• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 125 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
on his website it mentions a successful operation - pin inserted into his thigh.
He will be in hospital a few days, and must rest for 10 days before rehabilitation can begin.

They also mentioned he may have fallen due to the wet.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
They also mentioned he may have fallen due to the wet.

Yes, but Breuking is also quoted saying that Gesink does not remember the fall precisely. It's a very cycling-like thing to do, only talk about the apparent injuries, not the possible but more hidden head injuries. Whoever let Boonen back on the bike with a heavy concussion during the tour should be fired as a doctor. Gesink probably hit his head pretty hard too if he doesn't remember the fall. He should be taking rest for that alone. (Luckily he has to take rest because of the surgery, I doubt if they would have put him on rest if he only has that the amnesia symptom.)

(PS I just wonder whether they would have put Karsten Kroon back on his bike after his recent Vuelta crash if he hadn't broke his arm. Even on video you can see he's clearly disorientated and dizzy. That would have been very dangerous, but I think it's not improbable that they would've tried to put him back on his bike.)

WillemS said:
Yes, but Breuking is also quoted saying that Gesink does not remember the fall precisely. It's a very cycling-like thing to do, only talk about the apparent injuries, not the possible but more hidden head injuries. Whoever let Boonen back on the bike with a heavy concussion during the tour should be fired as a doctor. Gesink probably hit his head pretty hard too if he doesn't remember the fall. He should be taking rest for that alone. (Luckily he has to take rest because of the surgery, I doubt if they would have put him on rest if he only has that the amnesia symptom.)
Him not remembering the fall is BS, don't know where you got that from. He had to avoid a car and his front wheel slipped. And he called an ambulance himself.

Also, the man is called Breukink.

Kensuke said:
Does Gesink can participe Giro di Lombardia ? Any chance ?
Absolutely no chance. This type of injury takes a very long recovery, at least 5 months before you are back to a decent level. Erik Dekker had the same thing and he never completely recovered.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Hmm? Erik Dekker won Paris Tours after that and also had his best LBL race + result after that

I daresay Dekker LBL 2004 was stronger than any Dekker, even 2000/2001 Dekker, he could never do that well in hilly classics before (San Sebastian is ofcourse a level or 2 lower)
Nah, the Dekker who won three stages in one Tour, we haven't seen him again. He was still a very good rider obviously.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Him not remembering the fall is BS, don't know where you got that from. He had to avoid a car and his front wheel slipped. And he called an ambulance himself.

Also, the man is called Breukink.

Absolutely no chance. This type of injury takes a very long recovery, at least 5 months before you are back to a decent level. Erik Dekker had the same thing and he never completely recovered.

I would put a big emphasis on at least 5 months. Obviously I don't know the full diagnosis and severity of the injury but tha sounds pretty darn serious which makes me think it could be longer.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I would put a big emphasis on at least 5 months. Obviously I don't know the full diagnosis and severity of the injury but tha sounds pretty darn serious which makes me think it could be longer.

Plus a femur if done right can kill you it not from the artery from a clot. Glad the guy is on the mend

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
it is a pretty bad injury i agree. I suspect the first half of his season could already be ruined (struggle to prep properly etc)... hopefully he gets back to his best at some point.

Breukink is certainly no king :eek:

Gesink himself says he will be out for 6 months for sure.

So that means no ardennes classics.. he'll be back on the bike in march but that's too less time.
Might just make it to the Tour in good form though.. begin cycling in march, start tour prep in may, ride dauphine or suisse and hope for the best.
Or focus on the Vuelta / Worlds straight away.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
Gesink himself says he will be out for 6 months for sure.

So that means no ardennes classics.. he'll be back on the bike in march but that's too less time.
Might just make it to the Tour in good form though.. begin cycling in march, start tour prep in may, ride dauphine or suisse and hope for the best.
Or focus on the Vuelta / Worlds straight away.
That's not what he says. He needs 6 months to be back to a decent level, not 6 months without any racing at all.

Coming cyclocross season will be Zdenek Stybar's last full cyclocross season. Then he will ride only 5-10 cyclocross races per season only to prepare himself for the classics. A little bit like Lars Boom.

Zaschrona said:
Coming cyclocross season will be Zdenek Stybar's last full cyclocross season. Then he will ride only 5-10 cyclocross races per season only to prepare himself for the classics. A little bit like Lars Boom.

Hmm, Boom took a season to get used to the length. Well he didn't ride the classics in 09 but the 2010 campaign was experience. Wonder how Stybar will get on.
He hasn't raced that many days this year considering the hoo-ha about him joining QuickStep.

luckyboy said:
Hmm, Boom took a season to get used to the length. Well he didn't ride the classics in 09 but the 2010 campaign was experience. Wonder how Stybar will get on.
He hasn't raced that many days this year considering the hoo-ha about him joining QuickStep.
I think Stybar will do better than Boom in his first classics season. He's more disciplined, and more likely to do long distance training.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
I think Stybar will do better than Boom in his first classics season. He's more disciplined, and more likely to do long distance training.

He impressed me this year. Sone if his results I'n his debut season were quite good at a high level.

Nielsa said:
Tour of Norway gets 2.1 status for 2012. 5 stages, provisionally scheduled for 16-20th May, though the organizers want to change that.

http://www.wielerland.nl/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18667&Itemid=36

Won't take place in the fjord/mountain areas, so it won't be something to watch for the nature.

It was still a very attractive-looking race this year, though the parcours wasn't especially challenging. Norway is still a beautiful country more or less anywhere you go. I'm still hoping for the finish with a circuit going up and down the hills at Holmenkollen/Vinterpark Tryvann. You could make such a good race, and the organisers were aiming for 2.1 status, and I'm glad they've got it.

A lot like a few other races, they need to develop the race's acceptance with fans before they can really go to the mountains - but they could certainly put in a few short, sharp climbs to keep racing interest high.