• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 250 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
zlev11 said:
anyone think Froome would've gotten close to Mayo's time if yesterday was an ITT instead? i mean, he wasn't really that far off considering it was a 240km stage on the 15th day.

He would have got close if it was the 2009 Ventoux stage. That one had a 100km lead in which was fairly flat.

His biggest problem is Brailsford holding him back. They need to forgot the sceptics and go mega full genius on the alpe.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
He would have got close if it was the 2009 Ventoux stage. That one had a 100km lead in which was fairly flat.

His biggest problem is Brailsford holding him back. They need to forgot the sceptics and go mega full genius on the alpe.

Let Dawg ride!

thehog said:

As Froome kept talking into his radio I was imagining DB yelling "tone it down idiot!" and Froome saying "aw gee let me go..I wanna go."

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
My early prediction is that he will go faster than the best "clean" time and be up there with Landis.
That is if he is in semi alien mode with some waiting and chatting on the radio.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
Armstrong would have attacked from the bottom and then attacked and attacked until Froome blew up.
Sorry, I beg to differ. Froome would answer every challenge. He has the fastest acceleration from a climber that I have ever seen. Even faster than a doped Contador on the lower slopes of Verbier (2009) sprinting away from the pack.

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Bratam said:
Sorry, I beg to differ. Froome would answer every challenge. He has the fastest acceleration from a climber that I have ever seen. Even faster than a doped Contador on the lower slopes of Verbier (2009) sprinting away from the pack.
I feel like a bit of an idiot quoting myself, but lets not forget that Contador was near the bottom of the climb (Verbier 2009) when he launched his attack. Froome, on the other hand was something like 13km's into the Ventoux climb when he took off from Contador like a ballistic missile. Let alone the prior 220km's before that at ~47kph.

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
So, without reading over 6000 replies. Is there any evidence to Froome doping beyond Gert Leinders being one of the team physicians?

Is Froome the only cyclist who peaked late in 20s?

I would think 25-30 age riders would peak physically?

I myself feel he's far above the competition, which makes me have my doubts, and with Leinders link :eek: Yet, it's not impossible to crush the competition. Cancellara frequently rides away from elite fields in Flanders and Roubaix. I don't think he's doped.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Bratam said:
I feel like a bit of an idiot quoting myself, but lets not forget that Contador was near the bottom of the climb (Verbier 2009) when he launched his attack. Froome, on the other hand was something like 13km's into the Ventoux climb when he took off from Contador like a ballistic missile. Let alone the prior 220km's before that at ~47kph.

Good post hog.

(inside joke)

May 27, 2012
Visit site
RiccoDinko said:
So, without reading over 6000 replies. Is there any evidence to Froome doping beyond Gert Leinders being one of the team physicians?

I myself feel he's far above the competition, which makes me have my doubts, and with Leinders link :eek: Yet, it's not impossible to crush the competition. Cancellara frequently rides away from elite fields in Flanders and Roubaix. I don't think he's doped.

That makes one of you.

RiccoDinko said:

For the last 20 years cyclists have peaked at the same time as the peak in their doping program, which rarely comes at a young age.

Prior to that, dominant riders usually established themselves within a couple of seasons. Not talking about a random top15 either, GT wins/podiums, monuments, Dauphine wins.

As the sport has professionalised it is harder for one to assert themselves early, maybe the true physical peak is 25-30. However, an equally large factor is probably riders not taking the steps towards an 'A' program right from the beginning of their pro career.

EBH, Sagan, Moser, Kwiatkowski, Quintana, Betancur, Pinot (lol), even Andy. All those suggest that you can still be ultra-competitive even when you're young and inexperienced.

RiccoDinko said:

This has nothing to do with peaking at a late age. He is as good as the best of the dopers from a decade ago. Froome is currently riding with an astoundingly high VO2Max. His Vo2Max when barely trained would be extraordinary for an amateur. In other words, with barely any training and at a young age he would have blazed like a supernova compared to a a bunch of brown dwarfs. His talent would have been instantly recognized. Instead he was a nobody. No one gains as much as Froome has without doping. No one.

RiccoDinko said:

That long list of lower-ranked race wins where Froome destroyed fields on his way to the elite peloton surely factors into the great effort you've gone through to reach an opinion.

Whatever you do, don't put any work into formulating an informed opinion.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
RiccoDinko said:

Name one other pre-epo era rider went from average in his early twenties to dominating a grand tour. Just one.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
my guess is that he won't "go alien" since he already has a large lead and the people who look at the PR end of this may need to have a talk about this with him.

But, looking at the Ventoux attack and his ridiculous cadence... that was enough "alien" for the entire tour.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
veganrob said:
Don't even try comparing the two. Please. Two different puruits.
Einstein was a superior intellect. It is estimated humans use such a small part of our brain there is an incredible amount of room for improving. His genius is no surprise.

Listen, Comparing Einstein and Froome is clearly stupid on any number of levels, but please don't try to demonstrate this fact by using the "humans use only a small part of our brains" myth. It makes every part of my brain hurt.

Humans use all of our brains, we just don't use it all at the same time, just like we're not using all of our muscle fibers at the same time, or all the room in our house. The fact that not every neuron in my brain is firing at the same time (sending me into some sort of epileptic fit), is no more proof of inefficiency than the fact that I'm not simultaneously using my bedroom, my kitchen, my toilet and my living room. The analogy is appropriate because the brain like a house/apartment has separate "sections" with different functions.

Currently I'm using parts of my brain associated with the English language and constructing arguments. I'm not using the parts associated with keeping my balance on a bike, the Danish language, quickly assessing people I met as potential threats or countless other parts because they wouldn't help me here. Other parts of my brain like the hearing center is active, but running on low alert mode.

ETA: And reading on I see that others have already said the same thing, only in a less verbiose manner. Carry on Citizens!

a clean young einstein :D

young-einstein_zps7cb17a85.jpeg

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
PasqualeMendoza said:
I still have a personal suspicion index, as I dare say most people do, and on this I would generally place documented dopers above non-documented dopers. This is under the assumption that someone who has doped once is more likely to do so again. While this assumption will not hold up in all cases, it seems a justified basis for suspicion.

Isn't this the same as the statistic that in Australia at least and I would assume in most western civilisations as well that convicted felons are more likely to re-commit offences than become clean when they leave jail?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
It was HOW they ride and the fact they've been good since they were teenagers that alleviates what you've mistaken as pure hatred for Froome, applying to them.

Ok so and this is not specifically directed at you but the fact that Froome who rides with very much a 'track' style (i.e. hardly ever gets off his seat) is one of a number of factors that may contribute to people's dislike of him rather than Contador's quite fluent, climbing style of riding. And also may explain why people can brush of the tag of having double standards/being hypocrites despite arguably both riders being dopers.