• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Corticosteroids!! :eek: Need a TUE for that.

Question. In theory. Could you have the disease and ride a GT with it?

TUE granted.
In theory you can ride a GT with it, but the stress on your immune system will most likely make the disease flare up.
But if you look at the symptoms of Bilharzia, which symptoms are not likely to occur in a GT rider
- Body aches? Check
- Headache? Check
- Rash? As in heat-rash covered in Lycra? Sure!
- Abdominal pain? Of course! Try living on gels and energy.drink for three weeks!
- Cough? Sure
- Shortness of breath? Most definitely
- Lesions on the perianal area? De rigeur for any GT rider I'd say.
- Mental status changes? Well, you're in a constantly changing environment every day for three weeks, in a very demanding setting, where your body is under attack every day and you risk severe bodily injury or even death. Strange if they're not borderline psychotic for that reason alone.

Now, blood in the stools or urine would make most people understand there's something wrong. Certainly in urine. I don't inspect my stools very much myself; they're usually covered in plenty of bog-roll when they're flushed. But otoh blood in the urine is only seen in some, not all patients with bilharzia.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
hektoren said:
TUE granted.
In theory you can ride a GT with it, but the stress on your immune system will most likely make the disease flare up.
But if you look at the symptoms of Bilharzia, which symptoms are not likely to occur in a GT rider
- Body aches? Check
- Headache? Check
- Rash? As in heat-rash covered in Lycra? Sure!
- Abdominal pain? Of course! Try living on gels and energy.drink for three weeks!
- Cough? Sure
- Shortness of breath? Most definitely
- Lesions on the perianal area? De rigeur for any GT rider I'd say.
- Mental status changes? Well, you're in a constantly changing environment every day for three weeks, in a very demanding setting, where your body is under attack every day and you risk severe bodily injury or even death. Strange if they're not borderline psychotic for that reason alone.

Now, blood in the stools or urine would make most people understand there's something wrong. Certainly in urine. I don't inspect my stools very much myself; they're usually covered in plenty of bog-roll when they're flushed. But otoh blood in the urine is only seen in some, not all patients with bilharzia.
Little worms in ones arteries are also common for GT riders. Organ damage too. Nothing more?

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
So he still has the disease now? ;)

No, I'm so not saying that. I've just noticed. And it usually occurs after mountain-stages where the temp is low. I've got cold-induced asthma myself and recognize the symptoms. Maybe Froome has a permanent change in the tissue of his bronchi due to bilharzia? I don't know. I've just observed that his post-stage cough seems to be more pronounced than in other riders. At least, this is a theory that has more credence than the "Froome is juiced because I believe it is so, not because of any factual knowledge, just because I believe he is."

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Little worms in ones arteries are also common for GT riders. Organ damage too. Nothing more?

Worms in arteries aren't ever found unless you're dead. Ditto for organ damage, unless you take biopsies of your liver. What you do find is changes in a lot of blood-and urine parameters indicating there's trouble ahead.

FrankChickens said:
The incubation period is usually a matter of weeks. Froome himself states that he had tests done whilst in SA in December 2010 - which would have been a few days after the race on 27 November - and according to him / Sky PR, this is how he came to know he had the disease.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...at-the-bug-for-second-at-Vuelta-a-Espana.html

Why would he need tests for Bilharzia after just doing the lion's share of the work setting a new course record at our longest one day event?

Using Google's date range search we can establish that there is zero mention of Froome and Bilharzia until the very day he takes the leader's jersey at the 2011 Vuelta. That includes any knowledge of him having the disease here in South Africa, where he was already a well-known face on the local racing scene.

The day before Vuelta leaders jersey - nada

The day the Vuelta concluded - 2 pages of results

So he wasn't utterly ****e then?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
doping suspecioms will soon destroy any mind in the clinic. From now on the extent of legitimacy of the Tour winner is measured by how he's handled by clinic regular posters. what a profanation... :)

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
hektoren said:
Worms in arteries aren't ever found unless you're dead. Ditto for organ damage, unless you take biopsies of your liver. What you do find is changes in a lot of blood-and urine parameters indicating there's trouble ahead.
In other words anemia. Thats fine when you are a cyclist.

hektoren said:
No, I'm so not saying that. I've just noticed. And it usually occurs after mountain-stages where the temp is low. I've got cold-induced asthma myself and recognize the symptoms. Maybe Froome has a permanent change in the tissue of his bronchi due to bilharzia? I don't know. I've just observed that his post-stage cough seems to be more pronounced than in other riders. At least, this is a theory that has more credence than the "Froome is juiced because I believe it is so, not because of any factual knowledge, just because I believe he is."

Never know that 'cough' could be because of a blood transfusion? :rolleyes:

Blood transfusion reactions
Blood transfusion reactions are a problem caused by receiving blood. The most common problem is an allergic reaction. Allergic reactions may cause itching, hives or a rash, and rarely, may be associated with swelling, coughing....

Sounds just like Badzhilla :rolleyes:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dba/transfusion.html?mobile=nocontent

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Froome says "target TDF next 6/7 years" Almost as if he is saying 2013 is already mine and I intended to collect the next 6/7. His confidence is getting to intoxicating levels, its getting to his head. I have said for a long time that the difference between the woods,Federrer,Nadal etc and your average joe who wins one major here and there is the temperament and attitude. The greats realize that one crash or one mental slip and the major is gone, big difference between the major's and the 1 wk stage races.

The fella, froome seems drunk with himself.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
jilbiker said:
Froome says "target TDF next 6/7 years" Almost as if he is saying 2013 is already mine and I intended to collect the next 6/7. His confidence is getting to intoxicating levels, its getting to his head. I have said for a long time that the difference between the woods,Federrer,Nadal etc and your average joe who wins one major here and there is the temperament and attitude. The greats realize that one crash or one mental slip and the major is gone, big difference between the major's and the 1 wk stage races.

He could end up like Merckx in 1973. The spectators sick and tired with and then a solid punch to the ribs and then that TDF are gone.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
jilbiker said:

the more cocky he gets the more likely he will do something stupid.

He is reminding me more and more of Lance.

FrankChickens said:
The incubation period is usually a matter of weeks. Froome himself states that he had tests done whilst in SA in December 2010 - which would have been a few days after the race on 27 November - and according to him / Sky PR, this is how he came to know he had the disease.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...at-the-bug-for-second-at-Vuelta-a-Espana.html

Why would he need tests for Bilharzia after just doing the lion's share of the work setting a new course record at our longest one day event?

Using Google's date range search we can establish that there is zero mention of Froome and Bilharzia until the very day he takes the leader's jersey at the 2011 Vuelta. That includes any knowledge of him having the disease here in South Africa, where he was already a well-known face on the local racing scene.

The day before Vuelta leaders jersey - nada

The day the Vuelta concluded - 2 pages of results

Having read the wikipedia article:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bilharzia

I get the idea that it would take 4-8 weeks for the parasites to reach maturity and then reproduce. Hence it would take time before any symptoms occur.

Anyway he could have gotten it in South Africa too. So I don't see how him being good in that TTT is indicative of anything.

As for it's diagnosis, I have no idea how early after infection it can be detected. Might be long before symptoms are obvious.

As for why one would require a test. Uci demands health checks IIRC. Or maybe he had blood in his urine, or he felt more tired than he used to feel or.. or... etc.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
the sceptic said:
the more cocky he gets the more likely he will do something stupid.

He is reminding me more and more of Lance.

I thought the same thing. He is using more personal pronouns that tiger Woods in a press conference.

Take a look at the last photo in the "caption this" thread.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Never know that 'cough' could be because of a blood transfusion? :rolleyes:

Sounds just like Badzhilla :rolleyes:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dba/transfusion.html?mobile=nocontent

The Bilharzia is a dead end. Unless you're privy to all info in Froome's medical journal, which we're not, it'll be just speculation. BUT, you can be sure of one thing: his medical condition, treatment etc. is meticulously recorded and open for close scrutiny by relevant authorities.

hektoren said:
The Bilharzia is a dead end. Unless you're privy to all info in Froome's medical journal, which we're not, it'll be just speculation. BUT, you can be sure of one thing: his medical condition, treatment etc. is meticulously recorded and open for close scrutiny by relevant authorities.

Thanks. Keep me posted on any updates from the relevant authorities :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS