• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 1371 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I guess ISN cannot create the cocktail he was on before.
Let me get this right: in 2011 or whenever, he reinvents himself when he and the missus come up with this magic elixir that pushes him to the top and now he's at ISN neither of them can remember what was in it? Is it really too much to ask that conspiracy theories have an element of internal logic? I've seen episodes of Murder, She Wrote which were more tightly written than this. Not many, but a few.

Let me get this right: in 2011 or whenever, he reinvents himself when he and the missus come up with this magic elixir that pushes him to the top and now he's at ISN neither of them can remember what was in it? Is it really too much to ask that conspiracy theories have an element of internal logic? I've seen episodes of Murder, She Wrote which were more tightly written than this. Not many, but a few.

Froome is old & way past his best. Drugs & a "program" have an expiration date, always, i.e. the rider's age & health to be specific.

A comparative would be Armstrong in 2010 at Radioshack who juiced it like in his best years, but he was never going to regain his 2001 form.

Stick a fork in him, he'd done. And then there's the Sky specific preparation entailing God knows what which made their team stronger than others (a bit like Quick Step).

I guess you didn't pick up the humor from my post?

Are you sure you didn't leave it in the car? I think you may have left it in the car. Go check.
Perhaps I did. I also think you are fairly tone deaf and grouchy Fergie, so I won't take it too personally.

Froome is old, post massive injury, and who knows what might be up with whatever his supplementation routines were and now are. I don't find it surprising he is nowhere near where he used to be and I would be very surprised if he got close. It seems like he has quite the spin machine around him, so it is difficult to know where he was post injury and where he is now. There has been a fair bit of BS from his camp about what his progress has been and what his level is.

Unrelated specifically to Froome - I actually do find it interesting when racers switch teams and whatever had been working well no longer works at all (or vice versa). And this is not just PED talk, but a magic mix of everything ... training, coaching, tactics, team cohesion and mood/culture, etc.

Well given no one has ever recovered from such injuries to their previous form I suggest you're being rather hard on him. In case you have forgotten he had an open fracture of the femur, fractured pelvis, fractured neck vertebrae, punctured lung or similar, fractured elbow joint and he lost enough blood that he could have easily clocked out at the time. The fact he is riding at all is an achievement given his accident.
If everything went as you describe then perhaps. But fractures heal as do punctured lungs (ask Lemond). I just don't buy his inujuries prevent him from reaching the top again, because his top was unreachable even for him under normal circumstances. Froome should be at least decent by now, but he is like a mediocre dilettante, completely unrecognizable form the hights he obtained on "marginal gains" and evidently a great deal of "salbutomal."

Last edited:
If everything went as you describe then perhaps. But fractures heal as do punctured lungs (ask Lemond). I just don't buy his inujuries prevent him from reaching the top again, because his top was unreachable even for him under normal circumstances. Froome should be at least decent by now, but he is like a mediocre diletante, completely unrecognizable form the hights he obtained on "marginal gains" and evidently a great deal of "salbutomal."
This post should be deleted, following the rules of this forum, right? It's difficult to answer you here, following the rules.

Turn your GPS on, mate.

I think those posts were moved from the main forum to this area of the site (that's why they look out of place).

I mean here I can clearly state Froome "doped". He did, literally. But so do others. And that alone (i.e. doping versus not doping) doesn't explain why he's so terrible right now.

I find it hard to believe Israel ride pan y agua, so Froome is simply done as a top level cyclist through age & an accumulation of issues. It'll reach "untenable" levels next spring when his performance further deteriorates. That's when the "I'm working to get back to my best" talk won't work anymore.

If everything went as you describe then perhaps. But fractures heal as do punctured lungs (ask Lemond). I just don't buy his inujuries prevent him from reaching the top again, because his top was unreachable even for him under normal circumstances. Froome should be at least decent by now, but he is like a mediocre dilettante, completely unrecognizable form the hights he obtained on "marginal gains" and evidently a great deal of "salbutomal."
You are so missing the boat. It was bringing his own pillow that worked the magic.

• Haha
Reactions: noob and Extinction
I think those posts were moved from the main forum to this area of the site (that's why they look out of place).

I mean here I can clearly state Froome "doped". He did, literally. But so do others. And that alone (i.e. doping versus not doping) doesn't explain why he's so terrible right now.

I find it hard to believe Israel ride pan y agua, so Froome is simply done as a top level cyclist through age & an accumulation of issues. It'll reach "untenable" levels next spring when his performance further deteriorates. That's when the "I'm working to get back to my best" talk won't work anymore.
Not sure to what extent his injuries are the issue, and what else plays into everything. Huge injuries. New team (doping aside). Likely a different regimen of supplements and training. Who knows what shyt-mix is making him so bad. But he is bad and much more comparable to pre-transfroomation, which makes me suspect that drugs or lack thereof are at least part of the issue.

I mean, he currently sucks and if taken at face value if he were a new pro, he would be at risk of not finding a team at all.

Reactions: Rackham
Not sure to what extent his injuries are the issue, and what else plays into everything. Huge injuries. New team (doping aside). Likely a different regimen of supplements and training. Who knows what shyt-mix is making him so bad. But he is bad and much more comparable to pre-transfroomation, which makes me suspect that drugs or lack thereof are at least part of the issue.

I mean, he currently sucks and if taken at face value if he were a new pro, he would be at risk of not finding a team at all.

I guess we all have our assumptions (usually based on what we've learned about the sport).

I'm inclined to believe there was a very specific regimen at Sky with the right people behind the scenes in the team & also right people behind the scenes outside the team which gave Froome his advantage.

I don't think dope is enough. It takes an extra layer of advantage on top. I mean that's what Armstrong had (I'm talking about the UCI backing him with Verbruggen to the point where he was advantaged).

I think Froome's "game over" happened between his Salbutamol 2017 Vuelta positive & his Giro 2018 Landis-esque 80km solo raid. I also think Ineos had already decided he was done after that.

That's just my own guess.

TRENDING THREADS