• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Garmin vs Sky 2010

Who has a better 2010?

• Team Sky

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
These teams are turning into somewhat of rivals due to the Wiggins saga. Who do you think has a better year in 2010 and why?

I have always felt Garmin (or Wigian as Brad refers to them as) was one of the most balanced teams in the peloton with a great sprinter, a team that can put a rider in the top ten at a grand tour, a team that could compete for a breakaway victory, a team full of great time trialists, and this team has done a great job developing talent over the last 3 years (Wiggins, Farrar, Martin, etc.).

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Clemson Cycling said:
These teams are turning into somewhat of rivals due to the Wiggins saga. Who do you think has a better year in 2010 and why?

I have always felt Garmin (or Wigian as Brad refers to them as) was one of the most balanced teams in the peloton with a great sprinter, a team that can put a rider in the top ten at a grand tour, a team that could compete for a breakaway victory, a team full of great time trialists, and this team has done a great job developing talent over the last 3 years (Wiggins, Farrar, Martin, etc.).

I think Garmin for the reasons you mentioned. In a thicker field of contenders at the TdF, I don't expect Wiggo to crack the top ten, but I think VDV could do it (7-10). I also think Farrar will edge Cav on more than just one sprint this year, so he will be more successful, not green jersey successful though. Does Sky even have a strong sprinter? Somebody I'm not familiar with perhaps?

I see most of Sky's success coming in the classics with riders like EBH, but Garmin will find more success in stage races, contesting the overall and stages.

Comparing them is a bit tricky. Garmin have shown some very good results over the last two years, and have a nice mix of riders as you point out. They don't however have a big classics presence, focusing on GCs and sprinting, whereas the Sky squad looks very much classics oriented.

I think Garmin will do better, but it'll be very much a question of what you like to see in a team. Garmin has a far better sprinting division, which means they'll almost certainly end up with more victories at the end of the year. But if I'd have to bank on only one of them winning a big race, i'd probably say Sky, since they have a few guys like EBH or Flecha who could potentially win a huge race, like Paris-Roubaix or something.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Comparing them is a bit tricky. Garmin have shown some very good results over the last two years, and have a nice mix of riders as you point out. They don't however have a big classics presence, focusing on GCs and sprinting, whereas the Sky squad looks very much classics oriented.
Garmin did win the Vattenfall Cyclassics last year which I acknowledge isn't the biggest classic to win but proved they could do it. I might look like an idiot with this question, but when is the last time a Sky rider won one of the bigger classics races?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Hopefully a good year for Farrar, but his competition is obviously hard. Fewer opportunities to win for a stage racer like Dan Martin. Vandevelde can place well in the tour. Wiggins may do that too. He's also riding the Giro. Potential TT victories? EBH, Gerrans and Flecha could succeed at some of the Classics also, I think, so I'll say Sky.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
Does Sky even have a strong sprinter? Somebody I'm not familiar with perhaps?
I wonder who they'll work for in the sprints. Boasson Hagen might actually be the strongest. I think Ben Swift might be worth mentioning: got that 3rd behind Cavendish and Petacchi, and ToB stage.

A

Anonymous

Clemson Cycling said:
I might look like an idiot with this question, but when is the last time a Sky rider won one of the bigger classics races?

EbH 2009 Won Gent-Wevelgem
Flecha 4th, 2nd, 6th in the last four years at paris roubaix
Gerrans last year, top ten finishes in all three ardennes classics
Hayman, last year top 10 gent wevelgem and Dwars door Vlaanderen
Lloftvist 6th Flèche Wallonne
Sutton 11th Gent wevelgem

there are a whole of riders that will be contesting the classics.. possibly the strongest classics team in the pelaton along with quick step

ImmaculateKadence said:
Does Sky even have a strong sprinter? Somebody I'm not familiar with perhaps?.

swift, sutton, henderson, vigano, downing, boassen hagen, Flecha

dimspace said:
EbH 2009 Won Gent-Wevelgem
Flecha 4th, 2nd, 6th in the last four years at paris roubaix
Gerrans last year, top ten finishes in all three ardennes classics
Hayman, last year top 10 gent wevelgem and Dwars door Vlaanderen
Lloftvist 6th Flèche Wallonne
Sutton 11th Gent wevelgem

there are a whole of riders that will be contesting the classics.. possibly the strongest classics team in the pelaton along with quick step

I think Sky are stonger for the Classics, Garmin have the stronger sprinting division, Sky have a lot of potential in this area but have to step up to the Farrar level. The GTs will be interesting for both teams so this area will probably swing which is the stonger team. I say its a tie, no slightly favour Sky I think.

dimspace said:

I wouldn't call Flecha a "strong sprinter". Definitely a strong elite level classics rider.

As far as Garmin and the classics, Martin Maaskant has to be one the most talented young classics riders out there. He had a bad season last year but if I'm not mistaken he finished 4th in Paris-Roubaix in I believe 2008.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
I wonder who they'll work for in the sprints. Boasson Hagen might actually be the strongest. I think Ben Swift might be worth mentioning: got that 3rd behind Cavendish and Petacchi, and ToB stage.

I have no idea. Swift is a possibility, but I wonder how much he'll focus on the road after his Track aspirations.

dimspace said:

I don't see either one of the guys mentioned being able to best Cavendish, Farrar, or Hushovd in the last 100 meters.

A

Anonymous

ImmaculateKadence said:
I don't see either one of the guys mentioned being able to best Cavendish, Farrar, or Hushovd in the last 100 meters.

