• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 251 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Deagol said:
my guess is that he won't "go alien" since he already has a large lead and the people who look at the PR end of this may need to have a talk about this with him.

But, looking at the Ventoux attack and his ridiculous cadence... that was enough "alien" for the entire tour.
I've read somwhere that his "ridiculous cadence" was only 90 RPM. Which doesn't strike me as that odd. He didn't do it the entire way.

I'm not saying he's not doping, but (and that's what USPS has learned us) he won't be doing something the others won't. I think one of the big factors in this TDF is the lack of decent competition which is why it's making him stand out even more. With all due respect, but under "normal" circumstances neither Bollema or Ten Dam are podium candidates. Decent top 10, top 15 yes, absolutely. But the places they currently take (2nd and 5th at the time of this writing) is merely because a lot of expected GC guys are absent. Van Garderen is nowhere, Schleck is horrible, Evans is getting way to old, Van Den Broeck left because of a crash, Wiggins and Uran are not here, Valverde is also too old and lost a lot of time already. There's simply no competition for him in this TDF.

RiccoDinko said:
So, without reading over 6000 replies. Is there any evidence to Froome doping beyond Gert Leinders being one of the team physicians?

Is Froome the only cyclist who peaked late in 20s?

I would think 25-30 age riders would peak physically?

I myself feel he's far above the competition, which makes me have my doubts, and with Leinders link :eek: Yet, it's not impossible to crush the competition. Cancellara frequently rides away from elite fields in Flanders and Roubaix. I don't think he's doped.

Yeah, no. Slight difference between peaking at 25-30 like everyone, and experiencing the most outrageous single improvement in sports history, at 26.

darwin553 said:
Ok so and this is not specifically directed at you but the fact that Froome who rides with very much a 'track' style (i.e. hardly ever gets off his seat) is one of a number of factors that may contribute to people's dislike of him rather than Contador's quite fluent, climbing style of riding. And also may explain why people can brush of the tag of having double standards/being hypocrites despite arguably both riders being dopers.

This has nothing to do with dislike and you know it. Froome is suspicious because he is posting the most ridiculous performances in the history of the sport. Armstrong pace up climbs concluding a year long peak, immune to exhaustion, from a guy who in his first 2 years at sky was not deemed good enough to make a tdf squad.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
I would never doubt Contador's illness. The evidence is right there. Neither Lance's cancer but that's more of a gut feeling. Froome's bilharzia story just sounds ridiculous to me.

You missed the point entirely. I don't doubt that each and every one of Armstrong, Contador, Froome, and Lemond suffered a serious life threatening illness/injury.

What I find hard to explain is that each recovered to dominate his sport.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
This has nothing to do with dislike and you know it. Froome is suspicious because he is posting the most ridiculous performances in the history of the sport. Armstrong pace up climbs concluding a year long peak, immune to exhaustion, from a guy who in his first 2 years at sky was not deemed good enough to make a tdf squad.

Maybe dislike was the wrong word, perhaps I should have used prefer. :rolleyes:

Despite both arguably being dopers, some prefer Contador over Froome based on riding style :confused:

tyfius said:
With all due respect, but under "normal" circumstances neither Bollema or Ten Dam are podium candidates. Decent top 10, top 15 yes, absolutely.

Under normal circumstances froome isn't either. Any argument that allows for even the possibility that froome isn't charging to extreme levels, assumes naturally that athletes can have massive improvements. Why is froome allowed to.improve but not ten dam and especially mollema, who used to be 10 times the rider froome was despite being younger.

tyfius said:
I've read somwhere that his "ridiculous cadence" was only 90 RPM. Which doesn't strike me as that odd. He didn't do it the entire way.

I'm not saying he's not doping, but (and that's what USPS has learned us) he won't be doing something the others won't. I think one of the big factors in this TDF is the lack of decent competition which is why it's making him stand out even more. With all due respect, but under "normal" circumstances neither Bollema or Ten Dam are podium candidates. Decent top 10, top 15 yes, absolutely. But the places they currently take (2nd and 5th at the time of this writing) is merely because a lot of expected GC guys are absent. Van Garderen is nowhere, Schleck is horrible, Evans is getting way to old, Van Den Broeck left because of a crash, Wiggins and Uran are not here, Valverde is also too old and lost a lot of time already. There's simply no competition for him in this TDF.

Looking at his performances on Ax3D, the St Michel time trial and Mont Ventoux, it wouldn't matter if the competition was Bartoli Coppi Anquetil Poulidor Merckx Hinault LeMond.....or god forbid Pantani Armstrong Ullich and Basso. His times are eclipsing all before, clean or doped.

darwin553 said:
Maybe dislike was the wrong word, perhaps I should have used prefer. :rolleyes:

Despite both arguably being dopers, some prefer Contador over Froome based on riding style :confused:

and what does that have to do with anything? This thread is about froome doping. which dopers people prefer is a totally seperate discussion and one which a majority of those engaged in this one don't care much for.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
peterst6906 said:
Non-convicted members of the public by definition, can't re-commit offences.

That is of course a technicality, but still valid.

But I'm talking about convicted members of the public :)

And I would know considering I come from the land of the convict! :D

May 12, 2010
Visit site
sittingbison said:
Looking at his performances on Ax3D, the St Michel time trial and Mont Ventoux, it wouldn't matter if the competition was Bartoli Coppi Anquetil Poulidor Merckx Hinault LeMond.....or god forbid Pantani Armstrong Ullich and Basso. His times are eclipsing all before, clean or doped.

Pantani in his prime was still something else. But I think that the level that Froome shows here is, at the very least, good enough to podium in every GT since 2000, and probably good enough to win most of them (or seriously threaten Armstrong).

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
Also add in 220km at 47km p/h prior and he rode like that on Ventoux???! :eek:

Ventoux is long. 21km. It's so not normal. I honestly don't know how else to describe it?

It wouldn't have been normal for any rider. But coming from a rider who is also at Tony Martin's level in TTs and did nothing whatsoever for his whole career prior to age 26.... it is just completely indefensible. :(

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
tyfius said:
Van Garderen is nowhere, Schleck is horrible, Evans is getting way to old, Van Den Broeck left because of a crash, Wiggins and Uran are not here, Valverde is also too old and lost a lot of time already. There's simply no competition for him in this TDF.

Or in last years TdF. Or in the last couple of Paris-Nices. Or in the last couple of Dauphinés, or in the Olympic time trial... and so on...

Isn't it amazing how everyone but Sky is almost always off form... while Sky are always on form?

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
looking forward to reading what david has to say ...

David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST 13h
2/2: After many weeks with Sky, my overview on the team and Chris Froome will appear in this week's Sunday Times.
Expand Reply Retweet Favorite More
David Walsh ‏@DavidWalshST 13h
1/2: I have got almost, if not quite as much criticism about my reporting of Sky as I did of LA. I trusted my instinct then, still trust it.
Expand

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Are people really surprised on the Froomster's performance when he has done a sub 31 on la Madone?

MONT VENTOUX (last 15.65 km [from St. Esteve], 8.74 %, 1368 m)

----TOP 50 LIST

-1. Lance Armstrong ______ USA | 48:33 | 2002
-2. Chris Froome _________ GBR | 48:35 | 2013

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FInF_JCmQ_0#t=5850s

Samish windy conditions as the bloodstrong.

Brailsford was right. Doped performances can be repeated.

Frei re advanced training methods. I do this "advanced" stuff since ca. 2003 when my former coach had a session on the Büttgen track with Uli Schoberer who came back from Tuscany where he did some tests together with Checchini. Basso reportedly was doing insane amounts of 40/20 up to 8x10' over 6hours.

Thomas Frei‏@thomasfrei1h
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/15/team-sky-chris-froome-tour-de-france … nothing new about those intervalls. 30"/30",40"/20",20"/40" etc. ! #Fact

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
sittingbison said:

Indeed. And that's more than enough for me to believe that he is doping. Because I've seen the same movie more than once, not buying anymore, until we get a REALLY satisfactory proof over their actual data.

Mr.38% said:
Frei re advanced training methods. I do this "advanced" stuff since ca. 2003 when my former coach had a session on the Büttgen track with Uli Schoberer who came back from Tuscany where he did some tests together with Checchini. Basso reportedly was doing insane amounts of 40/20 up to 8x10' over 6hours.

Thomas Frei‏@thomasfrei1h
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/15/team-sky-chris-froome-tour-de-france … nothing new about those intervalls. 30"/30",40"/20",20"/40" etc. ! #Fact

That article was hilarious. It seems that the Kerrison myth was dieing down so they had to take it to warp speed. "Froome is able to gap other riders because attacking in the seat is more aero" is the most absurd thing I've ever read, why didn't Basso come up with that one?

Ferminal said:
That article was hilarious. It seems that the Kerrison myth was dieing down so they had to take it to warp speed. "Froome is able to gap other riders because attacking in the seat is more aero" is the most absurd thing I've ever read, why didn't Basso come up with that one?
yes, but basso was not aware of marginal gains. sky invented it just like lance invented cadence.

even coach potatoes like myself do 40/20's or somesuch intervals occasionally, sometimes inside FTP efforts.

MartinGT said:
Whats the predictions for today with the Dawg & his crew? A poor day I think after a memo from Purdhomme to calm it down............AGAIN!

I think they'll be fine. The climbs aren't enough to really shake anything up, espeically after a rest day. One for the break, maybe a GC attack but no-one looks strong enough to take massive time back.