• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin cannondale

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
It is confirmed that Formolo will ride the Giro this year. With Hesjedal already confirmed to do the giro and ride for his own goals, which plan do you guys think the Garmin-Canondale will adopt at the 3weeks-race?

It's pretty dreadful start of the season for Cannondale, but Garmin had tendency to be strong late in the year for the last couple of years.

Nonetheless, it would be good to start getting noticeable results somewhere.

durtyfat said:
It is confirmed that Formolo will ride the Giro this year. With Hesjedal already confirmed to do the giro and ride for his own goals, which plan do you guys think the Garmin-Canondale will adopt at the 3weeks-race?
I think it all depends on how well the first week is going for Hesjedal. I think they will try to protect him as long as he shows promise for a top5 spot in GC. As soon as he proves to be incapable of that, it will be a stage hunting all over the place IMO.

Is Slagter going to the Giro? With Slagter, Formolo and Hesjedal, there could be a chance of providing some chaos to the hilly stages.

I don't think Formolo will contest for GC. That happens very rarely in the GT debut.

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Anderis said:
It's pretty dreadful start of the season for Cannondale, but Garmin had tendency to be strong late in the year for the last couple of years.

They could aim for the Japan Cup triple this year.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Anderis said:

Nonetheless, it would be good to start getting noticeable results somewhere.

I think it all depends on how well the first week is going for Hesjedal. I think they will try to protect him as long as he shows promise for a top5 spot in GC. As soon as he proves to be incapable of that, it will be a stage hunting all over the place IMO.

Is Slagter going to the Giro? With Slagter, Formolo and Hesjedal, there could be a chance of providing some chaos to the hilly stages.

I don't think Formolo will contest for GC. That happens very rarely in the GT debut.

Yes, but look at his first season as a neopro, in recent times only Adam Yates and Quintana had an even better first season. He really impressed me at the Tour de Suisse and the Italian NC and JV already called him a future Giro winner.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Hugo Koblet said:
I think Sagan, Moser and Demare would like a word with you.

Sorry, I was only thinking about GC prospects, I should have mentioned that.
Maybe you could call Moser at that time a GC prospect.

Mayomaniac said:
Yes, but look at his first season as a neopro, in recent times only Adam Yates and Quintana had an even better first season.
And neither of them came even close to top10 GC in their GT debuts.

The closest I can remember in recent times was Kelderman's 17th in 2013 Giro. Nieve came 12th (which turned out to be 10th after DQ of 2 riders in front) in Vuelta 2010, but he was already 26 years old, so no comparison to Formolo.

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
Anderis said:

The closest I can remember in recent times was Kelderman's 17th in 2013 Giro. Nieve came 12th (which turned out to be 10th after DQ of 2 riders in front) in Vuelta 2010, but he was already 26 years old, so no comparison to Formolo.

Quintana was working as a domestique for Valverde and Adam Yates raced his first GT already in his first season as a neopro.
I think Formolo could ride a Giro like Sebastiian Henao last year, not always with the best but top 10 in the hardest stages. But you have a point, the first GT is always a big challenge.

Anderis said:

Bardet 15th in his first Tour

Good T A start list for Garmin Cannondale

Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team

151 Ryder Hesjedal (Can)
152 Davide Formolo (Ita)
153 Nathan Haas (Aus)
154 Kristijan Koren (Slo)
155 Daniel Martin (Irl)
156 Moreno Moser (Ita)
157 Ramunas Navardauskas (Ltu)
158 Davide Villella (Ita)

The GCW said:
Good T A start list for Garmin Cannondale

Cannondale-Garmin Pro Cycling Team

151 Ryder Hesjedal (Can)
152 Davide Formolo (Ita)
153 Nathan Haas (Aus)
154 Kristijan Koren (Slo)
155 Daniel Martin (Irl)
156 Moreno Moser (Ita)
157 Ramunas Navardauskas (Ltu)
158 Davide Villella (Ita)
That would be an awesome line-up for a race with the route simillar to last year's Paris-Nice. This is pure power for hilly terrain.

Jun 9, 2014
Visit site
Stage 4 should be ideal if Martin is 100%. It'll be interesting to see how they play it, as he'll be under a lot of pressure if the team's riding mostly for him. This is a very strong line-up that could do really well if riders are allowed to seek out their own chances in breakaways.

Wow, that Cannondale team is really having a dreadful season so far. They're classified 25th in CQ teams ranking for 2015. The lowest among WT teams. Still no wins, not even really close to win on occasion. The only WT team without any WT points ATM.

Paris-Nice has gone really bad with Talansky and Slagter not being anywhere close to the top10 in GC. Well, apart from prologue, anyone from the team couldn't even come close to top10 on a single stage.

Let's see what Martin can do in T-A. He seems to be the only one who could save some WT points for the team before MSR or Catalunya, since Formolo and Hesjedal already lost quite a bit of time.

Looks like they have intentionally started the season later then everyone. Let's give them some time. Talansky rode his first race of the season, wasn't expecting much for him despite he was saying his goal is GC in PN. Hesjedal and Martin always starts pretty slow, Formolo was sick before Tirreno.

Navardauskas has a chance in MSR, last year he was eleventh and seems to be improving in sprints generally. And then there are cobbles with Langeveld as one of the favorities.

Re:

W4llenquist said:
Looks like they have intentionally started the season later then everyone. Let's give them some time. Talansky rode his first race of the season, wasn't expecting much for him despite he was saying his goal is GC in PN. Hesjedal and Martin always starts pretty slow, Formolo was sick before Tirreno.

Navardauskas has a chance in MSR, last year he was eleventh and seems to be improving in sprints generally. And then there are cobbles with Langeveld as one of the favorities.

Wishful thinking? In what time, space or dimension is Langeveld a 'favourite'? An outsider to be sure!

TRENDING THREADS