• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1093 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Sure, but you can hardly complain that a pro cyclist is doing 6 hour rides and somehow construe that as "evasion" of doping tests when the whereabouts system allows him to be wherever outside of the slot without penalty. And no, WADA testers don't take samples "on the road"...

Last time I saw an example of the whereabouts

1 hour window 6am to 7am is the usual choice: (and usually at home), this is modifiable upto the start of the window (so 5:59 am)

General description of day: Training ride in around (location)

Overnight location: (again usually at home)

If your overnight location and your 6am location aren't the same, they can flag you for an administrative "strike", unless you have a good explanation as for why.

Change your window late in the game regularly and its going to flag your for targeted testing.(and probably an audit of whereabouts to look for admin errors)

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site
Re:

hazaran said:
You guys realize that under the whereabouts system, you only need to specify for a single daytime hour each day where you will be? So no, no one in their right mind would specify an hour where they are "training somewhere in an 100 km radius around Johannesburg", because if the tester can't find you in that hour, that's on you.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2018-01/wada-welcomes-echr-decision-to-back-whereabouts-rules

You gotta put a minimal effort in here.
Unless you're Lance and the you're allowed to go take a shower and whatever before finally agreeing to meet with the tester.

John Swanson

Rollthedice said:
thehog said:
There is testing in South Africa? News to me... :cool:

The place to go if you want to win Grand Tours. Froome of course then Dumoulin prepared there last year, now it's Bob Jungels. I expect great things this year from Jungels.

I believe the lab is still non-accredited, meaning in the rare instance a sample is taken it would have to be shipped to Europe thus compromising the sample.

SA was a former Ulle & Klodi hangout in the winter, let the good times roll!

Corriere della Sera is back with a few questions after Froome denies he'll enter a plea deal on twitter. The numbers and the test, Corriere says, are against him.

"After 50 days since his positive was leaked it is the first time Froome say something about the subject on twitter. He did so Tuesday, denying that he was ready to admit the negligent use of the antiasthmatic Ventolin and to negotiate a reduced disqualification, as anticipated by our daily newspaper.

Will he want to demonstrate that his value of salbutamol, more than double the limit, is due to a unique body? On 10,000 tests a year for the substance, nobody touches that value.

And will he really go down in court to show that the 2,000 ng / ml of salbutamol (twice the limit) found in his urine at the Vuelta is the abnormal metabolic product of a use of Ventolin within the limits of the regulation? We'll know in a few days.

The documents kept in the CAS archives of Lausanne show that the task of Sky English counselors will be difficult. In international anti-doping laboratories an average of 8/10 thousand tests are carried out for salbutamol per year: only 2 exceed 1000 ng / ml, none touches 2000... If he does not come to terms with sporting justice, Froome will have to prove for the umpteenth time that his body is unique in the world."

http://www.corriere.it/sport/18_gennaio_31/froome-twitternon-patteggeroma-numeri-testsono-contro-lui-a66ed240-05fc-11e8-b2bd-b642cbae90d8.shtml

My two cents:

1. A compromise solution between 5-6 months and 9-12 months would be 8 months, so Froome would miss the Giro, but could prepare for and ride the Tour. Why would there be a compromise? Because both sides want this resolved ASAP, and neither side wants Froome racing with his status ambiguous. And most important, both sides have leverage, which they can use to bring pressure on CADF. If WADA thinks the suspension is too short, they can threaten to appeal it, so Froome rides both GTs under suspicion. Again, on one wants that. If Froome thinks the suspension is too long, he can avoid CADF completely and go directly to CAS. He might lose big there, but at least in that situation he could ride the double, again under suspicion, something no one wants. If he accepts a nine to twelve month ban, he won’t be able to ride either, so he would have little to lose by declining to accept that. His lawyers have probably told him that at worst he would get twelve months, anyway.

2. The Corriere story may have been leaked intentionally by Froome’s team. Why would they do that? To put a stop to all the critics pushing him to resolve the issue before he begins racing. If this story is true, Froome is doing everything he can to settle the matter ASAP, and at least must be given credit for that. Why then is Froome denying it? Because the deal isn’t done yet, and as noted above, if Froome doesn’t like the terms, he may go directly to CAS. If he confirms that he’s willing to accept any suspension, that could hurt his case there.

Re:

Merckx index said:
My two cents:

1. A compromise solution between 5-6 months and 9-12 months would be 8 months, so Froome would miss the Giro, but could prepare for and ride the Tour. Why would there be a compromise? Because both sides want this resolved ASAP, and neither side wants Froome racing with his status ambiguous. And most important, both sides have leverage, which they can use to bring pressure on CADF. If WADA thinks the suspension is too short, they can threaten to appeal it, so Froome rides both GTs under suspicion. Again, on one wants that. If Froome thinks the suspension is too long, he can avoid CADF completely and go directly to CAS. He might lose big there, but at least in that situation he could ride the double, again under suspicion, something no one wants. If he accepts a nine to twelve month ban, he won’t be able to ride either, so he would have little to lose by declining to accept that. His lawyers have probably told him that at worst he would get twelve months, anyway.

2. The Corriere story may have been leaked intentionally by Froome’s team. Why would they do that? To put a stop to all the critics pushing him to resolve the issue before he begins racing. If this story is true, Froome is doing everything he can to settle the matter ASAP, and at least must be given credit for that. Why then is Froome denying it? Because the deal isn’t done yet, and as noted above, if Froome doesn’t like the terms, he may go directly to CAS. If he confirms that he’s willing to accept any suspension, that could hurt his case there.

Good post, MI.

Another 2cent theory:

Michelle is negotiating behind the scenes with teams for Froome's post-ban period
- since it can't be with Sky or probably any anglo-team.
Tinkov with his millions might be back to win his TdF finally.
May be the Arab-backed teams want to pay the millions Michelle craves.
May be Landa wants CF as his superdom at movistar. ;)

Edit: not to mention the Vino Option

Another 2cent theory :

Miriam "Miri" Regev Israel's Minister of Culture and Sport
The Daily Beast has described her as the Likud party's "attack dog", an "outspoken politician who embodies a flag-waving, gung-ho brand of Zionism, and a folksy, sneering attitude towards the Israeli Left and the country’s media elites", and "the closest thing Israel has to Sarah Palin" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miri_Regev
has probably had her 2 cents worth too, and looky here, there's a cyclist on the Ministry's web page https://www.gov.il/he/Departments/ministry_of_culture_and_sport

MartinGT said:
I know it's only a small detail and probably nothing. But I find it very odd he isnt wearing team kit.

He's riding a Sky bike, with Sky Bidons and helmet, shoes, gloves etc all in Sky colours. The kit is Castelli.

When Rapha were supplying Sky with kit they always had different training jerseys etc, often with much more subtle Sky branding. All part of a plan to allow Rapha to sell more kit off the back of their sponsorship deal with Sky, even Fanboys don't always want to ride around with huge Sky logos plastered all over them.

Expect to see the Castelli Sky training jerseys coming to a store near you soon ;)

brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:
I know it's only a small detail and probably nothing. But I find it very odd he isnt wearing team kit.

He's riding a Sky bike, with Sky Bidons and helmet, shoes, gloves etc all in Sky colours. The kit is Castelli.

When Rapha were supplying Sky with kit they always had different training jerseys etc, often with much more subtle Sky branding. All part of a plan to allow Rapha to sell more kit off the back of their sponsorship deal with Sky, even Fanboys don't always want to ride around with huge Sky logos plastered all over them.

