailsford has a thing for irrational decision making at key moments eh

In the meantime if Froome is funding his own "leave no stone un-turned" defence then things will get expensive very quickly. Especially Froome is banned and inevitably appeals to CAS

Wiggo's Package said:

The second and last resort is to go into the UCI lab and try to replicate the elevated output with a legal input. Good luck with that, Chris :D

Prior to that Froome's lawyer will be trying every trick in the book to get him off on a legal/procedural technicality. Bear in mind the same lawyer got Armitstead off by challenging every aspect of all 3 of her missed whereabouts tests (he got lucky when CAS went with 1 of his many lines of attack). And the same lawyer had Liverpool football player Mamadou Sahko's ban lifted by persuading UEFA to drop the fat burning drug Sahko had taken from the banned list (that's a nice trick if you can pull it)

A complicating factor for Froome is the suggestion in Walsh's second article in yesterday's ST which say that Brailsford is hanging Froome out to dry over the salbutamol bust to retaliate for Froome's lack of support over the Wiggo TUE/jiffybag sagas, including that Sky are refusing to fund Froome's defence (remember Sky also refused to fund JTL's defence). Which is odd given Froome's initial "just following the team doctor's orders" defence and that if Froome goes down then Sky will most likely fold. But Brailsford has a thing for irrational decision making at key moments eh

In the meantime if Froome is funding his own "leave no stone un-turned" defence then things will get expensive very quickly. Especially Froome is banned and inevitably appeals to CAS

Really? I didnt see that...if true then that is a very significant development indeed.

Although my guess, based on events in the Walt Disney boardroom and completely aside from the whole Froome saga, is that they only have a limited amount of funding now to see them through to 2020 (at best). After that, they need to fend for themselves.

So yes, a multi million pound legal process may not be something they want to contemplate.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site

brownbobby said:
Wiggo's Package said:

Really? I didnt see that...if true then that is a very significant development indeed.

Although my guess, based on events in the Walt Disney boardroom and completely aside from the whole Froome saga, is that they only have a limited amount of funding now to see them through to 2020 (at best). After that, they need to fend for themselves.

So yes, a multi million pound legal process may not be something they want to contemplate.

Have you read the article? This is the quote: "A source within the team claimed it would be presumptuous to believe that Team Sky were funding Froome's defence. Officially, the team refuses to say"

Wiggo's Package said:
brownbobby said:
Wiggo's Package said:

Have you read the article? This is the quote: "A source within the team claimed it would be presumptuous to believe that Team Sky were funding Froome's defence. Officially, the team refuses to say"

No i haven't and couldn't find it. That's why i asked. Thanks.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site

Wiggo's Package said:

During the TDF when GThomas and MichaelK were higher than Froome at the top, I suggested that Brailsford wanted to get Froome for the lack of support during his crisis. Folks said how can that be! and pointed to Sky resigning Froome for big money as a sign of all is forgiven and good.

It did not make sense to me knowing human condition and behavior, this Brailsford support did not add up, the guy dissed him! I said lets wait and see, a setup? Now Froome has his own crisis. Interesting I say. it seems Authz knew what they were looking for.

You know AC's ClenB I still say may be related to the way he exited Astana. It seems Authz knew wha they were looking for. Did not surprise me the way Aru quietly left Astana, pulled a fast one, smart guy, perhaps the peloton too had their suspicions about AC's ClenB and everyone wised up.

Wiggo's Package said:
brownbobby said:
Wiggo's Package said:

That's a long way from confirming that Sky are hanging Froome out to dry. And the fact that Walsh wrote it makes me more inclined to believe the opposite is true

Eyeballs Out said:
Wiggo's Package said:
brownbobby said:
Wiggo's Package said:

That's a long way from confirming that Sky are hanging Froome out to dry. And the fact that Walsh wrote it makes me more inclined to believe the opposite is true

Clearly there is no love lost between DB and CF, so this could be a way for DB to jettison CF assuming it does not do terminal damage to Team Sky although I doubt they engineered it explictly, too risky I would have thought. They can then push Geraint as their primary GT rider together Kwiato possibly and Poels.

bigcog said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Wiggo's Package said:
brownbobby said:
Wiggo's Package said:

Clearly there is no love lost between DB and CF, so this could be a way for DB to jettison CF assuming it does not do terminal damage to Team Sky although I doubt they engineered it explictly, too risky I would have thought. They can then push Geraint as their primary GT rider together Kwiato possibly and Poels.

The great unknown in the equation is Disney riding high with Star Wars. Is there an appetite for this sort of crap at board level? I doubt it.

The great unknown in the equation is Disney riding high with Star Wars. Is there an appetite for this sort of crap at board level? I doubt it.[/quote]

When Lance was riding high, when people still believed in miracles, maybe.

But now, post Lance era...its hard to imagine any company in the world who would be less interested in having any kind of link to Pro cycling.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re:

meat puppet said:
Doing a blood bag for good ol' performance boost is one thing, getting excess amounts of salbutamol from it is quite another. I think MI (and others) have made reasonable arguments to discount for the latter possibility. But I think a BB is still quite possible in the more traditional sense, given the performance gain.

As to how exactly they messed up and ended up with a salbutamol positive in their hands I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Indeed.

Like others have said on here Sky have clearly been up to some chemistry 'experimentation' with Froome and I suspect at the bottom of this is a monumental f**k up in a physicians calculations. The human body isn't a fixed variable as much as Sky's sports scientists would like to believe. Nor is Skys attention to detail what they claim it to be - we know this from jiffygate.

I reckon the salbutamol (along with other chemicals) was combined as an orally administered 'accelerator' to a bag and whatever else was in that bag. His doc's calculated the glow time over the stage and simply got it wrong - everything had cleared through but the salbutamol was left behind.

Maybe Matt Lawtons source spiked his drink bottle before the stage :lol: :lol:

brownbobby said:
The great unknown in the equation is Disney riding high with Star Wars. Is there an appetite for this sort of crap at board level? I doubt it.

When Lance was riding high, when people still believed in miracles, maybe.

But now, post Lance era...its hard to imagine any company in the world who would be less interested in having any kind of link to Pro cycling.

We know that Murdoch senior dumped the News of the World. It would make sense if junior does something similar. If the UCI throw the book at Froome and SKY then this would be their excuse and wouldn't cost much to boot. (Apologies, as I know this should be in the SKY thread.)