• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 479 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
red_flanders said:
Just watched the finale. To say it was bad tactically is to assume a rider within some reasonable proximity form-wise to the other riders. Because that's how say...the last 35 years of bike racing that I've watched have been raced.

Froome attacked. Then waved Contador through. That in itself was idiotic

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
BYOP88 said:
All copies of 'The Climb' are getting recalled, so an asthma chapter can be added.
lol.

The way he,s sucking on that thing, really draining it.
I do hope we get walshs pov on this soon. Get our intelligence insulted.
I expect an excuse along the lines of "froome chose not to disclose his asthma in the book, as it would give an unfair advantage to his opponents"

This is what Martinelli had to say in la Gazzetta dello Sport:

"When I saw Froome accelerate like that I didn't believe my own eyes: a monster, something of the supernatural. He wanted to show beyond discussion that he is the best. I'd like to ask Contador what it felt like to hold his wheel..."

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Afrank said:
The guys an idiot, but I'll give him one thing, he can get excited over anything. Even the most boring of sprinter stages. I'll be sitting there going "yep, gonna be an easy Kittel win" and he'll be shouting at the top of his lungs as if every one of the greatest sprinters of all time were going head to head (and of course getting all the names wrong :D).

Yeah but him and the other dude commentating yesterdays stage were carrying on like school girls - everytime they say"Froomie" I want to puke....Sounds like Paul and Phil in the days when they were still in love with Armstrong.:eek:

Afrank said:
The guys an idiot, but I'll give him one thing, he can get excited over anything. Even the most boring of sprinter stages. I'll be sitting there going "yep, gonna be an easy Kittel win" and he'll be shouting at the top of his lungs as if every one of the greatest sprinters of all time were going head to head (and of course getting all the names wrong :D).

My favorite part was when he spotted Elissonde, the tiniest man in the peloton, and assured us that it wasn't Elissonde, it was Boucher....who is very tall, very heavy and not a climber in the slightest

red_flanders said:
Whaaaaat?? What part of the horror show we watched today has anything to do with Merckx?

No tactics, no thinking, just crush crush crush crush and damn the consequences.
Or as Owen Mulhulland likes to say, 'Merckx always rode as if every stage was the last one of the season'

Moose McKnuckles said:
Kirby is the British Bob Roll.

The guy's a Sky fan masquerading as a sports commentator.

I've never heard Kirby's commentary before until the Giro and I thought he wasn't too bad but that seems to be because Sky generally sucked apart from Cataldo and Henao.

Last night was pathetic - worse than Matt Keenan when Evans won the WC.

Granville57 said:
It seems to be tucked into his hand before and after. Just a quick little maneuver that only just happened to be caught on camera. Most odd that he would never mention this previously. Odd indeed.

(And the only prior source of his asthma, apparently, is the Business Insider?)

I'm not big on conspiracy theories, but what is interesting here isn't so much that he is ingesting something but the fact that he appears to be concealing his action.

Beech Mtn said:
Wonder if David Walsh notices the irony in the choice of words? :rolleyes:

She apparently also did this, before deleting it:

https://twitter.com/BisikletSporu/status/476111365061742593

The Hitch said:
Leslie Cohen says she saw it too.

So Cound really did tweet that.

Wow, just wow.

Yes I saw it too, that was what my "she's losing it" comment was about. I quoted it when she posted it. Twitter Rule #1: quote really offensive posts because they might as well get deleted ;)

42x16ss said:
I've never heard Kirby's commentary before until the Giro and I thought he wasn't too bad but that seems to be because Sky generally sucked apart from Cataldo and Henao.

Last night was pathetic - worse than Matt Keenan when Evans won the WC.

Sure that wasnt Rob Hatch? Similar voices admittedly but they differ in that one is pretty good and the other isnt...

May 23, 2010
Visit site
kingjr said:
He attacked Contador 3 times, 2 times directly in a row, one small and one big attack, to try and get rid of him, realized he couldn't drop him, resorted to keeping the group together and then attack one last time for the stage win. I fail to see why this is so bad tactically. I mean there is only so much you can do, when you can't drop a rider who also won't work together with you.

Haven't watched much cycling have you mate? Read around a bit I'm sure it won't take you very long to realise how truly bad yersterday's display from Froome was tactically.

The surprising thing is why Froome doesn't seem interested in tactics whatsoever. Armstrong showed ten times the tactical ability even in '99 and all he had to do was beat Alex Zulle.

As an aside I think we are starting to see why the Dawg was hailing the testers out to Teneriffe to visit his pal Contador. It would seem that Contador has been upgraded and is full program now. Interesting thing is with the Dawg's meta-tactics being as bad if not worse than his in race tactics, is Contador being smart and playing possum a little bit?

I mean only a fool would lay all their cards on the table at the Dauphine and Contador has shown he is no fool. Froome on the other hand. Well...

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
42x16ss said:
I thought it was Kirby but might be wrong, it was the commentators on the SBS feed before Keenan and McKenzie took over. I think the second commentator was Dan Lloyd...

Eurosport yesterday was CK for sure- they are both terrible but CK is more hilariously in thrall to the wonder that is BC

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyone who has Eurosport have a look at LeMond of Cycling. In his latest addition he talks about the upcoming tour and what happened at the Giro. Maybe someone with better tech skills than I could youtube it. To paraphrase what he said;

He was heartened by what he saw in the Giro that a talented young guy who was talented all his life coming into his prime and gets results. If you are talented, you are talented from a younger age. Not like you saw 20 years ago when guys would come out of no where and suddenly get talented.

He didn’t mention Froome or Horner directly but his opinion definitely covered them….

http://tv.eurosport.co.uk/search.shtml?query=lemond

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Leslie Cohen says she saw it too.

Well that's certainly a credible source. When not busy saving cycling she was publishing Overlord, the same guy who copied her on emails advising McQuaid on strategy. Not to mention the whole kimmage fund fiasco.

Surprised you're citing them as an authority.

May 27, 2014
Visit site
UlleGigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjr
He attacked Contador 3 times, 2 times directly in a row, one small and one big attack, to try and get rid of him, realized he couldn't drop him, resorted to keeping the group together and then attack one last time for the stage win. I fail to see why this is so bad tactically. I mean there is only so much you can do, when you can't drop a rider who also won't work together with you.
Haven't watched much cycling have you mate? Read around a bit I'm sure it won't take you very long to realise how truly bad yersterday's display from Froome was tactically.

The surprising thing is why Froome doesn't seem interested in tactics whatsoever. Armstrong showed ten times the tactical ability even in '99 and all he had to do was beat Alex Zulle.

As an aside I think we are starting to see why the Dawg was hailing the testers out to Teneriffe to visit his pal Contador. It would seem that Contador has been upgraded and is full program now. Interesting thing is with the Dawg's meta-tactics being as bad if not worse than his in race tactics, is Contador being smart and playing possum a little bit?

I mean only a fool would lay all their cards on the table at the Dauphine and Contador has shown he is no fool. Froome on the other hand. Well...

Too funny!!! ( last comment)

Indeed. I think we might be seeing a repeat of the '04 Dauphine...

For the newer crowd *cough*Skyborg*cough*, Iban Mayo went Full genius on every mountain stage while Armstrong cruised into second saying "WTF dude? The Tour's in July!"

The rest is history. The only question - who's playing Mayo's part?

UlleGigo said:

Exactly, Armstrong had only to beat Z

TRENDING THREADS