• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 208 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
brilleaben said:
This is sports journos. If they suddenly have a brain and some critical thinking, I'd be surprised.

The journalists' primary job is to tell a story that people want to hear about. In the mainstream, they can cash in by pumping someone up today, and by tearing them down tomorrow. They're not stupid, just greedy.

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Berzin said:
Not a good day to be watching tv. First George Zimmerman is found not guilty, and now this.

Three things stand out about this stage-

2) Froome took a minute and a half on Quintana in the last kilometer and a half. That is a lot of time in such a short span of time, considering the last two k's were better suited to Quintana. It's not a big deal that he got dropped, seeing as he did put in a lot of work further down the slopes, but to get hammered like that was crazy. And he didn't look like he cracked-Froome just rode away from him like he was standing still.

You know, Nairo "faded" according to Froome. Froome didn't speed up, he was just riding his normal speed ;)

I wonder what the sky defenders have to say about this. . . i don't know if it was just me not paying enough attention, but it felt like they sort of went quiet after Ax-3-D.

I am not talking about the skybots that showed up recently, i am talking about guys like Jimmy and Martin.

Also ascent times and power estimations anyone?

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Yep, and he took no time to the main 3rd group at all in the last 4km.

Is there any official info on that? The stage time appeared when first Quintana went through 1km to go and then when the Rodriguez/Mollema group went through 1km to go. It suggested that at that point there was 1.40 between Quintana (who was c. 15 seconds behind Froome) and the Rod/Mollema group. Cant be sure though.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
A big LOL to cyclingnews. It was quiet funny. You guys knew Froome will let the forum/clinic explode (again). You knew there would be heavy action. Yet, you still managed to not learn from last week. Anyway great site here. It was just too funny that it happened again, indeed. :D

Back to Froome. He might do a 1984-Fignon? It´s possible. He needs to win stages 17,18 and 20. Then the clinic will have something to discuss for the next 20 years. So i am rooting for the 5 stage wins for Froome... :)

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Fortyninefourteen said:
France 2 really took the boots to Froome with such perfectly placed double-entendre and innuendo. Awesome.
Many people stated they "never saw something like this on the Ventoux". Even the commentator said "it's an attack a la Cancellara".

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
The thread should be closed, there is nothing left to discuss after the performance. Will safe the IT department here a lot of hassle, servers might stay online :D

Besides the blatant obvious, it is a shame that Rapha makes their gear, it is actually really slick, but i could not buy it if my life depended on it….

Frosty said:
Is there any official info on that? The stage time appeared when first Quintana went through 1km to go and then when the Rodriguez/Mollema group went through 1km to go. It suggested that at that point there was 1.40 between Quintana (who was c. 15 seconds behind Froome) and the Rod/Mollema group. Cant be sure though.

If the timing provided on screen is correct, Froome took all his time on Jrod and co between 8 and 5 km to go, then held steady to the end, apart from to Jrod who came back by 20 seconds in the last km.

Contador stuck with him a little longer but was not actually any better than the others who eased back earlier, hence he was caught by them on the line.

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
zalacain said:
According to RAI 48'33" the fastest time since Pantani (and after 200km +)

3lcd.jpg

Mar 26, 2009
Visit site
petelow said:
The only thing that could make this any better is if Froome was giving running commentary himself. Maybe that's what he's doing for his new Youtube channel?

He could have done it live, since it looked like he wasn't breathing hard enough to effect his normal speaking voice.

I'd be careful with the time this once. Mont Ventoux almost always has a headwind, so I imagine that right there was a crucial factor.

I'm afraid this time I can't rely on the numbers that much and I'll have to trust my gut, which was chuckling throughout the whole climb.