Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 477 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
Nothing unusual. Coughing is mentioned but never in the context of asthma. But as an asthmatic myself I rarely cough. With asthma you "wheeze". As asthma you're not trying to dislodge something stuck in throat rather you're trying to open up your lungs as they are constricted.

There's also nothing under sicknesses or TUEs etc. no mention of inhalers or anything asthma related in the book.

Oh look another rider suffering from it, better hang draw and quarter him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRnInyTd8b8&feature=player_embedded#t=283

Pack Fodder

BANNED
May 14, 2014
thehog said:
Nothing unusual. Coughing is mentioned but never in the context of asthma. But as an asthmatic myself I rarely cough. With asthma you "wheeze". As asthma you're not trying to dislodge something stuck in throat rather you're trying to open up your lungs as they are constricted.

There's also nothing under sicknesses or TUEs etc. no mention of inhalers or anything asthma related in the book.

My son has cough-variant asthma. It's a pretty well known symptom for some asthmatics - but that doesn't appear to be what Froome has; looks more like exercise-induced.

Maybe the asthma came from all those extra-curricular four-hour-no-power-meter training rides with Richie?

Richie looked well puffed as well today. Maybe Froome stole his inhaler because he'd lost his own one.

It all adds up when you think about it.

May 27, 2012
So Chris "You'd better check everyone else out because I suspect doping in Tenerife by my main competitors" Froome just destroyed them all.

Must be because everyone is clean...

Saint Unix said:
The Dawg and his future wife need to start writing their stories down so they can stick to the same ones all the time.

... oh wait. They already did that, didn't they? And they're still making stuff up as they go.

What a farce.

I sure hope Froome's GF is a haven for him.

ChewbaccaD said:
So Chris "You'd better check everyone else out because I suspect doping in Tenerife by my main competitors" Froome just destroyed them all.

Must be because everyone is clean...

TBF to Froome he said he wanted more tests because he wanted to prove the world he is clean.

Like lance did.

Wants to get to "500 tests" as soon as possible.
And he's right. No one could possibly be doping if they claim to have passed 500 tests. Really genius way for Froome to prove he is clean.
Its that tactical intelligence, Walsh raves about.

Mar 8, 2010
Race Radio said:
30:09 represents a massive jump. About 7% better then his other performances. It is Pantani level climbing. If clean it means he is the greatest climber in the history of the sport. The question of why he does not have another performance like that in the 2011-2013 period is as puzzling as how he was suddenly able to perform in the 2011 Vuelta.
There's another puzzling performance like that : Richie Porte 30'24" Col de la Madone. Same pattern. He was good in the Giro 2010 but never was able to reach 6W/kg in the big climbs then 2012-13 with SKY he was able to pass that limit. And suddenly 30'24" Col de la Madone.
Same miracle happened to 2 best mates, not heralded climbers, on the same team, at the same time. Either this Madone story is a lie or the probability for that to happen is higher than someone to win twice the Euromillion lottery.

May 23, 2010
To take a step away from all the asthma inhaler abuse for just a moment. I'd like to talk about how poor of a rider Froome is tactically. Today he burnt his team out 7km from the finish line then tries to launch the 'Armstrong The Look' attack straight away, twice, against what has to be the greatest stage racer of our time.

And then he tries exactly the same thing a few kilometres later, twice more, when it never looked like working at the first and second attempts a few kms earlier. Froome rode it so badly that Contador nearly had enough to get over the top at the end.

For me Froome simply can't be that inept tactically. Bike racing tactics really aren't all that complicated. But Froome's tactic seems to be simply, 'ride off the front in plain view of all my competitors because fvck them'. Its either unfathomably poor tactics or simply that the guy has no respect for his fellow competitor. It really makes me wonder, why does he think he's so utterly unbeatable? Even Armstrong, the most arrogant man ever to rider a bicycle, was not this dismissive of his competition.

One would think that as he suffered as a thoroughly mediocre rider for the first good half of his career that he would have developed some nous.

On a side note. Who else was laughing their **** off on Froome's very first attack where he did his 'in the saddle road-runner attack'? The guy looks like a vintage egg beater on the bike at the best of times but wholly crap all semblance of rhythm is cast aside with that abomination.

He attacked Contador 3 times, 2 times directly in a row, one small and one big attack, to try and get rid of him, realized he couldn't drop him, resorted to keeping the group together and then attack one last time for the stage win. I fail to see why this is so bad tactically. I mean there is only so much you can do, when you can't drop a rider who also won't work together with you.

Jul 15, 2013
William H said:
Froome apparently dropped out of the US Pro Challenge last year because of Asthma, so it's not a totally new thing.

http://www.businessinsider.com/usa-pro-challenge-is-an-insane-race-party-2013-8?op=1

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/aug/26/chris-froome-us-pro-challenge-illness

This article has quotes from Sky and says he was 'feeling ill' and 'a bit under the weather'. No mention of asthma. Did he use an inhaler in that race? First I've heard of asthma and I've never seen him use an inhaler before but he may have?

