• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome's Acceleration on the Bike ??

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
2008885 said:
Can anyone provide a photo / drawing / whatever of what this device would look like, and how it would work??

this slots down the seat tube, the actuator rotor is a direct bevel drive link to the crank reducing the moment arm. Notice the contol panel can slot into an SRM stem mounted interface
Bimba-Original-Line-Electric-OLE-rod-type-actuator_zpsea671672.jpg

Here is a schematic cut through section showing the bevel drive and reduction linkages.
drum-motorTM215_zpsb07bbfde.jpg

Its 240V so is powered by 80 of these batteries stacked stacked inside the tube. Pinaforte manufactured Dawgs Dogma bike so the inner diameter is an exact match, its why nobody else has this device
cr2032_lithiumbattery_zps6312ed78.jpg

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
JimmyFingers said:
All looks very undetectable to me.

Don't forget that the UCI and ASO are working in unison with Sky. They probably know Froome is using a motor, in fact, I'd go so far as to say they are probably helping to fund it. There has to be a will to detect something, in Froome's case that will does not exist.

X Ray Machine

2008885 said:
Can anyone provide a photo / drawing / whatever of what this device would look like, and how it would work??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaVcb0iTRFo this is in Italian from Giro d'Italia 2010

So the UCI have an X-RAY MACHINE to detect the motor in the bike !!

Has anyone ever seen this machine ? I find it very difficult to believe that the UCI x-rays the riders bikes...quite an expensive, laborious task.

Weighing them fair enough very simple and quick.

Nov 9, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaVcb0iTRFo this is in Italian from Giro d'Italia 2010

So the UCI have an X-RAY MACHINE to detect the motor in the bike !!

Has anyone ever seen this machine ? I find it very difficult to believe that the UCI x-rays the riders bikes...quite an expensive, laborious task.

Weighing them fair enough very simple and quick.

The video is edited. He pushed the button, and then they cut to the rear wheel spinning. Anyone can make a video like that and claim the bike has a motor.

Giro d'Italia clip

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBFHo3Tu4X0

in this clip there is a device in the WATER BOTTLE AND BOTTLE CAGE. There are wires coming from the water bottle.

I read on one of the comments below the Cassani clip that someone had noted the water bottles on Froome, Porte and Quintanas' bikes on Ventoux.

Porte does something with his water bottle when he stops riding for Froome - in the infamous acceleration clip. Hard to see though what Porte actually does.

Boardman Speaks up

Boardman warned the UCI of risks of bike doping

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/boardman-warned-the-uci-of-risks-of-bike-doping

from June 2010

"I sat at a meeting with the UCI last year and drew on the blackboard exactly how this might work," Boardman told the Telegraph. "I showed them some of the sophisticated boosting technology now available, mainly from F1 teams, that can get a kilowatt out of a single AAA battery."

The only sure-fire safeguard would be to X-ray every bike before the start of every race or before the start of every stage of every race. That or take every bike apart every morning which is not really feasible." .....

Cycle Chic said:
on RAI tv !! you really think Giro d'Italia would run a clip with David Cassani and 'doctor' the video

About as believable as a professional cyclist using a motor in his bike.

Mad as it sounds, I do think there is some honour left in the sport. Doping (as in using PEDs) is cheating and it is wrong, but it is still cycling. Sadly.

Using a motor changes the sport - it ceases to be cycling. It doesn't even become motor cycling, but Whacky Races. What would be next? A sneaky soigneur atop a cliff with a lever and a boulder? There would be no omerta when it comes to motorized bikes. They'd be calling it out left, right and centre.

And if, big if, Team Sky were to mess around with a motor to win a GT, it most assuredly would not be with Chris Froome. He did not come up through British Cycling. Isn't really seen to be British (sure we'll take him, but don't expect a knighthood). Isn't even the shortest odds cyclist in the running for SPOTY this year. It would be one of those track darlings - Kennaugh, Thomas...

