• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1259 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Re:

red_flanders said:
ontheroad said:
Yes, Hinault is a complete hypocrite calling for a strike. He states that the peloton are 'too nice' in not calling Froome out. That's just a joke, it's just omerta pure and simple.

Hinault has no right to take a moral stance in this case and I think he is simply more worried about his own achievement of winning 5 tours being threatened.

Give me a break. He's simply calling out BS as he always has done. The same nonsense was said about LeMond when Armstrong was going for 4, that it was about his legacy. Turns out LeMond was right about everything. As is Hinault.

His "doping" violation was not to show for a doping control at a post Tour exhibition race. He could have not cared, been full of blow or amphetamines or some mild substance. He gets that Sky and Froome are running the full program and are making a mockery of the sport.

He gets the difference. Not sure why others don't. You want to side with Froome over Hinault? Good luck with that.

Where was Hinault when Banesto were making a mockery of the sport with fat ass Indurain destroying everyone on mountains?

Where was Hinault when Armstrong was making a mockery of the sport?

Hinault doesn't like the way Froome looks on a bike. Simple.

Hinault enabled all this for years standing on a podium with all these riders making a mockery of the sport. Hinault and Froome 2 sides of the same coin.

Benotti69 said:
Poursuivant said:
Hinault’s lack of understanding, lack of irony, and pure hypocrisy makes me cringe.

Hinault is someone i never cared for. It is laughable him calling for a strike.

If I had the ability to do so, I'd post a picture of Hinault punching a striker in the face. I'd make it my avatar photo (or whatever the hell it's called. Have I told you I know nothing about the internet?)

Reason I came here to chime in is I distinctly remember Hinault doing his best to distance himself from the Pharmstrong saga. "It's not my problem" is a phrase that immediately comes to mind.

I'm genuinely curious to know what made him an anti-doping crusader.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site

red_flanders said:
ontheroad said:
Yes, Hinault is a complete hypocrite calling for a strike. He states that the peloton are 'too nice' in not calling Froome out. That's just a joke, it's just omerta pure and simple.

Hinault has no right to take a moral stance in this case and I think he is simply more worried about his own achievement of winning 5 tours being threatened.

Give me a break. He's simply calling out BS as he always has done. The same nonsense was said about LeMond when Armstrong was going for 4, that it was about his legacy. Turns out LeMond was right about everything. As is Hinault.

His "doping" violation was not to show for a doping control at a post Tour exhibition race. He could have not cared, been full of blow or amphetamines or some mild substance. He gets that Sky and Froome are running the full program and are making a mockery of the sport.

He gets the difference. Not sure why others don't. You want to side with Froome over Hinault? Good luck with that.

Boom.. thank you.

Benotti69 said:
hfer07 said:
Hinault has a point:

Riders with similar cases have been sanctioned, but "Teflon Froome & SKY" are the exemption. Should the peloton protest? YES, they Should in their own right - but Will they? Probably not, because OMERTA still exist among the riders.

Not going to happen, a strike, riders will be told it will scare away potential sponsors. Most riders probably want to ride for Sky so not going to happen. No riders came forward, it would appear, as witness to Moscon causing a crash!
Several riders witnessed for and against Moscon.

the delgados said:
Benotti69 said:
Poursuivant said:
Hinault’s lack of understanding, lack of irony, and pure hypocrisy makes me cringe.

If I had the ability to do so, I'd post a picture of Hinault punching a striker in the face. I'd make it my avatar photo (or whatever the hell it's called. Have I told you I know nothing about the internet?)

Reason I came here to chime in is I distinctly remember Hinault doing his best to distance himself from the Pharmstrong saga. "It's not my problem" is a phrase that immediately comes to mind.

I think he rather doesn't like Froome. Hard to blame him for that.

Benotti69 said:
hfer07 said:
Hinault has a point:

Riders with similar cases have been sanctioned, but "Teflon Froome & SKY" are the exemption. Should the peloton protest? YES, they Should in their own right - but Will they? Probably not, because OMERTA still exist among the riders.

Not going to happen, a strike, riders will be told it will scare away potential sponsors. Most riders probably want to ride for Sky so not going to happen. No riders came forward, it would appear, as witness to Moscon causing a crash!
How do you know what riders will be told? And who is saying it? Pretty sure she me FDJ riders came forward in the. Moscon case.... it’s amazing him much lies someone can post

May 26, 2010
Visit site

the delgados said:
Benotti69 said:
Poursuivant said:

Hinault is not anti doping. He is anti stick insect winning his 5th TdF. Simple.

Benotti69 said:
the delgados said:
Benotti69 said:
Poursuivant said:

Hinault is not anti doping. He is anti stick insect winning his 5th TdF. Simple.

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but why brush aside Lance and come down on the Vroomster?
I know Froome looks horrible on a bike, but there must be something more than aesthetics behind the turnaround.

red_flanders said:
ontheroad said:

Simply ... embarrassing.

