• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome's Acceleration on the Bike ??

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
They did test for bike motors in the Tour - no?

Race Radio said:
I have heard no rumors of Froome using a motorized bike, did not write a post about it so it nothing disappeared

LaFlorecita said:
Zam :D where have you been?

Ps where can I buy one of those bike motors?

This is it you see, why mums the word. Because you want one. I will want one for sure, cycle chic will definitely want one and EVERY one will want one. Except race radio, he already has one :)

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
In a word...

34416044.jpg

awww....cher baby, hers was woke from her nap!

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
horsingabout. yes they did xray all bikes at the start for motors, so he could not have used one. as I understand it they are allowed 2 road bikes and 1timetrial all where checked.

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
so there is a potential problem that motors could be used, other wise why test.

Yes, and of course the totally trustworthy UCI performed said test! A bike switcheroo would be out of the question........:rolleyes:

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
So if this is finally debunked I still am curious as to what drugs are used nowadays, with all the tests coming in clean.

In 93-94 when Riis emerged as our future top dog the use of epo was becoming well known. So we kinda knew that if he was enhancing his performances, epo was the likely drug of choice.

But now? What are they on? They sure as fudge aren't riding clean, I'll bet my life on that.:)

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Clausfarre said:
So if this is finally debunked I still am curious as to what drugs are used nowadays, with all the tests coming in clean.

In 93-94 when Riis emerged as our future top dog the use of epo was becoming well known. So we kinda knew that if he was enhancing his performances, epo was the likely drug of choice.

But now? What are they on? They sure as fudge aren't riding clean, I'll bet my life on that.:)

Riis used three transfusions of his own blood during the 1996 tour, this is still not detectable and I think achievable now.

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
horsinabout said:
I had a discussion about engines in bikes with two cycling friends, both aircraft engineers,
In the mid 1980s I was a designer of stepper motors and high force solenoids.
We had things in the 80s that would have put a huge kick into a sprint and 5-10 second life with a mass under a kilo.

Here is a market based device that would fit in a down tube is 7" long.
http://www.applied-motion.com/products/bldc-motors/bl105-h03-gp014

Generally we could outperform what was on the market significantly.

For short term burst of energy, recharge on the descents - its almost doable off-the-shelf.

Funny how the bike weights actually allow some room now for this. If there were no weighing limit, most these guys would be on 12# things and a 15# bike would raise a flag (if they weighted them to find electromechanical devices). Now it wouldn't be found by weighing.

Clausfarre said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but AFAIK there still isn't a specified threshold for AICAR....

Bike checks

Sky sport director Nicolas Portal brought Froome’s bike to the UCI’s tent, accompanied by a UCI commissaire. He was nonplussed by the checks, despite the late notice.
“Normally, they say nothing; it’s a surprise. They just say, ‘Ok, your bike, your bike, your bike,’ at the finish. It’s a gamble, just like anti-doping,” he said, adding that between his road and time trial bikes, Froome has had his equipment checked nearly 20 times this Tour.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013...d-for-bike-weight-checks-at-alpe-dhuez_295850

Only a few weeks ago, Fabiana Luperini was thrown out of the Giro Rosa while sitting in second place for failing a UCI weight check. Her bike was more than 100 grams under the weight limit.

Motor checks

The UCI have been inspecting 2013 Tour de France bikes for hidden engines..
The organisation confirmed to BikeRadar that they have been sweeping bikes for electrical assistance (Fabian Cancellara was accused of using a motor when he won Paris-Roubaix and the Tour of Flanders in 2010). Chris Froome’s Pinarello Bolide was one of the bikes checked after the mountain time trial on stage 17 to Chorges.

Matthieu Mottet, technical co-ordinator at the UCI, said testing involves removing seatposts and inserting a small camera in the down tube. For frames with integrated seatposts, the crank is removed and the camera inserted.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/...ikes-for-hidden-motors-and-illegal-kit-37937/

If it was all a big joke about Cancellara, why are the UCI taking it seriously ?

airstream

BANNED
Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Nothing special. Attack like attack. Froome always practised attacks in the saddle since 2012. As to a cue that he allegedly couldn't handle with pedaling, I disagree. When you work at little gears of 39x23-24 at 6-7% section as Froome did you are doomed to start pushing an excessive effort with very high cadence. Anyone who ride uphill will understand me I think.

Avoriaz said:
So are you switching your suspicion that Froome was doping to Froome was riding a motorbike? Or do you think he was doing both?

Hosinbout..Well I think what you do is make it lighter (Formula 1 technology?). This may reduce the effectiveness of any electrically powered device, but sufficient to add enough of a kick to what we witness with Froome's attack You can also compensate more by making the rider as light and as powerful as possible, Froome enter stage left!

Then as it is impractical for the whole of a three week stage race, you use it at choice times, like on Vonteux, to accelerate away.

I agree with this line of thinking.