• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1090 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Alpe73 said:
veganrob said:
webvan said:
ClassicomanoLuigi said:
John Degenkolb also unhappy about the lack of clarity on the Froome doping case

"Für mich ist es nicht schlüssig, warum es immer noch keine offizielle Entscheidung gibt", sagte der 29 Jahre alte Degenkolb der Deutschen Presse-Agentur in Palma de Mallorca. "Ob er nun gesperrt wird oder nicht, aber es muss einfach klar geregelt sein - das kann ja nicht so schwer sein", ergänzte der in Oberursel bei Frankfurt lebende Degenkolb.
"To me, it seems inconsistent that there still has not been an official decision. Whether he gets banned or not, it just has to be clearly demarcated. It can't be that hard to do..."

http://www.lvz.de/Sportbuzzer/Sport...cht-sich-schnelle-Entscheidung-im-Fall-Froome

Absolutely ! What's more, WTH can't they at the VERY LEAST communicate on some kind of timeline, like he was notified on 20/09, he had until 30/11 to reply, we have until 31/12 to issue an opinion and on 31/01 we will have a meeting, etc...
Because that's not how Team Transparent works

[Team Sky] “VeganRob .... Who are you and WTF do you want, bro? BTW ... please remember. You’re local ... we’re International.”
:lol:

Alpe73 said:
red_flanders said:
Merckx index said:
Mini-Phinney on Froome:

like many of his peers he is both weary and wary of the growing tensions over Chris Froome's Adverse Analytical Finding for salbutamol and the lack of progress with resolution of the case, which is now threatening to continue into the summer.

"Obviously everyone was disappointed (by the news)," Phinney said wearily. "Same old ****, that’s cycling right…?"

"I had this idea that I wanted to go out and film myself taking 32 puffs of salbutamol and see what happened, you know - see what a double over dose of salbutamol would feel like, but that’s not really my style.

"I’ve known Chris Froome for a long time. I don’t view him - and I’ve spoken to other riders about this - as somebody who is, quote-unquote, a ‘doper.’

"This news comes out and then everybody is in limbo. Nobody knows what to think, and what kills the sport is the wondering and people being up in the air. It’s the same old ****. But the whole sport gets rubbed through the **** most of the time because of the history," Phinney continued. "But it doesn’t apply to me and it doesn’t apply to our team."

The American was sceptical of Romain Bardet's call for the peloton to show more solidarity in taking a stance on the Froome case. "We have so many different people from so many different cultures with so many strong opinions, which is what makes cycling beautiful to watch but makes it very difficult for us to make any decisions together," he said.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-aiming-for-tour-de-france-return-after-sponsors-save-team/

Gotta say I'm un-impressed. Whining about why cycling gets trashed, failing to acknowledge the very, very good reasons why this is so. Long line of the same story. Additionally launches this "32 puffs of Salbutamol" as if it's a given that this is how Froome tripped the trigger. If it is, he's a complete idiot and deserves a ban anyway.

It's not an excuse. Really dumb comments.

Like you Ned ... he’s got a right to an opinion.

But unlike your opinion, his has infinitely more validity. His perspective is infinitely more close to the ground and close to the issue than yours or mine.

He speaks for the fraternity of those riders who work hard for their pay to feed their families. Those whose time in the sport and whose earning power ... is limited.

You’re probably a fairly intelligent guy. Unfortunate that you lack a sensitivity to perspective ... despite your high seniority number as a “real cycling fan.’

no...Phinney's opinion takes at his word someone who has triggered a 'positive'....it assumes no oral ingestion or nebuliser....and assumes that 'a doper' would not lie

I suppose those pros that spoke up for lance had more validity as well......

...they were right...until they were....eh...wrong

Marco Bonariggo from Corriere della Sera says that Michelle has stepped in. Allegedly she hired a high level mediator last week to negotiate an "Acceptance of consequences" bypassing the team and maybe even Mike Morgan. Knowing that if he takes the lab test he'll fail and get between 12 and 24 months they are trying to get a deal for a 5-6 month ban based on negligence, losing the Vuelta and the Worlds bronze medal but making Froome eligible to ride the Giro and Le Tour.

Full article here in Italian: http://www.corriere.it/sport/18_gennaio_30/resa-froomepronto-patteggiareper-salvare-stagione-3a684d00-0530-11e8-8913-7ceabd19f7b3.shtml#

It remains to be seen if the lads from LADS will accept such a deal since "careless" Ulissi got nine months for a similar infraction.

Again, thanks for posting this. Doesn't surprise me at all, though as the article notes, he may not get as short a period as six months in a plea deal. And even if he does, WADA/UCI can still appeal, and I bet they would, because if this account is true, Froome is waving the white flag, admitting he has no innocent explanation.

