• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 886 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Funny to see Jeukendrup's name in there.

Psuedo-scientist par excellence.
Worked together with Leinders at Rabobank.
Worked with many Ethiopian and Kenyan long distance runners.
Started working with Sky in 2012.
A big fraud. But high up the food chain. Basically he is there, where Swart aspires to be.
If Jeukendrup coaches you, you're protected and you're not gonna test positive any time soon.

Re: Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
The Hegelian said:
Excellent post.
Yes thehog sterling work!

I forgot, Sky even managed to copy the extra long thigh bone story...

Chris Carmichael, who became his coach when Armstrong was still a teen-ager, told me that even then Armstrong was among the most remarkable athletes he had ever seen. Not only has his cardiovascular strength always been exceptional; his body seems specially constructed for cycling. His thigh bones are unusually long, for example, which permits him to apply just the right amount of torque to the pedals
Thigh muscles are key to powering up the mountains, where the Tour de France is almost always won or lost.

Froome's main engines are his quadriceps, the bulging muscles on the front of his ripped thighs. Studies show that cyclists have significantly more quad mass than runners and other athletes.

Froome is typical of elite cyclists, in that he has longer thighbones than most athletes. This gives him extra leverage — power on the pedals

:surprised:

Sorry this it too funny... Smalls Gains / Marginal Gains:

After that humbling experience, I went across town to see Edmund Burke, a former physiologist for the U.S. Olympic cycling team, who has written several books on training for cyclists (including one with Carmichael). “I think the genius of Chris is that he understands how much small gains matter,” Burke said. “In fact, small gains are all you will ever see. People will say, ‘You have shown only half a per cent of improvement.’ Well, half a per cent is huge. I am not talking marketing or sales here. I am talking about élite athletic performance.

:lol:

I like this one, Euros just don't know how to train properly, Armstrong leading the technology renaissance... :lol:

Brailsford has copied this model like for like. That's impressive.

Armstrong represents a new kind of athlete. He has been at the forefront of a technological renaissance that has made European cycling purists uncomfortable.

thehog said:
I like this one, Euros just don't know how to train properly, Armstrong leading the technology renaissance... :lol:

Armstrong represents a new kind of athlete. He has been at the forefront of a technological renaissance that has made European cycling purists uncomfortable.

Let's be clear: European riders were on the juice way before Jock (Jacques) Boyer learned how to pedal a tricycle. What Armstrong and his team did was systematize and analyze performance to optimize training cycles. Then they built a team solely focused on winning TdF to maximize sponsorship opportunities, which in turn begat even better TdF-oriented squads. I don't think it's a stretch to say that LA was a leader in high-tech training methods. You can gobble down any kind of pills all day long but if you don't know how to integrate them with real-world training, all you'll end up with are a bunch of Tom Simpsons...

Bolder said:
thehog said:

Let's be clear: European riders were on the juice way before Jock (Jacques) Boyer learned how to pedal a tricycle. What Armstrong and his team did was systematize and analyze performance to optimize training cycles. Then they built a team solely focused on winning TdF to maximize sponsorship opportunities, which in turn begat even better TdF-oriented squads. I don't think it's a stretch to say that LA was a leader in high-tech training methods. You can gobble down any kind of pills all day long but if you don't know how to integrate them with real-world training, all you'll end up with are a bunch of Tom Simpsons...

I don't disagree at all. I think also the real innovator here was Ferrari. Sky are using the foundations of his power models along with weight to power ratio. It's not new but mearly refined. Armstrong mostly certainly had attention to to detailed which incorporated a well thought out doping program into his power based training. Sky are not that different with their approach.

Feb 6, 2016
Visit site
thehog said:

The best one is clearly this one.

Carmichael believes that rigorous training is what ultimately turns a talented athlete into a star. “Who hits more practice balls every day than any other golfer?” Carmichael asked. “Guess what? It’s Tiger Woods. Well, Lance trains more than his competitors. He was the first to go out and actually ride the important Tour stages in advance. He doesn’t just wake up in July and say, ‘God, I hope I am ready for this race.’ He knows he is ready, because he has whipped himself all year long

The first, except for...basically every other GC contender. Nice innovation guys!

Cannibal72 said:
thehog said:

The best one is clearly this one.

Carmichael believes that rigorous training is what ultimately turns a talented athlete into a star. “Who hits more practice balls every day than any other golfer?” Carmichael asked. “Guess what? It’s Tiger Woods. Well, Lance trains more than his competitors. He was the first to go out and actually ride the important Tour stages in advance. He doesn’t just wake up in July and say, ‘God, I hope I am ready for this race.’ He knows he is ready, because he has whipped himself all year long

The first, except for...basically every other GC contender. Nice innovation guys!

