• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 209 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Froomey keeps crashing the forum. :eek: At least he looked tired today, and even faded a bit in the last few km. When he had 1'40" the Purito group at 3 km to go I thought he'd put 3 minutes into them.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Back on. For how long.

So what were the times.

I saw Race Radio said it was a lot slower than the record, neglecting to mention the record was a itt in Dauphine, but anyway.

There was tailwind today yes, but there was also Froome on his own for a long time and an extremely fast stage before it.

If there was a tailwind then that makes the gap on the other guys even funnier.

Total time on Ventoux being slow does indicated that the dope is throttled back, for the bunch at least. That sorta time gap in that short a period of time is otherworldly.

Great thing about Froome's time is that people probably won't realize how odd it is that Mick Rogers is suddenly a climber again. Guess Sky game him some ends when he left as a parting gift.

Parrulo said:
I wonder what the sky defenders have to say about this. . . i don't know if it was just me not paying enough attention, but it felt like they sort of went quiet after Ax-3-D.

I am not talking about the skybots that showed up recently, i am talking about guys like Jimmy and Martin.

Also ascent times and power estimations anyone?

Have seen that they try their best pretending Quintana from Movistar is a wonder of cleanliness (yesterday they blamed Movistar of being dopers) to make their Unicorn-boy look a little better.

So, 1.40 on Armstrong is what full *** looks like? Fantastic show of clean cycling :D

zalacain said:
According to RAI 48'33" the fastest time since Pantani (and after 200km +)
No, according to Rai it was 47'40'' (last 15 kms), almost a minute better than Armstrong's 48'33'' which was the fastest ever on a MTF
The fastest ever in a road race should be Pantani '94 around 46 minutes, the finish that time was in Carpentras.

Still, "not normal" is an understatement.

People he put in a buck forty into the likes of Contador and Purito, not guys like Talansky or Dan Martin. Those guys were way the f*ck back there. Evans was done way before this and he's a former winner. The only guy who could stay with Froome for a little while was Quintana who is 100% built for this terrain, and even he was handed 30 seconds in a couple Ks or so.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
As someone has already said I've also never seen someone accelerate like that on a climb while staying in the saddle. If I can be bothered later on I might try to see if I can figure out what rpm Froome was doing when he dropped Contador. My guess is possibly 120+

Eshnar said:
No, according to Rai it was 47'40'' (last 15 kms), almost a minute better than Armstrong's 48'33'' which was the fastest ever on a MTF
The fastest ever in a road race should be Pantani '94 around 46 minutes, the finish that time was in Carpentras.

Still, "not normal" is an understatement.

I clocked him at 47:12 from 15 km.

Moose McKnuckles said:
If Froome was 1:40 ahead of a juiced to the gills Armstrong, what about the whole bunch of dudes who finished about the same time as Armstrong (1:40 back). What about Quintana too?

Is this what the new cycling era looks like? Because it's even more ridiculous than the old era.

But that didn't happen. Your point is silly.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
People he put in a buck forty into the likes of Contador and Purito, not guys like Talansky or Dan Martin. Those guys were way the f*ck back there. Evans was done way before this and he's a former winner. The only guy who could stay with Froome for a little while was Quintana who is 100% built for this terrain, and even he was handed 30 seconds in a couple Ks or so.

Quintana was riding in the front though. But i don't know if that was an advantage or a disadvantage.

Obviously he wasted some power but he didn't had to deal with Porte and Froome's acceleration.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Carlo Algatrensig said:
As someone has already said I've also never seen someone accelerate like that on a climb while staying in the saddle. If I can be bothered later on I might try to see if I can figure out what rpm Froome was doing when he dropped Contador. My guess is possibly 120+

Luigi?

hrotha said:
I'd be careful with the time this once. Mont Ventoux almost always has a headwind, so I imagine that right there was a crucial factor.

I'm afraid this time I can't rely on the numbers that much and I'll have to trust my gut, which was chuckling throughout the whole climb.

Greg Henderson tweeted that there was a tailwind the whole way up
@Greghenderson1
"Tailwind up the whole climb helped my watts per kilo guys so don't go getting too impressed by my time up Ventoux."

happytramp said:
Quite an achievement for the UK.

Worlds greatest TT'er - Brad
Worlds greatest sprinter - Cav
Worlds greatest climber - Froome

Probably got the greatest track cyclist too, not sure. All hail your new cycling overlords.

Add the most lethal & ridiculous attack ever without even getting out of the saddle by FroomeStrong today

mewmewmew13 said:
Greg Henderson tweeted that there was a tailwind the whole way up
@Greghenderson1
"Tailwind up the whole climb helped my watts per kilo guys so don't go getting too impressed by my time up Ventoux."
Exactly. Personally I think more should be made of the time Froome put on everybody else in a few km, with a tailwind, than of any climbing times, as those are going to be off for everyone. Doesn't make Froome (or Porte) any less ridiculous, mind.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Exactly. Personally I think more should be made of the time Froome put on everybody else in a few km, with a tailwind, than of any climbing times, as those are going to be off for everyone. Doesn't make Froome (or Porte) any less ridiculous, mind.

Ten Dam on dutch television just said he had serious head wind during the part where he was bringing Mollema back to Bertie.