• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 865 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

gooner said:
fmk_RoI said:
kwikki said:
Well I don't really know if Walsh is widely known in other bike mad countries

He's not. He's barely known in the UK, except for his role in the LA thing. The Sunday Times sells less that 0.5m copies and online is hidden behind a paywall. Rarely is anything he says deemed sufficiently worthwhile for other media outlets to report it. In fact, I struggle to recall the last thing he wrote that went mainstream. Perhaps those who contend he is a major influencer of opinion on Sky could find it for me.

That's true. The ST is far from a popular paper.

Said it before, too much is made of him being the story on Sky. He rarely writes on cycling. 2013 was the exception when he followed the team around. Since then it's basically the Tour and nothing else.

The ST rely more on their Insight team over the years.

generally when people argue with you sycophantic defense of Walsh, its to point out that he is a commited cheerleader for the team, has no objectivity and prints clear untruths on their behalf as well as going back on all his former comments and statements from pre 2012.

They not about some meaningless discussion about how popular he is.

Don't confuse the 2.

Thankfully, you are right, Walsh isn' that popular at all, and that is one of life's blessings. But that's not what people call you out on.

Re:

samhocking said:
The white and green cables you see coming out the trailer, go to the brown tent and is operated from there just like at a dentist, where you operate from another room or behind xray protection screen.

bike-tent.jpg

I jest but love how the back wheels looks like its spinning with the motor left on... :lol:

Glad Froome has his Dura-Ace wheel fitted as well.

Re:

ontheroad said:
It's time that this thread was locked and closed down. The sceptics have finally been convinced according to Chris.

http://www.skysports.com/cycling/news/15264/10505923/tour-de-france-chris-froome-thinks-he-has-won-over-doping-sceptics

:lol:

Speaking in an interview with Sky News on Tuesday's rest day, the Team Sky rider said: "I definitely feel as if there has been a huge shift this year.

"At the end of last season, I basically offered myself up for independent testing and went and did a whole load of physiological testing and released that data to the public, and I feel as if that has helped things quite a lot.

"And I think also, how I have ridden the race this year, I haven't just ridden away from everyone on the climbs.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site

The Hitch said:
generally when people argue with you sycophantic defense of Walsh, its to point out that he is a commited cheerleader for the team, has no objectivity and prints clear untruths on their behalf as well as going back on all his former comments and statements from pre 2012.

Some of which criticism I have agreed with and have said so in the past. It's the revisionism and falsehood's presented on his Armstrong work and that he hasn't written any critical piece on Sky, that I take issue with. When I see that, I will continue to correct you and others.

They not about some meaningless discussion about how popular he is.

Don't confuse the 2.

Never did. It was adding to FMK's and kwikki's point.

Thankfully, you are right, Walsh isn' that popular at all, and that is one of life's blessings. But that's not what people call you out on.

Lets obsess over someone that isn't popular and whose columns don't have a big catch. Isn't that the whole point I made?

May 26, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:
samhocking said:
The white and green cables you see coming out the trailer, go to the brown tent and is operated from there just like at a dentist, where you operate from another room or behind xray protection screen.

bike-tent.jpg

I jest but love how the back wheels looks like its spinning with the motor left on... :lol:

Some pics on twitter of stages that Froome has done well in(ie killed it) and the rear wheel is unbranded. :razz:

BYOP88 said:
thehog said:
samhocking said:

bike-tent.jpg

Some pics on twitter of stages that Froome has done well in(ie killed it) and the rear wheel is unbranded. :razz:

Ventoux 2013 unbranded. Chorges TT 2013 unbranded then switched to TT bike
Col du Beal 2014 branded
PSM 2015 branded
Ax 2013 branded
Dauphiné 2016-2015 branded

"At the end of last season, I basically offered myself up for independent testing and went and did a whole load of physiological testing and released that data to the public, and I feel as if that has helped things quite a lot.

"And I think also, how I have ridden the race this year, I haven't just ridden away from everyone on the climbs.

It is dubious to say the least as to how independent Jeroen Swart actually is when he continues to agressively defend sky. He is a clever guy but I would question his motives for justifying and defending the numbers put forward. The data is limited and the timescale it took to release was ridiculous. Now I could be wrong but I don't think the tests done anything whatsoever to convince anybody that wasn't convinced beforehand.

As expected, the 2 attacks (one descent, one flat) that gained Froome 30-40 seconds have been put forward in support of clean performances. Aside from any doping allegations, the attack on the descent was actually a brave move and was plausible without any chemical assistance imo. But the risk was higher than the reward for a GC rider with such physical supremacy over the rest of the field. The attack on the flat with Sagan required serious horsepower and as it was made the day before Ventoux (the riders didn't know the stage had been shortened at that point) it was slightly bizarre. I believe Froome wants to win in a certain way that create's less suspicion over any doping allegations and those 2 stages provide him with a useful argument in his book. However you can't have it both ways. It has been a dull tour because Froome has simply won it by blasting away the GC riders in the time trial and picking up a few seconds here and there in other stages and then defending his position.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
You know this morning I thought your theory was nonsense, but Froome's comment today about not blasting away from people on the climbs is a bit strange.

It begs more questions than it answers.

