• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 866 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Re: Re:

Cannibal72 said:
Benotti69 said:
adamfo said:
As far as I can make out Lemonde didn't go to college. What he knows about physiology could probably be written on the back of a *** packet.
On Eurosport it's hard for me to make out what he is saying. He mumbles, and gets himself into real verbal contortions.

A college education is proof of what?

I would argue that LeMond learned at the coal face. Saw it in practice while practising it.

Heck Vaughters has an MBA and when asked about Froome he put forward the hypothesis of 'Crazy Adaptive Phyisology'. That was money well spent. :lol:
LeMond was a big innovator in cycling when he was a rider. I think he has a better understanding than most.

If you are looking for an educated thought of Froome why not check out Doc Ross Tucker.

LeMond does not give good TV, but so what, neither does Ligget&Sherwin or Kirby in fact few do.

Going to 'college' is not going to teach you about physiology unless you study, you know, medicine. Do you think a history graduate has more expertise in this context than a Tour-winning cyclist?

In terms of knowing how to construct a reasoned argument and how to go about research the answer is probably yes, should they have an interest in the subject. If you look through the forum posts those who have gone on to further education tend use fewer logical fallacies in their arguments.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Fwiw, i actually find Lemond on tv quite charming, disarming at times.
Flecha is probably more knowledgeable, but he's got that smile cemented on his face, and obviously would never dare speak a bad word about Sky.
I couldn't care less who went to school and who didnt.

Again FWIW, I always thought Lance was quite a gifted charismatic speaker.

King Of Molehill said:
thehog said:
Pantani Attacks said:
We'll never see a Ventoux 13 attack from Froome again. That was a full blown thermo nuclear motor doping *** attack of all time. No way he'd get away with that now.

He did a couple of seated egg beaters on Ventoux this year, not nearly with the same force though.

Not sure if anyone else has suggested this yet, but considering the events on Ventoux and the egg beater nature of Froome's 'physiologically impossible' attacks (say's Lemond), I put forward a new nickname for the Froomster:

giphy.gif

The Road Runner!
Gold.
especially when actual road runner''s top speed is around 20mph and coyote's can run at over 40mph - "donkey into racehorse is really quite apt"

Re:

sniper said:
Fwiw, i actually find Lemond on tv quite charming, disarming at times.
Flecha is probably more knowledgeable, but he's got that smile cemented on his face, and obviously would never dare speak a bad word about Sky.
I couldn't care less who went to school and who didnt.

Again FWIW, I always thought Lance was quite a gifted charismatic speaker.
Flecha constantly has that nervous smile, like someone important at his job has just told him a really offensive and inappropriate joke and he's just in a state of shock and has a big personal conflict about it all. Should he sell his soul and suck up to his boss by laughing or should he react negatively or should he this or that and all you get is the deer in the headlights smile while his eyes are screaming.

Which sort of fits in with what pro cycling has become, I guess.

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Saint Unix said:
Considering Froome has said he thinks doping speculation has died down since he's "not dropping everyone on the climbs", he must be welcoming the barrage of **** due his way if he pulls the egg beater out on one of the remaining MTFs.

I hope Nairo's rest day bag is a good one and he schools Froome tomorrow. The TT and Mont Blanc will go down in the annals of legendary doped performances in that case.

Nairo isn't playing ball this tour. I think Froome and Sky were hoping for a bit of a 'performance' from him in the 3rd week so they could use that as 'evidence' of how Froome isn't superhuman (if Nairo can drop him on a climb - which he clearly won't this year).

No way Yatesey will try anything. It might jeapordise his future as Sky's star-man

Apr 3, 2016
Visit site
Yates will be watching Quintana. I think he'll just sit on the back of the Sky train. He's got a minute to make up to move up a podium step, but only 14 seconds to fall off.

Re:

Tienus said:
Very interesting; I wonder if there might be other factors in play though that couldn't be seen through wind tunnel testing. For example, all that extra weight over the front wheel must have an impact; perhaps if it gives the wheel more solid contact with the ground it could result in going faster. Whereas in the drops the front wheel can bounce very slightly, killing some speed.

thehog said:
Tienus said:

Interesting study. They managed to get it released prior to the Altitude Natives study from Sky :lol:

The key point being that the gap obtained on the crest is what won him he stage and not the supposed aero position.

Probably a weight advantage over some of the others as well, Quintana in particular. That was ignored in the paper.

What this shows to me is that the position, at best, is no better than normal with the penalty of making the bike harder to control and (possibly) preventing you from pedaling as effectively (a supposition on my part).

Nothing here really that most cyclists wouldn't already instinctively know but good to see it studied with some level of rigour.

Taking this post from the pro section.

HelloDolly said:
TJ and Talanmsky promised so much a few years ago ...

Walsh makes a big deal out of the fact that Froome was so good at all these no name races against no name challengers. People like TJ, Talansky, at the same age as Froome was sucking, were actually good.

The fact that these actual talents, actually end up being average once you take the step up to the TDF, because that's how hard the competition is, makes an absolute mockery out of Froome being good because he almost won the Giro of Cape town against 10 amateurs when he was already way into pro age.

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
And it remains impossible to say what Froome's power advantage even is

All we know is that he is hardly out of breath equaling the second best climber. So absurd.