• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 897 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
His pacing is probably based on some sort analysis of what's best for average pace up a climb and thanks to a power meter, he can stick to the plan. It takes a lot of confidence to do that, and there's a loss because you miss out on some drafting and many riders say it's psychologically easier to follow a wheel over and beyond drafting.

But it's clear stop and go climbing will produce a worse average pace and thus when someone TTs climbs, the pacing advantage may well outweigh the lack of drafting and the psychological difficulty (which for Froome anyway seems to be nonexistent, he's the least reliant on wheel to follow out of all the top GC riders)

Re:

SeriousSam said:
His pacing is probably based on some sort analysis of what's best for average pace up a climb and thanks to a power meter, he can stick to the plan. It takes a lot of confidence to do that, and there's a loss because you miss out on some drafting and many riders say it's psychologically easier to follow a wheel over and beyond drafting.

But it's clear stop and go climbing will produce a worse average pace and thus when someone TTs climbs, the pacing advantage may well outweigh the lack of drafting and the psychological difficulty (which for Froome anyway seems to be nonexistent, he's the least reliant on wheel to follow out of all the top GC riders)

He mentioned that he'd done this climb before and had blown on it previously so I'm guessing that he chose to be more cautious this time around. I'm not sure at what point in the three weeks that it had taken place in his previous experiences though.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Probably a motor, he turns it on when no one's near him. This is the only explanation one can give for this donkey turned elite climber anyway. We're talking about the guy who got kicked out of the Giro because he couldn't climb fast enough for crying out loud. That never even happened to Cavendish.

Does he have video footage of Crookson cheating his wife or what?

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

El Pistolero said:
Probably a motor, he turns it on when no one's near him. This is the only explanation one can give for this donkey turned elite climber anyway. We're talking about the guy who got kicked out of the Giro because he couldn't climb fast enough for crying out loud. That never even happened to Cavendish.

Does he have video footage of Crookson cheating his wife or what?

It was really strange. I did think that there was some extra push, it looked very unnatural. It looked so easy and i said does this guy have a different bike from other people? I would like to get that bike, I have looked for ways to make hill climbing easy...chuckle

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

2008885 said:
I honestly believe he does it because he can. To give himself a challenge AND to make his renaissance that much more dramatic and entertaining. He's toying with his opponents. It's as if he knows he can get away with falling off of the back and then returning triumphantly as the Anglo announcers hoot and holler over his magnificence
So why didn't he go for the win?

Correct its a psychological strategy, make the rivals feels he is a done deal then turn on the moto and sail past them.

Aug 15, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Pantani Attacks said:
This rivals Ventoux in terms of obvious motor for sure. This whole Froome yo-yo *******t is more pseudo science crap too. How anyone believes it is beyond me. Froome is not like a Sastre, never was and never will be.

i think the use of an electric magnet is obvious, they switch in on and off from the car, when he gets close to other riders the magnet goes on , he gets a push and the other riders are slowed

pretty basic and obvious

P.S. i think this is a quality post that fits perfectly with the thread.

from the road race forum

Ataraxus said:
Froome - Quintana- AC (accurate) gaps at different phases of today's stage:
(km to go indicates the distance of the race leader to the finish at the moment Froome/ AC pass at the exact location that Quintana has passed previously)

-10.0k -> 12s
-9.3k -> 17s
-8.9k -> 17s
-8.2k -> 17s
-7.5k -> 23s
-6.9k -> 35
-6.3k -> 39s AC Starts his attack
-5.9k -> 49s
-5.7k -> 41s Froome increases tempo
-5.5k -> 38s
-5.3k -> 35s
-4.8k -> 33s
-4.3k -> 29s
-3.0k -> 19s (8s to AC)
-2.5k -> 25s (Froome catches AC)
-1.9k ->30s (45s toAC)
-1.0k -> 30s
finish -> 25s

Amnes2015 said:
Pantani Attacks said:
This rivals Ventoux in terms of obvious motor for sure. This whole Froome yo-yo *******t is more pseudo science crap too. How anyone believes it is beyond me. Froome is not like a Sastre, never was and never will be.

i think the use of an electric magnet is obvious, they switch in on and off from the car, when he gets close to other riders the magnet goes on , he gets a push and the other riders are slowed

pretty basic and obvious

P.S. i think this is a quality post that fits perfectly with the thread.

I think Sky are using some sort of anti-gravity device, they switch it on a Froome suddenly becomes a lot lighter in weight.Explains a lot ;)

pastronef said:
gillan1969 said:
he was in a big gear grinding over finish line...not seen that before...