It's true, French riders who like live in France never rode the same mountains in the race :cool:

I can't believe Sky have their own Beard Carmichael in Kerrison, too funny, did Brailsford just copy everything USPS did?

They even have a diseased champion who made a recovery from illness :cool: Of course once USPS got Ferrari on board they had a transformation just like Sky with Leinders.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Sorry this it too funny... Smells Gains / Marginal Gains:

After that humbling experience, I went across town to see Edmund Burke, a former physiologist for the U.S. Olympic cycling team, who has written several books on training for cyclists (including one with Carmichael). “I think the genius of Chris is that he understands how much small gains matter,” Burke said. “In fact, small gains are all you will ever see. People will say, ‘You have shown only half a per cent of improvement.’ Well, half a per cent is huge. I am not talking marketing or sales here. I am talking about élite athletic performance.

:lol:
Ed Burke, lol.

Said it before.
Late 70s, early 80s, US OTC is when/where marginal gains were invented.
It's when the likes of Burke and Borysewicz began doping juniors under the umbrella of sports science.
So when Lemond says marginal gains are ***, he knows what he's talking about.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Bolder said:
thehog said:

Dude, Amrstrong's doctor was Italian and his DS a Belgian. :lol:

Re:

sniper said:

A big fraud. But high up the food chain. Basically he is there, where Swart aspires to be.
If Jeukendrup coaches you, you're protected and you're not gonna test positive any time soon.

"Psuedo-scientist par excellence" indeed! You can see just make this stuff up as they go along... it actually must be a lot of fun just talking crap and have the media outlets just re-print it verbatim :surprised:

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site

thehog said:
sniper said:

"Psuedo-scientist par excellence" indeed! You can see just make this stuff up as they go along... it actually must be a lot of fun just talking crap and have the media outlets just re-print it verbatim :surprised:
there's a special edition of the Journal of Applied Physiology to which Jeukendrup contributed, from 2011, titled "The two-hour marathon: Who and when?". http://jap.physiology.org/content/110/1/278
That whole volume of contributions is a paradigm example of pseudo-sport-science, or, more to the point, of scientific fraud.
Doping is a topic in exactly none of the contributions.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The two hour marathon. Is is achievable?

The limiting factor may be carbohydrate supply, including both endogenous stores of muscle glycogen accumulated before the marathon and exogenous supply consumed during the marathon. Research by Asker Jeukendrup and his associates has indicated that a mixture of simple carbohydrates may be better than a single source to enhance supply and replenishment. Future research may find a more effective means to increase muscle glycogen storage before and replenish carbohydrate during the marathon, which could help maintain energy production at an optimal level, possibly even the current world-record pace of the half-marathon.

http://www.sub2hrs.com/news-events/2-hour-marathon-it-achievable/

Pseudoscience uncut, or simply pure scientific fraud.

Benotti69 said:
Bolder said:
thehog said:

Was shorthanding "LA" for his operation, which was financed by American money and what seems a very American way to go about it. Dude.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Bolder said:
Benotti69 said:
Bolder said:
thehog said:

Was shorthanding "LA" for his operation, which was financed by American money and what seems a very American way to go about it. Dude.

What Armstrong did was buy the federation(UCI) and convince ASO that the TdF won by a cancer survivor was a winner. Lots bought it. What is particularly American about that? More Sicilian to me. Other nations are very able to analyze and systemise their way of doing things! What the Americans are very good at doing is shouting about it!

so considering the UCI and ASO are indeed still reeling from the Armstrong disaster / fallout....would they really be so stupid as to give Brailsford and Sky another backdoor pass ? doesnt add up.

Could they really be passing all those drug tests ? doesnt add up.

Re:

Cycle Chic said:
so considering the UCI and ASO are indeed still reeling from the Armstrong disaster / fallout....would they really be so stupid as to give Brailsford and Sky another backdoor pass ? doesnt add up.

Another 5 years of Froome/Sky to get 8 victories, would ASO really want that?

May 26, 2009
Visit site

thehog said:
Cycle Chic said:

Another 5 years of Froome/Sky to get 8 victories, would ASO really want that?

If Froome's lucky he's got 2 more TdF wins in him. But it all depends on the TV ratings if the Tour loses more ratings next year, that will probably be Froome's last TdF win.