• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General Doping Thread.

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Zivile Balciunaite from Lithuania who won the European championchip in marathon has gotten a 2 year suspenion and will miss the Olympics. The suspension was from the local authorities, and she as tested positive for too much Testosterone.

Interesting article about the prevalence of blood doping in athletics

According to the research of the Lausanne lab, based on blood samples collected since 2001, up to 14% of all samples would be flagged as positive by cycling's biological passport system. Most samples belonged to long-distance runners.

Even more interesting is that the percentage of suspicious profiles varies wildly from one country to another. Up to 48% of samples from one country would be flagged as positive, while others go up to 39% or 23%. The article suggests the dirtiest countries are Russia, Morocco, France and Spain.

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

According to the research of the Lausanne lab, based on blood samples collected since 2001, up to 14% of all samples would be flagged as positive by cycling's biological passport system. Most samples belonged to long-distance runners.

Even more interesting is that the percentage of suspicious profiles varies wildly from one country to another. Up to 48% of samples from one country would be flagged as positive, while others go up to 39% or 23%. The article suggests the dirtiest countries are Russia, Morocco, France and Spain.
The cynic inside me is having a field day :(

Maybe the way they are cutting costs of testing is testing a batch of 20 samples together or more, just like apples (I know they do this when you donate blood). If the batch is clean than that's it but if it comes up with something then they do individual tests.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

The study:
http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content/full/57/5/762

A nice little table:
http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/content-nw/full/57/5/762/T2

Tyler'sTwin said:
I think this might be SARMs. They have been rumoured to be responsible for the "golden" era of sprinting we're currently experiencing.

Interesting stuff. Can you give some more info on the rumours about SARM and the sprinter teams because this is something I've suspected but this is the first I've heard about it.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Interesting stuff. Can you give some more info on the rumours about SARM and the sprinter teams because this is something I've suspected but this is the first I've heard about it.

There were apparently rumours about SARMs in Berlin -09. I don't remember the media source, but the info stayed with me. I think it was a specific SARM, Ostarine, that was mentioned.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
for what it's worth, from the inside, a summary of talks on the radio:

Michel Wuyts (Belgian commentator) said that he spoke with a team doctor in the TdF, who wanted to remain anonymous, and said that he (the doctor) was convinced up till last year there were blood transfusion. He isn't so sure this year.

Wuyts however, he affirms what many seem to believe, says that the top contenders are still preparing for the races with the help of their doctors, seeking the edge inside the current limits.

Big gaps are most likely from the past; it will be a game of seconds, not minutes anymore.

Calculated riding is a consequence of this, because 'they start with x amount of fuel' and they know when they are running on empty. So they can't push themselves beyond a certain point if they want to survive and remain competitive till the end.

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Have not been following the forums today so sorry if this was already posted, a journalist asking teams how many TUE's they have (used in 2014) ...

B3hEpgZIMAA132m.jpg

Movistar, Tinkoff, Cannonade, CCC, AG2R, Topsport, Bardiani, Bretagne, Caja Rujal, Androni, MTN, Neri Sottoli, Cofidis all gave no response.

Classic response from Astana :D

May 19, 2010
Visit site
deValtos said:
Have not been following the forums today so sorry if this was already posted, a journalist asking teams how many TUE's they have (used in 2014) ...

B3hEpgZIMAA132m.jpg

Movistar, Tinkoff, Cannonade, CCC, AG2R, Topsport, Bardiani, Bretagne, Caja Rujal, Androni, MTN, Neri Sottoli, Cofidis all gave no response.

Classic response from Astana :D

Good one. Europcar not so much better. "We haven't got anything to say to you about that." Maybe MPCC should update them on how to handle such questions.

neineinei said:
Good one. Europcar not so much better. "We haven't got anything to say to you about that." Maybe MPCC should update them on how to handle such questions.
Lampre are probably the worst of the lot - 'there are better things to talk about, sprinters, climbers, blah, blah, blah" - if you don't want to answer, keep it simple.

BMC probably did the best 'not telling you' answer.