• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 810 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 22, 2014
Visit site
Re: Re:

bigcog said:
Out of interest where did Ross Tucker say that given he said that if Froome is an innocent victim of increased scepticism so be it? I imagine he'd be squealing like a stuffed pig if someone accused him of being pseudo-scientist on a daily basis. According to him it's all pattern matching as that's what humans do, so is he now a neuroscience/AI expert ? haha

https://twitter.com/Scienceofsport/status/677114014246268928
Ross Tucker ‏@Scienceofsport Dec 16
@jazzporridge @JeroenSwart The consistent message is that all the TDF top 5 are at the upper end of what is plausible with known physiology

Tucker and Swart were asked if Froome had ever performed beyond 'known limits'.

Re:

The Hitch said:
Sky defenders absolutely are a minority. On English speaking forums it may seem like they are not but cycling fanbase is so much bigger than just England and a few Americans and once you take away the nationalism (the reason for which 99% of people believe Froome to begin with) it becomes very clear that they are a small minority.

You may be right, but I'd have to see some actual stats before I'd believe that. Obviously, of course, it depends on the population base we use. Probably there is more skepticism of Froome among hard-core fans than among more casual ones.

Also, it seems to me the nationalism angle works both ways. Just as Brits are more likely to be supportive of Froome because they view him as one of their own, people in other countries are likely to be less supportive because he isn't one of their own. Is the support for Contador among Spaniards any less than that for Froome among the British?.So even if Froome supporters are a small minority, that might be a reflection of the fact that native English speakers are a small minority in Europe, not to mention other countries that send riders to pro events.

Disagree. When jspear denies evolution for example, he is 1 poster but there are usually 3 or 4 who respond.

Jspear just proves my point. He doesn't get anywhere near the attention Froome/Sky does. Yes, a few of us occasionally respond to him, but there are no threads devoted just to refuting Creationism, or fundamentalist views in general. Same with Ray Willings, e.g., and his views on 9/11, vaccines, etc., or Echoes, and his interpretations of history. Nobody is exercised enough by any of the views these posters raise to start a thread (let alone the multiple threads we see on Sky and Froome) specifically intended to rebut them.

To be fair, this is a cycling forum, and one wouldn't expect as much debate over non-cycling issues. People in general here are not as interested in debating these things. Still, when someone posts a contrarian view that has widespread social support, he or she does get a great deal of push back. Scott on the U.S. Politics thread is an obvious example. Those of us who disagree with Scott are much more inclined to debate him than to debate someone like Jspear or Ray, not because we think his views are more obviously in error, but because we know that Scott represents a much larger portion of the general population than they do. People with his views have far more influence on government and society than Jspear, et al., do.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

The Hitch said:
What is my case?

That you 'know' Froome dopes because it's the only explanation for his transformation from pack fodder to GT winner. I couldn't find an appropriate quote to this effect so I apologise in advance if I am misrepresenting your actual views.

Ventoux Boar said:
The Hitch said:
Sky defenders absolutely are a minority. On English speaking forums it may seem like they are not but cycling fanbase is so much bigger than just England and a few Americans and once you take away the nationalism (the reason for which 99% of people believe Froome to begin with) it becomes very clear that they are a small minority.

If you look at cycling's West European heartland where cycling is actually a major sport not something only a few people with cable can tune into, the skepticism is far greater than it is here, but that won't be reflected so much in the anlgophone press where everyone is a friend of Brailsford and wants to get a book contract, nor on forums like this where English people are heavily overrepresented (telling that pretty much all International posters with the exception of Taxus and gooner (allegedly Irish) doubt Froome)

I know from participation on a major Spanish cycling forum that the believers are nearly non existent, and i've heard its the same in Denmark and Holland and other countries.

The clinic responds to the - sky won by inventing marginal gains view, not because they are a majority but because they have a monopoly of the press meaning that opinion gets spread the loudest.

