• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1358 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Perhaps. From reports Froome actually lost more blood than did LeMond. I think care was available to Froome far sooner than LeMond. Both suffered major injuries.

Clearly your point about time to care is valid, again pointing to a far more serious and life-threatening injury to LeMond. I'll add that I’m extremely skeptical that anyone here knows how much blood Lemond, or frankly Froome, lost.

I'll happily say again that the trauma from a shotgun blast, a blast which left buckshot in his vital organs including his heart, is an order of magnitude more trauma than Froome's serious, albeit manageable injuries.

I'm hoping Froome makes a full recovery. I just do not believe he will ever be as dominating mostly because of two reasons. 1. He was hurt in a bike crash. Don't expect caution to be thrown to the wind while descending ever again. 2. His age. Froome's injuries happened when he was 34, not 26 (as with LeMond).

I wish him well and hope he recovers completely for the sake of his health and his family. Not sure why he wouldn't. He sounds optimistic, but yeah, age is a factor here, which may be as much a thing as his injuries. I hope so. As a fan of some tremendous racing and fantastic races this year, I would have hoped he'd have just tipped his cap and called it a career.

But do we have any 'proof' that Lemond was actually shot...or if he was that it was as serious as reported :D

Well played, sir! :D

I wish him well and hope he recovers completely for the sake of his health and his family. Not sure why he wouldn't. He sounds optimistic, but yeah, age is a factor here, which may be as much a thing as his injuries. I hope so. As a fan of some tremendous racing and fantastic races this year, I would have hoped he'd have just tipped his cap and called it a career

Agreed. There's something about champions wanting to go out on their own terms. Sometimes they are able to do it, sometimes they aren't. I'll go ahead and say he will have a difficult time of it.

Clearly your point about time to care is valid, again pointing to a far more serious and life-threatening injury to LeMond. I'll add that I’m extremely skeptical that anyone here knows how much blood Lemond, or frankly Froome, lost.

I'll happily say again that the trauma from a shotgun blast, a blast which left buckshot in his vital organs including his heart, is an order of magnitude more trauma than Froome's serious, albeit manageable injuries.

I wish him well and hope he recovers completely for the sake of his health and his family. Not sure why he wouldn't. He sounds optimistic, but yeah, age is a factor here, which may be as much a thing as his injuries. I hope so. As a fan of some tremendous racing and fantastic races this year, I would have hoped he'd have just tipped his cap and called it a career.

Well played, sir! :D

I think Lemond's shotgun blast injuries were while turkey hunting, and I thought I heard that the shot size was not actually buckshot but "turkey shot" -- smaller pellets (maybe bb sized) but way more of them embedded in his organs and lungs. I realize this may be nitpicking. I concur with your points, though.

Reactions: red_flanders
Hate to bump this thread when it was nearly on the second page:p

But what do they tinfoil hat made up story believers say about this?

EVvNyj5WoAA4WA5

Reactions: brownbobby
Wiggins was a surprise to...anyone who had ever watched Wiggins climb a mountain before 2009.

If you don’t climb mountains you have to learn how. Even if tou’ve forgotten. It doesn’t mean you can’t. I’m not defending the feckless BW, merely noting the discourse at the time and the reasons often given. Which were something of a false distraction from the issues that people were really objecting to.

Last edited:
I think Lemond's shotgun blast injuries were while turkey hunting, and I thought I heard that the shot size was not actually buckshot but "turkey shot" -- smaller pellets (maybe bb sized) but way more of them embedded in his organs and lungs. I realize this may be nitpicking. I concur with your points, though.
The shot size was smaller. It was also lead and embedded in places where it couldn't be removed. He's always felt that the residual lead has been more of a problem for him. Only his doctor would know. Either way; he came back and with the delayed Tour start; so should Froome.

All just training kms for next years Tour.
Probably fair to say for the time being. Also fair to say that was not what the team was hoping for from him this year, or anything like the expectations that were leaking out in the media. He's not where he thought he'd be, that much seems clear.

I for one am thrilled if the Froome era is over, I just don't like him as a rider or a personality, but for his sake I hope he finds something to hang onto or concludes that it's just over and he's able to move on. I think calling this training miles even feels like a stretch. He just can't hold on to power for any length of time.

Reactions: Koronin
I think his GT career ended with his crash, and the emergence of Pogačar. I'm sure he will still grab wins here and there.

I dont know how he will sit in the history of cycling. So tainted, and dubious, but at the same time much much tougher and much more skilled than he is given credit for. On paper he is up there with the greatest tour riders, but nobody (me included) really accepts this.

An odd era.

On paper he is up there with the greatest tour riders, but nobody (me included) really accepts this.

Plenty of people do. Maybe none of the people on the forums frequent do or people you follow on social media do. But that's a self-selected bubble chosen to reinforce your opinion. And everyone does that to a certain extent.

Over the summer the Spanish sports newspaper Marca chose the 100 greatest sportsmen (just men) of the 21st century. Froome was 17th, the highest cyclist, 12 places ahead of Contador. And one place ahead of Tom Brady, but two behind LeBron James.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS