• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Froome's Acceleration on the Bike ??

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
UCI X-Ray Machine Whereabouts

TDF 2010

UCI to introduce motor scanners for Tour de France
"From now on race service will be subject to stricter regulation in order to ensure that only equipment that has been checked at the start or finish can be used during competitions." ....

"We want to make sure that, as batteries on bikes progress, the UCI is in a position to monitor completely any usage there might be in an unfair way," UCI chief Pat McQuaid told the Associated Press.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8749048.stm

from 2011

Am I hopeful of that actually happening? The track record isn’t great. After all, it was about this time last year that all the talk of tech cheating was motors in bikes. The UCI promptly introduced, with great show and just in time for the sport’s marquee event, a mobile X-ray system designed to scan bikes for possible hidden motors.
This year? As Cyclingnews’ ace tech reporter James Huang discovered at Flanders, those scanners are long gone.

http://blogs.bicycling.com/blogs/boulderreport/2011/04/05/hydration-is-not-a-crime/

Maybe CYCLING NEWS can find out if these scanners are actually being used / in existence ?????

Cycle Chic said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eiN2vfGKhk

at 7 seconds his right hand clearly moves to the top of the hood...and again at 2.06.

Whilst I see the Froome acceleration is odd.

It doesn't appear to be a result of a motorised bike.

For me that's too far fetched.

I understand that it's technically possible.

But to orchestrate such a move requires rider, mechanicals, DS involvement.

Not seeing it.

The acceleration worries from the standpoint of not the actual increase in speed.

But there was no loss or recovery required after power increase.

The TV footage misses one part. You don't see the actual steepness of the mountain. The footage levels off the terrain. But if you actually saw Ventoux or ridden up it then you understand just what a difficult mountain it is to climb.

That's where this worries me greatly;

* 220km of high speed riding prior (yes 220km)
* Hot and dry weather conditions

Followed by Ventoux is 20+km.

To accelerate then recover. And accelerate (from Quintanta) again with little recovery as he maintains actual climbing speed was super super strange for me. Red flag. Red card.

Not even Contador / Ras did that in 2007. Each of their accelerations was followed by slowing down and a track stand. They did it from 10km out and actually got out of the saddle. edit: It doesn't flatten out and they get drafting from others riders.

Froome compared to Ras/Contador '07 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRqxW9Jyt8&sns=em

Contador/Ras actually looks normal!

Forgot motorbike I'm seeing something more clandestine.

To be honest. He rode more like Mayo rode d'huez in 2003.

del1962 said:
Catwhoorg said:
Energy density of a typical Lithium battery is 1.8 MJ/Kg.

That's the equivalent of 280 watts for an hour.

To pull 500 W for an hour takes ~1.8 Kg of battery.

Given motor efficiencies, you are going to need 2-3 Kg of battery.

So yeah, this isn't going to be used for a whole climb. Its not the motor, its the energy storage thats the issue.
Some form of Nuclear power source seems to be involved then:D
I'm thinking an antimatter reactor powered by dilithium crystals. Or egg salad. Froome probably brought back the design from one of his trips to the 24th Century.

Captain_Obvious said:
It wouldn't be difficult to use a water bottle as battery....
I'm guessing you've never seen a pro bicycle race. No pro rider ever perpetually keeps a bottle on board. They use what they want, then toss the rest to roadside. When they need another, they either call up the team car or send a domestique to fetch it.

It would be very conspicuous to ride an entire race with a waterbottle on board, especially if you never drank from it (my, but isn't that battery acid tasty stuff?).

Much more likely Froome has had his feet amputated (or maybe just the forefoot, so he can maintain some ankle flexibility) and replaced with foot-shaped Li-Ion battery packs.

thehog said:
...For me that's too far fetched....
A charitable characterization, to say the least.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
Berzin said:
The baseless innuendo has been about his doping.

Convinced he's doped to the gills? Well then, what is he taking? How is he passiing his drug tests?

I've yet to get a reply to this question. As for the motor, it's not a rumor. It's just something no one outside the small world of pro cycling knows about or has ever seen.

But it exists and it's been used by pro riders to win races.

I don't believe electric bike technology is just being used in professional circles. At Beijing Olympics the British track sprinters slaughtered the opposition. In London Olympics the sprint World records did another tumble. The technology as discussed benefits short bursts, so is going to be very useful for sprinting (and hill climb bursts), and with the acceleration it gives you, it's sayonara for the opposition (if they are not using it). The rumours at the time were that “it was like sprinting against a motorbike”, I will go along with that anecdotal. It's all gone quiet now of course as other nations and individuals will ponder the use of the electrical bike powered technology for themselves, so Dave Brailsford's Olympic legacy is still intact. For now!

Also the whole thing about gene doping is something of a red herring too. I would think that any kind of gene doping athletes at this stage in time is going to be either very dangerous or very expensive and would only be possible on one or two athletes (I could envisage that Froome may have been a potential candidate as the Tour is lucrative for the winner) but not for a whole track squad of riders in 4 – 5 different disciplines both men and women. If you want total dominance in all events and to still pronounce yourselves “clean”, like with GB track cycling over the past six years, then it is going to be much more practical and affordable to put electric motors in bikes and have technology in your wheels. And there is an old saying “if it can happen, it will happen” as most will know British cycling in association with formula 1 technology go back some way together.

.http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/understanding_the_sport/8763.html

So what of the future? Of course, if you allow it then it is not going to be the same sport any more, just a hybrid sport of cycling. It is my view, that at the moment, the vast majority of cyclists are not using electrically powered bikes.

