• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Pentacycle said:
Why are you so persistently trying to take him down then?

Entertainment, perhaps that's the sole reason he's even started riding, back in Africa. He's gone through lots of personal problems to compete, and even more **** to get a pro contract. Just to give himself and us cycling fans a good show.

It's getting boring though, I'd suggest him to do some serious mountain raids in the Tour. Those Purito-imitations are getting pretty tiring.

Better than TT Wiggins IMHO:D

Miburo said:
maybe armstrong is lying about it? he likes to do that

Yes. He did 600 watts, but modestly rounded it down to 491 so as not to be put into mutant category straight away.

It's highly unlikely that Armstrong could do 6.9 w/kg on the Madone and then lose a minute to Vaughters in an uphill TT in the Dauphine a short time later

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
roundabout said:
Yes. He did 600 watts, but modestly rounded it down to 491 so as not to be put into mutant category straight away.

It's highly unlikely that Armstrong could do 6.9 w/kg on the Madone and then lose a minute to Vaughters in an uphill TT in the Dauphine a short time later

maybe he was busy with a bloodbag then.

LA could be telling truth, it's just that someone else had a completely different calculation which also could be wrong of course. I'm just laying out the possibility that LA might be lying.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
No Ferrari......sorry, Leinders does not come close Ferrari

Nobody comes close to Ferrari. But that said, name a doctor who managed to get his riders get 4 GT's and stay absolute far away from getting them declared positive?

Take away Lance and who do you get as multi winner? Mencov.

Again, it's very easy to downplay Leinders, but if you look at the cold facts you start to realize he's very, very effective.

Parrulo said:
Valverde worked his *** off for Costa last year at the tour de suisse and without him Costa would have lost the race. So yes i can imagine him working for someone else/ giving him his bike.

Speaking of movistar riders giving up bikes, I remember there was a heroic gif/ video of El Gorrión giving up his bike for Valverde on a 20% grade, then pushing him and falling over

Parrulo said:
That was the first name that crossed my mind to be honest.

Is a pro sprinter still so much better at climbing than the amateurs? :eek:

It's the first name that crossed my mind as well.

But 6 minutes slower than Froome over a 30 minute climb seems about right for a sprinter going full out.

It's the multiple climbs that kill those guys

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:
That was the first name that crossed my mind to be honest.

Is a pro sprinter still so much better at climbing than the amateurs? :eek:

Even Cavendish can drop(or at least keep up with) high level amateurs. I thought this was well-known fact.:confused: Sprinters require a big engine to be able to deliver their speed after a 150-250 km race, even when they're only wheelsucking.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Speaking of movistar riders giving up bikes, I remember there was a heroic gif/ video of El Gorrión giving up his bike for Valverde on a 20% grade, then pushing him and falling over

LBL 2012? On la Redoute.

Pentacycle said:
Even Cavendish can drop(or at least keep up with) high level amateurs. I thought this was well-known fact.:confused: Sprinters require a big engine to be able to deliver their speed after a 150-250 km race, even when they're only wheelsucking.

Do you really need to always post with such a condescending tone?

Its not a matter of dropping/keeping up, its a matter of being almost 2 and a half minutes faster than second fastest guy up the climb. Ofc that could be the result of the second fastest guy being just a normal guy but being this the Madone i am pretty sure a lot of strong amateur climbers like to time themselves up as well.

May 28, 2012
Visit site
Parrulo said:

Its not a matter of dropping/keeping up, its a matter of being almost 2 and a half minutes faster than second fastest guy up the climb. Ofc that could be the result of the second fastest guy being just a normal guy but being this the Madone i am pretty sure a lot of strong amateur climbers like to time themselves up as well.

Sorry about the tone.

A rider either has an engine and he can become a pro, or he stays an amateur. That's why you see climber type riders in Belgium or Holland still win flat races, or you see Greipel win the climbing competition at the German juniors. They're just three classes above the rest. Of course I agree that some climber-type amateurs who had pro ambitions should be able to do better than a sprinter. It's very hard to find the time to do that though, and it's not like everyone's on Strava.

Parrulo said:

lol

10 char

TRENDING THREADS