I dont see a cyclist in the world capable of beating cavendish over the last 100 metres..

the rest are fighting for second this year.. although i think free from the shackles greg henderson might show something this season for sky.

I would love to see how good mark renshaw could be without having to work for cav.. although obviously hes not very good at the moment. will be very interesting to see when his contract is up how many teams go for him.. i dont know how many years he is on..

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
I dont see a cyclist in the world capable of beating cavendish over the last 100 metres..

the rest are fighting for second this year.. although i think free from the shackles greg henderson might show something this season for sky.

I would love to see how good mark renshaw could be without having to work for cav.. although obviously hes not very good at the moment. will be very interesting to see when his contract is up how many teams go for him.. i dont know how many years he is on..

If Farrar continues his form from late last year, they will all be fighting for third.

As for Renshaw, I totally agree.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
New Team glitches

I know BC leave nothing to chance but I think you have to apply a discount to their prospects because its their first year. It's entirely conceivable that they will have a few teething problems particularly with throwing 70 odd people together even if a lot of the core have worked together before. I think that might give Garmin an edge.

ImmaculateKadence said:
I have no idea. Swift is a possibility, but I wonder how much he'll focus on the road after his Track aspirations.

EBH beat Farrar last year at Eneco Tour in a bunch sprint, and was at the podium in 4 out of the 5 stages that ended in a bunch sprint.

He probably won't be able to beat Cavendish, but he can certainly beat Hushovd and Farrar.

Moondance said:

I think Garmin will do better, but it'll be very much a question of what you like to see in a team. Garmin has a far better sprinting division, which means they'll almost certainly end up with more victories at the end of the year. But if I'd have to bank on only one of them winning a big race, i'd probably say Sky, since they have a few guys like EBH or Flecha who could potentially win a huge race, like Paris-Roubaix or something.

I think you're underestimating Martijn Maaskant and Johan Van Summeren.

The first was fourth two years ago in Paris-Roubaix and this year he was unlucky, chrashing during a time when the race was "hot". The other was fifth on 2008 and 2009 Paris-Roubaix. So, at least, for the cobble classics Garmin has capable riders. Maybe they lack quality for the Ardennes Classics.

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I think everyone is spot on. Sky will win a classic, and Garmin will put someone like VDV in the top 10 at a GT. But I think if you go on pure class and style, Sky's win of a classic will be much bigger than Garmin's top 10.

I'm rooting for Garmin, but I have no idea which team will do better. Cervelo did more than OK for a 1st year team last year, no reason to believe that Sky will have teething troubles.

I just want some Garmin-Sky talking/finger pointing along the lines of last year's Garmin-Columbia 'Hincapie Incident.' If we get that, everything else is gravy.

I think just by what I've seen in the mentality in the team and the level of professionalism in the whole operation alot of riders in Team Sky will perform well above what they have done before. I'm expecting them to be visible and fighting for top spots in viturally every race next yera sort of like Cervélo did in 2009. Cervélo were always present and did something in each race even when they didn't end up winning.

I'm expecting Sky to be the type of team that makes things happen rather than sitting back and waiting for things to unfold. Just from the fact that Team Sky have quite a few riders that are primarily sprinters means that they will pick up alot of wins in smaller races and stages. I don't think any other team has as many good sprinters as Team Sky except perhaps of course Columbia.

Garmin on the other hand is often a team that does sit back and wait for others to take control. They don't have as wide a roster as well so they have to rely on slightly fewer riders to make the results for them.

ingsve said:
I think just by what I've seen in the mentality in the team and the level of professionalism in the whole operation alot of riders in Team Sky will perform well above what they have done before. I'm expecting them to be visible and fighting for top spots in viturally every race next yera sort of like Cervélo did in 2009. Cervélo were always present and did something in each race even when they didn't end up winning.

I'm expecting Sky to be the type of team that makes things happen rather than sitting back and waiting for things to unfold. Just from the fact that Team Sky have quite a few riders that are primarily sprinters means that they will pick up alot of wins in smaller races and stages. I don't think any other team has as many good sprinters as Team Sky except perhaps of course Columbia.

Garmin on the other hand is often a team that does sit back and wait for others to take control. They don't have as wide a roster as well so they have to rely on slightly fewer riders to make the results for them.

I agree that Sky have more potential winners, if Farrar doesnt perform like last season. Garmin will not take that many victories.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
farrar didnt actually win that much last year, a stage in tirreno, 3 in an august stage race (forget which), vattenfall, and a stage in the vuelta. that isn't going to get him the 2nd best sprinter in the peloton is it? He's too happy sitting in Cavs slipstream (with the exception of tirreno which was a great win.

sky will be better, weill win the odd week long stage race (lofkvist, augustyn, froome), the odd classic in both flemish and ardennes, and also sprints

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Towards the end of the season he had multiple stages at the Eneco tour and a win from Gilbert at the Vuelta (before Gilbert won Paris-Tours and everything else). Also he was able to beat Cavendish and Petacchi in the Hamburg Cyclassics, and I think that was a straightforward finish. He was third on the Champs-Elysees (admittedly by a mile) He's one of the best sprinters.

A

Anonymous

oh is 2010 finally going to be the year of Tommy D :D

I think what will be interesting for sky is how they go deciding which race certain riders do, etc. All this computer analysis is beyond me, but databases of riders races, how they have performed for years, maybe teres something in it and hte computer will tell them exactly which rider should race where to win. i dunno..

Personally i hope they both do well next year, im a big fan of garmin, and as a brit a big fan of sky..

lets go back to astana and RS being the bad guys ey.. ;)

TRENDING THREADS