• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 812 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

thehog said:
Go to any junior race through Europe. There's kids in toe clips, borrowed bikes, borrowed parts, too big, too small bikes, steel rims, you name it. It's all there. Froome was no different. It's not till someone is paying for your bike do finally get a decent one. Froome was on proper equipment at a younger age than most.

DSC_4704.JPG

30 years ago, sure. But the last 25 years I never saw a junior racer with bad equipment. It's not as if a good bike with Shimano 105 is beyond most parents, quite a few ride Ultegra or better. And toe clips and steel rims have been extinct on any level for ages :D

Europe is solidly first world with small families and quite a lot of disposable cash for these things... even though the people scream they are so hit by the economic crunch :D

Re: The Froome Files, test data only thread

That guy on the Giant has aluminum rims and its a stock supermarket bike. But granted there's no one in that photo with sandshoes like Froome had to put up with.

Also, white legs and white socks pulled up is a big no no.. haven't these guys read the rules?

Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
GW15something said:
42x16ss said:
blackcat said:
I would hate for that to be my low end gear :rolleyes:

Konica had good gear...
You and I know that, but the narrative is that Froome didn't have good gear until his Barloworld days at least.

I believe he means "gear" of another kind... so the story goes there were a few at Konica cum Barloworld who were popped or went away for a while.

wrinklyvet said:
elduggo said:
so sir Chris is now officially sir Chris. A 'made' man, effectively. Which pretty much makes him untouchable.

Not at all. He's not knighted.

Wrinkly - I thought you were out of here ! But seeing as you put your head back in, when do you reckon Brian Cookson OBE will be upgraded ? If Coe can be a Baron, surely someone of a similar, albeit far less competent, form can go up a notch or two.

All those services he has provided to the sport of cycling.
Expert at being incurious - check
Expert at telegraphing an inspection - check
I could go on but I know you will be ahead of me here.

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
elduggo said:
so sir Chris is now officially sir Chris. A 'made' man, effectively. Which pretty much makes him untouchable.
wrinklyvet said:
I do see a trend developing here though.

New Year's honours 2016: the full list
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/dec/30/new-years-honours-2016-the-full-list

KNIGHTS BACHELOR
Dr Michael Graham Jacobs. Clinical lead in infectious diseases, Royal Free London NHS Foundation Trust. For services to the prevention and treatment of infectious diseases. (London)
Keeping Froome from infecting U.K. population

ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE
CIVIL ORDER OF THE BRITISH EMPIRE
DBE (Dame)

Jane Elizabeth Ailwen (Sian) Phillips, CBE. Actor. For services to drama. (London)
Consultant to Sir David Brailsford

Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE)
John Surtees, OBE. For services to motorsport. (Lingfield, Surrey)
Obvious connection is obvious

Prof David Michael Lane. Professor of autonomous systems engineering, Heriot Watt University and founding director, Edinburgh Centre for Robotics. For services to engineering. (Edinburgh)
Consultant to Team Sky

Gillian McGregor. Deputy director, Immigration Enforcement for Scotland and Northern Ireland, Home Office. For services to immigration management and counter T-terrorism. (Glasgow, Lanarkshire)
Head of Strategies To Keep David Millar out

Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE)
Maree Lisette Barnett. Head of emerging infections, Department of Health. For services to public health. (London)
Consultant to Christopher Clive Froome

Prof Jill Belch. Professor of vascular medicine, University of Dundee. For services to medicine. (Scone, Perth and Kinross)
Consultant to Christopher Clive Froome's skin

Prof David Anthony Cowan. Professor of pharmaceutical toxicology and director Drug Control Centre, King’s College London. For services to anti-doping science. (Arkley, Hertfordshire)
Keeping Team Sky clean

Prof William Donachie. For services to animal and veterinary biosciences. (East Calder, West Lothian)
Supplier of horse steroids

Terence Thomas Robin Douglas. Chair of trustees, the Who Cares? Trust, London. For services to children and young People. (Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire)
Leading the effort to combat Christopher Clive Froome's lack of popularity

Prof William John Edmunds. Professor, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. For services to infectious disease control particularly the Ebola crisis response in West Africa.
Overseeing Christopher Clive Froome's next leap in performance

Christopher Clive Froome. Professional road racing cyclist. For services to cycling.

Robert Ellis Howden. President, British Cycling. For services to cycling. (Wakefield, West Yorkshire)

Prof Annalu Waller. Chair, human communication technologies, University of Dundee. For services to people with complex communication needs. (Dundee)
Consultant to Fran Millar

BRITISH EMPIRE MEDAL
Jody Louisa Green. Mentor, community-led initiatives, Manchester. For services to the resettlement of ex-offenders. (Stretford, Greater Manchester)
Consultant to JTL

Freddythefrog said:
wrinklyvet said:
elduggo said:

Wrinkly - I thought you were out of here ! But seeing as you put your head back in, when do you reckon Brian Cookson OBE will be upgraded ? If Coe can be a Baron, surely someone of a similar, albeit far less competent, form can go up a notch or two.

No idea Freddy, but those suggestions don't sound likely to achieve any elevation. If you want a realistic answer, the only possibility I see for an upgrade is perhaps once he finishes his stint. In the meantime, just as you don't recognise any valid reason to give further honours at present, probably nobody else does either. That's not a criticism on my part.

wrinklyvet said:
Freddythefrog said:
wrinklyvet said:
elduggo said:

No idea Freddy, but those suggestions don't sound likely to achieve any elevation. If you want a realistic answer, the only possibility I see for an upgrade is perhaps once he finishes his stint. In the meantime, just as you don't recognise any valid reason to give further honours at present, probably nobody else does either. That's not a criticism on my part.

For transparency alone, surely? Give Cookson an upgrade. He'd be the first landscape gardener to be a Sir :)

No idea Freddy, but those suggestions don't sound likely to achieve any elevation. If you want a realistic answer, the only possibility I see for an upgrade is perhaps once he finishes his stint. In the meantime, just as you don't recognise any valid reason to give further honours at present, probably nobody else does either. That's not a criticism on my part.[/quote]

For transparency alone, surely? Give Cookson an upgrade. He'd be the first landscape gardener to be a Sir :)[/quote]

Are you leading me off topic? I will go no further than Sir Joseph Paxton 1803 - 1865.

wrinklyvet said:

For transparency alone, surely? Give Cookson an upgrade. He'd be the first landscape gardener to be a Sir :)[/quote]

Are you leading me off topic? I will go no further than Sir Joseph Paxton 1803 - 1865.[/quote]

I think we're getting off topic here.

This line of discussion would be better off in the sidebar thread.

I'm not sure what happened to the quoted comments either.... &#63

Interestingly and I have to admit I wasn't aware of this but between Poland 2011 and Transformation Vuelta 2011 Froome rode the Olympic Test Race in the UK, with England & Brailsford (finishing 6 minutes off the back).

Why is this interesting? Because he wasn't actually sitting around waiting for a phone call, he spent a few days in the UK with DB.

I wonder what was discussed.... :)

2vcu90o.jpg

1erhur.jpg

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
Interestingly and I have to admit I wasn't aware of this but between Poland 2011 and Transformation Vuelta 2011 Froome rode the Olympic Test Race in the UK, with England & Brailsford (finishing 6 minutes off the back).

Why is this interesting? Because he wasn't actually sitting around waiting for a phone call, he spent a few days in the UK with DB.

I wonder what was discussed.... :)

2vcu90o.jpg

1erhur.jpg

So how long after this event to the Vuelta because his body shape looks a lot different. That transformation will never be explained to cycling fans it was so out the blue, completely crazy when you look back. At the time it was a shock to see him ripping it up. On another point Sir Daves lost a lot of weight since then and I mean a lot. I wonder why a 50+ coach wanted to lose weight at the same time as half his squad.

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
thehog said:
The Olympic test race was 6 days before the Vuelta.

Strangely he turned into this a week later.... bizarre.

2elt7gm.jpg

It was the back end of the race in which he blew it open. Whatever formula Sky found he certainly worked hard to better himself after that. I always look back to the Dauphine '14 and what might've been at the Tour. Hopefully '16 will see Froome go full mutant. I honestly believe he's in for his hardest Tour test apart from his Barlo days.

Campervan man said:
thehog said:
The Olympic test race was 6 days before the Vuelta.

Strangely he turned into this a week later.... bizarre.

2elt7gm.jpg

It was the back end of the race in which he blew it open. Whatever formula Sky found he certainly worked hard to better himself after that. I always look back to the Dauphine '14 and what might've been at the Tour. Hopefully '16 will see Froome go full mutant. I honestly believe he's in for his hardest Tour test apart from his Barlo days.

Which is surprising because he spent the first week on the front protecting Wiggins. That is full genius mutant.

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
He was quite fat on stage 11:

pic219270466_600.jpg

Nice chat last week with a space scientist about widespread NASA belief that Froome is occasionally replaced with his heavier alien twin brother, but can't be caught at present.