• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 327 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
la_bicicleta said:
A riders weight is something that has been on my mind from time to time, would it have any 'scientific' value-merit to just weigh the top 10 finishers after every stage?

Weight the damn bike and then weight the damn racer, I mean, how hard could that be?

Because with a rider's weight and some TT/HC times, it's easy to estimate power potential of your competitors. It simplifies the various factors weighed for a grand tour podium. It would be a huge red flag for doping when power/weight ratios are reaching near 6.0/kilo in the third week of a grand tour.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
Because with a rider's weight and some TT/HC times, it's easy to estimate power potential of your competitors. It simplifies the various factors weighed for a grand tour podium. It would be a huge red flag for doping when power/weight ratios are reaching near 6.0/kilo in the third week of a grand tour.

What are they going to do about that information though? Just because you know Froome can climb at 6.5w/kg doesnt mean youre going to be able to beat him.

I think the weighing is a good idea. Cookson should make that mandatory, for the sake of transparency. And its very easy to implement.

Or they could even make it optional. If certain riders would avoid it consitently that would raise some flags too.

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
the sceptic said:
What are they going to do about that information though? Just because you know Froome can climb at 6.5w/kg doesnt mean youre going to be able to beat him.

I think the weighing is a good idea. Cookson should make that mandatory, for the sake of transparency. And its very easy to implement.

Or they could even make it optional. If certain riders would avoid it consitently that would raise some flags too.

No optionals.
Weighing in at every race or stage should be part of the signing in and as mandatory as the doping tests.

The SRMs should be turned over to officials immidiately after crossing the finish Line and all files should be made public without an hour. Then they get it back the next morning. Ready for a new stage/race/whatever.
No optionals... Not in the anti doping effort. IMO

EnacheV

BANNED
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Arrowfarm said:
No optionals.
Weighing in at every race or stage should be part of the signing in and as mandatory as the doping tests.

The SRMs should be turned over to officials immidiately after crossing the finish Line and all files should be made public without an hour. Then they get it back the next morning. Ready for a new stage/race/whatever.
No optionals... Not in the anti doping effort. IMO

this would make sense if numbers like watts/kg would mean something relevant for doping

as they are not what's the point?

EnacheV said:
this would make sense if numbers like watts/kg would mean something relevant for doping

It would help recognise any massive, bizarre improvements seemingly out of left field and give the testers and bio passport panel a better idea of who to keep an eye on. It's not the be all and end all but it can be used as yet another peice in the anti doping puzzle.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
EnacheV said:

Perhaps not for new cycling fans but for people who know something more it is quite interesting, also for WADA target testing.

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:

Well they don't have to put them on a scale in public like in boxing. It just kind of grinds my gears when people have to speculate endlessly about a riders weight when it's something so simple to measure and record. Fat chance of something like that ever being implemented though......

* I had to go back to my original post and edit weight/weigh, Spanish is my first language.

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Perhaps not for new cycling fans but for people who know something more it is quite interesting, also for WADA target testing.

Ha, can anybody imagine some sort of telemetry data in real time? showing power numbers and what not, I must be really bored tonight and it's past my bed time, I keep coming up with stupid ideas in my head.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
la_bicicleta said:
Ha, can anybody imagine some sort of telemetry data in real time? showing power numbers and what not, I must be really bored tonight and it's past my bed time, I keep coming up with stupid ideas in my head.
I believe that was the plan a few years ago, ASO/UCI stopped it.

la_bicicleta said:
A few riders used to volunteer for this with the broadcasters as recently as '08 IIRC, Adam Hansen was one of them. It was just heart rate, speed etc, basic stuff. UCI or ASO quashed it. Probably because they didn't want anyone seeing Ricco's OTT numbers as he launched up climbs like the space shuttle was strapped to his bike :rolleyes:

Cycle Chic said:
Froome is the same weight all year give or take a kilo ?? relaxing in Kenya looks more than a kilo overweight since the Tour.

http://instagram.com/p/g2QfyOGxpE/#

In Kenya? And it's supposed to be Lake Victoria behind him?

I hope he sticks to pools there and doesn't swim in open waters, otherwise he'll have to take that bilharzia pills in January again... And we'll have to listen to the same story about difficult therapy and messed up bio-passport all over again.

Even after signing for Team Sky the barriers kept appearing: an exhausting struggle against the parasitic disease bilharzia; a debilitating allergic reaction to the latex in his cycling kit which brings his skin out in vicious welts.

The bilharzia he has to control with regular medication ("these pretty nasty pills which kill everything in your system, good and bad"). The allergy, which is getting worse, peaks when it is hot and humid - in other words, exactly the conditions he encounters in big stage races.

Wonder why its always out of season i.e during the cooler months he only has problem with it then!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/24951818

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
So Froome used to get dropped by everyone when he was 15. Yet he is the most talented rider of all time :rolleyes:

Then there was his first pro contract, a typically spartan neo-pro's deal with the low-key Barloworld team, having emailed every manager and squad on the circuit for month after month, this time from his own email account.

Yes, the next Lemond would definitely need to beg to get the crappiest contract in the peloton. I guess this was before JV had seen the top secret test?

the sceptic said:
So Froome used to get dropped by everyone when he was 15. Yet he is the most talented rider of all time :rolleyes:

Yes, the next Lemond would definitely need to beg to get the crappiest contract in the peloton. I guess this was before JV had seen the top secret test?

Seems a bit weird. He was almost South African then and had a decent 2007. I really doubt that he had to beg that much.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
"When first-time offenders are given a four-year ban, that's quite serious for a sport when the window is very short. You can only be a professional for 15 years. It is a harsh penalty and that's what we need to see in cycling," Froome said.

"It was a very difficult time in the Tour De France. Everybody was asking me... and people were saying to me you could be doping," he recounted. "It definitely added stress during the tour."

"That hit me quite hard, but it was something I expected, because post-Lance Armstrong everyone was asking questions about it and I came to accept it, because I knew it came from the past and everyone putting on the yellow jersey could be asked about doping."

http://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport/Cycling/International/Froome-backs-tougher-penalties-20131119?

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I join with Froome in welcoming the increase in the penalty for doping to four years - a good deterrent for any rider to not take up or desist from doping. :rolleyes:

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
darwin553 said:
I join with Froome in welcoming the increase in the penalty for doping to four years - a good deterrent for any rider to not take up or desist from doping. :rolleyes:

I'm sure The Mighty Uniballer in his prime would look the same - supporting the harshestest lifetime bans for the first offense, disbanding the team, jailing the team bosses... anything, once you're the protected "chosen" one

Jul 21, 2010
www.cyclingquotes.com
darwin553 said:

Seconded, although I truly hope he will never face the increased penalty himself.

Guilty or innocent; if the Dawg's deemed dirty so is the rest of the current peloton.