• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Valley said:
I guess cyclists have brought it on themselves to a large extent with cycling's dark years of doping and lying, but it all comes down to character in the end. Do Froome or Wiggins seem like the types who would dope?

Categorically: no

Whilst there are still some obvious chancers out there, I'll put my head on the block for Froome and Wiggins.

Wiggins no!!!!!??

Can you think of a rider who more fits the profile than Bradley Wiggins?

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
The Valley said:
I guess cyclists have brought it on themselves to a large extent with cycling's dark years of doping and lying, but it all comes down to character in the end. Do Froome or Wiggins seem like the types who would dope?

Whilst there are still some obvious chancers out there, I'll put my head on the block for Froome and Wiggins.

Thats not wise ^^ Froome used dope when being younger, I got eyewitness on that.

So don't be to blind, there is however much difference on doping.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
The Valley said:

This is the most naive thing I've read today. Good men, who treat others with respect, and have actual consciences, dope like junkies.

Ivan Basso and Tyler Hamilton are allegedly decent, loving, caring people. And being clean does not make one a saint.

Apr 11, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
The guy came from Kenya (I got that joke wrong, but ran with it for the sake o' funnies) so he always was gonna have a lag of a coupla years in his development.

You got that right, Blackcat.

Africa, Kenya and South Africa included, is not exactly "cycling central" for a smooth development from the juniors, if there are much of any. These folks prefer running (Kenya), soccer, barbecues (braai), rugby, and cricket, and generally relaxing and laying about. Great potential there for smooth development. :rolleyes:

This is hardly Australia, with it's AIS, etc., or Italy, Belgium, Holland, Spain, etc., where cycling is incredibly deep. If he's a diamond in the rough, he was always going to explode with a breakthrough once he had a year or two at a top tier team (and that doesn't include Barloworld).

Brailsford on him:

"He showed some fantastic numbers in training and the question for us was why did he not perform like he did in the Vuelta before. But he got this disease and once he got on top of that his performances improved," Brailsford said. "What he is doing on the Tour is just a continuation of what he did at the Vuelta last year. Had he not punctured (earlier in the race) he would be right up there with Bradley, and the biggest challenger would have been within the team."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/2012/07/09/tour_de_france_team_sky_bradley_wiggins_christopher_froome/

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
You got that right, Blackcat.

Africa, Kenya and South Africa included, is not exactly "cycling central" for a smooth development from the juniors, if there are much of any. These folks prefer running (Kenya), soccer, barbecues (braai), rugby, and cricket, and generally relaxing and laying about. Great potential there for smooth development. :rolleyes:

Yesterday on TdF cycling show a reporter told the story of Froome wanting to become the national champ of Kenya. :D

paraphrased:

Froome learned about national championship jerseys and he became interested in defending the colours of his country. One problem, he didn't know how to win it in the first place, so he called the national cycling association in Kenya (?), and asked: "I would like to wear and defend the colours of my country, so how can I win the Kenyan national championship. When are the nationals" "Erm... we don't have any nationals." .... "You know what, why don't you send me a design of the national champs jersey and we will issue it to you."

I don't know if it's totally fact, totally fiction, but it makes great cycling story nonetheless.

May 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been a bit bored this afternoon, so I had a snoop around for some articles on Froome. I don't really want to go through 19 pages to check if they've been posted or not:

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5jXROs4LIi1zN1tbSyC0EY0z-Vdrg

However Froome had harsher words for Duenas, a rider he originally believed was "a nice guy".

"I don't know if he fully understood the consequences of what he was doing," added Froome, who recently acquired British nationality having spend much of his adolescence in South Africa.

"But it was a very selfish act on his part, selfish enough to take away almost 45 people's jobs."

Froome says that he has felt differently about the team's image since the Duneas affair erupted last week.

"We're all Barloworld, and people put you all in the same boat. If I say to someone I'm riding for Barloworld the first thing they might think about is doping," he added.

"It makes me very angry - but what can you do about it?"

He added: "Moises got on well with everyone on the team. I really liked him and thought he was a decent guy, so to me it was a huge shock.

"I find it incredible that he's managed to hide it from all of us like that. But what I find more amazing is how he thought he could come to the Tour de France and get away with it. You're going to be tested, so what's the deal?"

Equally strong words in this interview, describing the Duenas Incident as a "betrayal" http://www.veloveritas.co.uk/2009/01/21/chris-froome-working-hard-getting-results/

Here's the only quote I can find from him about Doping pre-Vuelta 2011 from Jan 2011.
“It’s unfortunate that certain individuals bring down the reputation of all of us and ultimately we’re all painted with the same brush but I believe the only reason cycling has such a bad reputation is because it is policed so well. I don’t think there is any other sport out there which is controlled as tightly as it is in cycling. On a daily basis we give our whereabouts and where we will be sleeping so we are available for testing 24/7. As a result I think it’s currently one of the cleanest endurance sports around.”

