• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 801 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
Correct Armstrong was never a Dom.

Armstrong was a decent rider pre cancer. He was also doping pre-cancer. His semi-transformation was from a really good one day rider into a GT rider. It took him 18 months to come back after cancer to win a GT. His 1998 Vuelta was fairly good but it took him time.

Froome went from very average, to really poor in Poland, then in 3 weeks he was sprinting up mountains after shielding Wiggins in the first week. That was truly the most absurd thing I've ever seen in cycling. On Peña Cabarga Wiggins actually dropped his chain 5km from he climb. Froome even had time to pace him back to the group before he went on his El Cobo rampage.

To the Froome tests, agree, I don't know how they plan to explain this pre-11-Vuelta period but it will make fun reading!

Serious question about your nothing to world-beater in 3 weeks. Is it even possible to get on a PED program that can make that quick a transformation? I would think getting on the drugs within a short period would have adverse effects on the body even if the w/kg potential was upped and sustained. I would say some weight loss as a possible side effect if you look at Froome's skinny arms and frame. So, any decent photos of him riding in Poland before the Tour?

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
Is it true that Mrs. Froome's mom/stepmom is a bodybuilder?

In cycling, like in every sports, talent shows up early.
Not when one is 26, and after a badzilla/asthma/lung infection.
Come on

Savant12 said:
thehog said:
Correct Armstrong was never a Dom.

Armstrong was a decent rider pre cancer. He was also doping pre-cancer. His semi-transformation was from a really good one day rider into a GT rider. It took him 18 months to come back after cancer to win a GT. His 1998 Vuelta was fairly good but it took him time.

Froome went from very average, to really poor in Poland, then in 3 weeks he was sprinting up mountains after shielding Wiggins in the first week. That was truly the most absurd thing I've ever seen in cycling. On Peña Cabarga Wiggins actually dropped his chain 5km from he climb. Froome even had time to pace him back to the group before he went on his El Cobo rampage.

To the Froome tests, agree, I don't know how they plan to explain this pre-11-Vuelta period but it will make fun reading!

Serious question about your nothing to world-beater in 3 weeks. Is it even possible to get on a PED program that can make that quick a transformation? I would think getting on the drugs within a short period would have adverse effects on the body even if the w/kg potential was upped and sustained. I would say some weight loss as a possible side effect if you look at Froome's skinny arms and frame. So, any decent photos of him riding in Poland before the Tour?

It's actually a good question. The change was AICAR. Did you see the lab rats test on France-3?

Way more effective than EPO and undectable in 2011.

Here's Froome in Poland, 26 minutes off the pace... 3 weeks later he WWF climbing & TT'ing like a Cobo on speed at the Vuelta.

6rrb0j.png

And here's Super Dawg 3 weeks later at the Vuelta:

296gr5y.jpg

Savant12 said:

If you look at Froome's season, and keep in mind some of John Swanson's analysis of Froome's power output, he started the change I think in the Tour du Suisse timeframe. He placed 9th in that, 1:02 down on FC. A very nice result and arguably quite a bit better than anything he'd shown before. Had some decent top 15 results earlier in the year. Disappears for a long stretch then does absolutely nothing in Poland, then comes to the Vuelta on unheard-of form, shocking everyone including his team.

One possible if not likely explanation is that he started on a program early in the year, tuned it over time and pulled a blood bag in the Poland time frame. Blood doping combined with the change in program from earlier in the year, as well as being a particularly strong responder is one possible explanation.

I certainly don't have another one. Seems obvious he was on an AICAR like drug as well given the remarkable change in body composition combined with an increase in power. Maybe he just soft-pedaled Poland, but I don't see a compelling reason why.

Obviously I have no idea what he did, but it damn sure wasn't magic, bilharzia, training harder than everyone else or his own pillows that did it.

Dear Wiggo said:
thehog said:

296gr5y.jpg

Anyone who ever rode hard up a hill watching Froome follow Cobo's attack and then attacking Cobo immediately after, out of the saddle as he was, just motoring non-stop, sitting down, pushing on.

Just.

#notnormal.

If you were *** the whole of your career, how the hell did you know you could attack Cobo like that?

Re:

peloton said:

Come on

Yes - this is true and she's a world masters cycling champion on the track I believe

But the bodybuilder aspect is true.....

http://www.abc.net.au/news/programs/australia-wide/

at 1minute 15secs

SALBUTAMOL discussed on Australian TV - (posted on twitter by Digger.)

Excellent piece well worth listening to.

and

Tasmanian researchers scrutinise athletes' use of asthma treatment as performance enhancer

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-11-21/asthma-treatment-scrutinised-for-sports-performance-enhancer/6961068

At the 2008 Olympics in Beijing, 17 per cent of cyclists and 19 per cent of swimmers were diagnosed asthmatics.

Those cyclists won 29 per cent of the medals, and 33 per cent of the swimmers on the dais were asthmatic.

It is thought that salbutamol increases muscle performance and power over time.

Why didn’t we know about Froome’s asthma until now?
What is very curious is that while Froome has been very open about his previous struggles with the parasitic disease bilharzia – which hampered his progress for years – he never thought to mention his even longer struggles with asthma. Indeed, he has previously cited bilharzia as the reason behind his frequent “colds and coughs”.
Yet not once have we spotted Froome using the inhaler we have now been told he travels around with pretty much everywhere he goes. In fact, when Froome gave a rather chesty interview following his Tour de Romandie win in 2013, Michelle Cound assured her followers that her man was fit and healthy, claiming that “hard effort and cold air always makes him cough a bit.”

http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/06/12/didnt-know-froomes-asthma-now/

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Re:

The Hitch said:
Froome has been very open about his previous struggles with the parasitic disease bilharzia – which hampered his progress for years

Correction, but that's not entirely true. He only told people about bilharzia after he needed to explain his transformation. For a year he didn't say word 1 and even denied having it.
http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/8859/Chris-Froome-Interview-Ive-been-able-to-climb-in-the-front-group-quite-often-this-season.aspx

VN: Have you been happy with your year so far?

CF: Yes, it's going well but I've been a bit unlucky with my health recently, picking up a chest infection which seems to be lingering. No regrets, though. I've had some great days and some not so great.

VN: What's your short term goals for your career?

CF: I want to work on consistency within the tours so I can start targeting the GC more. I've been able to climb in the front group quite often this season but I haven't been able to do it on consecutive days, so that's my next area of focus. It would be great if I could get on top of that before the Vuelta

''chest infection''

read: Badzillah

Miracle Man.

Re: Re:

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
timmers said:
Well Cobo was always doped so no problemo!!
Any proof of that? Perhaps you could enlighten Spanish ADA with you evidence.
I might risk it. He won Vuelta beating Froome in the process. He's a teflon. Before Cervelo he was in Saunier Duval, and he somehow survived 2008 disaster. The Saunier Duval soup opera is enough for me to imply the doping use and enough luck/intelligence to not be that easy to caugh. He might not dope even in the Saunier period but i doubt it. You need some dope usage to win a GT in these times. Those are not 1910's and even then there was some dope and cheating involved (i think so, i've readed that some time ago; i know that the riders at night did use trains or other transport sources to rest). Of course that's only my own opinion and i respect any of yours.

Dear Wiggo said:
thehog said:

296gr5y.jpg

Anyone who ever rode hard up a hill watching Froome follow Cobo's attack and then attacking Cobo immediately after, out of the saddle as he was, just motoring non-stop, sitting down, pushing on.

Just.

#notnormal.

Ooh, and look! He's injured! Just like when he gave his bike and a push to Henderson!

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Puckfiend said:
Dear Wiggo said:
thehog said:

296gr5y.jpg

Just.

#notnormal.

Ooh, and look! He's injured! Just like when he gave his bike and a push to Henderson!

Well spotted!

Puckfiend said:
Dear Wiggo said:
thehog said:

296gr5y.jpg

Just.

#notnormal.

road rash on a leg, not a bad injury. it's not like he's riding the stage with a broken leg

road rash on a leg, not a bad injury. it's not like he's riding the stage with a broken leg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
pastronef said:
Puckfiend said:
Dear Wiggo said:
thehog said:

296gr5y.jpg

Just.

#notnormal.

oh i know, i mean his knee was obviously broken as he was pushing Henderson :D

Benotti69 said:
pastronef said:
Puckfiend said:
Dear Wiggo said:
thehog said:

296gr5y.jpg

Just.

#notnormal.

oh i know, i mean his knee was obviously broken as he was pushing Henderson :D

Yes it was broken when pushing Henderson. So broken he decided to ride a few mountain stages afterwards :rolleyes:

Checking this photo, there's no knee patches when he was TTing with his big engine into an official :cool:

20z8t40.jpg

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Yes it was broken when pushing Henderson. So broken he decided to ride a few mountain stages afterwards :rolleyes:

Checking this photo, there's no knee patches when he was TTing with his big engine into an official :cool:

20z8t40.jpg

Is that David Walsh? And those flying papers are drafts of some masterpiece he was working on at the time?

Puckfiend said:
Dear Wiggo said:
thehog said:

296gr5y.jpg

Just.

#notnormal.

wheel, his wheel :p :D

Beech Mtn said:
thehog said:

20z8t40.jpg

Is that David Walsh? And those flying papers are drafts of some masterpiece he was working on at the time?

I think you could be right. The reason there were so many mistakes in the book is because Walsh lost his notes in this crash. The chapter on Froome's asthma disappeared! :rolleyes:

Re: Re:

Digger said:
peloton said:

Come on

Yes - this is true and she's a world masters cycling champion on the track I believe

But the bodybuilder aspect is true.....
can't see this one gaining any traction, anyway. Didn't work for Shane Warne, so even less likely to work for Froome...
The "My mum gave it to me" Defense, that is

TRENDING THREADS