• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Froome Talk Only

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I never trusted this guy to begin with. I think he should explain why he never delivered results until the 2011 Vuelta. How could such a talented rider underperform so much? Before the Vuelta his DS considered him little more than a water-carrier and he didn't even have a contract for 2012. I've heard he had some kind of bug-related illness but I think he should explain his improvement for people to trust him. Very sketchy...

The last rider that had such a huge improvement in his performance was a guy named Bernard Kohl and you may recall that it didn't end up well.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
enCYCLOpedia said:
The main counter argument to that is: agreed, someone has to have the greatest talent and train the hardest. However, in a peloton where there are many talented and hard-working riders, and where at least a fraction of them still dope effectively, this most talented and hardest working rider will still not come out at the top, unless he also dopes (leaving aside the question of who is the best "responder").

It's just statistics, and looking at the palmares since the 1990s, it has always proved true (allowing for some time delay in the last few years).

Understand your position.

My original point was not to argue that CF was definitely doping but that I could not accept on the TdF evidence that he is clean.

My take is that occasionally a clean rider wins (naive maybe).

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Kangert said:
I never trusted this guy to begin with. I think he should explain why he never delivered results until the 2011 Vuelta. How could such a talented rider underperform so much? Before the Vuelta his DS considered him little more than a water-carrier and he didn't even have a contract for 2012. I've heard he had some kind of bug-related illness but I think he should explain his improvement for people to trust him. Very sketchy...

The last rider that had such a huge improvement in his performance was a guy named Bernard Kohl and you may recall that it didn't end up well.

SKY hard-working doctors discovered the perfect combination of wonder drugs around that time, probably thanks for Froom's anti-viral treatment serendipity

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
the question is not whether Froomie is a likable guy.
thr question is not whether Froomie is on gear.

He is both in the affirmative.

Is he a talented rider also? Compellingly so.

Is he any different to the top ten, on gear? no.

Is it the juice then? no.

Do reasons other than dope explain his obscurity since 2008? Yeah. He was coming off a tough race schedule in Barlowold, not the racing calendar that was suited to his potential.

Had he come through a system from a country outside the continent, like Australia, England, or US he would have got there much more quickly.

As it stands, he had to do it harder, he did the hard yards without much backing.

riders from Canada, South Africa, New Zealand, face much greater challenges. The riders from the other anglophone nations, get the advantage or a reverse discrimination. Call it a Liggett effect.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Blazin Saddles spot on:

It's fair to say that had Froome been allowed to actually treat the Tour de France as if it were a race and not a training exercise then he would have quite easily caught and passed the Spaniard to take his second stage win of the race.

What we saw on the final major climb of the Tour up the Col de Peyresourde to Peygagudes was essentially the maillot jaune being paced up by a rider so clearly stronger than him in the mountains.

It was a piece of "Froome Service" extraordinaire — and an incident which, quite frankly, made Wiggins look like a complete charity case. It wouldn't surprise Saddles if he were to learn that Chris Froome's middle name was, er, Keirin, given the amount of pace setting he was going.

Time and time again, Froome looked over his shoulder, spotted he had pulled out too far ahead, checked his speed and waited for his team leader in yellow. It was embarrassing to watch.

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs...hakes-prove-decisive-mountains-231638925.html

Hi I'm a long time lurker to these forums. I haven't had a chance to watch or see any of the Tour as yet. I'm looking forward to watching my recording on Tivo.

I'm big fan of Chris Froome. Last race I saw him was in the Tour de Romandie. I hope he improves just a little so he can maybe get in a break and win a stage at the Tour.

He's obviously a long way off form. So maybe next year will be better for him.
__

Tour de Romandie 2012 result

Prologue:

28. Christopher FROOME, Sky +13

Stage 1:
48. Christopher FROOME, Sky +11:17

Stage 2:
131. Christopher FROOME, Sky +6:35

Stage 3:
48. Christopher FROOME, Sky +6:33

Stage 4:
93. Christopher FROOME, Sky at 14:46

Stage 5:
39. Christopher FROOME, Sky at 1:45

GC:
123. Christopher FROOME, Sky at 41:10

Froome Olympic ITT - Weight increase

Anyone notice that Froome looked A LOT heavier today ????? he looked like he had piled on some weight. S,pose it could have been the tv cameras....but his face looked filled out as well.

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
Anyone notice that Froome looked A LOT heavier today ????? he looked like he had piled on some weight. S,pose it could have been the tv cameras....but his face looked filled out as well.
The only thing I noticed of 'likeable neighbourboy Froome' was his fitness after the race. T. Martin had to sit down for minutes to recuperate, mr Froome was clean as a fish. Just like his teammate of course.

Yep, this guy is the real deal. Best climber, third best TT'er. I have seen that before, in the lab of course.

Lab rat, all over it. The Chinese swimming girl is nothing compared to this dude.

Fearless Greg Lemond said:
The only thing I noticed of 'likeable neighbourboy Froome' was his fitness after the race. T. Martin had to sit down for minutes to recuperate, mr Froome was clean as a fish. Just like his teammate of course.

Yep, this guy is the real deal. Best climber, third best TT'er. I have seen that before, in the lab of course.

Lab rat, all over it. The Chinese swimming girl is nothing compared to this dude.

6ada1ed5-6250-4e2c-9f50-1e224b86909b.jpg

I am not a robot. I am human being.

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
FrankChickens said:
The thing with Froome is his exposure to pro tour level stage racing was, as far as I'm aware - fairly certain about this - zero pre his 2008 TDF showing.

In South Africa most of our races are one day events and way too short at that to prepare anybody for European racing. It's a huge jump to make and historically most of our guys really struggle to make it in Europe.

So with this in mind it kind of makes sense that he'd make a big leap over the course of two years.

That said his jump in performance from pre-Vuelta to leading that race was a little too staggering.

As for Bilharzia I'm still not convinced he's ever had it, especially given that there was absolutely no mention of it anywhere until the very day he started leading the 2011 Vuelta.

Reports seem to vary as to when he first got it - either pre-Sky or some time in 2010.

Well pretty much everyone in Kenya who has been outside Nairobi or the highlands around Mt. Kenya has had bilharzia. Indeed Froome's whole family have had it and are still trying to shake it - it's not an easy parasite to kill. For an athlete, as Froome points out, it's your worst nightmare as it attacks your red blood cells.

As for the cynics out there, ask Nairobi's "Centre for Tropical and Travel Medicine", Dr Chunge, if he treated Froome for bilharzia.

SpinToWin said:
That's not Froome though - isn't that Cooke? Here is Froome in his Barloworld colours:

http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=14058

Did you schedule special training on your time-trial bike?

"I haven't had a time trial bike with me in South Africa but I look forward to focusing a lot more on time trialing when I get back to Italy. I think it's definitely something I need to work on for the future".

-This guy is the money! Who needs a TT bike? Just pick one up & beat Fabs!

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
SpinToWin said:
As for the cynics out there, ask Nairobi's "Centre for Tropical and Travel Medicine", Dr Chunge, if he treated Froome for bilharzia.
Nice work by the doc getting Chris up and running just in time for the Tour this year, the Vuelta last year. That doc knows how to peak!

Did he have the parasite also in 2009 when he was climbing like a fool in the Giro?

SpinToWin said:
Well pretty much everyone in Kenya who has been outside Nairobi or the highlands around Mt. Kenya has had bilharzia. Indeed Froome's whole family have had it and are still trying to shake it - it's not an easy parasite to kill. For an athlete, as Froome points out, it's your worst nightmare as it attacks your red blood cells.
Makes you wonder, how does that affect his biological passport? Does he get a pass for funny blood values?

TRENDING THREADS