• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1147 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

TourOfSardinia said:
brownbobby:
Sky? You could probably make an argument they don't have much to lose.....Froome? 2 Potential GT results

yeah but I am talking about Sky and their credible future (not CF)
Why should Sky prefer a disruptive/tarnished GT leader
over their plentiful new rising stars of this season?
From a PR point of view MPCC is a no-brainer for Sky.

And stop the Kenalog training camps? Never!

Re: Re:

brownbobby said:
TourOfSardinia said:
brownbobby:
Sky? You could probably make an argument they don't have much to lose.....Froome? 2 Potential GT results

yeah but I am talking about Sky and their credible future (not CF)
Why should Sky prefer a disruptive/tarnished GT leader
over their plentiful new rising stars of this season?
From a PR point of view MPCC is a no-brainer for Sky.

I dunno...maybe they believe in Froome's innocence. Maybe SDB is a man of integrity ( :lol: ) and doesn't believe in hanging a man out to dry whom he believes is not guilty of any wrongdoing.

Just a thought on a direct question you posed to me for which i don't have any real answer :D :D :D

Sides aside ... great post. We need more of that clarity on here.

gillan1969 said:
brownbobby said:
gillan1969 said:
Froome's been on borrowed time since Vuelta 2011...he'll eek out career for as long as Michelle tells him....

Now this i can empathise with....i'd have curtailed my 'career' several years ago if Mrs BB (and offspring) wasn't quite so demanding

indeed :) a Monaco lifestyle does not pay for itself...... CF BTW, I'm presuming la famille BB is not on a balcony looking at the Med ;)

Another good one; you're on fire, Gillian!

Now what's your envy got to do with pro cycling ... even on a cycling banter forum? Just askin, brutha. :geek:

thehog said:
wirral said:
Another comment, this time from Poels, possibly suggesting a sanction for Froome is on the cards.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/poels-keen-to-lead-sky-if-chris-froome-is-sidelined-by-ban/

Or maybe I am reading too much into this. There seems to be a trend in the comments from Sky.

I don’t think the team knows what to do with him... or Michelle for that mattter.

Right on cue, Hog. Too bad. You're a better poster than that. But I guess ... runnin wit da pack ... is bigger med.

Alpe73 said:
thehog said:
wirral said:
Another comment, this time from Poels, possibly suggesting a sanction for Froome is on the cards.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/poels-keen-to-lead-sky-if-chris-froome-is-sidelined-by-ban/

Or maybe I am reading too much into this. There seems to be a trend in the comments from Sky.

I don’t think the team knows what to do with him... or Michelle for that mattter.

Right on cue, Hog. Too bad. You're a better poster than that. But I guess ... runnin wit da pack ... is bigger med.

Oh shut up :cool:

I think Brailsford wants Froome to just go away the he could concentrate on the pushing the next clean champion. Froome is a liability now.

thehog said:
Alpe73 said:
thehog said:
wirral said:

I think Brailsford wants Froome to just go away the he could concentrate on the pushing the next clean champion. Froome is a liability now.

You missed my point, my honorable colleague ... but not surprising. The Clinic (how many?) showing some symptoms of cabin fever, this week. Tis been a long winter of trying to bring Sky, Wiggins, Froome, Brailsford and ... Michelle ... to their knees.

Soldier on, bro; soldier on. :)

thehog said:
Alpe73 said:
thehog said:
wirral said:

Even Tour De Lance has stated that it will never be the same for Froome now regardless of his upcoming ruling. Wiggins legacy is well and truly shot. Even Shane Sutton has been taking aim. Is Brailsford the next Johan ? Different methods but similar success.

Blanco said:
Alpe73 said:
gillan1969 said:
Froome's been on borrowed time since Vuelta 2011...he'll eek out career for as long as Michelle tells him....

Nice one.Classic Clinic stuff. If ya can't knock down the rider ... try his wife. True colors shining.

You do know that his wife is basically running his whole career?

Feckin women eh?

Going round supporting their husbands. Defending their husbands. Wanting the best outcomes for their families.

Feckin women....someone needs to remind them of their place in this world

I can't believe Froome is riding as if nothing was wrong. I'm not super mad at him for cheating or getting caught (although I would have preferred he did neither), but this is just taking the piss and making the whole sport look like even more of a *** joke than it was already.

brownbobby said:
Blanco said:
Alpe73 said:
gillan1969 said:

Nice one.Classic Clinic stuff. If ya can't knock down the rider ... try his wife. True colors shining.

Feckin women eh?

Going round supporting their husbands. Defending their husbands. Wanting the best outcomes for their families.

She is his nutrionist, PR manager and personal trainer... a talented lady

Please don't make it sound like she's a normal athlete's wife. You can't deny she very prominently positions herself at the head of Froome's career. Name me one cyclist whose wife is as involved in her husband's career as she is.

LaFlorecita said:
brownbobby said:
Blanco said:
Alpe73 said:
gillan1969 said:

Feckin women eh?

She is his nutrionist, PR manager and personal trainer... a talented lady

Please don't make it sound like she's a normal athlete's wife. You can't deny she very prominently positions herself at the head of Froome's career. Name me one cyclist whose wife is as involved in her husband's career as she is.

You're right, she's not just a normal athletes wife...all that stuff she allegedly does....Sounds like an awesome wife to me :p

Seems like Froome is quite happy with his choice of wife and mother of his child too....guess that's just as important as what we think of her...

ebandit said:
spalco said:
I can't believe Froome is riding as if nothing was wrong. I'm not super mad at him for cheating or getting caught (although I would have preferred he did neither), but this is just taking the piss and making the whole sport look like even more of a **** joke than it was already.

riding as though nothing is wrong....handling the pressure like a champ...

taking the p.ss riding?.....................he's following rules put in place by powers to be

Mark L
He has been asked nicely by the powers that be to stop racing
what would you do Mark L - as a reasonable human being?

brownbobby said:
Blanco said:
Alpe73 said:
gillan1969 said:

Feckin women eh?

:confused: You followed earlier conversation?
If you did, what's the problem then?
If you didn't, well next time you do!

Blanco said:
brownbobby said:
Blanco said:
Alpe73 said:
gillan1969 said:

Feckin women eh?

:confused: You followed earlier conversation?
If you did, what's the problem then?
If you didn't, well next time you do!

I'll tell you what the problem is, purely on a personal level, you can think how you want to think for yourself...

Chris Froome is a cyclist, balance of probability says he's doping. He'll join a long list of others in this regard. He gets more stick because he's good at it. That's fine. All fair game....

Light hearted banter is one thing, I'm happy to join in with that....but then it escalates. For some there's a rabid desperation to prove that C.F. and everyone associated with him is the devil incarnate....His wife is evil, his 2 year old kid is stupid, the pets he kept as a adolescent in Africa and the way he fed them evil. Relationship with the Father who left him and his Mum to fend for themselves. Evil.

We know *** all about sports people and their families except what a carefully crafted PR machine wants us to know. Unless you really do know him personally?

So, CF the cyclist. Fair game. A bit of banter about him being under the thumb. I'm in. Beyond that...I'm out.

If that makes me a Froome apologist...I'm cool with that too. Could say I'm even proud of it.

brownbobby said:
I'll tell you what the problem is, purely on a personal level, you can think how you want to think for yourself...

Chris Froome is a cyclist, balance of probability says he's doping. He'll join a long list of others in this regard. He gets more stick because he's good at it. That's fine. All fair game....

Light hearted banter is one thing, I'm happy to join in with that....but then it escalates. For some there's a rabid desperation to prove that C.F. and everyone associated with him is the devil incarnate....His wife is evil, his 2 year old kid is stupid, the pets he kept as a adolescent in Africa and the way he fed them evil. Relationship with the Father who left him and his Mum to fend for themselves. Evil.

We know **** all about sports people and their families except what a carefully crafted PR machine wants us to know. Unless you really do know him personally?

So, CF the cyclist. Fair game. A bit of banter about him being under the thumb. I'm in. Beyond that...I'm out.

If that makes me a Froome apologist...I'm cool with that too. Could say I'm even proud of it.

completely agree

Mar 7, 2017
Visit site
Alpe73 said:
gillan1969 said:

But Michelle has put herself in the firing line, yes

Years of wading in on social media

And not forgetting Exhibit A the infamous Kimmage interview with the Dawg which Michelle insisted on joining as an active participant...

https://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/paul-kimmage-chris-froome-in-the-eye-of-the-storm-part-2-30394950.html

PK: So up until that point (the 2011 Tour of Spain) Sky would have seen you as a domestique?

MC: They knew you had an engine. [ :lol: ]

CF: I have always been aware of the weight issue, but I had always taken it for granted that when I pushed my weight I could get it to about 69 (kg) and that was a good place to be. I don’t think I necessarily thought that I could go much lower than that, and apparently I have. I’ve gone a good three kilos lower which is huge.

MC: He starved himself before the Vuelta, and then he came back to South Africa and that’s when we started dating. I’ve always had a bit of an interest in sports nutrition and my view was that he could still train on more protein and cutting back on the carbs at certain times. And also making sure he wasn’t hungry, so having more meals, more often, things like that.

CF: But smaller portions. Basically, I think I lost the weight for that 2011 Vuelta in an unhealthy way; I was starving myself trying to get the weight off and I don’t think that’s healthy or sustainable. But since I’ve been with Michelle I’ve learned to do things in a . . .

MC: It also keeps your weight more stable throughout the year, so you’re not starving yourself, and then after a Tour you want to eat everything.

MC: The first time I heard about Aicar was when someone tweeted about it during the 2012 Tour. I told Chris about it [ :lol: ]

PK: What about Leinders? I want to remind you (of your description) of ‘Omerta’ in the book: ’No matter what you have seen or what you have heard, you say nothing. If a doping story breaks, you are always surprised. You never heard anything, you never saw anything and nobody ever spoke about it.’ The one thing I find absolutely astonishing about Leinders and his association with the team is that nobody ever worked with him. He spent two *** years with the team and nobody had any dealings with him!

CF: (Laughs) I don’t know what you want to call dealings. Each rider is assigned a doctor on the team and you go to that doctor for your day-to-day problems. I wasn’t assigned Geert Leinders put it that way.

MC: You were with Usher then? Weren’t you?

CF: Ehhhh.

MC: Because when I was looking up the Bilharzia things, you emailed Usher and asked him about somewhere you could get your Bilharzia tested around this area, so . . .

CF: When I’d be on a race with Geert Leinders; I think I did Romandie with him.

MC: And you did the [2011] Vuelta with [Leinders], you went to see him with your skin condition. [ :lol: ]

PK: Richard Freeman (a Team Sky doctor) told David Walsh that your performances had tripped an alarm in his head. He looked at your (blood) profiles and there was no inconsistency. But if you’ve had a parasite attacking your red cells, surely there should be (some inconsistency). Surely that should show up?

CF: I would imagine so. I don’t know what the blood passport looks like. I’ve never looked into it.

MC: I think if there were issues at all, the UCI would have raised it. They’re not going to take it for granted that it was in the media that Chris has had Bilharzia.

CF: Logic says your red blood cells would be lower because your haematocrit is being eaten by those parasites. I’d imagine if there were any changes to my normal (profile) it would probably still be within the parameters so . . .

MC: You definitely weren’t in the advanced stages of Bilharzia.

CF: I was pretty full on.

MC: But you weren’t in the advanced stages, so it wasn’t necessarily going to be eating that much of (the red cells). But it was definitely affecting your performance. [ :lol: ]

PK: What about your ethics? You use the word ‘betrayal’ about Basso and I’m thinking ‘That’s exactly what I want to hear.’ But then I see you at Vinokourov’s retirement party and being photographed with him. So what happens to betrayal?

CF: Yeah, I mean going to Vinokourov’s thing . . . this guy is a big icon in cycling. He has a retirement party here (Monaco),and there’s going to be a lot of influential cycling people here . . .

PK: He’s a *** cheat.

CF: (Laughs) You said that.

MC: I don’t think Chris fully understood that (Vinokourov) had doped.

CF: No, I knew.

MC: Not fully. [ :lol: ]