And worthy of note all this success has been co joined with Sky sponsorship. So I would like to share with you a quote from Murdock senior's twitter feed last month. I wonder what “poor” he is referring too (still a select few), and “the only way forward”, are you sure Mr Murdock? Seems to me you lack imagination and creativity, unless you are talking about creating empires.

“Making rich poorer won't do much. Giving opportunity to poor to become rich is the only way forward. Great fortunes don't survive long” Rupert Murdock.

horsinabout said:
If you want total dominance in all events and to still pronounce yourselves “clean”, like with GB track cycling over the past six years, then it is going to be much more practical and affordable to put electric motors in bikes and have technology in your wheels.
Please clarify this. Are you accusing Chris Hoy and Victoria Pendleton of having electric motors in their bikes, or are you just saying it would be cheaper for Team GB to use electric bikes than to gene dope?

(note to Mods: I realise this question is not strictly on the topic of "Froome's
acceleration" but I would like a clarification from horsinabout's post and will
not pursue the matter in this thread regardless of her answer.)

thehog said:
Whilst I see the Froome acceleration is odd.

It doesn't appear to be a result of a motorised bike.

For me that's too far fetched.

I understand that it's technically possible.

But to orchestrate such a move requires rider, mechanicals, DS involvement.

Not seeing it.

The acceleration worries from the standpoint of not the actual increase in speed.

But there was no loss or recovery required after power increase.

The TV footage misses one part. You don't see the actual steepness of the mountain. The footage levels off the terrain. But if you actually saw Ventoux or ridden up it then you understand just what a difficult mountain it is to climb.

That's where this worries me greatly;

* 220km of high speed riding prior (yes 220km)
* Hot and dry weather conditions

Followed by Ventoux is 20+km.

To accelerate then recover. And accelerate (from Quintanta) again with little recovery as he maintains actual climbing speed was super super strange for me. Red flag. Red card.

Not even Contador / Ras did that in 2007. Each of their accelerations was followed by slowing down and a track stand. They did it from 10km out and actually got out of the saddle. edit: It doesn't flatten out and they get drafting from others riders.

Froome compared to Ras/Contador '07 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WRqxW9Jyt8&sns=em

Contador/Ras actually looks normal!

Forgot motorbike I'm seeing something more clandestine.

To be honest. He rode more like Mayo rode d'huez in 2003.

Good post Hog.

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Good post Hog.

Good post Hog.

Tailwinds, motors and 12% slower than Mayo aside.

Froome was in full genius mode, doing things that only the mega dopers have done before him.

Thus my conclusion is, Froome is dopings.

I am willing to listen to arguments that he is cleans, but I cant really think of any.

the sceptic said:
Good post Hog.

Froome was in full genius mode, doing things that only the mega dopers have done before him.

I am willing to listen to arguments that he is cleans, but I cant really think of any.
Never tested positive

the sceptic said:
Good post Hog.

Skys have a zero tolerances policys so they claim to be cleans.

But agree after watching Froome accelerations on the bikes. He is dopings.

Kerrison said its is possibles to attack in saddles because its more aerodynamics:

"There is a significant increase [in drag] when you attack out of the saddle compared to staying seated and keeping your body narrow. If you can [attack] as well in the saddle [as standing] you will get more speed for the same power because there is less drag. It's while you are accelerating that drag is more important, so if you accelerate in a streamlined position, you get up to your speed more efficiently."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/jul/15/team-sky-chris-froome-tour-de-france

Apparently this true even with a 80% tailwinds ;)

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
Good post Hog.

marginal gains, sceptic. marginal gains.
“people are paying a lot more attention to diet and nutrition,” he said. “That’s where people are getting the edge now.” He pointed out that some teams have chefs who cook with ingredients that act as natural anti-inflammatory agents to help riders recover more quickly.
that, and a culture change of course.
froome would be quickly ostracized if found to be doping.
if that's not a major deterrent, i don't know what is.
“Culturally, it’s 180 degrees from when I was racing,” Vaughters said. “If you look at it today, the people that make the decision (to dope) are quickly ostracized. It’s not accepted. It’s not what the cool kids do anymore ”
http://www.summitdaily.com/news/7821653-113/cycling-doping-danielson-team

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sniper said:
marginal gains, sceptic. marginal gains.

that, and a culture change of course.
froome would be quickly ostracized if found to be doping.
if that's not a major deterrent, i don't know what is.
http://www.summitdaily.com/news/7821653-113/cycling-doping-danielson-team

So do the cool kids hang around in the back of the peloton in the grupetto?

Dont see too man pros ostrasisng Hesjedal, Contador, Vino (last year)never mind Froome or how about Samtabrogio, Di Luca or all the 'reasoned decision' cool kids.

JV really trying hard to tell us that black is white!

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
So do the cool kids hang around in the back of the peloton in the grupetto?

Dont see too man pros ostrasisng Hesjedal, Contador, Vino (last year)never mind Froome or how about Samtabrogio, Di Luca or all the 'reasoned decision' cool kids.

JV really trying hard to tell us that black is white!
there's a core of people who've helped tackling armstrong who are now busy trying to pull whool over the fans' eyes and sell the cleanER mantra. From marginal gains to tailwind to zero tolerance.
Major BS statements such as jv's are clearcut evidence that the fans are still being lied to at every opportunity.

My hopes are on Johan to expose the hypocricy of new age cycling.