• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome's Acceleration on the Bike ??

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
I,m making the point that Froome's bike is obviously under suspicion...as all the bikes are...Giro Rosa disqualification and tampering with weights is an issue....and motors in the bikes are being looked for.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/...ikes-for-hidden-motors-and-illegal-kit-37937/

There not being found though, are they. there are many things you can look at in Froomes performances that can be seen as things that would hint at some kind of doping, but his high cadence being used as proof of him using a motor is not one of them.

Cycle Chic said:
During the initial acceleration on Mont Ventoux, it seemed as if Froome couldn't keep up with the cadence, then settled down and got in sync with it.
Froomie's change of cadence was due to a new song coming
on in his ear-piece.....you can often see him on his radio
asking for the volume to be cranked up or for a different
tune, etc. etc....apparently on the last part of the climb
he was listening to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song
Jubilee Street:

I am alone now
I am beyond recriminations
Curtains are shut
Furniture has gone
I am transforming
I am vibrating
I am glowing
I am flying
Look at me now
I am flying
Look at me now

oldcrank said:
Froomie's change of cadence was due to a new song coming
on in his ear-piece.....you can often see him on his radio
asking for the volume to be cranked up or for a different
tune, etc. etc....apparently on the last part of the climb
he was listening to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song
Jubilee Street:

I am alone now
I am beyond recriminations
Curtains are shut
Furniture has gone
I am transforming
I am vibrating
I am glowing
I am flying
Look at me now
I am flying
Look at me now

You forgot to mentioned his full name, Nicholas Edward Cave.

Great choice !

I didn't know that. All that talk on the microphone, consulting Sir Dave and chatting to Quintana. And then when Froommiiieeee had the right tack playing, he told Quintana. Quintana nodded his head, then Froooooommmmmiiiiieeeeeee just sped off and all Quintana's strength seemed to have deserted him. Couldn't follow.

To think it was down to a song and there was me thinking it was something like we are more accustomed to seeing in "professional" cycling.

airstream said:
Nothing special. Attack like attack. Froome always practised attacks in the saddle since 2012. As to a cue that he allegedly couldn't handle with pedaling, I disagree. When you work at little gears of 39x23-24 at 6-7% section as Froome did you are doomed to start pushing an excessive effort with very high cadence. Anyone who ride uphill will understand me I think.

Yes, I often find myself running out of gears while climbing a 9% section. ;) But of course I'm no Froome.

Last time I saw anything that ridiculous is when Menchov crashed going uphill.

hfer07 said:
Dope-either inside Froome's body or inside Froome's bicycle- bottom line is how "ridiculous" is to witness such acceleration at 125 RPM on a 9% section at the very end of a demanding stage to win it by producing a few watts below Armstrong's doped up ride ....

I mean 125 RPM seated-not even bother standing on the pedals- to drop the ever loving sh!t out of Contador....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwjEeRp-yqo

maybe that's why he stays seated...much better control of a bike which is being driven by a motor.

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Do we agree it is possible?

I tend to think motors have never been used in professional racing.

I am convinced (from my own job) it is possible and seems UCI thinks so to - or why even test.

Testing is reasonable.

Personally I'd like 100% of the electronics gone. Radios, shifters, and computers. But that is me...

JimmyFingers said:
actually they have invisible angel wings on their bikes powered by cold fusion

one of these ?

DSCF0511.JPG

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
actually they have invisible angel wings on their bikes powered by cold fusion

you excell in this, jimmy, gotta hand it to you.
ridicule by exaggeration.
i hardly see you actually tackle an argument.

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
you excell in this, jimmy, gotta hand it to you.
ridicule by exaggeration.
i hardly see you actually tackle an argument.
The argument here is that he has a motor in his bike. Impossible? No. Unlikely? I think most people would say so. If we really wanted to get scientific we would be looking at the size of his head or the way that he celebrates.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
The argument here is that he has a motor in his bike. Impossible? No. Unlikely? I think most people would say so.

yeah, i fully agree.
just saying that jimmy's (and other sky fans') responses so often consist of exaggerating (with the intent of ridiculizing) the argument at hand, rather than actually tackling the argument at hand.

If we really wanted to get scientific we would be looking at the size of his head or the way that he celebrates.
:D

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't be late Pedro said:
The argument here is that he has a motor in his bike. Impossible? No. Unlikely? I think most people would say so. If we really wanted to get scientific we would be looking at the size of his head or the way that he celebrates.

Quoted for posterity

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
yeah, i fully agree.
just saying that jimmy's (and other sky fans') responses so often consist of exaggerating (with the intent of ridiculizing) the argument at hand, rather than actually tackling the argument at hand.

Getting personal today are we? If you're asking me to tackle seriously the suggestion that Froome was riding a motorised bike you are as devoid of reason as your post is of capital letters.

sniper said:
yeah, i fully agree.

:D

Well, it is a ridiculous thread.

Having run out of drugs to pin on Froome, it is now down to a cheating bike.

And when that dries up?

Froome has such sweet pheromone riders can't resist but stay behind him?

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
It's pretty obvious that Froome is riding an electric bike, you could tell by the way he had time to make reference to his sponsors logo when he won that stage in the Tour. A clean rider on a normal road bike would have never had the time or inclination to do something as cynical as promote his own sponsor. I'm going to draw the line at him riding a motorbike though.

Bernie's eyesore said:
It's pretty obvious that Froome is riding an electric bike, you could tell by the way he had time to make reference to his sponsors logo when he won that stage in the Tour. A clean rider on a normal road bike would have never had the time or inclination to do something as cynical as promote his own sponsor. I'm going to draw the line at him riding a motorbike though.

This is what is supposed to happen when a cyclist crosses the finish line after a very demanding stage- Specially Froome after having done those "extraterrestrial" efforts.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkNBQHZSHas

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
to correct the argument here....it is being suggested / discussed that a motor is being used for acceleration....AS WELL AS HIM DOPING.

It would be pretty silly to dope when you are using a motorised bike. Apart from the chances of getting caught, you're putting your health at risk for no reason at all.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
The only counterintuitive thing which suggests that such a ridiculous thing as an electric aid could be real would be the Fabian story itself.

After the gigantic Festina scandal during the 98 Tour and the humiliation of the riders it should logically have meant that most riders would have stepped away from the epo buffet.

Instead it just made the madness even more sofisticated and widespread. Based on this peloton response you could suggest that exposing the depth of the cheating just made people more competitive and willing to do what was deemed necessary to win.

So the idea of a motor - even if it is initially just a conspiracy theory - could turn into reality because it is an achievable possibility that the riders were made aware of. Technically it does not seem remotely impossible.