• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

jmdirt said:
Sorry if this has already been said (I only have a few min here at lunch to read/type).

CF says the media hyped up his case. Probably, but if he didn't have a case, they couldn't hype it up.

Tbf....one hell of a leading question by the journo isn't it...

"When asked by one journalist if the "whole pantomime" of media interest about his urine turning up with twice the allowed level of salbutamol in his Vuelta a España sample "seemed a bit ridiculous," Froome answered: "It's definitely been hyped up in the media. Anyone can see that. It shows, it shows here at the race."

Re:

jmdirt said:
Sorry if this has already been said (I only have a few min here at lunch to read/type).

CF says the media hyped up his case. Probably, but if he didn't have a case, they couldn't hype it up.
I was wondering about that. I may be missing something, but if one of the most accomplished GT riders of all time is at risk of being suspended, I think that is a pretty significant story in cycling.

But I could quite possibly be missing what Mr. Froome was trying to say.

Re: Re:

Summoned said:
jmdirt said:

I was wondering about that. I may be missing something, but if one of the most accomplished GT riders of all time is at risk of being suspended, I think that is a pretty significant story in cycling.

But I could quite possibly be missing what Mr. Froome was trying to say.

Dumb question with an appropriate answer. Next race of Mr. Froome is Tirreno-Adriatico, WT in Italy. The circus must go on.

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site

brownbobby said:
jmdirt said:

Tbf....one hell of a leading question by the journo isn't it...

"When asked by one journalist if the "whole pantomime" of media interest about his urine turning up with twice the allowed level of salbutamol in his Vuelta a España sample "seemed a bit ridiculous," Froome answered: "It's definitely been hyped up in the media. Anyone can see that. It shows, it shows here at the race."

All that is just noise.

What do YOU believe?

What is your idea of clean?

A lot of times, the discussion of guilty/innocent is based on completely different approaches to the basic definition of doping.

That has to be clear, before we nitpick, and seek nuances.

It also should be said, like many have before - that sky pledged to show the way for unprecedented (ANTI-DOPING) standards. So far that has been only setting the standards for their counterparts?

Netserk said:
Alpe73 said:
DanielSong39 said:
It's a 1000+ watt acceleration over an 18% gradient for 30 seconds.

Goes from ~400 watts to 1000+ in less than 5 seconds without causing the bike to sway.

Hmmmm. 18% .... hmmmmmmm 18%?

WhereTF is the 18% on Ventoux out of Bedoin?

Just askin.
It's ~22% where Quintana is here:

kRQZAHj.png

Of course, the inside of a hairpin bend is not used for a climb's 'official' maximum gradient.

Edit: According to cyclingcols.com, the steepest 100m are 12.9% and the steepest 200m are 12.0%.

Are you using the tree as a reference point here or am I seeing this wrong ?

danielovichdk2 said:
Netserk said:
Alpe73 said:
DanielSong39 said:
It's a 1000+ watt acceleration over an 18% gradient for 30 seconds.

Goes from ~400 watts to 1000+ in less than 5 seconds without causing the bike to sway.

Hmmmm. 18% .... hmmmmmmm 18%?

WhereTF is the 18% on Ventoux out of Bedoin?

Just askin.
It's ~22% where Quintana is here:

kRQZAHj.png

Of course, the inside of a hairpin bend is not used for a climb's 'official' maximum gradient.

Edit: According to cyclingcols.com, the steepest 100m are 12.9% and the steepest 200m are 12.0%.

Are you using the tree as a reference point here or am I seeing this wrong ?
lol. the trees don't lie, even their out to nail Froome

CL, I'm not sure what you mean, but we agree that in the image of yours, the line under Quintana's wheels are about 13 degrees positive? 13 degrees equals a gradient of 23%.

I'll give you that the tree isn't a perfect reference point, but it is the best and the spectators don't indicate that it is off. Even with a generous adjustment of 2 degrees, the gradient for Quintana would be 19.5%, which still validates the original point.

Re:

Netserk said:
CL, I'm not sure what you mean, but we agree that in the image of yours, the line under Quintana's wheels are about 13 degrees positive? 13 degrees equals a gradient of 23%.

I'll give you that the tree isn't a perfect reference point, but it is the best and the spectators don't indicate that it is off. Even with a generous adjustment of 2 degrees, the gradient for Quintana would be 19.5%, which still validates the original point.

All the maths and graphs in the world are not going to convince me that there is a single metre of road from the town of Bedoin to the summit of Ventoux that comes anywhere close to 20%. Least not one you'd ride a road bike on anyways..

Re:

Netserk said:
C'mon, everyone knows that a climb is much steeper on the inside of a sharp bend. To deny any evidence to the contrary of one's own belief is just extremely narrow-minded.

Netserk, I'm not denying your math, it looks sound. And it's not narrow mindedness on my part.

I'm just deferring to my own experience, multiple ascents of this very climb over the last 10 years. I love this climb, I feel as though I know it like the back of my mind. Every sense I have, every feeling, every bit of data I have from every time I've ever ridden it tells me nothing near 18%.

I live and ride mostly in the Peak District, UK. I know all too well what 20% gradients look and feel like to ride.

Not scientific, but that's what I'm going with.

PS. ignore the trees, they tend to get a bit bent out of shape by the breeze, especially where they've thinned out a bit just below Chalet Reynard where I believe this sectiòn is!

Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
Watching this week's RadioCorsa on the RAI:
the atmosphere has completely changed since Froome began riding again.
They are taking a hard line against him now - before they were muted.
If this hardening attitude is a reflection of the Italian cycling establishment
I guess they will exclude Froome from the Giro what ever the consequences.

http://www.raisport.rai.it/dl/raiSport/media/Radiocorsa-8ef4904f-e2d8-4a27-a525-973710c0113d.html
(geo-restriction may apply)

What did they say exactly ?

Jul 5, 2009
Visit site

rick james said:
ScienceIsCool said:
brownbobby said:
rick james said:
how dare you try and deny the made up evidence just to try and keep the agenda going

Sorry. My bad :redface:

Dude went 60% faster than one of the world's best climbers, on one of the wrold's most famous climbs. Deal.

John Swanson
On a 19 second video lol
How many seconds do you want?

StyrbjornSterki said:
Robert5091 said:
Is Froome (rhymes with "zoom") availing himself of this opportunity to secretly confirm the rumours that he is not British? Because they're holding the flag upside-down and backwards.

StyrbjornSterki said:
King Boonen said:
Actually yes, flying the Union Jack upside down is a distress signal. It's also a fairly secret one as you can only recognise it is you have been told how. Most think the flag is symmetrical or at least the same either way up, but it isn't. Obviously there's no "backwards" for a flying flag.
Except it isn't being flown, it's being statically displayed. They're holding the hoist to the right so if it were to be flown in this orientation, the pole would have to be to the right. Which puts St Patrick superior to St Andrew on the hoist side, which is upside-down. They're displaying the reverse side, not the obverse.

FWIW, I just discovered that Wikipedia sides with me on this.

...When statically displayed, the hoist is on the observer's left. To fly the flag correctly, the white of St Andrew is above the red of St Patrick in the upper hoist canton (the quarter at the top nearest to the flag-pole). This is expressed by the phrases wide white top and broad side up.
Incontrovertible and irrefutable proof that Froome (rhymes with Zoom) is a sham Brit and should have his passport seized immediately.

TRENDING THREADS