And even if he gets to ride the Giro/Tour, and wins them both, his image has taken a huge hit. It was bad enough when the positive was announced, revealing that he had made plans for the double while he knew this was going on. But if he makes a plea deal, he will basically be admitting his dishonesty. Even if he now changes his story to accidentally taking too much, no one will forget that he initially maintained that he didn't. And given how much extra he would have had to take, it will be pretty hard for him to make the case that he didn't remember. At best, he intentionally took substantially more than allowed, and tried to lie his way out of it; at worst, he was oral dosing. Or maybe there was masking going on. Unfortunately, if Froome follows through with this, we will never know.

Also, if he is suspended for any length of time, doesn't Sky have to fire him? Can they really let him lead the team in the Giro and Tour?

Re:

Rollthedice said:
Marco Bonariggo from Corriere della Sera says that Michelle has stepped in. Allegedly she hired a high level mediator last week to negotiate an "Acceptance of consequences" bypassing the team and maybe even Mike Morgan. Knowing that if he takes the lab test he'll fail and get between 12 and 24 months they are trying to get a deal for a 5-6 month ban based on negligence, losing the Vuelta and the Worlds bronze medal but making Froome eligible to ride the Giro and Le Tour.

Full article here in Italian: http://www.corriere.it/sport/18_gennaio_30/resa-froomepronto-patteggiareper-salvare-stagione-3a684d00-0530-11e8-8913-7ceabd19f7b3.shtml#

It remains to be seen if the lads from LADS will accept such a deal since "careless" Ulissi got nine months for a similar infraction.
End game

Shark eats another GT
bravo Nibali

Too bad they didn't do that in September...There never was any other viable option and he can still say he took the doses recommended by the team doctor and doesn't understand what happened

If the UCI/LADS signs off on that he's free to ride and a WADA appeal wouldn't change that, like for Bertie...

Merckx index said:
Again, thanks for posting this. Doesn't surprise me at all, though as the article notes, he may not get as short a period as six months in a plea deal. And even if he does, WADA/UCI can still appeal, and I bet they would, because if this account is true, Froome is waving the white flag, admitting he has no innocent explanation.

And even if he gets to ride the Giro/Tour, and wins them both, his image has taken a huge hit. It was bad enough when the positive was announced, revealing that he had made plans for the double while he knew this was going on. But if he makes a plea deal, he will basically be admitting his dishonesty. Even if he now changes his story to accidentally taking too much, no one will forget that he initially maintained that he didn't. And given how much extra he would have to take, it will look more and more like oral dosing.

His image is "tarnished forever" like Lance said, the damage is done, depending on the outcome it will be "mildly tarnished image", "medium tarnished image" or "heavily tarnished image". On the other hand it is in everybody's interest that this whole thing finish as soon as possible. I don't think WADA will appeal (Reedie), UKAD not a chance so what about UCI? Lappartient is a politician, Froome is "no ordinary rider", Sky is Sky so let him ride the double.

Aug 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

webvan said:
Too bad they didn't do that in September...There never was any other viable option and he can still say he took the doses recommended by the team doctor and doesn't understand what happened

If the UCI/LADS signs off on that he's free to ride and a WADA appeal wouldn't change that, like for Bertie...

Irrespective of the UCI, the Fench anti-doping authorities could ban a rider from racng on any roads in France. It would not be the first time they have done that.

gillan1969 said:
Alpe73 said:
red_flanders said:
Merckx index said:
Mini-Phinney on Froome:

like many of his peers he is both weary and wary of the growing tensions over Chris Froome's Adverse Analytical Finding for salbutamol and the lack of progress with resolution of the case, which is now threatening to continue into the summer.

"Obviously everyone was disappointed (by the news)," Phinney said wearily. "Same old ****, that’s cycling right…?"

"I had this idea that I wanted to go out and film myself taking 32 puffs of salbutamol and see what happened, you know - see what a double over dose of salbutamol would feel like, but that’s not really my style.

"I’ve known Chris Froome for a long time. I don’t view him - and I’ve spoken to other riders about this - as somebody who is, quote-unquote, a ‘doper.’

"This news comes out and then everybody is in limbo. Nobody knows what to think, and what kills the sport is the wondering and people being up in the air. It’s the same old ****. But the whole sport gets rubbed through the **** most of the time because of the history," Phinney continued. "But it doesn’t apply to me and it doesn’t apply to our team."

