• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome Vs. Contador

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will you cheer for?

• Neutral

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Hitch said:
Last year in tirreno mtf they said - oh he only beat Horner.

:cool:

Stupid therefore to continue this line of thinking. It's 2014 not 2013, you can't know how good everyone is.

that is of cause very true. I was just saying there were factors that made Froome look stronger than he would if SKY had approached the races like they did in Andalucia and that this performance made me believe more in him in July than i already did.

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
It seems that when a rider slips down for a couple of seasons, such as Contador has (because of infractions etc) they rarely if ever come back to the very top, I suspect Chris will beat Alberto, Chris now seems to be the overall better rider, that and Sky I think is the better grand tour team.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
The question is not who will win but who will I be cheering. That's easy.

TBH, I have yet to cheer for Froome and I have tried but I can't...at least not yet. He seems like a decent person. There is no reason to hate him other than he beats my favorites. But there you have it. He beat my favorites last year and is continuing the same good form this year...:(:(;) while my favorites are off being distracted having babies or out of form.

I'd cheer for Wiggins over Froome (pitiful descending is as charming as great descending, I guess).

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Taxus4a said:
Contador in a 5 days tour, with a shor ITT and a climb semi explosive, has been the best rider maybe in history... he destroyed his rivals.. the best rivals possible from February to April....

Right now, a young Kwatlowski beated him clearly.

Froome, by the contrary, has destroyed everybody in Oman, with Purito, Nibali, TVG, Kreuziger, Urán, Franck Schleck, etc...

But is good that both of them have won.

If Contador win Pais Vasco, what is possible, we must count with him.

why? Quintana will be on form in that race. Why is it important if Contador wins Pais Vasco, we must count him in? can you elaborate more?

contessador said:
The question is not who will win but who will I be cheering. That's easy.

TBH, I have yet to cheer for Froome and I have tried but I can't...at least not yet. He seems like a decent person. There is no reason to hate him other than he beats my favorites. But there you have it. He beat my favorites last year and is continuing the same good form this year...:(:(;) while my favorites are off being distracted having babies or out of form.

I'd cheer for Wiggins over Froome (pitiful descending is as charming as great descending, I guess).

It is the best feeling in the world to cheer for the best gt rider. I had Vino in 06, AC from 08-10, and I had Nibali in the giro 13. If you manage to start loving Froomster i will envy you.

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
It is the best feeling in the world to cheer for the best gt rider. I had Vino in 06, AC from 08-10, and I had Nibali in the giro 13. If you manage to start loving Froomster i will envy you.

lol, in the event that I start loving Froomster, I will let you know, Vino attacks everyone. I think I am touched with wounded hero syndrome - meaning it will take Froome showing a deficit or weakness, like Sir Wiggo picking his way down a steep slope, for me to be charmed into liking him.

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
is contador a threat to froome ?

on what i saw last year it looks to me as if contador is past his best and froome is just moving to higher levels .

froome dropped contador like a stone in the mountain stages last year , do people really think its going to be any different this year

seriously ... ?

shades1 said:

on what i saw last year it looks to me as if contador is past his best and froome is just moving to higher levels .

froome dropped contador like a stone in the mountain stages last year , do people really think its going to be any different this year

seriously ... ?

I'm a AC fan, but I'm trying not to be blind to the situation. I think that Froome will probably be stronger than Contador. But, I do think Contador will put up a better fight than he did last year. That's my opinion....I guess we will have to wait and find out at Tirreno.

shades1 said:

seriously ... ?

Contador still believes he can improve again this year so I guess we must wait and see just whether he can do it or not. Whether Contador can improve or not could be irrelevant anyway, if Froome continues to look stronger and stronger then he wont get near him. Personally I hope we see a better AC this year, It will be a great Tour if Froome could have both Nibali and Contador challenging him in peak condition.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:
Contador still believes he can improve again this year so I guess we must wait and see just whether he can do it or not. Whether Contador can improve or not could be irrelevant anyway, if Froome continues to look stronger and stronger then he wont get near him. Personally I hope we see a better AC this year, It will be a great Tour if Froome could have both Nibali and Contador challenging him in peak condition.

Imo to Contador win a Tour this year.two assumptions:
1.Contador has to be better than 2013 and 2012
2.Froome has to be worse than last year (maybe 2012 like,but we dont knoq his real form from that year)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Jspear said:
How many of you all think that Contador will be able to well at both the Tour and the Vuelta? It seems like Valverde and Puritio can do two grand tours back to back and they perform still perform well. I wonder if Contador can....

Last time he attempted back to back GT's he placed 1st in arguably one of the hardest Giro's we've had, and 5th in the Tour while also battling some injuries from early crashes. You'd have to consider that Giro-Tour is harder then Tour-Vuelta of course, but also that 2014 Contador may not equal 2011 Contador.

So taking into account that Contador was better in 2011, a Tour-Vuelta will be easier then giro-Tour, and that IMO he will probably be better this year then last; I'd say a podium in each wouldn't be too far outside the realm of possibilities. What place on the podium though is going to depend on his form vs his rivals forms this year, which is still TBD. At the least I think he will top 5 in both.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Jspear said:
How many of you all think that Contador will be able to well at both the Tour and the Vuelta? It seems like Valverde and Puritio can do two grand tours back to back and they perform still perform well. I wonder if Contador can....

I dont think so.I believe he can win the Tour but he cant podium Vuelta,thats why his appereance there is nonsense for me.