• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1071 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

DirtyWorks said:
macbindle said:
Does anybody really believe that many, if any, of the top riders don't dope?

As has always been the case, clean riders are in there giving it their best shot. Sure, you don't know who they are immediately, always. But, to just write off the entire peloton as doping isn't accurate. More importantly, it gives actual dopers an excuse to steal from clean riders.

See bolded. I'm not talking about the entire peloton, I'm talking about the top.

I've a mate who was a pro during the Armstrong years who told me that any rider who got to a certain level within the pro peloton would reach a point where if they wanted to be a star rider they would have a decision to make. It was more about money than morals because going on a doping programme was a huge financial commitment with no guarantee of success. Tens of thousands of pounds a year.

I can't see very much to suggest why any of that would have changed, other than possibly getting more expensive. So in relation to other riders commenting on Froome I'm not too expectant. I would expect Nibali to comment, but that is because he's a weasel.

Breh said:
Breh said:
ontheroad said:
Former star cyclist calls for a ban for Froome. Meanwhile not one current rider to the best of my knowledge has spoken out against Froome. Nibali came closest to any sort of rebuttal before he backtracked again. Long live omerta.
Mathieu Van Der Poel said Froome should be suspended.
Dumoulin said Sunweb would've suspended him if he were in the same situation. He added that things work differently with Sky so....

Add Bakelants(ofcourse) to the list.

Add Dennis (half heartedly) https://cyclingtips.com/2018/01/dennis-froome-ive-got-zero-tolerance-sort-positive-test/
and note LPR is flabbergasted by CF

Is there anything to stop Froome riding in the next few weeks ?

Normally he's done the Herald Sun Tour which is at the end of the month plus there is the Cadel Evans race a few days before

You'd have thought that they would go with the original plan if possible so that if he gets off or only gets a short ban then he's still on the ideal race schedule

Re:

Eyeballs Out said:

Normally he's done the Herald Sun Tour which is at the end of the month plus there is the Cadel Evans race a few days before

You'd have thought that they would go with the original plan if possible so that if he gets off or only gets a short ban then he's still on the ideal race schedule

no Cadel's race nor Herald Sun this year. he was supposed to start with Andalucia/Algarve, then Tirreno.

pastronef said:
Eyeballs Out said:

no Cadel's race nor Herald Sun this year. he was supposed to start with Andalucia/Algarve, then Tirreno.
Ok thanks. So 14th Feb should be his seasonal debut. It will be interesting to see if he shows up

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site

Eyeballs Out said:
pastronef said:
Eyeballs Out said:

Ok thanks. So 14th Feb should be his seasonal debut. It will be interesting to see if he shows up

Might be a bit cold for chasing the Dawg up a mountain dressed as a giant syringe :D

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site

Eyeballs Out said:
pastronef said:
Eyeballs Out said:

No one has told him no thus far, no reason to do anything different.... the optimist in me would like to say he gets suspended before the end of March or April, the pessimist says he'll win Giro and the Tour plus the Worlds and walk away scot free, a true legend of the sport....

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Eyeballs Out said:

A sudden drying up of appearance money?

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

macbindle said:
DirtyWorks said:
macbindle said:
Does anybody really believe that many, if any, of the top riders don't dope?

As has always been the case, clean riders are in there giving it their best shot. Sure, you don't know who they are immediately, always. But, to just write off the entire peloton as doping isn't accurate. More importantly, it gives actual dopers an excuse to steal from clean riders.

See bolded. I'm not talking about the entire peloton, I'm talking about the top.

I've a mate who was a pro during the Armstrong years who told me that any rider who got to a certain level within the pro peloton would reach a point where if they wanted to be a star rider they would have a decision to make. It was more about money than morals because going on a doping programme was a huge financial commitment with no guarantee of success. Tens of thousands of pounds a year.

I can't see very much to suggest why any of that would have changed, other than possibly getting more expensive. So in relation to other riders commenting on Froome I'm not too expectant. I would expect Nibali to comment, but that is because he's a weasel.

Sort of the Moncoutié conundrum : You could be up there with the top boys if you started following the proper regime, or you have to go for an entirely different career of trying to pick stages and lesser races.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
It's theoretically possible to make it to the top while microdosing on substances that are not on the official "banned" list and does not trigger a positive drug test.

I guess that's clean enough.

This doesn't make any sense. Why would you micro-dose something that isn't banned? If it isn't banned you can take as much as you want/need.

Re:

DanielSong39 said:
It's theoretically possible to make it to the top while microdosing on substances that are not on the official "banned" list and does not trigger a positive drug test.

It's easier to make it to the top by having the heads of the UCI and WADA in your hip-pocket. Then you can do whatever you want.

I think what he means is there are substances permitted you can take up to a limit in small amounts without any risk. Not sure this applies to Froomes, but if you take a much more holistic view of performance enhancement, there's likely multiple ways you can do it and stay within the rules. Asthma drugs are just one of many permitted substances.

Huapango said:
DanielSong39 said:

It's easier to make it to the top by having the heads of the UCI and WADA in your hip-pocket. Then you can do whatever you want.

This helps a lot. If only Cookie didn’t lose the election, Dawg would be getting ready to win all 3 GTs in one year. Still it’s likely Froome will get himself off as the fix is already in play.

King Boonen said:
DanielSong39 said:

This doesn't make any sense. Why would you micro-dose something that isn't banned? If it isn't banned you can take as much as you want/need.

Would love to hear an answer to this. As well as how anyone would know what is or isn't theoretically possible. I have deep doubts it's possible to do what's happening now in the "Grey Area" foisted upon us by Sky PR.

Clearly, as has just been proven, they are not in the grey area, but in the red. Not that this wasn't obvious before...

samhocking said:
I think what he means is there are substances permitted you can take up to a limit in small amounts without any risk. Not sure this applies to Froomes, but if you take a much more holistic view of performance enhancement, there's likely multiple ways you can do it and stay within the rules. Asthma drugs are just one of many permitted substances.

Absolutely - 'immoral' but not breaking the (letter of the) rules ...

For instance in the past I'm sure Meldonium was in the mix, wasn't it Brad that said "they tell us - 'you cant take that anymore' ..."

I would imagine Xenon gas was there. OOC cortisone (Kenacort?) used to slim down. TUEs for Kenacort are more dodgy in my view - was it used to mask the OOC just in case?

Salbutamol as well - although oral use is outlawed I believe, so very dodgy if they did this.

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
TheSpud said:
samhocking said:

Absolutely - 'immoral' but not breaking the (letter of the) rules ...

For instance in the past I'm sure Meldonium was in the mix, wasn't it Brad that said "they tell us - 'you cant take that anymore' ..."

I would imagine Xenon gas was there. OOC cortisone (Kenacort?) used to slim down. TUEs for Kenacort are more dodgy in my view - was it used to mask the OOC just in case?

Salbutamol as well - although oral use is outlawed I believe, so very dodgy if they did this.

Leaving morals aside the only problem with taking a marginal gains approach to pushing the envelope on the full range of grey area meds/supplements is you significantly increase the chance of tripping the wire...

King Boonen said:
DanielSong39 said:

lol

TRENDING THREADS