Another old dude beset with behavioral rigidity. Desperately trying to hold on to the fading romance of ‘legacy.’

He could have been classy ... taken it in stride ... the inevitable handing over to the new guy. But no ... pride and hubris and a sleazy smokescreen.

Now ... he’ll be pushed aside. People will turn their heads and mouthe ... “awkward.”

There is a season.

the delgados said:
Benotti69 said:
Poursuivant said:

I don't know either. But maybe he is fed up with it.
From my point of view I saw the Armstrong saga as very destructive for Cycling. But repeating it?? I was very upset. So maybe the same happened to Hinault. Just guessing.

Re:

ontheroad said:

I agree with you about the motor use in your post above. We don't know the extent of it.

But please tell me, why is it omerta? (not challenging you, just that I thought it was all the contrary)

And IMHO he has the right to say anything he wants to. It is not illegal. He probably is too late to speak about this topic, but he can say whatever he wants to. In fact I prefer him talking like this than being quiet.

StyrbjornSterki said:
Benotti69 said:
Cycling has no credibility....
That statement made me laugh aloud because it suddenly struck me the similarity to professional wrestling. Both have positively huge fan bases but none save the most fevered of the tifosi harbour the delusion that it's "real."

Which pretty much sums up pro roadracing in the post-blood vector doping era: sports entertainment on two wheels.

Wrestling? Yep, also UFOs and aliens ... "I want to belive" ! :D

the delgados said:
Benotti69 said:
the delgados said:
Benotti69 said:
Poursuivant said:

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, but why brush aside Lance and come down on the Vroomster?
I know Froome looks horrible on a bike, but there must be something more than aesthetics behind the turnaround.

It's personal, it's motors, Hinault knows everything, and he doesn't like it!

Escarabajo said:
ontheroad said:

I agree with you about the motor use in your post above. We don't know the extent of it.

But please tell me, why is it omerta? (not challenging you, just that I thought it was all the contrary)

And IMHO he has the right to say anything he wants to. It is not illegal. He probably is too late to speak about this topic, but he can say whatever he wants to. In fact I prefer him talking like this than being quiet.

Apart from Tony Martin, Bardet and some initial comments from Dumoulin and Nibali (both of those later watered down their original comments) the rest of the peloton have either said nothing or uttered banalaties such as 'it is what it is' or 'we trust in the process'.

If you're a genuinely clean athlete with nothing to hide then it is extremely curious as to why this silence has prevailed, I thought it would be fairly easy to join the dots. It has rarely ever been any different.

TourOfSardinia said:
thehog said:
1500 pages?

Just as long as Froome’s salbutamol submission to the UCI :cool:
Here's some context of the discreditable “smoke and mirror” tactics of defence lawyers
in the UK courts - including the 2016 drink drive trial of the rugby player Danny Cipriani
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/jun/18/smoke-and-mirror-tactics-of-drink-drive-defence-teams-criticised
This school of lawyers knows how to spin........................it...........................out so the other side get sacred that they'll miss a major point in all the minor detail.

Tony Martin was one of the few riders in the peloton who spoke out on the Froome case:

I’m totally angry. In the case of Christopher Froome, it is definitely a double standard. Other athletes are immediately suspended after a positive test. He and his team were given time by the UCI to explain themselves. I do not know of any similar cases in the recent past. This is a scandal, and he should at least not have been allowed to appear in the World Championships.

“For me and the public there is immediately the impression that there are agreements going on behind the scenes, agreements are being made and ways are being sought as to how to get out of this case. Do he and his team enjoy a special status?

“These actions lead to the serious anti-doping struggle that I and riders like Marcel Kittel are leading. We need a consistent and transparent approach by the UCI. What is going on here is inconsistent, not transparent, unprofessional and unfair.”

Compare this with the wishy washy language of practically the entire pelotonand then you question why it is omerta at play?

Re:

ontheroad said:
Tony Martin was one of the few riders in the peloton who spoke out on the Froome case:

I’m totally angry. In the case of Christopher Froome, it is definitely a double standard. Other athletes are immediately suspended after a positive test. He and his team were given time by the UCI to explain themselves. I do not know of any similar cases in the recent past. This is a scandal, and he should at least not have been allowed to appear in the World Championships.

“For me and the public there is immediately the impression that there are agreements going on behind the scenes, agreements are being made and ways are being sought as to how to get out of this case. Do he and his team enjoy a special status?

“These actions lead to the serious anti-doping struggle that I and riders like Marcel Kittel are leading. We need a consistent and transparent approach by the UCI. What is going on here is inconsistent, not transparent, unprofessional and unfair.”

Compare this with the wishy washy language of practically the entire pelotonand then you question why it is omerta at play?

Tony has the right to an opinion. Matters little ... but fair enough.

Next

TRENDING THREADS