Blind nationalism, eh? Since it applies to the 99% you'll have no trouble backing-up that nasty insult with some examples?
http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=40002

Knock yourself out...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site

Ventoux Boar said:
The Hitch said:
What is my case?

That you 'know' Froome dopes because it's the only explanation for his transformation from pack fodder to GT winner. I couldn't find an appropriate quote to this effect so I apologise in advance if I am misrepresenting your actual views.
my position is, he dopes because they all do, and he is merely the best rider in a bunch of doping cyclists at the head of the field. Nothing to do with Chris the individual, he is one of many I am indicting.

Most wish for him to be given special treatment, for wont of evidence... but it is truly risible and treats rational and sentient people as stupid to give Chris the hall-pass

Merckx index said:
The Hitch said:

You may be right, but I'd have to see some actual stats before I'd believe that. Obviously, of course, it depends on the population base we use.

Not ideal but the stat I have is that poll by Denmark's largest newspaper in 2013. "Is froome doping". 80% yes.

Also in Ireland when Walsh was on off the ball the presenters told him that the vast majority of people who were calling in did so on the sceptics side.

Probably there is more skepticism of Froome among hard-core fans than among more casual ones.
Actually I disagree on that. I think the non cycling attitude to cycling is - its all doped. Even in the UK cycling was viewed as a doped sport until they had to pump the breaks massively in 2012 to cash in. Its very easy to dismiss the sport as doped if you are not emotionally invested in it. I used to be very mad at this myself back when I was a bigger cycling fan than I am now, the way fans from other sports would dismiss my sport as the one that is doped.

In fact, the main Sky line of argument during this last TDF was precisely that only people who don't really follow cycling believe Froome is doped. If only they did, they would realize that its all about marginal gains now and that its different from 1999.
That continues to be a common portrayal of the sceptic on the sky corners of the internet. We are all people who don't follow the sport and if we did we would realize its all clean now.

In any case I don't think one's level of interest in the sport is a major variable. British politician Jacob Rees Mogg was on a political comedy show a few weeks ago and even though he's not a sports fan he could see through the "only Russia dopes" BS immediately, picking it apart expertly. Others who have been watching for decades still think athletics is clean and that any minor problems will all be ironed out by next years olympics.

I think its more to do with how sceptical or naive someone is as a human being. Those of us who believe sport is corrupt and doped are probably less likely to be religious, and less likely to believe the promises of political leaders or fall victim to populism, and less likely to give our credit card numbers to the bloke on the phone who says he will send you diamonds worth millions in return.

Personally, I reached the conclusion that cycling as a sport is corrupt and doped in 2010, and there was a lot less evidence for that then than there is now. Back then one could actually make the case cycling was cleaning up (blood passport hadn't been exposed, times were getting slower temporarily, corruption hadn't been exposed at the UCI and IAAF to the same level, I hadn't seen just how much potential there is for corruption at grass roots level).
I reached that conclusion because my life experience away from sport has taught me that you should never underestimate the potential for humans to cheat when there is money on the line. In fact I expect it. I can't possibly imagine any sociological situation where a large group of humans all decide not to take advantage of an opportunity that will increase their lot in life.
I also have a very strict policy of NEVER trusting liars unless they are reborn through sacrifice and pay a price for their actions. Cycling is filled to the brim with liars who never paid for their actions and continue to profit for them. Can't trust that. No way.

I say that to make clear that my opinions have almost nothing to do with cycling and everything to do with how I approach life. And I think that is the same for many others.

Also, it seems to me the nationalism angle works both ways. Just as Brits are more likely to be supportive of Froome because they view him as one of their own, people in other countries are likely to be less supportive because he isn't one of their own. Is the support for Contador among Spaniards any less than that for Froome among the British?.So even if Froome supporters are a small minority, that might be a reflection of the fact that native English speakers are a small minority in Europe, not to mention other countries that send riders to pro events.
Its a good point with Contador. Clearly there are some of those idiots around too - In fact the person who started this thread is someone who I consider irrational on the case of Contador who's motivation for doubting Froome was likely because he was upset Froome beat Contador.

