• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Geert Leinders

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the big ring said:
Someone mentioned in another thread that Kerrison and Leindeers probably weren't running the "program", that it would be someone we'd never heard of before.

To be honest, this Fabio guy needs his own thread.

Cervelo test team 2009/2010
Team Sky 2011/2012

He probably does.

The problem with the Sky thread is that its so brilliant that all other threads seem weak in comparison,it contains a veritable mine of information,a truly exhaustive account of the next Festina/Puerto in real-time.Its like a successful tv show with some weaker spin-offs.The Sky thread started,now Leinders has his own show,Kerrison has his,Wiggins and Froome have several.Its the gift that keeps on giving! :D

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
Telmisartan new said:
He probably does.

The problem with the Sky thread is that its so brilliant that all other threads seem weak in comparison,it contains a veritable mine of information,a truly exhaustive account of the next Festina/Puerto in real-time.Its like a successful tv show with some weaker spin-offs.The Sky thread started,now Leinders has his own show,Kerrison has his,Wiggins and Froome have several.Its the gift that keeps on giving! :D

As a metaphor connoiseur, I am rasing a virtual goblet to your effort, my good sir / madam. Chapeau.

If the Internet was as prevalent in 1998 as it is now, I truly believe cycling would be in a much, much better place. Assuming the desire for clean cycling (my assumption of motive) in contributors here and now is not a new phenomenon. Bassons' example tells me it is not.

the big ring said:
As a metaphor connoiseur, I am rasing a virtual goblet to your effort, my good sir / madam. Chapeau.

If the Internet was as prevalent in 1998 as it is now, I truly believe cycling would be in a much, much better place. Assuming the desire for clean cycling (my assumption of motive) in contributors here and now is not a new phenomenon. Bassons' example tells me it is not.

Ha ha! Its sir and cheers.

The sport undoubtedly would be in a better place with an earlier advent of the interweb.Interesting point.Its definitely not a new phenomenon (Bassons is perfect example) and i don't buy this garbage some people spout about The Clinic being full of sad demented conspiracy theorists.We come here to post stuff because of an intrinsic love of the sport.I agree totally,a desire for clean cycling. This place is a force for good over evil,its that simple,if questions aren't asked,then people go unchallenged.David Brailsford anyone?

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
JRanton said:
Geert has been ditched.

Which is, of course, effectively an admission that he was as dodgy as hell, something that they must have been aware of when they employed him.

It really does look as though the arrogance of Brailsford and Sky was so great that they thought they would get away with paying for his 'expertise' without anyone questioning what they were up to.

gooner said:
I don't believe for one minute they did'nt know his past when they hired him and are only doing this now because they are backed into a corner and to save face from a PR point of view.

Probably. If I had the chance to ask Brailsford only one question, then it would be to ask him whether or not Leinders accompanied the 'A team' to Tenerife. We know he was the race doctor at Paris-Nice, Romandie and the Dauphine and if it emerged that he was also with the 'A team' in their pre-Tour training camps out in Tenerife then it really doesn't look good.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Robert21 said:
Which is, of course, effectively an admission that he was as dodgy as hell, something that they must have been aware of when they employed him.

It really does look as though the arrogance of Brailsford and Sky was so great that they thought they would get away with paying for his 'expertise' without anyone questioning what they were up to.

At least Brailsford's message is rather clear: please move along folks, as gently and quietly as possible. nothing to see here.

This is good. But Armstrong fired Ferrari in 2002 or 04 did he not? Bound never to work with him again?

I shouldn’t laugh but I do think this is a good thing. Not that I think for a minute that he is actually providing any services.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
This is good. But Armstrong fired Ferrari in 2002 or 04 did he not? Bound never to work with him again?

I shouldn’t laugh but I do think this is a good thing. Not that I think for a minute that he is actually providing any services.

indeed.
also reminiscent of how Garmin conveniently 'got ridd of' Matt White.
Who cares they continue to be close neighbours. Nothing to see there.

The fact that the hiring of Leinders was not made public till approximately 1.5 years after the actual happening is very dodgy and in my opinion a very strong indicator that Sky must've known his past employment (not that it was rocket science to find out about it).

Will be interesting to see if they are suddenly announcing that Chris Carmichael has worked for the team for the past year in 2014.

Arnout said:
The fact that the hiring of Leinders was not made public till approximately 1.5 years after the actual happening is very dodgy and in my opinion a very strong indicator that Sky must've known his past employment (not that it was rocket science to find out about it).

Will be interesting to see if they are suddenly announcing that Chris Carmichael has worked for the team for the past year in 2014.
He didn't even make it on the t-shirt. Poor guy.

AyZ_RC-CcAMclUa.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
A joke, a total joke!

When employing someone most people ask for references.

So what kind of references did Leinder's provide?

