• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1063 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't resist the temptation and also had a go at the poetry business. I stuck to the limerick form, but I went with a more narrative approach. Man I don't know why I'm wasting (part of) a Christmas afternoon on this tomfoolery. :p

This is the tragic tale of Froome
A man who could not forego his doom
Aiming to be the world's best,
In both timetrial and climb fest
The Sky was his womb

In Kenya he learned to ride
And soon to Great Britain he would stride
For his limit the Sky
"If only hard enough I try"
He thought "glory has nowhere for me to hide"

But his ambitions did not reality prod
For Froome was no cycling god
Clinging to a motorbike, what a farce
He was supposed to war to victory as cycling's Mars
And thus enters David the fraud

Soon temptation entered his mind
"Where marginal gains to find?"
Once zigzagging on Italian hills
Froome now took to salbutamol pills
Skyward up Ventoux he'd grind

It all began in Spain
The marginal gains had not been in vain
Soon he'd win in France
And might have in Italy perchance
Victory his daily grain

Soaring to new elevation
He now also found trepidation
With Bradley and Brailsford fallen from the Sky
Might perhaps Froome's fate too draw nigh?
Subject to critic's flagellation

Hounded by the clinician,
Often facing derision,
Soon he found,
Notwithstanding the defense of lady Cound,
His name prone to perdition.

And thus thinking he had won
Like Icarus he flew too close to the sun
One positive test of marginal gain
All his hard work now in vain
His wyrd could not be foregone

Alas, the tragic tale of Froome
A man who could not forego his doom
Aiming to be the world's best
In both timetrial and climb fest
The Sky was his tomb

S2Sturges said:
spalco said:
El Pistolero said:
You can't blame people taking justice into their own hands when the courts failed.

Uh, yes, you certainly can. I would at least.

eta: And the courts haven't failed here (yet). I don't think he's getting off, and I hope he won't ride the Tour if the case hasn't concluded before july.

Listened with great interest to Paul Kimmage’s interview, he certainly isn’t one to mince his words or not make his feelings known, and he’s right to do so, this whole Froome affair stinks. I do, however, wonder somethings maybe more enlightened forum members could clarify.

Can the ASO just not invite him to their races, Le Tour and others? it’s their race, if they feel someone is a detriment to the race, can the ASO tell the teams that..?
If he has his legal team drag out possibly indefinitely their defense and he’s free to race, what’s to stop the ASO from saying,
ah, not this year, Chris….

What might be the legal obligations of race organisers during say, the Giro, if the tifosi get out of hand, knock him off his bike and injury him so he can’t continue, with finish that race or continue for future races… ?
If it’s proven that Froome was specifically the target of wrath, can Sky sue the race organisers if he has to stop racing either, at that race or any others….

I guess the last big question was why didn’t the UCI suspend him right after the AAF, other than Cookson sitting on the findings and wishing would all blow away/ I admit my obvious lack of knowledge in the workings of all these organisations, but should not the new president of the UCI, reacted to that news immediately..?

Again, apologies for asking possibly daft questions..
Who are we kidding?

9 month ban, lost Vuelta, lost medal, no fee to participate in Giro and allow him to race in France. They were throwing urine and spitting at him without a positive. Imagine what would happen in those mountains next year if he participates.

Escarabajo said:
Who are we kidding?

9 month ban, lost Vuelta, lost medal, no fee to participate in Giro and allow him to race in France. They were throwing urine and spitting at him without a positive. Imagine what would happen in those mountains next year if he participates.

Is that your opinion or your nightmare scenario?

Escarabajo said:
S2Sturges said:
spalco said:
El Pistolero said:
You can't blame people taking justice into their own hands when the courts failed.

eta: And the courts haven't failed here (yet). I don't think he's getting off, and I hope he won't ride the Tour if the case hasn't concluded before july.

Listened with great interest to Paul Kimmage’s interview, he certainly isn’t one to mince his words or not make his feelings known, and he’s right to do so, this whole Froome affair stinks. I do, however, wonder somethings maybe more enlightened forum members could clarify.

Can the ASO just not invite him to their races, Le Tour and others? it’s their race, if they feel someone is a detriment to the race, can the ASO tell the teams that..?
If he has his legal team drag out possibly indefinitely their defense and he’s free to race, what’s to stop the ASO from saying,

What might be the legal obligations of race organisers during say, the Giro, if the tifosi get out of hand, knock him off his bike and injury him so he can’t continue, with finish that race or continue for future races… ?
If it’s proven that Froome was specifically the target of wrath, can Sky sue the race organisers if he has to stop racing either, at that race or any others….

I guess the last big question was why didn’t the UCI suspend him right after the AAF, other than Cookson sitting on the findings and wishing would all blow away/ I admit my obvious lack of knowledge in the workings of all these organisations, but should not the new president of the UCI, reacted to that news immediately..?

Who are we kidding?

It was probably warm beer but he should be alright at the Tour as ASO doesn't want any rider assaulted so will be pepared.

Angliru said:
Escarabajo said:
S2Sturges said:
spalco said:
El Pistolero said:

Who are we kidding?

It was probably warm beer but he should be alright at the Tour as ASO doesn't want any rider assaulted so will be pepared.

No cycling fan or decent person should want that

spalco said:
Escarabajo said:
Who are we kidding?

It didn't sound good when I wrote it.

There are worse things that could happen to somebody but for the doping offense that he did plus his image is tarnished forever (officially), I'd say is a bad outcome.

The Clinic had stuck in its craw
The notion that Froome broke the law
But he’ll yet be their hero
When Chris wins the Giro
Til then you can smell his chamois. :lol:

And ... if Froome is exonerated ....

“ It’s beginning to look a lot like Chris passed .... :lol:

Escarabajo said:
spalco said:
Escarabajo said:
Who are we kidding?

There are worse things that could happen to somebody but for the doping offense that he did plus his image is tarnished forever (officially), I'd say is a bad outcome.

Is it not a tradition that multiple Tour winners get punched? :D
https://www.bicycling.com/racing/2015-tour-de-france/who-punched-eddy-merckx

Robert5091 said:
Escarabajo said:
spalco said:
Escarabajo said:
Who are we kidding?

So ... some members of the clinic would like to see Froome roughed up a bit out on the road?

Remember .... these are elite, 1 in a million athletes. If he does get punched, wouldn’t be surprised to see Dawg flick out a nasty Froch, Groves jab.

“Punching Spectator Arrested After Being Decked by Froome: Dawg Wins Stage”

Ouch! :lol:

Alpe73 said:
Robert5091 said:
Escarabajo said:
spalco said:
Escarabajo said:
Who are we kidding?

So ... some members of the clinic would like to see Froome roughed up a bit out on the road?

Remember .... these are elite, 1 in a million athletes. If he does get punched, wouldn’t be surprised to see Dawg flick out a nasty Froch, Groves jab.

“Punching Spectator Arrested After Being Decked by Froome: Dawg Wins Stage”

Ouch! :lol:
I didn't say that and certainly I didn't see it in the answers to my post either.

I would really be concerned about Froome's safety if he participates in the next Tour de France, whether he miraculously managed to dodge a conviction or gets some weird back-dated pseudo-ban or the case is still open by July.

I like Froome as an athlete and still do, but he's done. If he takes a real ban like a man and comes back, that would be ok with me, but not even I could support him in a scenario like Escarabajo described earlier.
It's just, I don't know, too much of a provocation.

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
Robert5091 said:
Aaaahh! Now I get the 'slithering reptile' http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/42363825 insult ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/chris-froome-rider-on-the-storm-10415129.html
As a boy, Chris Froome had two unusual pets: a pair of pythons. They needed feeding, and their meals had to be alive. Mice at first, then rats. But as they grew they needed something more filling. So he raided the rabbit hutches in the kindergarten across the road.

“Young children would arrive at the class next day and their little baby bunny rabbits would be gone,” he wrote in last year’s autobiography, The Climb. The rabbits would squeal as the snakes tucked in, he recalled. “I felt like intervening and stopping it. But the pythons had to be fed and it was my responsibility.” From the outset Chris Froome did what had to be done.

It does somewhat annoy me that people laugh and mock this story even celebrate Froome. It was awful behaviour even by child standards and the pride with which an adult Froome recounts killing animals for fun at such a young age is disturbing.

What was worse about the pythons in my opinion is Froome also used to feed them live prey - mice and such.

I'm with animal rights activists that this is a practise that should be forbidden.

He boasts in his book that he remembers the shrieks of the dying animals. Killing animals to eat them is one thing but to torture animals as a teenager and not feeling anything, then even boasting about it years later suggest he might be as depraved as some of his fans.

In seeing some parallels with LA. Didn't or should I say doesn't Lance display a certain level of on one his books as well?

Re:

Robert5091 said:
Chris Froome fined €184 for punching idiotic fan on way to Tour de France stage victory
https://www.independent.ie/sport/ot...to-tour-de-france-stage-victory-34870952.html

Who's started it? :lol:

I remember our old friend sniper posted a video from the 09 tour. There is a fan on the road. Contador, Lance. Andy and Frank ride past him. The last rider of the 5 Bradley wiggins, for some totally unexplained reason reaches out and pushes the fan into a ridge.

Worth a read -
http://www.velonews.com/2017/12/news/ulissi-lawyer-froome-risk-longer-ban_453938
Chris Froome could be risking a longer ban as he tries to clear his name in his unfolding Salbutamol case.

That’s according to Rocco Taminelli, a Swiss sports lawyer who represented Diego Ulissi in 2014.

“What he is trying to do is very risky,” Taminelli told VeloNews. “They will try to argue that he did not take more than was allowed. Now he has to prove it, and that is the hard part. If you fail to prove it, you could get two years.”

Re: Re:

The Hitch said:
Robert5091 said:
Chris Froome fined €184 for punching idiotic fan on way to Tour de France stage victory
https://www.independent.ie/sport/ot...to-tour-de-france-stage-victory-34870952.html

Who's started it? :lol:

I remember our old friend sniper posted a video from the 09 tour. There is a fan on the road. Contador, Lance. Andy and Frank ride past him. The last rider of the 5 Bradley wiggins, for some totally unexplained reason reaches out and pushes the fan into a ridge.

Viewable here : https://youtu.be/TXqLYH1k7Lo

TRENDING THREADS