Fraile, Samu, Chaves, Konig, Silin etc all on the big ring over the line. just a few pics I saw on tdwsport.com

see Nairo big ring with 23 teeth rear, you know, things riders do. ;) http://www.tdwsport.com/en/imagedesk/image-details/id/331187
Funny. He does have a Pantani-esque flair to his riding, a little heavier yet more "natural looking" than his contemporaries. As you likely know that last cog is probably a 27 or even a 29, based on the gaps on those last two cogs. It probably cost him a second or two, he was having trouble finishing that sprint. But he wasn't about to test out how his EPS handles shifting his front ring under a 500W load. I think his team doesn't mind the extra wear on the chain.

Also, the Froome motor conspiracy has to be the most ridiculous thing in this forum.

Unless anyone has any evidence of any kind that supports accusing Chris Froome of having a motor the silliness should stop.

Some of these accusations are based on nothing but tinfoil hattery.

If it's your opinion that Chris Froome is using a motor then please word your comment as such as per forum rules.

Please post links to material that back up claims and accusations, otherwise posting meritless, baseless comments will be moderated based on forum rules.

All forum rules are posted at the top of every sub forum.

Re:

Irondan said:
Unless anyone has any evidence of any kind that supports accusing Chris Froome of having a motor the silliness should stop.

If it's your opinion that Chris Froome is using a motor then please word your comment as such as per forum rules.

Please post links to material that back up claims and accusations, otherwise posting meritless, baseless comments will be moderated based on forum rules.

Maybe you missed this widely circulated video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1lFX9VpNBk

It shows Froome making several hard attacks, with a very awkward style, and his heart rate stays flat through it all.

Team Sky themselves said the data was leaked, not falsified.

It is widely thought that motors were used during this time, as the UCI did not check for them and there were several suspicious rides in big races that seemed to indicate motor use.

IzzyStradlin said:
Irondan said:

Maybe you missed this widely circulated video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1lFX9VpNBk

It shows Froome making several hard attacks, with a very awkward style, and his heart rate stays flat through it all.

Team Sky themselves said the data was leaked, not falsified.
Yeah, I've never seen that video.... :rolleyes:

If that's what someone is using as their evidence then reference it as a link...

I thought it was pretty clear but I'll just refer you to the widely circulated forum rules to read, in case you missed them.

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/viewtopic.php?p=1948393#p1948393

pastronef said:
gillan1969 said:
he was in a big gear grinding over finish line...not seen that before...

Fraile, Samu, Chaves, Konig, Silin etc all on the big ring over the line. just a few pics I saw on tdwsport.com

see Nairo big ring with 23 teeth rear, you know, things riders do. ;) http://www.tdwsport.com/en/imagedesk/image-details/id/331187

yeah...just a comment...he is usually at 130rpm...not sure I've seen him at 50 before...well not since the giro ;-)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site

thehog said:
deeno1975 said:
Froome explains (or tries to explain) his "miraculous recovery" on an Irish site, Sticky Bottle

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/froome-explains-miraculous-recovery-on-vuelta-mountain/

Moto/doping speculation aside, 6.17w p/kg for 35 minutes is about right for Froome. It most certainly is in the higher questionable areas of wattage but that's not unusual for Froome.

After a Tour de France. I'd say that's very unusual.

El Pistolero said:
thehog said:
deeno1975 said:
Froome explains (or tries to explain) his "miraculous recovery" on an Irish site, Sticky Bottle

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news/froome-explains-miraculous-recovery-on-vuelta-mountain/

Moto/doping speculation aside, 6.17w p/kg for 35 minutes is about right for Froome. It most certainly is in the higher questionable areas of wattage but that's not unusual for Froome.

After a Tour de France. I'd say that's very unusual.

Yes, that I agree with. Quintana I don't have a huge issue with, his weight works well for him on these steeper climbs. Froome is rather worrying considering he will also smash the TTs and Quintana will need about 3 minutes by that point.

Last night I re watched the stage, trying to make sense of what Froome did......

I still can't , but I noticed two different paces - One set by his crew when he started losing ground, which appeared to be "within the norm" - once all the help was gone the 2nd one was unleashed - the "magic Yo-Yo stroke" appeared and he was off passing riders by in the saddle with an inexplicable ease, while everybody in the race was suffering..... there were those aerial pictures showing him passing people like nothing-- it was like a flashback to LA's 2000 Hautacam - but then Froome was all the time in the damn saddle :eek:

101 on Cycling tell us when a rider needs to either open a gap or catch the ones on front, bigger gears are necessary to go faster....... with Froome is the opposite: lowest gears on cruise mode will do instead .......

it was so sickening to watch that BS....... :mad:

TRENDING THREADS