• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

    In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

    Thanks!

Froome Vs. Contador

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Who will you cheer for?

  • Neutral

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0
Parrulo said:
Why? Valverde dominating Andalucia isn't exactly surprising

Plus I'm reminded of that stat the other day that Valverde has only three times in his entire career won a road stage by more than five seconds. With no time bonuses at the Tour and a 50km+ TT it just doesn't seem realistic to expect him to beat all three of Froome, Nibali and potentially an improved Contador. Of course he's a very strong podium contender but he'd need a lot to go his way to take the win.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
Visit site
Parrulo said:
Why? Valverde dominating Andalucia isn't exactly surprising

True, but I think he will have a good year. He had a bad Tour last year, maybe he can pull it together.....and wow he looks skinny.

It would be interesting to have a thread tracking the GC contenders.

right now I see it as

1
Froome
Contador

1a
Valverde

1b
Porte

Still lots of riders to show their face
 
Aug 13, 2010
3,317
0
0
Visit site
Race Radio said:
True, but I think he will have a good year. He had a bad Tour last year, maybe he can pull it together.....and wow he looks skinny.

It would be interesting to have a thread tracking the GC contenders.

right now I see it as

1
Froome
Contador

1a
Valverde

1b
Porte

Still lots of riders to show their face
No Nibali?
 
It's February. Nothing has happened to suggest Nibali will show up to the Tour any worse than he did the Giro last year. But it's still pretty ambitious to think that will be good enough to beat Froome in a straightforward contest. How Contador shows up is far more uncertain and whilst we all hope for something special, it's still well early.

If Valverde can find career best form in 2014 and look even remotely threatening then, well, yeh...

We know nothing more than we did 6 months ago with perhaps the exception of random top5 candidates like Costa and Van Garderen.
 
Aug 13, 2010
3,317
0
0
Visit site
At the moment the only thing that is likely to beat Froome is the cobblestones. However, I am not sure any of his main GC rivals are any more likely to hammer home an advantage on that stage either.

I guess the other thing is if teams gang up and isolate Froome. But even then he is so strong that he just follows any attack.
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
Visit site
I just seen the Oman stage. Good to see Contador win yesterday but Froome was scarily a class above everyone here. Just look at him crossing the line in comparison to Uran who was right at the limit.

One thing that is still annoying watching him, is the constant looking down at that power meter.
 
gooner said:
I just seen the Oman stage. Good to see Contador win yesterday but Froome was scarily a class above everyone here. Just look at him crossing the line in comparison to Uran who was right at the limit.

One thing that is still annoying watching him, is the constant looking down at that power meter.

I didn't think Froome shoved anything really scary here, TJ was his main rival, it's not like he wiped the floor with an on form and motivated Quintana, he even gained an tactical advantage because of Henaos attack with TJ doing some of the chasing weakening him before Froomes attack and then TJ and Uran got a little tactical.

Still if we're keeping scores it's point Froome this week.
 
Mar 25, 2013
5,389
0
0
Visit site
Peter von said:
I didn't think Froome shoved anything really scary here, TJ was his main rival, it's not like he wiped the floor with an on form and motivated Quintana, he even gained an tactical advantage because of Henaos attack with TJ doing some of the chasing weakening him before Froomes attack and then TJ and Uran got a little tactical.

Still if we're keeping scores it's point Froome this week.

That point was made also after the Criterium International last year where he beat guys like TJVG and Talansky on the l'Ospedale and it was still on we go with the domination to Romandy, Dauphine and Tour.

We can mention poor opposition, early season form of rivals where they mightn't be at their peak or motivated to do a big result at this time, but this was used in the last 2 years also and it didn't make a difference when it came to the crunch.
 

TearMeApart

BANNED
Dec 26, 2013
48
0
0
Visit site
The 2013 Tour clearly demonstrated that Froome was able to blast everyone the same way in the 2012 Tour yet so there cannot be underestimation.
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
Visit site
Ferminal said:
It's February. Nothing has happened to suggest Nibali will show up to the Tour any worse than he did the Giro last year. But it's still pretty ambitious to think that will be good enough to beat Froome in a straightforward contest. How Contador shows up is far more uncertain and whilst we all hope for something special, it's still well early.

If Valverde can find career best form in 2014 and look even remotely threatening then, well, yeh...

We know nothing more than we did 6 months ago with perhaps the exception of random top5 candidates like Costa and Van Garderen.

Based on results just current results, how they achieved it.. i think so far quintana and valverde are the only who looks like got a good base and make the most out of their winter training to match Froome. Nibali is still no show yet. Contador is still uncertain. Winning mountain stage at his first race now is the same result as Argentina last year. At TA we'll be able to see how everyone fares against each other. Froome, AC, Quintana (looks like he will be there). I just saw the rebroadcast of green mountain stage, Froome looks really good considering he said that this is a more relax approach to his season. That's frightening.
 
Contador in a 5 days tour, with a shor ITT and a climb semi explosive, has been the best rider maybe in history... he destroyed his rivals.. the best rivals possible from February to April....

Right now, a young Kwatlowski beated him clearly.

Froome, by the contrary, has destroyed everybody in Oman, with Purito, Nibali, TVG, Kreuziger, Urán, Franck Schleck, etc...

But is good that both of them have won.

If Contador win Pais Vasco, what is possible, we must count with him.
 
Peter von said:
I didn't think Froome shoved anything really scary here, TJ was his main rival, it's not like he wiped the floor with an on form and motivated Quintana, he even gained an tactical advantage because of Henaos attack with TJ doing some of the chasing weakening him before Froomes attack and then TJ and Uran got a little tactical.

Still if we're keeping scores it's point Froome this week.



gooner said:
That point was made also after the Criterium International last year where he beat guys like TJVG and Talansky on the l'Ospedale and it was still on we go with the domination to Romandy, Dauphine and Tour.

We can mention poor opposition, early season form of rivals where they mightn't be at their peak or motivated to do a big result at this time, but this was used in the last 2 years also and it didn't make a difference when it came to the crunch.
Last year in tirreno mtf they said - oh he only beat Horner.

:cool:

Stupid therefore to continue this line of thinking. It's 2014 not 2013, you can't know how good everyone is.
 
Feb 18, 2014
33
0
0
Visit site
General impression after the first round of GT riders' showing is that Froome will enter the March races ahead of the others, followed by Valverde and Quintana, with group consisting of Contador, Van Garderen, Kwiatkowski, Uran, Porte more - less equal.
We're waiting the March round now.