Did they trust his references or as they were spending millions did they make sure they were hiring the right guy for the job?

Hmmmm it stinks.

I bet he is still working with Sky unless as Hog pointed out about Ferarri and Wiggins, that Ferarri has agreed to meet A-Team for a holiday in Tenerife next year:rolleyes:

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Arnout said:

that's because he was working for Sky as a freelancer.
only called upon in cases of severe saddle sore.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Robert21 said:

The sad/amazing part is, they nearly did - it wasn't until De Rooy came out and someone sharp eyed spotted Leinders as being with Sky.

But - yes, its a non admission admission.
Expect it to be spun as "zero tolerance to anyone associated with doping in the past" - a good week to bury bad news.

sniper said:
indeed.
also reminiscent of how Garmin conveniently 'got ridd of' Matt White.
Who cares they continue to be close neighbours. Nothing to see there.
White lives in Valencia - but please continue - JV Garmin IsM etc

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Does Leinders departure mean we can now turn our attention to motoman's BFF? That guy who was riding with Motorola in the mid 90s......don't think they were choir boys, so how does Yates fit with the Sky philosophy of nobody associated with doping working with the team?

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
sniper said:
...he was working for Sky as a freelancer. only called upon in cases of severe saddle sore.

I thought that Brailsford hired him mainly because he was they only person they could find with the necessary knowledge to stop people on the team dropping dead:

When Gonzalez was taken to hospital, Brailsford and another of Team Sky’s doctors, Dr Richard Freeman, flew from Liverpool to Spain. When they landed, Brailsford switched on his phone to the news Gonzalez had died.

“When someone dies on your team and you feel you’re putting riders at risk… for all we knew the riders could have had the same thing.

“We sat down and realised that as a group of people we did not know enough about looking after people in extreme heat, with extreme fatigue. We were making calls like ‘no, on you go mate’.”

...Brailsford’s search for doctors with experience in professional cycling was a frustrating one. Finding experienced, respected doctors with detailed knowledge of the demands placed on athletes by events like the Tour de France who had not worked for professional cycling teams was, Brailsford said, not easy. Dr Leinders came highly recommended.

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/news-a...ses-doctor-dilemma-we-are-100-per-cent-clean/

I guess that this means that Brailsford has decided that 'PR' is more important than safeguarding the lives of his team...

Robert21 said:
I thought that Brailsford hired him mainly because he was they only person they could find with the necessary knowledge to stop people on the team dropping dead:

http://www.cyclesportmag.com/news-a...ses-doctor-dilemma-we-are-100-per-cent-clean/

I guess that this means that Brailsford has decided that 'PR' is more important than safeguarding the lives of his team...

He was hired for 80 days and has never attened a Grand Tour for Sky.

Who saves lives the rest of the year when he's not around?

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
White lives in Valencia

So let me get this straight: whilst Matt apparently continues to buy candies from uncle Luis in Valencia, Mark Quod is working for both Matt and Johnathan?

Nothing to see here indeed.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
the big ring said:
He was only contracted, right? Can't Brailsford just say - his contract has ended, who he is and what he may or may not have done is now in the past and out of our hands?

:D

The investigation has now concluded and a Sky spokesperson confirmed to Cyclingnews that Leinders would not work with the team in the future. Sky would not confirm why Leinders had not been offered a contract for the future.

Brailsford is too busy to make the statement himself. Spokespeople don't know much beyond what they're told to say, so any questions would be rebuffed.

We have no doubts about his work with us or approach.

"Never tested positive."

Robert21 said:

Thanks for posting that. Everybody needed to be reminded of how disgunstingly Brailsford played this.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
sniper said:
So let me get this straight: whilst Matt apparently continues to buy candies from uncle Luis in Valencia, Mark Quod is working for both Matt and Johnathan?

Nothing to see here indeed.

No, Matt lives in Valencia, he has throughout most of his career.
The rest is just your usual irrelevant obsessive drivel on JV and Garmin, that has nothing to do with this thread.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
No, Matt lives in Valencia, he has throughout most of his career.
The rest is just your usual irrelevant obsessive drivel on JV and Garmin, that has nothing to do with this thread.

JV is on the record more than once stating Sky is clean. Who's driveling?

EDIT: my initial point (that Sky dissing Leinders is reminiscent of how Garmin dissed White) was on topic. your response to it was off topic.
please remain on topic next time.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
sniper said:
JV is on the record more than once stating Sky is clean. Who's driveling?

Must have missed that. Where has JV said Sky is clean?

This is not the right thread for this line, so maybe this can be continued in the JV thread.

Man are all you guys bitter. You wanted him to fire Lienders so he fired him and now you moan that he listened to you.

He has just fired the 1 guy on the team with a dodgy history. How can yall spin this as anything but a 0 tolerance approach to doping :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS