• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1249 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
MartinGT said:
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:
The biggest threat logically should be those who haven't done the Giro. But when the Dawg crushes everyone it will be because the Giro Wasn't that hard compared to other years and because they went in with this plan.

I think the Giro was bloody hard...it's just that Froome made it look easy :D

Oh aye it was hard. No doubt about it. It's a GT. Even on 'easy' days they're still on their bikes, I.e no recovery.

But whilst the bots says the cynics are always looking for an excuse it also works the other way. There is an extra week between the giro and the tour. But is that really enough to get proper recovery? I don't think so especially considering that the Tour is even more intense than any other race. Everything is amplified.

Yes I agree, and that's why I think it will be mega suspicious if TD turns up at the Tour in any kind of form.

Of course, this also applies to Froome, but the suspicion levels there are already running at maximum capacity for most people.

brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:
The biggest threat logically should be those who haven't done the Giro. But when the Dawg crushes everyone it will be because the Giro Wasn't that hard compared to other years and because they went in with this plan.

Oh aye it was hard. No doubt about it. It's a GT. Even on 'easy' days they're still on their bikes, I.e no recovery.

But whilst the bots says the cynics are always looking for an excuse it also works the other way. There is an extra week between the giro and the tour. But is that really enough to get proper recovery? I don't think so especially considering that the Tour is even more intense than any other race. Everything is amplified.

Yes I agree, and that's why I think it will be mega suspicious if TD turns up at the Tour in any kind of form.

Of course, this also applies to Froome, but the suspicion levels there are already running at maximum capacity for most people.

Aye totally agree.

It's going to be interesting thats for sure!

@ brownbobby

"The 'reason' Sky are being questioned is much simpler...they're winning at cycling"

tghe reason Sky are being questioned is less because they are winning and more who they are winning with

First a GT no-hoper (and with the lagacy of jiffy-gate, injections and the lost laptop)
Second, just a no-hoper (that's Froome in case you wondered ;) )
Third to a degree 'G' who moved seamlessly from hammering the sidewinds in Wevelgem to dropping Quinatana in the high Alps

In order to square the circle of epo/transfusion performances with no epo/transfusion they needed a narrative...enter stage left marginal gains and SDB;s bullsh*t

that's why they are being questioned less

the emperor has no clothes but SDBs busy telling us that just because they are invisible doesn't mean they are not being worn....

gillan1969 said:
@ brownbobby

"The 'reason' Sky are being questioned is much simpler...they're winning at cycling"

tghe reason Sky are being questioned is less because they are winning and more who they are winning with

First a GT no-hoper (and with the lagacy of jiffy-gate, injections and the lost laptop)
Third to a degree 'G' who moved seamlessly from hammering the sidewinds in Wevelgem to dropping Quinatana in the high Alps

In order to square the circle of epo/transfusion performances with no epo/transfusion they needed a narrative...enter stage left marginal gains and SDB;s bullsh*t

the emperor has no clothes but SDBs busy telling us that just because they are invisible doesn't mean they are not being worn....

Fair enough, your alternative reasoning is still about winning, just a variation and expansion on the theme that I loosely agree with.

It's at least closer to the truth than the 'they only get so many questions because they're lying hypocrites' line that I responded to :cool:

MartinGT said:
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:
brownbobby said:
MartinGT said:

Aye totally agree.

It's going to be interesting thats for sure!

It is, if the Dauphine is an accurate marker I think we're going to see the strongest Team Sky yet. I hope the servers on here can cope.

I can't wait :D

gillan1969 said:
@ brownbobby

**( Not directed at you, Gillian, BTW)**

Take this all ... put it in an envelope ... and label it "SUSPICION." Fair enough ... suspicion is a motivating thought process that is utilized by doctors, policemen, husbands ... to name a few.

The process can be highly productive ... in the case of the doctor who, upon following up on your wife's symptom complaints, orders a test ... that ultimately saves your wife's life. On the other hand, the motivating process can be highly destructive ... as was the case with Othello and Desdemona.

We all have a choice on what to do with stimuli. We can ignore it, wait for more stimuli and information, have someone help us interpret it (cause we may not have a F-ing clue), act impetuously, etc, etc.

In the world of pro sports fandom .... the process is rather benign. You can slag athletes, their wives, corporations, governing bodies, achievements, etc. .... advocating your deep knowledge as a "seasoned fan" ... while rejecting, nay lambasting, the knowledge, testing, analysis of those professionals entrusted to manage the sport ... or NOT.

Furthermore, there will nothing NOTHING that can be done to appease these "know better than everyone seasoned fans". No testing, no ruling, no investigation will suffice. They will be suspicious, accusatory, ... in perpetuity. While most fans will say (to those aforementioned fans) "you could be right; let's wait and see" ... the "seasoned fan" will say ... "I KNOW I'm right ... get 'em out now." ... while postulating that certain athletes are killing the sport.

And, of course ... they have the right ... at least in a sports banter forum ... to do so.

Doping concerns or something more interstitial?

brownbobby said:
gillan1969 said:
@ brownbobby

Fair enough, your alternative reasoning is still about winning, just a variation and expansion on the theme that I loosely agree with.

It's at least closer to the truth than the 'they only get so many questions because they're lying hypocrites' line that I responded to :cool:

If it was only about 'winning at cycling', one wonders why Sagan doesn't attract the same level of questioning.

Or Quickstep.

The latter at least is every bit as dodgy as Sky, with a pretty obviously bad history + have done things in big races that are suspicious to say the least.

But journo's let it fly. Why?

1. Their classics guys don't drop pure climbers on cols.
2. They don't ceaselessly pontificate on how clean they are.

The Hegelian said:
brownbobby said:
gillan1969 said:
@ brownbobby

If it was only about 'winning at cycling', one wonders why Sagan doesn't attract the same level of questioning.

Or Quickstep.

The latter at least is every bit as dodgy as Sky, with a pretty obviously bad history + have done things in big races that are suspicious to say the least.

But journo's let it fly. Why?

1. Their classics guys don't drop pure climbers on cols.
2. They don't ceaselessly pontificate on how clean they are.

So ... may I ask you to cut to the chase, then?

Do you have any conclusions that you can substantiate, with confidence?

Suspicious with substantive confidence?

Or .... "Just don't like the lot o them ... for other reasons."?

Re: Re:

brownbobby said:
The Hegelian said:
brownbobby said:
Saint Unix said:
Alpe73 said:
So ... you’re more pissed that they reneged on promised uber transparency ... rather than being pissed at not releasing their data .... like most teams do/don’t?
Well, they've shown themselves willing to continuously lie about how transparent they are. To use a Sir Dave-ism, you don't lie on a Monday, but not on a Tuesday. Liars gonna lie. What else are they lying about?

The lack of transparency and unwillingness to hold themselves to the high standards they set as part of their mission statement back when the team was first founded is obviously very much related to this thread. They've shown their hypocrisy when it comes to transparency, just like they've shown similar when it comes to the zero tolerance policy and the no needle rule.

At a certain point all these broken promises get old, and them harping on about how they're keeping these promises despite the mountain of evidence that says the opposite gets annoying. Sky are both louder about their cleanliness than most teams and dirtier than most teams. It's the sort of hypocrisy they deserve to be called out on.

That's because the microphones are always shoved in their faces and the amp volume is turned up to max.

Just a suggestion...if you're convinced beyond any persuasion that Sky and all other teams are doping, and the denial of it offends you so much then cover your ears up, because you sure as hell ain't going to get an honest answer or a confession to the question just because a journalist asks repeatedly.

Enjoy the show or tune out. We've all got that choice at least

No, there is a prior cause.

The microphones are always shoved in their faces because - from inception - they have been conducting a PR masterclass which has been explicitly framed around 'the new clean cycling.' That message was always front and square, central to their brand, value and identity.

So, when that message unravels under the weight of actual evidence, the microphones come.....

And by actual evidence, I mean for example, the reasoning they gave for not joining the MPCC "Our ethical standards are higher," and the reality they practiced "We wanted to use TUES to pump Wiggins full of steroids to win the tdf."

Those sorts of gaps are what invites probing microphones.

I tend to disagree; the things you list are angles from which the questions can be created...an open goal of Sky's own making if you like.

The 'reason' Sky are being questioned is much simpler...they're winning at cycling.

The first team to do so since Lance, and they've been doing it consistently for 6 years now.

No matter what Sky did/didn't say (and I'm not denying how much B.S. we've heard) the constant questioning is inevitable and won't stop until they stop winning GT's.

Yes, the attempted PR drive to pre-emptively answer the questions from the teams inception has been ham fisted, but like it or not any team dominating GT racing like Sky have was always going to have those microphones constantly in their face.

Nobody's interested in the methods or lies of average losers or infrequent winners.

This, quite simply, is obscurantism.

red_flanders said:
brownbobby said:
The Hegelian said:
brownbobby said:
Saint Unix said:
Well, they've shown themselves willing to continuously lie about how transparent they are. To use a Sir Dave-ism, you don't lie on a Monday, but not on a Tuesday. Liars gonna lie. What else are they lying about?

The lack of transparency and unwillingness to hold themselves to the high standards they set as part of their mission statement back when the team was first founded is obviously very much related to this thread. They've shown their hypocrisy when it comes to transparency, just like they've shown similar when it comes to the zero tolerance policy and the no needle rule.

At a certain point all these broken promises get old, and them harping on about how they're keeping these promises despite the mountain of evidence that says the opposite gets annoying. Sky are both louder about their cleanliness than most teams and dirtier than most teams. It's the sort of hypocrisy they deserve to be called out on.

That's because the microphones are always shoved in their faces and the amp volume is turned up to max.

Just a suggestion...if you're convinced beyond any persuasion that Sky and all other teams are doping, and the denial of it offends you so much then cover your ears up, because you sure as hell ain't going to get an honest answer or a confession to the question just because a journalist asks repeatedly.

Enjoy the show or tune out. We've all got that choice at least

No, there is a prior cause.

The microphones are always shoved in their faces because - from inception - they have been conducting a PR masterclass which has been explicitly framed around 'the new clean cycling.' That message was always front and square, central to their brand, value and identity.

So, when that message unravels under the weight of actual evidence, the microphones come.....

And by actual evidence, I mean for example, the reasoning they gave for not joining the MPCC "Our ethical standards are higher," and the reality they practiced "We wanted to use TUES to pump Wiggins full of steroids to win the tdf."

Those sorts of gaps are what invites probing microphones.

I tend to disagree; the things you list are angles from which the questions can be created...an open goal of Sky's own making if you like.

The 'reason' Sky are being questioned is much simpler...they're winning at cycling.

The first team to do so since Lance, and they've been doing it consistently for 6 years now.

No matter what Sky did/didn't say (and I'm not denying how much B.S. we've heard) the constant questioning is inevitable and won't stop until they stop winning GT's.

Yes, the attempted PR drive to pre-emptively answer the questions from the teams inception has been ham fisted, but like it or not any team dominating GT racing like Sky have was always going to have those microphones constantly in their face.

Nobody's interested in the methods or lies of average losers or infrequent winners.

This, quite simply, is obscurantism.

If you're referring to BB ... that's baloney. He's got it spot on.

If you're referring to SKY ... you and I don't know if obscurantism is occurring. We can only be suspicious (if we have a hankering for it) ... and ask SKY for more information.

If they give us more information ... (speaking for you and me, only) ... we haven't got a real clue what it confirms or doesn't confirm.

This, quite simply, is obscurantism

@redflanders

Hats off sir. That is one of the most impressive pieces of wordsmithery I’ve ever heard on an internet forum

I’d love to engage further with you, but truth is, hands up I haven’t got a clue what it means. I don’t even know if you’re in agreement or disagreement with my post. I could guess but... :surprised: a

Re:

red_flanders said:
I'm sure given...the internet...you've figured it out. Not doing so or feigning otherwise simply reinforces my point.

Well of course...but I thought it only fair, in the interests of transparency to own up to my initial shortcomings, rather than use Google to pretend to be smarter than I really am :cool:

PS....Now I know what it means I plead not guilty, I stand by every word I said.

May 26, 2010
Visit site

brownbobby said:
This, quite simply, is obscurantism

@redflanders

Hats off sir. That is one of the most impressive pieces of wordsmithery I’ve ever heard on an internet forum

I’d love to engage further with you, but truth is, hands up I haven’t got a clue what it means. I don’t even know if you’re in agreement or disagreement with my post. I could guess but... :surprised: a

The truth never changes so not matter when a microphone is shoved in your face it is easy becuase the truth never changes. Did i mention the truth never changes. Sky wouldn't know, though would they...... :lol:

Mamil said:
Alpe73 said:
Let me help you a bit .... why would anyone be so gullible to believe that a multinational pro sports team was going to “share” (anything meaningful) with the fans. And rightfully so. None of your or my business, mate. If we don’t like it .... I dunno ... we could boycott all things SKY.

Almost no-one with any sense ever believed it. I certainly didn't. But they've said it, pledged it, and preached it, many times - transparency, data-sharing, 'open' processes, zero tolerance, honesty, having people come and observe, etc. etc. Data sharing is only part of the narrative that Sky have created. You can make good arguments for why it in itself is a bad idea, but then don't offer it. But of that, and all the rest, much of which was perfectly achievable had they actually wanted to do it, the pledges and statements have been honoured almost entirely in the breach.

Simple question - are you comfortable with a sporting team that so consistently and brazenly lies to and deceives the public and its fans? It's not a question of whether they should do this or that, it's what they say they'll do, and then usually don't. Does that bother you at all? Or do you see it all as just part of the 'show', a pantomime if you will?

Ooops! Sorry .... missed this until now, seriously.

First, may I suggest that your question is loaded with bias. Some of your assertions may be untrue. Anyway ...

Let me preface my response a bit. I'm an older dude ... but still deep into fitness ... still training and racing hard (road races and tri's). Great thrill to (age grouper) win/podium, but can laugh it off in a second (back to the drawing/training board) if I suck. So ... of course ...I follow the pros ... in many sports.

First, I see and respect the overlaps, if you will, of sport/entertainment/business ... athlete/entertainer/worker ... and for me, at least, my relationship is at (a long) arm's length to teams and athletes.I honestly don't have any favorites any more ... at this stage. I appreciate good performances from ANYONE! My main goal is to be entertained ... learn technique. I hold a team or its participants to no standards. Not my job. If I was truly repulsed by it all ... I'd just stop watching. To get closer ... to dig deeper ... is an "ill advised curiosity."

BTW, it is a show (no pejorative) ... enjoyed by MILLIONS of fans around the world. I tip my hat to ALL riders for the epic sports entertainment they provide.

If you want to be closer to it all ... embedded, so to speak, go for it. But that comes at a cost. (BTW, straight up question ... is this more of a "class/status/regional-political" issue rather than doping? (Emperors New Clothes 'n all?) Serious question.

Which brings up a politically incorrect topic ... probably best left for a separate thread sometime ... (My oldest son and I tossed this around yesterday.)

"Is there a geographical/historical/cultural link to sports passion and the (sometimes) deleterious effects/actions of that passion."? Roughly ... are the sports fans of some countries more emotionally engaged (to [sometimes] bad effect) than the fans of other countries?

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site

Alpe73 said:

First, may I suggest that your question is loaded with bias. Some of your assertions may be untrue. Anyway ...

Let me preface my response a bit. I'm an older dude ... but still deep into fitness ... still training and racing hard (road races and tri's). Great thrill to (age grouper) win/podium, but can laugh it off in a second (back to the drawing/training board) if I suck. So ... of course ...I follow the pros ... in many sports.

First, I see and respect the overlaps, if you will, of sport/entertainment/business ... athlete/entertainer/worker ... and for me, at least, my relationship is at (a long) arm's length to teams and athletes.I honestly don't have any favorites any more ... at this stage. I appreciate good performances from ANYONE! My main goal is to be entertained ... learn technique. I hold a team or its participants to no standards. Not my job. If I was truly repulsed by it all ... I'd just stop watching. To get closer ... to dig deeper ... is an "ill advised curiosity."

BTW, it is a show (no pejorative) ... enjoyed by MILLIONS of fans around the world. I tip my hat to ALL riders for the epic sports entertainment they provide.

If you want to be closer to it all ... embedded, so to speak, go for it. But that comes at a cost. (BTW, straight up question ... is this more of a "class/status/regional-political" issue rather than doping? (Emperors New Clothes 'n all?) Serious question.

Which brings up a politically incorrect topic ... probably best left for a separate thread sometime ... (My oldest son and I tossed this around yesterday.)

"Is there a geographical/historical/cultural link to sports passion and the (sometimes) deleterious effects/actions of that passion."? Roughly ... are the sports fans of some countries more emotionally engaged (to [sometimes] bad effect) than the fans of other countries?

It's a matter of record that Brailsford tells lies, and makes nice-sounding statements and pledges that he has zero intention of following up. I'll accept that my question was a little loaded, laying it on a bit thick if you will, but it's not biased to observe 8 years of consistent behaviour and draw pretty basic conclusions from it.

I'll start with your last question - I'm Australian. It's utterly inconceivable to me, and to most Aussies, that you can be too emotionally engaged and vested in sport. It's a way of life, it's how we're brought up here. To be passionate, to be critically engaged in and observant of sport, is just how we are. But there are limits, even here. We (mostly) don't do violence or tribes - fans from different clubs can go to games together, sit together, watch in the same pub, etc. It's support, not personal. And like all countries we're biased in our support of our own athletes, but we try, sometimes unsuccessfully, not to be blind about it - we generally respect good performances by others, and fair competition, even if it comes from the English, and some of us at least know we have been no angels when it comes to doping either. That 'critical engagement' is important. For example a lot of the Australian cricket team's conduct and attitude in the last 20 years has disgusted me. I still support them, but that support is qualified. I'm also 99% sure, to give one example, that the Aussie swimming teams of the 1990s were doping, quite a lot (as an aside, that's why informed Aussies found it so funny when Sky employed Kerrison as a 'clean' coach, which is absurd).

Across the board, there are obvious downsides to over nationalistic, naive following of sport, some of which I've already mentioned. But I don't think you can say any one country or region is more prone to it than others. There are realistic and 'hardcore' fans in all countries. Some probably have more problems with violence and racism than others, but that's a different issue.

On the class/status/region question, personally it's the doping, and the narratives and behaviours around it, that bothers me, simple as. For me, the Aus/Eng rivalry and the status of Sky as the richest, most prominent, influential team, don't come into it. I don't care where they're from (although I find Sky/BC's cute little 'Brits do it right' story mildly amusing/xenophobic) or how many resources they have relative to the opposition. Sky came into a sport struggling with the emerging fall-out of the last team to dominate the field and construct a grandiose, nonsense narrative around their activities, and then went and did exactly the same thing, just a slightly different way. The sport had finally got to a point where it might just begin to take some little steps in the right direction re the attitude towards and use of doping, and then Sky came in and turned the amps up to 11 again, all while pledging the complete opposite as the new 'white knights' of the sport. I find that behaviour reprehensible. Don't get me wrong, if Sky had never existed we would still have doping in the sport now - someone else may have taken their place, and even failing that, there would still a long road to a truly clean(ish) sport. But any hope of even a few steps down that path, outside of the bio-passport and slightly better testing, was ruined by Sky. Other teams are complicit and maybe even cowardly for too often just going along with it, but Sky have lead the way. There's no point saying, well someone would have done it, because that doesn't change the fact that Sky didn't have to - they chose to. They have maintained the reality in the sport, both for the current generation and the next, that doping is necessary to succeed. Every team bears responsibility for this, but Sky most of all.

And they have done it while creating a narrative and making statements that are simply insulting, that either take advantage of people's ignorance, assume them to be stupid, or smacks the informed fan in the face with their ridiculousness or implausibility. Sky have had zero interest in engaging honestly with the long-term, informed fans of the sport, the ones who have stuck with it through thick and think. Zero. It's all hollow garbage and calculated PR, nothing more. It's a dreadful shame, compounded by their incredibly smugness and 'who, me?' attitude whenever they get called out on it. Other teams - Astana, Movistar - aren't much better in saying nothing at all really, but even that is slightly preferable to straight lies and bright lights.

I can well appreciate the sport/entertainment/business dynamic. Almost all pro sports are now so far from pure, fair competition that it's impossible, and unrealistic, to ever expect them to return to simpler times. In cycling the competition is a construct, within certain parameters, with certain inbuilt inequalities and commercial realities. It is made to entertain, to be marketable, to make money and to keep sponsors happy. Doping is one of the parameters - there must be efforts to combat it, it must be seen to be punished, but its tacitly accepted as part of the fabric, as almost necessary, so it can't be fought too hard. To expect too much in the way of ethics or 'fair play' within this construct is to be continually disappointed.

And yet...I do still expect something, to a point. There are still standards that I measure by, still certain types of conduct within the sport that I consider to be right and wrong, still actions that shape what I think of certain athletes, teams and officials, still a desire to understand what it is I am actually watching, beyond simply what is happening on the road. I can't watch it and just take and enjoy it for what it is - it's just not me. If people choose to view it that way that's fine, but it's not for me. I work in an industry where ethics are everything, where to ignore or lose them is catastrophic. Perhaps that colours how I view other things too, including sport. So the character and actions of each athlete are relevant to how I view and follow cycling. Yes, I want to be entertained to, to marvel at the exceptional performances, to sometimes chuckle a little at the absurd, other-worldly ones, but I need more than that. I want to see fair-ish fights, good characters, honourable conduct, people I feel I can respect and who go about things in a decent way. I want to know how it all works, to be informed. I accept that what I'm seeing is at least partly artificial, and that it will usually involve doping and is therefore tainted right from the start, but I still care about the integrity, allowing for those drawbacks, of what I am seeing. It's not about hating on anybody, frothing at the mouth at the 'bad guys' - it's not worth that, nor are we in the realms of any truly reprehensible, meaningful conduct. It's just about critical, 'eyes-open' viewing.

Mamil said:
Alpe73 said:

It's a matter of record that Brailsford tells lies, and makes nice-sounding statements and pledges that he has zero intention of following up. I'll accept that my question was a little loaded, laying it on a bit thick if you will, but it's not biased to observe 8 years of consistent behaviour and draw pretty basic conclusions from it.

I'll start with your last question - I'm Australian. It's utterly inconceivable to me, and to most Aussies, that you can be too emotionally engaged and vested in sport. It's a way of life, it's how we're brought up here. To be passionate, to be critically engaged in and observant of sport, is just how we are. But there are limits, even here. We (mostly) don't do violence or tribes - fans from different clubs can go to games together, sit together, watch in the same pub, etc. It's support, not personal. And like all countries we're biased in our support of our own athletes, but we try, sometimes unsuccessfully, not to be blind about it - we generally respect good performances by others, and fair competition, even if it comes from the English, and some of us at least know we have been no angels when it comes to doping either. That 'critical engagement' is important. For example a lot of the Australian cricket team's conduct and attitude in the last 20 years has disgusted me. I still support them, but that support is qualified. I'm also 99% sure, to give one example, that the Aussie swimming teams of the 1990s were doping, quite a lot (as an aside, that's why informed Aussies found it so funny when Sky employed Kerrison as a 'clean' coach, which is absurd).

Across the board, there are obvious downsides to over nationalistic, naive following of sport, some of which I've already mentioned. But I don't think you can say any one country or region is more prone to it than others. There are realistic and 'hardcore' fans in all countries. Some probably have more problems with violence and racism than others, but that's a different issue.

On the class/status/region question, personally it's the doping, and the narratives and behaviours around it, that bothers me, simple as. For me, the Aus/Eng rivalry and the status of Sky as the richest, most prominent, influential team, don't come into it. I don't care where they're from (although I find Sky/BC's cute little 'Brits do it right' story mildly amusing/xenophobic) or how many resources they have relative to the opposition. Sky came into a sport struggling with the emerging fall-out of the last team to dominate the field and construct a grandiose, nonsense narrative around their activities, and then went and did exactly the same thing, just a slightly different way. The sport had finally got to a point where it might just begin to take some little steps in the right direction re the attitude towards and use of doping, and then Sky came in and turned the amps up to 11 again, all while pledging the complete opposite as the new 'white knights' of the sport. I find that behaviour reprehensible. Don't get me wrong, if Sky had never existed we would still have doping in the sport now - someone else may have taken their place, and even failing that, there would still a long road to a truly clean(ish) sport. But any hope of even a few steps down that path, outside of the bio-passport and slightly better testing, was ruined by Sky. Other teams are complicit and maybe even cowardly for too often just going along with it, but Sky have lead the way. There's no point saying, well someone would have done it, because that doesn't change the fact that Sky didn't have to - they chose to. They have maintained the reality in the sport, both for the current generation and the next, that doping is necessary to succeed. Every team bears responsibility for this, but Sky most of all.

And they have done it while creating a narrative and making statements that are simply insulting, that either take advantage of people's ignorance, assume them to be stupid, or smacks the informed fan in the face with their ridiculousness or implausibility. Sky have had zero interest in engaging honestly with the long-term, informed fans of the sport, the ones who have stuck with it through thick and think. Zero. It's all hollow garbage and calculated PR, nothing more. It's a dreadful shame, compounded by their incredibly smugness and 'who, me?' attitude whenever they get called out on it. Other teams - Astana, Movistar - aren't much better in saying nothing at all really, but even that is slightly preferable to straight lies and bright lights.

I can well appreciate the sport/entertainment/business dynamic. Almost all pro sports are now so far from pure, fair competition that it's impossible, and unrealistic, to ever expect them to return to simpler times. In cycling the competition is a construct, within certain parameters, with certain inbuilt inequalities and commercial realities. It is made to entertain, to be marketable, to make money and to keep sponsors happy. Doping is one of the parameters - there must be efforts to combat it, it must be seen to be punished, but its tacitly accepted as part of the fabric, as almost necessary, so it can't be fought too hard. To expect too much in the way of ethics or 'fair play' within this construct is to be continually disappointed.

And yet...I do still expect something, to a point. There are still standards that I measure by, still certain types of conduct within the sport that I consider to be right and wrong, still actions that shape what I think of certain athletes, teams and officials, still a desire to understand what it is I am actually watching, beyond simply what is happening on the road. I can't watch it and just take and enjoy it for what it is - it's just not me. If people choose to view it that way that's fine, but it's not for me. I work in an industry where ethics are everything, where to ignore or lose them is catastrophic. Perhaps that colours how I view other things too, including sport. So the character and actions of each athlete are relevant to how I view and follow cycling. Yes, I want to be entertained to, to marvel at the exceptional performances, to sometimes chuckle a little at the absurd, other-worldly ones, but I need more than that. I want to see fair-ish fights, good characters, honourable conduct, people I feel I can respect and who go about things in a decent way. I want to know how it all works, to be informed. I accept that what I'm seeing is at least partly artificial, and that it will usually involve doping and is therefore tainted right from the start, but I still care about the integrity, allowing for those drawbacks, of what I am seeing. It's not about hating on anybody, frothing at the mouth at the 'bad guys' - it's not worth that, nor are we in the realms of any truly reprehensible, meaningful conduct. It's just about critical, 'eyes-open' viewing.

Long and the short of it ... different types of sports fans. In the heat of the game or the climb ... I'm as passionate,loyal, patriotic as anyone ..of any nation. I follow results, stats, trades etc. But what management says, does, does not do ... I usually have very little interest. There's nothing wrong with that type of deep interest if you enjoy it ... but IF ... because of it you incessantly slag athletes, call managers liars, slag wives, accuse riders of being "worse than the EPO boys", accusing riders of using motors ... and sometimes make some really really nasty mean crude remarks ... for what???? Is it a sense of entitlement? The entitlement of a "seasoned fan." Is there not a similar type of hubris in that ... that was so repulsive when exhibited by certain athletes.

Let me repeat ... if Froome got a life ban tomorrow ... I wouldn't bat an eye. There are authorities in charge to take care of whatever fate awaits him ... from a lifetime ban ... to another GT win! Whatever they decide is good enough for me. Trying to pre-empt that with ... donkey to racehorse, snakes and pets, Giro disrepute, he's faltered!!!(1st week of Giro), he's slapping his victory in our face, Tour disrepute, unethical ... did I say snakes and pets? ... IMHO ... some people may be displaying signs of old fashioned poor sportsmanship, don't you think.

Anyway ... glad that we could chat, Mamil, after a shaky start. In the long run, it's just banter. We shouldn't take it too seriously. Enjoy your evening/night.

Jan 11, 2018
Visit site

Alpe73 said:
Anyway ... glad that we could chat, Mamil, after a shaky start. In the long run, it's just banter. We shouldn't take it too seriously. Enjoy your evening/night.

Me too. Sorry, but a lot of your past posts appeared, rightly or wrongly, to largely be aimed at niggling other posters, and that wasn't something I wanted to get into. I think I can see more now and respect where you're coming from, but it does still come across a little...harsh...at times. But no matter, on the boards it is indeed all just play, and nice to hear some more of your own perspectives.

Personally I have no interest in all the 'fringe' stuff re Sky or anyone else, be it overly personal, critical or conspiratorial. Froome seems pleasant enough, Wiggo's an interesting if slightly odd cat. Brailsford alone of that bunch I have utter contempt for (there's something about charlatans like him that rub me the wrong way) but I'm not going to rant or lose sleep over him - he's the one who has to live with who he is and what he's done. I will say again that calling him a liar, in the sense of someone who does it to the point where it becomes a trait - is neither particularly personal or a supposition - it's just a statement of fact. I think people do have the right to take umbrage with and critically examine how athletes and managers go about things, as long as stays based on their professional activities and within reason. But beyond that in the end it is just sport, after all, and I bear no malice or ill will. There are much bigger and more important things in the world.

My interest in this particular topic is simply that I don't like or agree with a lot about how Sky have gone about things on a professional level and they've done and said plenty in the realms of performance enhancement, both legal and otherwise, that is worthy of discussion, and Froome himself, while I regret the fact that doping can contribute to the creation of a rider who is so superior, I don't blame him for it. More than anything it intrigues me how such an anomaly came to be, aside from all the hard work he obviously puts in.

The last thing I'll note is you mentioned motors - I don't for one second believe that any rider is currently using them, nor that anyone can just bolt one on for a particular stage or whatever. People say some bizarre things about them. But it is almost certain that Cancellara used one in 2010, at least, which means that they were used in the pro peloton at some point. So it's not completely pie in the sky stuff. There's a story there that may never be told, probably because if it was it would be devastating, 10 times worse than any doping scandal. But it has a place and I don't think cycling in 2018 is it.

I went back and read through part of Kimmage’s interview with Froome. He says that Dr. Mantovani at Barloworld offered to send him the results of power tests that he performed there:

Chris, I can send you the data from the tests that we did. You were pushing pretty much the same watts.’ Or within maybe five per cent of the watts people are claiming I’m pushing now. But at that time I was 72 kilos or something. He said, ‘If you’re at 66 (kg) like you say you are, and pushing the same watts, then its normal that you are going this fast.’

So why didn’t he furnish that along with the results of Swart’s tests? In any case, Mantovani’s statement about watts agrees with that FAX that Froome came up with for comparison with Swart’s tests. So I’m inclined to believe that most of Froome’s transformation did not result from power gain. This raises the question of why his time trialing also improved so much—as documented by ScienceisCool—and why Sky didn’t realize that Froome had such a large engine. But let’s put all that aside and consider his weight.

The quote above suggests he lost about 8.5% of his weight. If he could do that without any loss of power, it would certainly explain a lot of the transformation, at least for climbing. But in another place in the interview, Froome says he was 70-71 kg at Barloworld, and 69 kg initially at Sky.
I had always raced on Barloworld at about 70/71 (kgs) and I think I got down to about 69 in my first year at Sky.
He also claims he further reduced his weight to 66 kg, before the 2011 Vuelta:
I have always been aware of the weight issue, but I had always taken it for granted that when I pushed my weight I could get it to about 69 (kg) and that was a good place to be. I don’t think I necessarily thought that I could go much lower than that, and apparently I have. I’ve gone a good three kilos lower which is huge…Basically, I think I lost the weight for that 2011 Vuelta in an unhealthy way; I was starving myself trying to get the weight off and I don’t think that’s healthy or sustainable. But since I’ve been with Michelle I’ve learned to do things in a [healthier and sustainable manner].
Grappe, on the other hand, reported that Froome’s weight was 68 kg, and stable at that value from 2011-2013. I’m inclined to believe this value rather than the 66 kg. Froome already contradicted himself about his Barloworld weight, and maybe he was wrong about his Sky weight as well, either because he really wasn’t that sure, or because he was trying to account for the transformation. In any case, 68 kg. would represent a 3-4% decrease from Barloworld, which seems more believable, though it still raises questions—not only the ones mentioned above, but how the transformation occurred. Grappe’s report implies that Froome didn’t lose any weight just prior to the 2011 Vuelta, or 1 kg at most (unless Froome's claimed pre-Vuelta starvation occurred during a short period in which Grappe did not have his weight records; but Froome/Cound claimed he continued to maintain that weight for GTs the following two years, which would imply that Grappe had no records for those periods of time either). Assuming he didn’t gain any power, his power/weight would hardly be any greater during the 2011 Vuelta than it was during his preceding time at Sky.

So what are we left with? One possibility is that all the lab tests of power are correct, but they were done clean, whereas he races with enhancement. (Grappe's report was taken from Froome's power files during races, but by his own admission, these values aren't precise enough, and don't contain other key parameters, to say for certain that they match the results of lab tests). That still doesn't answer the question about how someone with such a naturally large engine was undiscovered, but if Sky paid more attention to performance on the road, which until the Vuelta 2011 was uninspiring, they might not have cared what his lab numbers were even if they were aware of them. Froome wouldn't be the first rider who looked great in the lab, but disappointed in races.

There may be other explanations--and people are welcome to propose them--but I don't buy the schisto story. He's presented the effect as resulting in inconsistent riding, but in fact, prior to the Vuelta, he never performed on a single stage the way he performed throughout that GT. Also, he had another treatment a couple of months after that Vuelta, so by his own account, the disease had not been permanently eradicated during that race. There is nothing in the timeline by his own account that explains how he couldn't put together a single extraordinary stage until the Vuelta, then was suddenly the best rider in the world for three weeks.

For many of us, Froome skeptics or supporters, the question has always been, how could he get that much better in such a short period of time, even with doping? But if he had a naturally large engine, which I'm inclined to accept (though I'd like to see Mantovani's files), maybe the increase was not as great as it appeared it had to be. Froome supporters have thrown out factors like, never got to go all out as a domestique, didn't know how to ride well tactically, lacked confidence/consistency. OK, take those and run with them. I don't think they come close to explaining the transformation by themselves, but a large engine + addressing these factors + some well known enhancement procedures might get us a lot further. YMMV.

Re:

Merckx index said:
I went back and read through part of Kimmage’s interview with Froome. He says that Dr. Mantovani at Barloworld offered to send him the results of power tests that he performed there:

Chris, I can send you the data from the tests that we did. You were pushing pretty much the same watts.’ Or within maybe five per cent of the watts people are claiming I’m pushing now. But at that time I was 72 kilos or something. He said, ‘If you’re at 66 (kg) like you say you are, and pushing the same watts, then its normal that you are going this fast.’

So why didn’t he furnish that along with the results of Swart’s tests? In any case, Mantovani’s statement about watts agrees with that FAX that Froome came up with for comparison with Swart’s tests. So I’m inclined to believe that most of Froome’s transformation did not result from power gain. This raises the question of why his time trialing also improved so much—as documented by ScienceisCool—and why Sky didn’t realize that Froome had such a large engine. But let’s put all that aside and consider his weight.

The quote above suggests he lost about 8.5% of his weight. If he could do that without any loss of power, it would certainly explain a lot of the transformation, at least for climbing. But in another place in the interview, Froome says he was 70-71 kg at Barloworld, and 69 kg initially at Sky.
I had always raced on Barloworld at about 70/71 (kgs) and I think I got down to about 69 in my first year at Sky.
I have always been aware of the weight issue, but I had always taken it for granted that when I pushed my weight I could get it to about 69 (kg) and that was a good place to be. I don’t think I necessarily thought that I could go much lower than that, and apparently I have. I’ve gone a good three kilos lower which is huge…Basically, I think I lost the weight for that 2011 Vuelta in an unhealthy way; I was starving myself trying to get the weight off and I don’t think that’s healthy or sustainable. But since I’ve been with Michelle I’ve learned to do things in a [healthier and sustainable manner].
Grappe, on the other hand, reported that Froome’s weight was 68 kg, and stable at that value from 2011-2013. I’m inclined to believe this value rather than the 66 kg. Froome already contradicted himself about his Barloworld weight, and maybe he was wrong about his Sky weight as well, either because he really wasn’t that sure, or because he was trying to account for the transformation. In any case, 68 kg. would represent a 3-4% decrease from Barloworld, which seems more believable, though it still raises questions—not only the ones mentioned above, but how the transformation occurred. Grappe’s report implies that Froome didn’t lose any weight just prior to the 2011 Vuelta, or 1 kg at most (unless Froome's claimed pre-Vuelta starvation occurred during a short period in which Grappe did not have his weight records; but Froome/Cound claimed he continued to maintain that weight for GTs the following two years, which would imply that Grappe had no records for those periods of time either). Assuming he didn’t gain any power, his power/weight would hardly be any greater during the 2011 Vuelta than it was during his preceding time at Sky.

So what are we left with? One possibility is that all the lab tests of power are correct, but they were done clean, whereas he races with enhancement. (Grappe's report was taken from Froome's power files during races, but by his own admission, these values aren't precise enough, and don't contain other key parameters, to say for certain that they match the results of lab tests). That still doesn't answer the question about how someone with such a naturally large engine was undiscovered, but if Sky paid more attention to performance on the road, which until the Vuelta 2011 was uninspiring, they might not have cared what his lab numbers were even if they were aware of them. Froome wouldn't be the first rider who looked great in the lab, but disappointed in races.

There may be other explanations--and people are welcome to propose them--but I don't buy the schisto story. He's presented the effect as resulting in inconsistent riding, but in fact, prior to the Vuelta, he never performed on a single stage the way he performed throughout that GT. Also, he had another treatment a couple of months after that Vuelta, so by his own account, the disease had not been permanently eradicated during that race. There is nothing in the timeline by his own account that explains how he couldn't put together a single extraordinary stage until the Vuelta, then was suddenly the best rider in the world for three weeks.

For many of us, Froome skeptics or supporters, the question has always been, how could he get that much better in such a short period of time, even with doping? But if he had a naturally large engine, which I'm inclined to accept (though I'd like to see Mantovani's files), maybe the increase was not as great as it appeared it had to be. Froome supporters have thrown out factors like, never got to go all out as a domestique, didn't know how to ride well tactically, lacked confidence/consistency. OK, take those and run with them. I don't think they come close to explaining the transformation by themselves, but a large engine + addressing these factors + some well known enhancement procedures might get us a lot further. YMMV.
This is a great post - and I think cuts to the heart of the matter with Froome. It's nearly all about weight loss. He transformed from being fat for a GC specialist, to being one of the skinniest riders we've ever seen. And he somehow managed to do so very quickly and while losing minimal power - which raises some huge red flags, but at the same time doesn't suggest he's doing something unique or amazing doping wise. I would guess the chances are he's just a super-responder to a reasonably common fat-loss cocktail.

One thing about weights though - I think trying to guess an exact weight is impossible, because there is always going to be variability of 1-2kg throughout something like a GT or during heavy training. A combination of things like dehydration, muscle glycogen levels, constipation, elevated cortisol (water retention) can easily change the weight by 1kg or so day to day. So both Froome (66kg) and Grappe (68kg) may be correct, if one is taking the lowest number seen on the scales, and the other the average.

DFA123 said:
Merckx index said:

This is a great post - and I think cuts to the heart of the matter with Froome. It's nearly all about weight loss. He transformed from being fat for a GC specialist, to being one of the skinniest riders we've ever seen. And he somehow managed to do so very quickly and while losing minimal power - which raises some huge red flags, but at the same time doesn't suggest he's doing something unique or amazing doping wise. I would guess the chances are he's just a super-responder to a reasonably common fat-loss cocktail.

One thing about weights though - I think trying to guess an exact weight is impossible, because there is always going to be variability of 1-2kg throughout something like a GT or during heavy training. A combination of things like dehydration, muscle glycogen levels, constipation, elevated cortisol (water retention) can easily change the weight by 1kg or so day to day. So both Froome (66kg) and Grappe (68kg) may be correct, if one is taking the lowest number seen on the scales, and the other the average.

Was it that overnight? He's lost 4-5kg from joining team September 2009 and La Vuelta September 2011, so 2 years and two off seasons to do it in. End of 2010 he was not showing much form, but then he was not leader, Wiggins was, so the way Sky use domestiques it wouldn't have been allowed anyway. I don't actually think 2011 Vuetla is the race to look at to prove transformation anyway. His only race in 2010 he could actually race for himself was National TT Championships and he was 2nd to Bradley Wiggins and Geraint Thomas in 3rd so was already in progress end of 2010. That is where his engine is first identified by Sky without being distorted by the duty of being a domestique.

2010 National TT Championships was where you first saw Wiggins, Froome & Thomas as you see them today in my opinion, not La Vuelta so much. Froome's weight loss and form over first 12 months at Sky got him 2nd behind Wiggins already and another 12 months of weight loss he was transformed into La Vuelta rider we see today, just a little heavier perhaps? However you look at it, it took two years, but identifiable progress at National TT Froome clearly already had the engine in 2010 similar to Wiggins & Thomas.