• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 749 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
bigcog said:
Benotti69 said:
pastronef said:
Dr Ferrari comments about the Tour de France, and the winner

http://53x12.com/do/show?page=indepth.view&id=160

Ferrari calling Froome a doper in all but name

Froome's performances, who was heavily insulted in the last stages by overeager fans probably excited and incited by the many allegations in the French press, are in line with those of the TdF of the past 15 years.
His disproportionate body, that already in 2013 I defined as "alien", his ungainly position on the bike, his accelerations at cadences never seen before make Chris a cyclist "different" from the classic stereotypes of the European tradition, such as Nibali, Quintana, Valverde and Contador himself. Different and therefore suspect.

No he's not, he's saying because he's not your typical classical grand tour rider he's getting a lot of stick when he shouldn't be.

Christ Almighty.

Brailsford has admitted that some of Froome's performances in particular have matched those by doped Tour winners. That's not an issue and nor should it be.

The key is weight. Armstrong weighed 75kg during his Tour wins (confirmed by Ferrari). Froome is 7-8 kg lighter and yet has a huge engine.

Sky's ability to help their riders lose weight (legally) is the key to their success. There have been huge advances in diet and nutrition over the last decade and Sky are taking advantage of that.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
JRanton said:
Brailsford has admitted that some of Froome's performances in particular have matched those by doped Tour winners. That's not an issue and nor should it be.

The key is weight. Armstrong weighed 75kg during his Tour wins (confirmed by Ferrari). Froome is 7-8 kg lighter and yet has a huge engine.

Sky's ability to help their riders lose weight (legally) is the key to their success. There have been huge advances in diet and nutrition over the last decade and Sky are taking advantage of that.

bewildered said:
Christ Almighty.

Dear Wiggo said:
JRanton said:

bewildered said:
Christ Almighty.

staggering

isn't it

There have been huge advances in diet and nutrition over the last decade and Sky are taking advantage of that.

is this just a little teaser

or you wanna fill us all in on a few of these details about diet and nutrition that you speak of

JRanton said:

Huh? Why shouldn't that be an issue? He's matching performances that have only been set by athletes that have been doped. Everybody who has gone as fast, or faster is tainted in some way shape or form.

JRanton said:

And you don't see that as suspect? Prior to EPO/Transfusions no riders came close to the emaciated figures of riders such as Rasmussen, Schleck, Wigans and now Froome. To add to this, Froome not only climbs like these guys, he TT's better than they could ever dream of (except Wigans). Even Lemond at his lightest looked nothing like these guys and I always thought that he pushed the limit of what was safe.

JRanton said:
Like what? Name one. Don't say a gluten free diet because:

1. Coeliac disease has been a known, identifiable condition for several decades

2. A gluten free diet has no performance benefits at all unless you ARE coeliac. Any and every certified sports nutritionist/dietician will tell you this.

The closest thing there's been to a huge advance in nutrition has been the identification of FODMAPS and their effects on the digestive system.

I'll let you do your own research regarding these and their effects, I'm already aware of them due to food intolerances my partner and I have.

If these advances are so large, and so groundbreaking, why is it that no other riders in the professional ranks are benefiting from these "huge advances in diet and nutrition" anywhere near what Froome, Wigans and now, apparently Thomas are? Even other riders from their own team?

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
42x16ss said:
JRanton said:

2. A gluten free diet has no performance benefits at all unless you ARE coeliac. Any and every certified sports nutritionist/dietician will tell you this.

heheheh don't say gluten-free because Tommy "T" Danielson was already espousing an increase in performance thanks to gluten-free back in 2008: http://www.foodsmatter.com/coeliac_disease/gluten_intolerance/glut_int_articles/pro_cyclists.html

CLjJ7_hUkAA0e6a.png:large

Dear Wiggo said:
42x16ss said:
JRanton said:

heheheh don't say gluten-free because Tommy "T" Danielson was already espousing an increase in performance thanks to gluten-free back in 2008: http://www.foodsmatter.com/coeliac_disease/gluten_intolerance/glut_int_articles/pro_cyclists.html

CLjJ7_hUkAA0e6a.png:large
That's right, him and CVV were ranting about the benefits after having it recommended by that bastion of ethical cycling, Allen Lim :rolleyes:

Anyhow, you got those examples of cutting edge advances in nutrition yet JRanton?

JRanton said:

eh...you're taking the huge engine as a given...we await publication of the pre-tranformation data to confirm ferrari, cosworth or imp...

and as other others point out...the weight loss is not a given either...its part of the program...

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
JRanton said:

I love this

Now lets rewind to a programme made about a certain athlete -what was it's name - Oh Yes
The science of Lance Armstrong!!
And the premise of this amazing show was to espouse the fact that Lance wasn't doping he had just lost a bit of weight after his illness and had a "HUGE ENGINE!!"
apparently he had a lung capacity far outweighing his size and a heart that could pump the same blood per minute as matthew pinsent (who was 15 inches and about 6 stone heavier)

Please spare us the drivel and at least go and do some historical research before blindly spewing the same crap that has been spewed time and again by all the biggest dopers in history.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
Re:

heart_attack_man said:
Anyone happen to know when the earliest mention of Bilharzia by Froome was? Something with evidence or a link would be great. Just trying to pull something together.
Try the Bilharzia thread, timeline is here http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1314256#p1314256 There may be inks to each quote earlier in the thread but you'll have to look yourself. In short there was no mention of Bilharzia prior to Sept 2011 (after Vuelta) and Froome was interviewed between Dec 2010 and Sept 2011 and made no mention of Biharzia but did say he had a chest infection at one point.