However, as with any rider revealing himself at the highest level, certainly even more at a race like the Vuelta, suspicion reigns. "I am not
at all bothered by any suspicion", Froome says. "I think it's normal people think 'where has this guy come from' but [doping] is not even an
option for me. I really feel strongly about clean cycling - very strongly."

People were particularly surprised by his performance on the Angliru climb.

"Actually I take that as a compliment, people suspecting something else", Froome answers. "That's cycling. There have always
been suspicions but I would like to prove over the next few years that I can consistently be there."

Some harsh words there, but he equally seems more understanding of accusations against himself than Wiggins did.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
roundabout said:
WTF. I remember Konica Minolta, Barloworld, HSBC. Cox, Lill, Kannemeyer, etc, etc.

And now I am told that this was a hickville around 2005. Do you really think we are morons here, parrot, who will easily swallow your rewriting of history????
what, Velits bros,

so, 2010,11, they have Velits and Froomie on podium.

dont forget JL Augustyn.

record ascent for Mt Fuji.

And I have much time for TKannemeyer. Woulda been a 10yr Protour rider, if he was a Brit, cos he would have got the positive racism and wide berth shown to certain nationalities, they also got advantage of a system where national coaches have networks to place these riders on Cofidic and Landbouwkrediet-Tönissteiner-Colnado-cetracetra

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Parrot23 said:
Brailsford on him:

"He showed some fantastic numbers in training and the question for us was why did he not perform like he did in the Vuelta before. But he got this disease and once he got on top of that his performances improved," Brailsford said. "What he is doing on the Tour is just a continuation of what he did at the Vuelta last year. "

great Parrot. But I want the original quote circa 2009, about his testing... but this does well in its place. Thanks vmuch

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
The Valley said:

Runitout said:
This is the most naive thing I've read today. Good men, who treat others with respect, and have actual consciences, dope like junkies.

Ivan Basso and Tyler Hamilton are allegedly decent, loving, caring people. And being clean does not make one a saint.
MV5BMTIzOTk1NzY5NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTMzNDgzMQ@@._V1._SY317_CR1,0,214,317_.jpg

"Qu'ils mangent de la brioche"
ma+cakes.jpg

Marie Antoinette I fink you lost your head.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
If I were Froome I'd ride against Wiggins like Lemond did against Hinault. :) I mean Froome simply rode Wiggins off his wheel on the top of that climb.

Oh, but he'll be a robot like all the other drones who work for their million dollar men nowadays. No spine.

BigBoat said:
If I were Froome I'd ride against Wiggins like Lemond did against Hinault. :) I mean Froome simply rode Wiggins off his wheel on the top of that climb.

Oh, but he'll be a robot like all the other drones who work for their million dollar men nowadays. No spine.

If your dealer is giving out the m&ms and says the other guy will win you listen. You never want to cut off your supply. Ever.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
The Valley said:

You really have no idea what guys at that level of competition will do. EGO is very essential at that level.

And given that, a lot will risk a lot for the success of being a top rider. It changes everything for you. Salary, sponsorships, contracts.

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
BigBoat said:

Yeah, pretty interesting...pulls for about 3k, hard mind you, uphill, then somehow has the ability to counter attack Evans and drop them like Cat 3's....not domestiques, the prior winner and one of the best GC riders in the world and...Wiggo...(super domestique):D

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
PedalPusher said:
You really have no idea what guys at that level of competition will do. EGO is very essential at that level.
Quite true, and perhaps more importantly the burning desire to win at any cost. A study was done in 1967, where elite runners were asked, if they would take a pill that would kill them in a year, but make them Olympic champions. More than half said yes.
http://www.howstuffworks.com/athletic-drug-test.htm

Did Wiggo just throw his own teammate [Froome] under the bus with this comment?

"I’ve been fourth in the Tour de France, third in the Vuelta last year, it’s not like I’ve just come from nowhere. I’ve got an incredible pedigree behind me, junior world champion and an incredible rise through the ranks and so I don’t feel like I lost my cool, I just said what I think.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wig...&ns_source=cyclingnews&ns_linkname=0&ns_fee=0

Froome to me is the English version of Bernhard Kohl, only with a very powerful doped up team behind him. As Kohl did-there is this rider with no "noticeable results" in his career-and surprisingly, he's climbing & ITT'ing among the best-even podium'ed. does it sound familiar?

and how about the fact that his "blood disease" only appears when he isn't competing at all-only when he's away training or resting? :mad:

that sh!t ain't right at all !!!

I truly & honestly dislike him-as he represents the purest side of dope culture in cycling.

Kohl didn't quite come from nowhere. Had a very promising season in 2006 at just 24. His best GT result (albeit 30th) in the 2007 Tour. Next year he made the big leap, for what are now obvious reasons, although he probably wasn't clean prior to then either.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Kohl didn't quite come from nowhere. Had a very promising season in 2006 at just 24. His best GT result (albeit 30th) in the 2007 Tour. Next year he made the big leap, for what are now obvious reasons, although he probably wasn't clean prior to then either.
second in dauphine that year.

think di gregorio had a good dauphine about the same time. Brailsofrd was interested in him when sky were founded

TRENDING THREADS