• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 896 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
what happened?
i'm tv-less.
on twitter i'm reading about some seated accellerations from Dawg, is that right?
if anybody can post footage, i'd be obliged.

He was dropped from main group when Quintana and Contador attacked. At one point they had c35 seconds on him. Then all of a sudden the Dawg recovered and shot up the hill catching people and dropping them like it was a flat stage.

Quintana dropped Contador and then Dawg caught him and dropped him.

Laughable.

Re:

sniper said:
cheers.
did he do that seated?

No, he just paced himself on MTF with a lot of change of gradient, whereas Contador went with Quintana and exploded ultimately, whilst Quintana took the win by 25s and red jersey. The way you lot are speaking you'd have thought he won the stage rather than rode intelligently to limit his losses :lol:

May 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

MartinGT said:
He was seated all the way.

He was dropped like a stone and then came back like superman. I suppose you still believe in Santa too

If Chris Froome was on the sauce then he wouldn't of got dropped in the first place.

Re: Re:

Zypherov said:
MartinGT said:

He was dropped like a stone and then came back like superman. I suppose you still believe in Santa too

If Chris Froome was on the sauce then he wouldn't of got dropped in the first place.

I don't think he was dropped, in the official sense (can't keep up due to the pace). He knew what he was doing, which was practicing his fake-being-dropped act for next year's TDF. He did a good job.

Zypherov said:
MartinGT said:

I know you are just trying to parody the superfans, but the sad thing is many of them have so little knowledge of doping and cycling, and so little interest in educating themselves, that they actually believe things like that.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Man paces himself on climb. -> Is now doping?

You can pace yourself on drugs and also not on drugs.

I don't think this particular performance really contributes much evidence to anything.

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Dawg was dropped pretty early, and was 50 seconds down on Quintana and Contador. Noted climber Peter Kennaugh paced Dawg a while. Then I guess he turned on the motor (or found a more favorable gradient), because he shot up through the groups like crazy. Blew past guys from the break (fair enough) and guys like Chaves/Yates. Only ones who could follow this seated acceleration extravaganza for any time at all were noted clean cyclists Alejandro Valverde and Michele Scarponi. Scarponi got dropped, then Valverde. Contador blew himself up trying to put time into Froome while he was dropped. Quintana went on, blew past Gesnik and won the stage.

Dawg did a lot of this sitting down, but he did get out the saddle to lose the sprint to Gesnik.

Anybody who spends money to sponsor a cycling team during this era is a fool.

Re:

Beech Mtn said:
Dawg was dropped pretty early, and was 50 seconds down on Quintana and Contador. Noted climber Peter Kennaugh paced Dawg a while. Then I guess he turned on the motor (or found a more favorable gradient), because he shot up through the groups like crazy. Blew past guys from the break (fair enough) and guys like Chaves/Yates. Only ones who could follow this seated acceleration extravaganza for any time at all were noted clean cyclists Alejandro Valverde and Michele Scarponi. Scarponi got dropped, then Valverde. Contador blew himself up trying to put time into Froome while he was dropped. Quintana went on, blew past Gesnik and won the stage.

Dawg did a lot of this sitting down, but he did get out the saddle to lose the sprint to Gesnik.

Anybody who spends money to sponsor a cycling team during this era of cycling is a fool.

That is a good summary. It looks like he is working to a specific wattage for a set period of time and distance. The tactic doesn't appear to work very well as he gave too much away to Quintana.

He is off camera most of the time so you don't see all the accelerations he made but he certainly was getting faster and faster, whilst some of the others were slowing, notably the injured Contador.

The steeper climbs means this tactic might be a better ploy than the front riding in the Tour.

We'll see more in the final week.

A mystifying performance that needs to be analysed. Such a curious way of riding has Froome and if this TT method of riding up mountains and ignoring what is going on around you is so effective you'd wonder why nobody thought of it before now. Sometimes I just can't make head nor tail of Froome.

Zypherov said:
MartinGT said:

I honestly believe he does it because he can. To give himself a challenge AND to make his renaissance that much more dramatic and entertaining. He's toying with his opponents. It's as if he knows he can get away with falling off of the back and then returning triumphantly as the Anglo announcers hoot and holler over his magnificence.

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site

I honestly believe he does it because he can. To give himself a challenge AND to make his renaissance that much more dramatic and entertaining. He's toying with his opponents. It's as if he knows he can get away with falling off of the back and then returning triumphantly as the Anglo announcers hoot and holler over his magnificence
So why didn't he go for the win?

Angliru said:
Zypherov said:
MartinGT said:

I honestly believe he does it because he can. To give himself a challenge AND to make his renaissance that much more dramatic and entertaining. He's toying with his opponents. It's as if he knows he can get away with falling off of the back and then returning triumphantly as the Anglo announcers hoot and holler over his magnificence.

That would maybe be a valid argument if he was winning. But he's not.

Re:

ontheroad said:
A mystifying performance that needs to be analysed. Such a curious way of riding has Froome and if this TT method of riding up mountains and ignoring what is going on around you is so effective you'd wonder why nobody thought of it before now. Sometimes I just can't make head nor tail of Froome.

Carlos Sastre would do something similar on occasion. He'd be dropped fairly early in a final climb and as others grew fatigued and faltered, Sastre could be seen slowly passing many of the riders that dropped him earlier. His method just didn't seem to be as effortless as Froome's and definitely not at the high cadence that Froome is spinning.

PremierAndrew said:
Angliru said:
Zypherov said:
MartinGT said:

Not yet. The point I believe is to make the eventual overall victory that much more dramatic and amazing. Like the Phoenix bursting from the ashes of defeat to snatch victory from his opponent.

Angliru said:
PremierAndrew said:

Not yet. The point I believe is to make the eventual overall victory that much more dramatic and amazing. Like the Phoenix bursting from the ashes of defeat to snatch victory from his opponent.

They didn't seem to have that line of thinking on Ventoux, where it was much more obvious Froome would win anyway

2008885 said:
I honestly believe he does it because he can. To give himself a challenge AND to make his renaissance that much more dramatic and entertaining. He's toying with his opponents. It's as if he knows he can get away with falling off of the back and then returning triumphantly as the Anglo announcers hoot and holler over his magnificence
So why didn't he go for the win?

Maybe he miss-timed his dramatic return. What is most important is the overall win isn't it? He still has an itt and multiple stages to get a stage win or wins. This is just the beginning of the 2nd week. He seems to be quite confident in his superiority over his rivals. Porte (or maybe it was Roche) has said as much in so many words, especially when he's at the Tour with his team of juggernauts. I just hope that Quintana can surprise him (maybe he is surprising Froome already) by continuing to put time into him in the mountains. It somewhat reminds me of Armstrong when confronted with a Pantani long range attack, has Johann call Dr. Ferari from the team car to ask if Pantani needs to be immediately shut down or should they let him sit out there and stew in his own juices for a while until they reel him in and drop him.