Re:

kwikki said:
You know this morning I thought your theory was nonsense, but Froome's comment today about not blasting away from people on the climbs is a bit strange.

Yes, it begs simply one question for me. Is he sandbagging on the climbs and holding something back, conscious of the line of questioning that will follow?

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
I'll have to wait until the ITV highlights to see the quote in context, but if he's presenting lack of blistering attacks as the reason for less vehement doping accusations then he ought to ask himself whether his words don't in themselves cast doubt on his performances in previous years.

At the very least, it seems like a daft thing to say, doping or not.

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
We'll never see a Ventoux 13 attack from Froome again. That was a full blown thermo nuclear motor doping *** attack of all time. No way he'd get away with that now.

I'm a little sad about that. It was the highlight of the pro racing year.

thehog said:
Pantani Attacks said:
We'll never see a Ventoux 13 attack from Froome again. That was a full blown thermo nuclear motor doping *** attack of all time. No way he'd get away with that now.

He did a couple of seated egg beaters on Ventoux this year, not nearly with the same force though.

I disagree. He basically left everyone behind. Then Porte and Yates caught back up. Then moto/fan chaos ensued and now the only thing anyone remembers is the run.

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site

ontheroad said:
kwikki said:

Yes, it begs simply one question for me. Is he sandbagging on the climbs and holding something back, conscious of the line of questioning that will follow?

Come on it's not difficult. Froome is conserving something for the Alps. The late climbs were nearly his downfall last year and where Movistar have some moves planned. Friday is fireworks day possibly.

Considering Froome has said he thinks doping speculation has died down since he's "not dropping everyone on the climbs", he must be welcoming the barrage of *** due his way if he pulls the egg beater out on one of the remaining MTFs.

I hope Nairo's rest day bag is a good one and he schools Froome tomorrow. The TT and Mont Blanc will go down in the annals of legendary doped performances in that case.

thehog said:
Pantani Attacks said:

He did a couple of seated egg beaters on Ventoux this year, not nearly with the same force though.

Not sure if anyone else has suggested this yet, but considering the events on Ventoux and the egg beater nature of Froome's 'physiologically impossible' attacks (say's Lemond), I put forward a new nickname for the Froomster:

giphy.gif

The Road Runner!

Good one! :) ...in more than way! :)
King Of Molehill said:
Not sure if anyone else has suggested this yet, but considering the events on Ventoux and the egg beater nature of Froome's 'physiologically impossible' attacks (say's Lemond), I put forward a new nickname for the Froomster:

The Road Runner!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re:

adamfo said:
As far as I can make out Lemonde didn't go to college. What he knows about physiology could probably be written on the back of a *** packet.
On Eurosport it's hard for me to make out what he is saying. He mumbles, and gets himself into real verbal contortions.

A college education is proof of what?

I would argue that LeMond learned at the coal face. Saw it in practice while practising it.

Heck Vaughters has an MBA and when asked about Froome he put forward the hypothesis of 'Crazy Adaptive Physiology'. That was money well spent. :lol:

LeMond was a big innovator in cycling when he was a rider. I think he has a better understanding than most.

If you are looking for an educated thought of Froome why not check out Doc Ross Tucker.

LeMond does not give good TV, but so what, neither does Ligget&Sherwin or Kirby in fact few do.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

DirtyWorks said:
thehog said:
Pantani Attacks said:

I disagree. He basically left everyone behind. Then Porte and Yates caught back up. Then moto/fan chaos ensued and now the only thing anyone remembers is the run.
sure, but the acceleration - seated and in the curve - with which he dropped contador in 2013 was something extraordinary.
i haven't seen him do that since.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site

Benotti69 said:
adamfo said:
As far as I can make out Lemonde didn't go to college. What he knows about physiology could probably be written on the back of a *** packet.
On Eurosport it's hard for me to make out what he is saying. He mumbles, and gets himself into real verbal contortions.

A college education is proof of what?

I would argue that LeMond learned at the coal face. Saw it in practice while practising it.

Heck Vaughters has an MBA and when asked about Froome he put forward the hypothesis of 'Crazy Adaptive Phyisology'. That was money well spent. :lol:

LeMond was a big innovator in cycling when he was a rider. I think he has a better understanding than most.

If you are looking for an educated thought of Froome why not check out Doc Ross Tucker.

LeMond does not give good TV, but so what, neither does Ligget&Sherwin or Kirby in fact few do.

Going to 'college' is not going to teach you about physiology unless you study, you know, medicine. Do you think a history graduate has more expertise in this context than a Tour-winning cyclist?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

Benotti69 said:

Ross on twitter is just a massive breath of fresh air, he's so good.
Now calling the Froome/Sky media coverage an echo chamber. No wait, an echo *cavern*. :D I'm cracking up. He's bang on the money.

Ross Tucker ‏@Scienceofsport 3 Std.Vor 3 Stunden San Francisco, CA

Ross Tucker hat Sky Sports Cycling retweetet

That's because Mrs. Froome blocks all doubters, and he is the subject of fawning media coverage. It's an echo cavern

Ross is also a guy desperately trying to protect his trade from charlatanry and pseudoscience.
He's darn isolated in that regard with quacks like Swart and Jeukendrup taking the absolute piss.