Edit: Here is the 15th Sept 2011 article http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...t-of-africa-and-onto-the-vuelta-podium_192373

Just re-read a lot of the Bilharzia thread. I think people have forgotten how ridiculous that story is. Interesting to re-read it now with hindsight

Re:

heart_attack_man said:
Anyone happen to know when the earliest mention of Bilharzia by Froome was? Something with evidence or a link would be great. Just trying to pull something together.
Earliest mention was, surprise surprise during the Vuelta, the day after Froome took the leaders jersey by smashing everyone but T martin in the time trial.

Brailsford needed an excuse to explain how the 1500-1 outsider to win cycling's 4th biggest race, had managed to overnight become a tt and climbing god.

So the day after, on the rest day, Sky announce Froome has in fact all along been suffering with this disease. Despite the fact that only a few months earlier explicitly denied suffering from any disease at all. And no mention ever being made before.

Funny that.

I would love to know more about BCs involvement with Asker Jeukendrup who was also with Rabobank until they pulled out (a fact which seems to have been removed from his CV)
http://www.gssiweb.org/about/gssi-team/asker-jeukendrup-phd
although it is here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asker_Jeukendrup

Re:

heart_attack_man said:

Here is a good timeline of the bilharzia story. Obviously the source bias has to be taken into account, but I do think it summarizes the main biographical parts of the story well. I do not think the biology is always explained correctly, but ymmv.

http://froome19.blogspot.com/2013/08/chris-froome-bilharzia.html

Re: Re:

djpbaltimore said:
heart_attack_man said:

Here is a good timeline of the bilharzia story. Obviously the source bias has to be taken into account, but I do think it summarizes the main biographical parts of the story well. I do not think the biology is always explained correctly, but ymmv.

Froome19 was a 15 year old froome fan who used to post here but got upset that the fans here didn't believe his hero so started writing the same nonsense on a "blog" with the same name.

Anyway I don't see why you linked that blog as an answer to that question. Froome19 is one or the few people on the planet who knows less about bilharzia than froome himself. He certainly doesn't answer the question of "when was the earliest mention of froomes bilharzia". How on earth linking that blog answer that question?

Relax.... As I noted, the biology is not very accurate. It is a timeline of what is said that answers the question. You don't need to buy the blog's interpretation to look at the compiled quotes. IMO, your answer was even less edifying because you didn't even bother to provide a link or single bit of evidence.

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
i don't think it answers the question at all. The question was date of earliest quote by Froome and source of quote. I answered both above: Velonews 15th September 2011.

The Hitch said:
djpbaltimore said:
heart_attack_man said:

Froome19 was a 15 year old froome fan who used to post here but got upset that the fans here didn't believe his hero so started writing the same nonsense on a "blog" with the same name.

Anyway I don't see why you linked that blog as an answer to that question. Froome19 is one or the few people on the planet who knows less about bilharzia than froome himself. He certainly doesn't answer the question of "when was the earliest mention of froomes bilharzia". How on earth linking that blog answer that question?
I didn't read the explanations at the end, but reading most of the post felt like the author didn't believe in Froome. Well, maybe that's just because the facts are not very believable. Still an interesting compilation, I especially liked the quote "Froome showed there are few better by finishing 15th in Romandie"
15th
Beaten by Cyril Gautier in the time trial

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

bewildered said:
i don't think it answers the question at all. The question was date of earliest quote by Froome and source of quote. I answered both above: Velonews 15th September 2011.
I remember that day, it was the day i thought:

''hey, another superstar with an invented excuse for an idiotic transformation''.

This is not a lie.

Re:

bewildered said:

True, that seems like the first documented quote. But it is interesting to see if there was some UTR references or quotes by Froome or the SKY camp concerning this or whether is was conjured out of thin air during the Vuelta. TBH, the most suspect part is that the Schisto references before the race seem to be retconned in subsequent to the Vuelta. Plus, none of the respiratory illnesses seem likely to be due to Schisto anyway. Like has been stated above, the account doesn't really help out Froome's case.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
bewildered said:
I remember that day, it was the day i thought:

''hey, another superstar with an invented excuse for an idiotic transformation''.

This is not a lie.

To be honest, I remember thinking - for *** sake, give the guy some room. Yes he's obviously doping cos of the transformation but that doesn't mean he would invent a disease. Take your conspiracy hats of for one second.

Only 2 years later when the tropical disease expert posted detailed quotes and sources totally destroying Froome's entire fake story, I realized - damn, FGL and the handful of others who were calling him out, were right afterall.

TRENDING THREADS