Expect to see the Castelli Sky training jerseys coming to a store near you soon ;)

If not on the shelves then in the Clearance bin ;)

(I kid you not....last spring, post-Jiffy, you could buy some top quality Rapha kit for next to nothing, as long as you didn't mind the word 'Wiggo' on it. )

macbindle said:
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:

If not on the shelves then in the Clearance bin ;)

(I kid you not....last spring, post-Jiffy, you could buy some top quality Rapha kit for next to nothing, as long as you didn't mind the word 'Wiggo' on it. )

and I remember people were saying: Wigging team for sale! wow! jiffy bag saga has hit!

it was early 2017, the new 2017 kit was presented and the ones on sale were the 2016 jerseys. I remember discussing about that on these pages

Sep 11, 2017
Visit site
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:

This would only make sense if the rest of Team Sky are wearing those special minimal branding kits as well, but they don't. Besides that, in all the pictures Froome posted before while training in South Africa were still in fully branded Sky kits and now he has suddenly switched to a plain black training kit.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re: Re:

Alpe73 said:
Merckx index said:
My two cents:

Good post, MI.

Speculation rocks, baby ;)

theracingelf said:
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:

This would only make sense if the rest of Team Sky are wearing those special minimal branding kits as well, but they don't. Besides that, in all the pictures Froome posted before while training in South Africa were still in fully branded Sky kits and now he has suddenly switched to a plain black training kit.

He's wearing a kit that isn't the same as the kit he was wearing yesterday! His kit isn't the same as the one his team mates who are thousands of miles away are wearing today! 'Suddenly' switched to a plain black kit (lets ignore the fact its a plain black kit made by his teams clothing suppliers/sponsors)

I think there are treatments available these days for those unfortunate enough to interpret danger and intrigue in everything they see and hear :rolleyes:

ScienceIsCool said:
hazaran said:
You guys realize that under the whereabouts system, you only need to specify for a single daytime hour each day where you will be? So no, no one in their right mind would specify an hour where they are "training somewhere in an 100 km radius around Johannesburg", because if the tester can't find you in that hour, that's on you.

https://www.wada-ama.org/en/media/news/2018-01/wada-welcomes-echr-decision-to-back-whereabouts-rules

You gotta put a minimal effort in here.
Unless you're Lance and the you're allowed to go take a shower and whatever before finally agreeing to meet with the tester.

John Swanson

If I’m not mistaken, John, I think that this year ... UCI/WADA/YADA yada ... are implementing an Etape du Testing. Details online. No pay, of course, but great experience in asserting your assertiveness in getting your man, as you learn/experience the trade. Just sayin.

brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:

That’s it! No more sipping beer when I’m reading your posts. :lol:

Re:

Merckx index said:
My two cents:

My two cents:

1.Froome will get at least a year, if not more. Unlike Ulissi, who made some kind of a deal right away, he basically didn't know what to do, nor he does at the moment it seems. First he thought all-mighty Sky will find a solution. He forget that Sky is not so mighty anymore without Cookson, and McQuaid before him. So when Sky card failed, he reached for the money and he hired expensive lawyer, thinking he will find some satisfying solution. That card failed too, so now Michelle is in charge and trying to make a deal, but I'm afraid it's little too late. So I think at least a year for him.

2.He's a done deal after suspension. He's no Contador or Valverde. You need pure class to comeback similarly strong after suspension, and he lacks that very much. He owes his success exclusively to doping and protection which Sky had. Those days are over now with new president. Some new faces will emerge this year, and we will see during the season who they are...

Blanco said:
Merckx index said:
My two cents:

My two cents:

1.Froome will get at least a year, if not more. Unlike Ulissi, who made some kind of a deal right away, he basically didn't know what to do, nor he does at the moment it seems. First he thought all-mighty Sky will find a solution. He forget that Sky is not so mighty anymore without Cookson, and McQuaid before him. So when Sky card failed, he reached for the money and he hired expensive lawyer, thinking he will find some satisfying solution. That card failed too, so now Michelle is in charge and trying to make a deal, but I'm afraid it's little too late. So I think at least a year for him.

2.He's a done deal after suspension. He's no Contador or Valverde. You need pure class to comeback similarly strong after suspension, and he lacks that very much. He owes his success exclusively to doping and protection which Sky had. Those days are over now with new president. Some new faces will emerge this year, and we will see during the season who they are...

They'll be French :lol:

Plus ça change...