• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1011 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Craigee said:
We didn't see him take 32 puffs during the stage so he must've done it before the stage. No excuse for getting it wrong.

I don't think the argument is going to be that he mistakenly took too many puffs. That wouldn't be a defence.

Indeed Froome has already stated that he increased his doseage but within the allowed limits.

As we're seeing already, the defence is going to centre around technical and scientific reasons why concentrations of the substance in the body can be effected by circumstance.

Re:

glassmoon said:
was the level of 2000 ng/mL confirmed or is it just a bad translation/interpretation of the "in excess of 1000 ng/mL" around the web?
2000 seems too pretty/round number to be actual amount in sample... not that it would matter if it already is >1000.

The urine test, taken on 7 September, showed levels of the drug, Salbutamol, which is commonly taken for asthma, were at 2,000 nanograms per millilitre (ng/ml).

says here: http://www.bbc.com/sport/cycling/42335916

A couple of things. I suspect that this will be seen, in the long run, as a minor infraction and it distracts from more major issues with Froome (Pred for a start).

Secondly, I just can't see Froome/Sky taking double the legal dose when he is inevitably going to be tested. That would be stupid ... and they may be a lot of things but they aren't stupid. My bet is that they will "find" a reason for the high concentration in the urine ... dehydration for instance.

That said, he should lose the Vuelta even if there is ultimately no ban.

Re:

armchairclimber said:
A couple of things. I suspect that this will be seen, in the long run, as a minor infraction and it distracts from more major issues with Froome (Pred for a start).

Secondly, I just can't see Froome/Sky taking double the legal dose when he is inevitably going to be tested. That would be stupid ... and they may be a lot of things but they aren't stupid. My bet is that they will "find" a reason for the high concentration in the urine ... dehydration for instance.

They're not stupid? No, but they think the general cycling fan is and will aim their excuses at them.

Re:

armchairclimber said:

Exactly this.

Before deciding to presume him guilty as charged, i just cant get past this point yet :confused:

Re: Re:

MartinGT said:
armchairclimber said:

They're not stupid? No, but they think the general cycling fan is and will aim their excuses at them.

No they won't. The primary aim will be to get Froome cleared of all charges and excuses will be targeted accordingly.

The cycling public will be secondary and incidental to this process.

MartinGT said:
armchairclimber said:

Bingo. I suspect that Sky will do two things if Froome gets a provisional suspension:

Dredge up previous Salbutamol positives where the subject has gotten off very lightly or altogether and claim Froome is a victim.

Be relieved that Froome doesn’t have to attempt the double and can focus on the Tour.

MartinGT said:
armchairclimber said:

I'd say they have been pretty stupid repeatedly. Have they blamed this on Emma Pooley yet ?

My wife is asthmatic and when she has a bad attack she has taken that many puffs. It doesn't have adverse health effects. I also know that during a bad attack, the asthma sufferer will do anything to clear their airway.

As stated above, CF knows all too well the rules regarding the medicine. So...either he miscalculated, or really couldn't breathe. The third alternative is that he's been using salbutamol as a PED all along -- I wouldn't rule that out but since you can get a TUE for it, why?

I'm scratching my head a bit, as I did for Contador. I don't doubt that CF's preparation involves more than pane e aqua, but not sure this is the smoking gun we've been waiting for. On the other hand, he and his team may decide to eat a suspension along with a lot of mea culpas.

Another nail in the coffin for the sport or does Froome get the benefit of the doubt ? As a lifelong asthmatic myself, if he needed that much Ventolin and his asthma was that bad, a good performance on the day is very unlikely. Not sure how many puffs that equates to but 12 puffs per day is standard for a regular asthmatic unless he or she is not just wheezing but having full blown asthma attacks as well which often wind up on a trip to hospital or the doctors. If you are having actual asthma attacks, you are not racing a bike let alone walking. Even if he was constantly wheezing and needed the Salbutamol, any type of performance apart from sitting in the pack would surprise me. Salbutamol on it's own rarely stops full blown asthma attacks but it can alleviate the wheezing depending on the severity of the attack.enough to sit a chair and watch TV..........

Re:

Bolder said:
My wife is asthmatic and when she has a bad attack she has taken that many puffs. It doesn't have adverse health effects. I also know that during a bad attack, the asthma sufferer will do anything to clear their airway.

As stated above, CF knows all too well the rules regarding the medicine. So...either he miscalculated, or really couldn't breathe. The third alternative is that he's been using salbutamol as a PED all along -- I wouldn't rule that out but since you can get a TUE for it, why?

I'm scratching my head a bit, as I did for Contador. I don't doubt that CF's preparation involves more than pane e aqua, but not sure this is the smoking gun we've been waiting for. On the other hand, he and his team may decide to eat a suspension along with a lot of mea culpas.

If it was that bad for him, surly he wouldnt go onto win the stage by 1'+ ? Surly.

42x16ss said:
MartinGT said:
armchairclimber said:

Bingo. I suspect that Sky will do two things if Froome gets a provisional suspension:

Dredge up previous Salbutamol positives where the subject has gotten off very lightly or altogether and claim Froome is a victim.

Be relieved that Froome doesn’t have to attempt the double and can focus on the Tour.

Eh??

Why would they be 'relieved' about this? They never 'had' to attempt the double. They chose to.

Wait. Let me preempt a response with my own tin hat theory.....

Sky only announced they were going to go for the double when they knew already they were going to be suspended and therefore not able to do it. That way, they could always respond to the critics who said Froome should have gone for the Giro to be recognised as a true great by saying that they were going to but were prevented from doing so by those meanies at the UCI who unfairly suspended him....

I guess that's how it goes right?

Another example from other Sport. The "Froomie" of XC Skiing, Norwegian Martin Johnsrud Sundby, delivered 2 samples with over the limit Salbutamol values back in 2015. The matter was kept silent for 1,5 years by international Ski federation and ultimately they released Sundby from all suspitions. However, WADA made an appeal to CAS, which took a decision of stripping off Sundby's results in 4 different races and banning Sundby for 2 months (!) given it was proved Sundby didn't overdose to increase his performance.

I suspect Froome will get something similar, losing his Vuelta win (Nibali's woodoo in late action) and very short ban which makes him miss no races.

TRENDING THREADS