• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome Vs. Contador

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will you cheer for?

• Neutral

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
I think he sees Froome as more likely to break 38 minutes on Alpe than Contador.

Froome doing a sub 38 on the alpe imposbrruuuuuuu!!! :rolleyes: If he's lucky enough to maintain his scorching current form, then sub 40 is realistic. There's only two riders in the current peleton that have proven they have the abilities to do a sub 38 on the alpe. Froome is neither of them. But both are unfit so froome could easily get by with a sub 40 to win the stage ....

nick101 said:
Froome doing a sub 38 on the alpe imposbrruuuuuuu!!! :rolleyes: If he's lucky enough to maintain his scorching current form, then sub 40 is realistic. There's only two riders in the current peleton that have proven they have the abilities to do a sub 38 on the alpe. Froome is neither of them. But both are unfit so froome could easily get by with a sub 40 to win the stage ....

considering only 2 riders have ever done sub 38's, I'd be interested to see the proof you speak of...

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Archibald said:
considering only 2 riders have ever done sub 38's, I'd be interested to see the proof you speak of...

Wait i'm getting myself confused. I was thinking a sub 38 was almost 4 minutes slower than pantani's record - i was thinking the record was just over 34 minutes. Whoops :eek: .... Maybe those two riders have the potential to do a sub 40 at their very best. Don't think froome can do a sub 40 if the record is that much slower than what i thought and more difficult...

Taxus4a said:
Thank you ;)

...at least in this Forum not everybody hates Froome......

Well I do. For no other reason that he has one of the ugliest styles in the peleton. I just can stand the constant looking down, and the dumb white glasses.

"Hate" is obviously not really the right word here. I just much prefer to watch Contador. He's far more stylish and races with much more panache.

Netserk said:

The Hitch said:
I think he sees Froome as more likely to break 38 minutes on Alpe than Contador.

LaFlorecita said:
Not a surprise really.

lol, I take ~10% of polls seriously. I had to vote to see the results. I can easily choose either and would have gladly voted for a "both" option, or a "anyone but Purito". I think ultimately whoever wins will do it in style and will no doubt be the strongest. I guess that makes me a true fan of neither, because to hope for one to win is to wish defeat on the other. Personally though I find it hard to prefer one over the other, they are both world class and exciting. As the incumbent, Contador holds the higher position, but it will all be on the line.

Ferminal said:
lol, I take ~10% of polls seriously. I had to vote to see the results. I can easily choose either and would have gladly voted for a "both" option, or a "anyone but Purito". I think ultimately whoever wins will do it in style and will no doubt be the strongest. I guess that makes me a true fan of neither, because to hope for one to win is to wish defeat on the other. Personally though I find it hard to prefer one over the other, they are both world class and exciting. As the incumbent, Contador holds the higher position, but it will all be on the line.

that's what I meant :D

Taxus4a said:
Thank you ;)

Well, at least in this Forum not everybody hates Froome, that is very nice for me. I dont understand, after to watch Oman or La Gallina last year in La Vuelta, or Peña Cabarga... how people can say the dont like him as a rider. He dont have a strong aceleration as Contador, but he attack and he is like crazy and unexpected...

This forum hasn't always been so overwhelmingly hating on Froome. In fact there has been a lot of love for Froome last year, especially during the Tour when he supposedly attacked the forum-hated Wiggins. From what I've seen, this changed after Tour of Oman stage 4 this year when a lot of the love for him quickly turned into hate.

It is quite apparent where the hate is mostly coming from. The large majority of the vocal members of this forum are Contador fans that would love to see Contador continue his dominance of stage races. Previously Froome was not considered a threat to this dominance, especially with his poor result at the Vuelta, so he was tolerated by the forum. As it became more likely that Froome would be entering the Tour in better form than Contador, the hate started to set in.

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
wwabbit said:
This forum hasn't always been so overwhelmingly hating on Froome. In fact there has been a lot of love for Froome last year, especially during the Tour when he supposedly attacked the forum-hated Wiggins. From what I've seen, this changed after Tour of Oman stage 4 this year when a lot of the love for him quickly turned into hate.

It is quite apparent where the hate is mostly coming from. The large majority of the vocal members of this forum are Contador fans that would love to see Contador continue his dominance of stage races. Previously Froome was not considered a threat to this dominance, especially with his poor result at the Vuelta, so he was tolerated by the forum. As it became more likely that Froome would be entering the Tour in better form than Contador, the hate started to set in.

I'm in agreement on parts of this especially the high number of Contador fans, but, think with regards to Froome I think most fans knew he was set to destroy the field this year after the ease he appeared to ride last years tour. The Vuelta last year was not a true indicator of his best form.

nick101 said:
Wait i'm getting myself confused. I was thinking a sub 38 was almost 4 minutes slower than pantani's record - i was thinking the record was just over 34 minutes. Whoops :eek: .... Maybe those two riders have the potential to do a sub 40 at their very best. Don't think froome can do a sub 40 if the record is that much slower than what i thought and more difficult...

AC's best is 41-something IIRC, so I doubt froome could better that by over a minute.
that said, I doubt either of them could do sub-40's and may even struggle to do sub-41
unless...

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Mikkel Condé v2.0‏@mrconde10h
Chris Froome on @bbc5live says he & Team Sky have already beaten Contador so: "I don't think we have to be worried about him"... #tdf

The last tweet may not have done Froome justice. He really didn't come off as arrogant when saying it. Just to clear that up..

Cimber said:
Chris Froome on @bbc5live says he & Team Sky have already beaten Contador so: "I don't think we have to be worried about him"... #tdf

The last tweet may not have done Froome justice. He really didn't come off as arrogant when saying it. Just to clear that up..

Lol :eek: Alberto please crush him

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it's fair for the Contador fans to bash Froome for saying this.

First of all did he really say that? Or did a journalist put the words in his mouth? Never trust an interview like that. I need to hear him say it, otherwise it has not much value for me.

Second of all. What did Contador say? "If i've good legs i fear no one." What's the difference with Froome's statement?

Miburo said:
I don't think it's fair for the Contador fans to bash Froome for saying this.

First of all did he really say that? Or did a journalist put the words in his mouth? Never trust an interview like that. I need to hear him say it, otherwise it has not much value for me.

Second of all. What did Contador say? "If i've good legs i fear no one." What's the difference with Froome's statement?

WOW!! Very mature .... I think the end of the world is near.