Aug 31, 2012
kingjr said:
He attacked Contador 3 times, 2 times directly in a row, one small and one big attack, to try and get rid of him, realized he couldn't drop him, resorted to keeping the group together and then attack one last time for the stage win. I fail to see why this is so bad tactically. I mean there is only so much you can do, when you can't drop a rider who also won't work together with you.

exactly. froome must have been as shocked as we were that someone was able to follow his seated alien accelerations. in the first 2 days he's shown that he is the best time trialler and the best climber, but he's learned that the second best guy isn't quite as impotent as he was last year.

i think this will motivate him more than ever. after winning the dauphine, he'll do many 5 hour training rides but will tell brailsford he was only riding 2 hours.

Jul 21, 2012
UlleGigo said:
To take a step away from all the asthma inhaler abuse for just a moment. I'd like to talk about how poor of a rider Froome is tactically. Today he burnt his team out 7km from the finish line then tries to launch the 'Armstrong The Look' attack straight away, twice, against what has to be the greatest stage racer of our time.

And then he tries exactly the same thing a few kilometres later, twice more, when it never looked like working at the first and second attempts a few kms earlier. Froome rode it so badly that Contador nearly had enough to get over the top at the end.

For me Froome simply can't be that inept tactically. Bike racing tactics really aren't all that complicated. But Froome's tactic seems to be simply, 'ride off the front in plain view of all my competitors because fvck them'. Its either unfathomably poor tactics or simply that the guy has no respect for his fellow competitor. It really makes me wonder, why does he think he's so utterly unbeatable? Even Armstrong, the most arrogant man ever to rider a bicycle, was not this dismissive of his competition.

One would think that as he suffered as a thoroughly mediocre rider for the first good half of his career that he would have developed some nous.

On a side note. Who else was laughing their **** off on Froome's very first attack where he did his 'in the saddle road-runner attack'? The guy looks like a vintage egg beater on the bike at the best of times but wholly crap all semblance of rhythm is cast aside with that abomination.

I agree with this. Since Froome spent most of his career carrying bottles for Henderson and trying to keep up with the gruppetto, maybe he never had a chance to figure out how to actually win races.

Then when someone handed him 100 extra watts one day, he didnt have a clue what he was doing. It really is a cruel joke played on pro cycling. Its like someone place a motorbike in the peloton and its allowed to compete on equal terms.

I cant remember seeing anyone as clueless and out of place as the Dawg. The only thing he knows how to do is to hit full gas and ride fast in a straight line. But the moment that doesnt work, he is on the radio trying to figure out what to do.

SeriousSam said:
exactly. froome must have been as shocked as we were that someone was able to follow his seated alien accelerations. in the first 2 days he's shown that he is the best time trialler and the best climber, but he's learned that the second best guy isn't quite as impotent as he was last year.

i think this will motivate him more than ever. after winning the dauphine, he'll do many 5 hour training rides but will tell brailsford he was only riding 2 hours.

the attack at 5 to go was a standing alien acceleration, kind of like a praying mantis scrambling over a pile of dirt

the sceptic said:
I agree with this. Since Froome spent most of his career carrying bottles for Henderson and trying to keep up with the gruppetto, maybe he never had a chance to figure out how to actually win races.

Then when someone handed him 100 extra watts one day, he didnt have a clue what he was doing. It really is a cruel joke played on pro cycling. Its like someone place a motorbike in the peloton and its allowed to compete on equal terms.

I cant remember seeing anyone as clueless and out of place as the Dawg. The only thing he knows how to do is to hit full gas and ride fast in a straight line. But the moment that doesnt work, he is on the radio trying to figure out what to do.

All of that is true.
Yet it was also true of Merckx.

Oct 30, 2010
Alright folks? Haven't posted in a while, but this Froome business has piqued my interest.

How on earth can Sir Dave sleep soundly in his bed at night? If history has taught us anything, it's that they all get caught in the end. He must hear the thunder rolling over the hill. There's a lot more accusations of doping being levelled at Froome this year than last. If Froome keeps doing what he's doing I can't see how the farce will keep holding out. Surely he (Sir Dave) must be thinking of how to manage the inevitable exposure, everything he worked for, all the British success in cycling will be gone in an instant, in a bag labelled 'contaminated waste'.

This isn't like '99. They can't treat us like mugs, we have been here before, been lied to directly, only much better and with fewer inconsistencies. Sky are amateurs at keeping their story straight.

I wonder if the other news organisations would consider a sting on Froome, if only to get one over on Murdoch. Stranger things have happened.

As for M Cound... She really is a dreadful woman. A real-life modern Lady Macbeth.