As a cheeky aside, the whole motorized bike argument does make me think of Bradley Wiggins' magic bike parking in Trentino, where the bike rolled to the side of the road and nested snugly against the rock face. Perhaps the bikes have autopilot too.... :p

Boardman admits it would be difficult to detect if a rider uses a motor-powered bike

maybe read the article from Boardman in 2010...that's 3 years ago..so it would be a lot more advanced now.

..cutting-edge technology from Formula 1 to boost the power of any battery-powered motorized system

You could use it when you are trying to establish a break or on the crux of the last climb of the day or maybe in the latter stages of a long time trial."

Froome ??

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Avoriaz said:
Using a motor changes the sport - it ceases to be cycling. It doesn't even become motor cycling, but Whacky Races. What would be next? A sneaky soigneur atop a cliff with a lever and a boulder? There would be no omerta when it comes to motorized bikes. They'd be calling it out left, right and centre....
Maybe we need a "you can do anything if you keep it under 6.8 kilo" division.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Parker said:
That's a Vandergraaf TM215. Here's what it looks like in real life. Good look hiding that on a bike:

$(KGrHqF,!ksE-oHD6vhMBP3ydGCeCw~~60_3.JPG
Those are probably build to be sold to alot of people. We can guess that if it were build for a racing team with enough money, they would be ready to pay for a more compact engine, that could be much smaller. Enough to be hide? Maybe.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
and

in this clip there is a device in the WATER BOTTLE AND BOTTLE CAGE. There are wires coming from the water bottle.

I read on one of the comments below the Cassani clip that someone had noted the water bottles on Froome, Porte and Quintanas' bikes on Ventoux.

Porte does something with his water bottle when he stops riding for Froome - in the infamous acceleration clip. Hard to see though what Porte actually does.

Keep this stuff coming, it just keeps getting funnier. :D

They roe with water bottles? who does that! It's not like they might occasionally want a drink every now and then. I don't see any explanation for having a bottle on your bike other then a motor being in it.

The only thing you can see porte do with his bottle BTW is put it back in the cage after, now this will be a stretch to believe, taking a drink! :eek:

Avoriaz said:
About as believable as a professional cyclist using a motor in his bike.

Mad as it sounds, I do think there is some honour left in the sport. Doping (as in using PEDs) is cheating and it is wrong, but it is still cycling. Sadly.

Using a motor changes the sport - it ceases to be cycling. It doesn't even become motor cycling, but Whacky Races. What would be next? A sneaky soigneur atop a cliff with a lever and a boulder? There would be no omerta when it comes to motorized bikes. They'd be calling it out left, right and centre.

Wasnt one of the original forms of doping at the tour tying strings to cars and riding in trains. In the Marathon a guy once switched halfway with his twin brother.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Cycle Chic said:
and

The fact that people STILL does not get that it was a viral marketing video, just makes me believe even less in the world :rolleyes:

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
all of the systems about at the moment are noisy as they are geared, this was what was said about cancellara bike.to make these motors you need to use neodymium magnets these are very powerful and all you would need is a piece of steel to check for them it would stick to frame if a motor was in there. we are working on one that would fit in the bottom bracket the crank spindle will have a sleeve that fits over it and become the armature and use normal ferrite magnets that would be harder to find and noiseless and deliver 500w for 1 hour.

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
drawkrb said:
... deliver 500w for 1 hour.
With what kind of battery? 500W for an hour! I don't know how that could be powered without being noticed.

You can still have motors without magnets - you just need an armature in two areas. I still believe a stepper motor is better as you can get high torque without gears, and keep the speed in sync with the normal crank RPM - and they are silent and brushless.

My thoughts have always been that a motor would never be used more than a few seconds at a time needed to break away or win a sprint. Again, I doubt they are being used, but the oversized tubes and lighter weight bikes would make a short burst motor doable.