But Contador and most other riders are different to Sky because Sky goes deeper than being one rider from the country who happens to win.

Sky are a national team who went into the sport explicitly hiring every Brit they could get their hands on, employing what they publicly claim is a British attitude to sport (one of fair play and training hard) and now claim that it was the presence of British staff and riders and the British attitude that has cleaned the sport up and showed all the foreigners how to win clean.

Which makes it a more profound connection with patriotism than Contador - one rider in a nation that has always had success in the sport, riding for a foreign team.

The other thing is that the main point of contention for any die hard fan isn't to believe the rival is doped but to first of all believe their rider is clean.

And the easiest way to do so, these days, in 2015, is to buy into the wider "cycling has turned a corner and is clean now" logic.
Maybe not Contador, with all the baggage he carries. Most Contador fans I know accept he doped. But say Nibali or in particular Evans or TJVG or Quintana fans will often more readily entertain the idea that Froome is clean - because its part of the wider narrative that the whole sport is clean. Which in turn is how they know their riders is clean.

Feb 22, 2014
Visit site

42x16ss said:

Strewth. Hope a few are on the payroll. Sterling service from a handful of sky zoomers, granted. But evidence that 99% non-believers driven by blind prejudice? Meanwhile, closer to home:

Froome Talk: 20,250 posts
Quintana: 340 posts

Sky: 34,895 posts
Movistar: ? (search party launched)

Dedicated Brit doper thread: 2,355
Dedicated thread to other nationalities: ...

Savant12 said:
King Boonen said:
Ventoux Boar said:
King Boonen said:
Honestly, nationalism is a fair assumption by Hitch in my opinion.

To suggest an argument is so strong only flag-wearers fail to agree strikes me as a bit desperate.

No, only flag-wearers defend Sky, there is a big difference.

So, it is nationalism then?

I never said it wasn't.

ebandit said:
King Boonen said:
Ventoux Boar said:
King Boonen said:

.......here members may defend team sky where there see members making false claims,,,

misrepresenting facts................

Mark L

There are driving factors for everyone posting on here. No one is required to post or answer posts, we all have specific reasons for doing so. None of this negates the fact that, when nationality is know, it is clear that the vast majority of people who defend Sky are British. These same people don't defend other people accused of doping with the same voraciousness, they specifically defend the team associated with their nation.

I see as many false claims and twisting of the facts on both sides of the argument, the suspended posters thread seems to suggest the same too.

ebandit said:
King Boonen said:
Ventoux Boar said:
King Boonen said:

.......here members may defend team sky where there see members making false claims,,,

Mark L

And how many of those members then defend the sceptics when they see the fans making false claims?

I don't think anyone interested in this topic expect the 2015 test to show anything other than what is being claimed by the testers. The mystery is the pre '11 Vuelta unbelievable transformation. We have no credible data or race results prior to the '11 Vuelta that show Froome was capable of doing what he is doing now.

I also find it quite interesting that Swart mentions the "riding to power" tactic made famous by USPostal.

Re:

MikeS369 said:
I don't think anyone interested in this topic expect the 2015 test to show anything other than what is being claimed by the testers. The mystery is the pre '11 Vuelta unbelievable transformation. We have no credible data or race results prior to the '11 Vuelta that show Froome was capable of doing what he is doing now.

I also find it quite interesting that Swart mentions the "riding to power" tactic made famous by USPostal.

Apparently the way Sky do it is different to how US Postal did it.

The Hitch said:
MikeS369 said:

I'd have to dig it out but there was a Lance Tour whereby they worked out his team kept him from the front for the entire Tour bar 34 minutes (not including time trials).

The USPS model is what Sky do. They shield Frome to the point he attacks on the mountain stage. That's what Sky did on ax-3 as much as PSM this year. Armstrong USPS were exactly the same.

The only exception is Sky and Froome are going faster!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

thehog said:
The Hitch said:
MikeS369 said:

I'd have to dig it out but there was a Lance Tour whereby they worked out his team kept him from the front for the entire Tour bar 34 minutes (not including time trials).

The USPS model is what Sky do. They shield Frome to the point he attacks on the mountain stage. That's what Sky did on ax-3 as much as PSM this year. Armstrong USPS were exactly the same.

It's merely reasonable to assume they looked alot at USPS and tried to copy them in as many aspects as possible.
I think it was somewhere around 2009 when brailsford said "we know what it takes to win the tour de france".
I don't doubt they did.
edit: Here it is:
"Yeah! We pretty much know what it takes to win the Tour – we've done our homework. We know the physiological and psychological requirements as well as what it needs from a team point of view. Let's not underestimate the size of the challenge. It's a massive task but, at the same time, there's no reason why it can't be done."
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/feb/10/donald-mcrae-dave-brailsford-cycling

sniper said:
thehog said:
The Hitch said:
MikeS369 said:

It's merely reasonable to assume they looked alot at USPS and tried to copy them in as many aspects as possible.
I think it was somewhere around 2009 when brailsford said "we know what it takes to win the tour de france".
I don't doubt they did.
edit: Here it is:
"Yeah! We pretty much know what it takes to win the Tour – we've done our homework. We know the physiological and psychological requirements as well as what it needs from a team point of view. Let's not underestimate the size of the challenge. It's a massive task but, at the same time, there's no reason why it can't be done."
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/feb/10/donald-mcrae-dave-brailsford-cycling

The similarity extends to Froome always dominating the first mountain stage just like Armstrong did and from that point its consolidation.

Froome in 2013 on AX3 and 2015 on PSM. Having Thomas/Porte pace over the remainder.

Agree with Hitch's point to Swart; is he saying, "Its the same but Sky do it differently" :confused:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:
acoggan said:
thehog said:
Rather than conspiracy, and as you would attest people work though issues and hypothesis to varying different conclusions, its very normal. Another term would be "brainstorming" rather than the lazy term "its a conspiracy".

Yes, as if pouring over photographs and videos of the testing to see whether or not Froome dresses right or left will tell you whether of not he dopes.

True, however who said those integrations were to determine doping or not?

Oops, apparently I'm in the wrong clinic - I thought the subject here was doping, not urology.

King Boonen said:
ebandit said:
King Boonen said:
Ventoux Boar said:
King Boonen said:

Mark L

There are driving factors for everyone posting on here. No one is required to post or answer posts, we all have specific reasons for doing so. None of this negates the fact that, when nationality is know, it is clear that the vast majority of people who defend Sky are British. These same people don't defend other people accused of doping with the same voraciousness, they specifically defend the team associated with their nation.

I see as many false claims and twisting of the facts on both sides of the argument, the suspended posters thread seems to suggest the same too.

this......................

LaFlorecita said:
The Hitch said:
Lol what. Not even top 5?

40 000 votes compared to almost 400 000 for Murray

Hahahaha.

But cycling is supposedly growing in the united kingdom, becoming a major sport.
I'm more shocked at Lizzie's low position.. and she looked so pretty too

Its a celebrity award.

And to be fair, sport is all about celebrity in these days. Especially on the bbc but pretty much everywhere.

Lizzie aint a celebrity.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Re:

MikeS369 said:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15116&hilit=froome

This was my OP.

Sometimes, a rider can get results if they are no longer forced to work as a domestique. His results were great as a debut on John Robertson's Barloworld in 2008 or 2009 or whenever it was...

ofcourse he dopes, just like he would have at World Cycling Centre in Aigle, and at Konica Minolta, but he is not on his own, they are all on it when you are talking top20 GC at the three grand tours.

TRENDING THREADS