The American was sceptical of Romain Bardet's call for the peloton to show more solidarity in taking a stance on the Froome case. "We have so many different people from so many different cultures with so many strong opinions, which is what makes cycling beautiful to watch but makes it very difficult for us to make any decisions together," he said.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/phinney-aiming-for-tour-de-france-return-after-sponsors-save-team/

Gotta say I'm un-impressed. Whining about why cycling gets trashed, failing to acknowledge the very, very good reasons why this is so. Long line of the same story. Additionally launches this "32 puffs of Salbutamol" as if it's a given that this is how Froome tripped the trigger. If it is, he's a complete idiot and deserves a ban anyway.

It's not an excuse. Really dumb comments.

Like you Ned ... he’s got a right to an opinion.

But unlike your opinion, his has infinitely more validity. His perspective is infinitely more close to the ground and close to the issue than yours or mine.

He speaks for the fraternity of those riders who work hard for their pay to feed their families. Those whose time in the sport and whose earning power ... is limited.

You’re probably a fairly intelligent guy. Unfortunate that you lack a sensitivity to perspective ... despite your high seniority number as a “real cycling fan.’

no...Phinney's opinion takes at his word someone who has triggered a 'positive'....it assumes no oral ingestion or nebuliser....and assumes that 'a doper' would not lie

I suppose those pros that spoke up for lance had more validity as well......

...they were right...until they were....eh...wrong

Like you Gillian ... he’s got a right to an opinion.

Merckx index said:

And even if he gets to ride the Giro/Tour, and wins them both, his image has taken a huge hit. It was bad enough when the positive was announced, revealing that he had made plans for the double while he knew this was going on. But if he makes a plea deal, he will basically be admitting his dishonesty. Even if he now changes his story to accidentally taking too much, no one will forget that he initially maintained that he didn't. And given how much extra he would have had to take, it will be pretty hard for him to make the case that he didn't remember. At best, he intentionally took substantially more than allowed, and tried to lie his way out of it; at worst, he was oral dosing. Or maybe there was masking going on. Unfortunately, if Froome follows through with this, we will never know.

Also, if he is suspended for any length of time, doesn't Sky have to fire him? Can they really let him lead the team in the Giro and Tour?

Why does Sky “have to” fire him?

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Alpe73 said:
Merckx index said:

Why does Sky “have to” fire him?

cute

As if you don't know about SDB's much-trumpeted 'zero-tolerance' virtue signalling/scent throw-offing/PR spin/policy towards the big D-word.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Alpe73 said:
Like you Gillian ... he’s got a right to an opinion.

To be close of the ground doesn't help to see all issues that ousiders can easily spot!

I am sure that you too can understand that. And don't forget that there is riders who work hard and their deserved reward are stolen by cheaters.

Re:

Rollthedice said:

They surely couldn't backdate the suspension back to Vuelta and the off-season when he knowingly rode at the Worlds despite being under this cloud? I think it would have been fair enough if he'd voluntarily sat out riding post-Vuelta, but given that he didn't surely you'd have to start any suspension from when the offence was admitted?

In any case, if this is where they are now, then I think (or maybe hope) he's done at the top level.

I can imagine Froome doing everything possible to replicate the salbutamol level found in his urine while riding like Forrest Gump in South Africa by taking the allowed dose of puffs while dehydrating or simulating "kidney failures" during 200 Km stages under close supervision of Dr. Jeroen Swart. Then Michelle would run to Bloemfontain Lab where every time the result would come out well under 1000 ng/ml. It seems logical then to enter a plea deal.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Rollthedice said:
I can imagine Froome doing everything possible to replicate the salbutamol level found in his urine while riding like Forrest Gump in South Africa by taking the allowed dose of puffs while dehydrating or simulating "kidney failures" during 200 Km stages under close supervision of Dr. Jeroen Swart. Then Michelle would run to Bloemfontain Lab where every time the result would come out well under 1000 ng/ml. It seems logical then to enter a plea deal.

Maybe Michelle could get Impey's pharmacist a transfer to the Bloemfontain Lab...

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
pastronef said:
Sunday´s 270 km ride. swipe to see the scooter
https://www.instagram.com/p/BeffEFNjPpp/?explore=true
Oops, maybe they should have cropped the motorbike out of those photos
Nice find...

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/216919507-Segment-Leaderboard-Guidelines

Guidelines for motor-paced rides:
Motor-pacing, or drafting behind a motorized vehicle, is considered motor-assistance and conflicts with the fairness and integrity of leaderboards. When uploading data from a motor-paced ride, please use the option on the activity edit screen

I don't do Strava, but that "leaderboard integrity" part sounds familiar from somewhere

He look guilty as well! :cool:

oqvxfo.jpg

4ubdir.jpg