• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 199 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
will10 said:
The Euskaltel hate on this board is getting tiresome. Nieve, Izagirre and Txurruka are more than good enough to animate the race. Nieve was 10th and won the queen stage FFS.

Sometimes I get the impression that some just don't know anything about most riders on that squad, they just see a list of Spanish names, no Sammy Sanchez or Anton, and assume they must all be rubbish.

Yeh because in 99% of those races those riders who people dont know dont do anything.
To be honest for a protour team, Euskaltel are not competitive in enough races and that is something that though I like the team, is difficult to argue against.

Froome19 said:
Yeh because in 99% of those races those riders who people dont know dont do anything.
To be honest for a protour team, Euskaltel are not competitive in enough races and that is something that though I like the team, is difficult to argue against.

Did Euskaltel win the queen stage and the Zoncolan stage last year? Is one of the winners in the team this year? If so, they deserve a spot in the Giro.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
TBH some other teams are going to send laughable squads to the Giro and noone's going to question their WT-worthiness.

Radioschleck will sent everyone to the Tour, Rabo will do the same.

Also GE and Lotto have very shallow squads for GTs and will be weak in the races that Goss/Greipel don't ride.

Mar 26, 2009
www.ciclismo-espresso.com
On Rai's Radiocorsa program they mentioned that as a team manager told them, Nibali has already a signed contract with Astana for 2013 and 2014 for roughly 2.5 millions each year.

They even mentioned that the main reason for Gilbert under performance according to some other rumors he is having some personal problems (but didnt want to say of what kind).

taiwan said:
TBH some other teams are going to send laughable squads to the Giro and noone's going to question their WT-worthiness.
Maybe, although "laughable" on this forum is mostly "I don't know any of these guys" or "these guys aren't climbers". In a stage race there's always the possibility to go stage hunting, or bunch sprinting.

But when your team is absolutely unsuited to an entire genre of races, which make up a significant part of the WT season, what's the point of being in the WT?

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
... when your team is absolutely unsuited to an entire genre of races, which make up a significant part of the WT season, what's the point of being in the WT?

As I added below, Greenedge's best GC riders are Meyer, Weening and Albasini. You could call the GC equivalent to a genre of races.

I think the sentiment is true that a genuinely interesting new climber like Nieve is worth quite a lot when you look at the people other teams are tarting up for GC.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
It's hard to do worse than GreenEdge or Rabo will do anyway.
Rabo will suprise many, but thats for another day
Libertine Seguros said:
Yes, but this is a race they can bring something to.

Paris-Roubaix, however? That isn't.
I never said they shouldnt be in the giro, they will certainly light up the Giro and imo should be in every single GT as they make every single one exciting using limited resources, getting wildcards for at least 2 if not 3 shouldnt be hard. This post sums it up perfectly..
killswitch said:
:confused: It is good enough.

That Euskaltel should not be at the cobbled classics is another topic...

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
taiwan said:
As I added below, Greenedge's best GC riders are Meyer, Weening and Albasini. You could call the GC equivalent to a genre of races.

I think the sentiment is true that a genuinely interesting new climber like Nieve is worth quite a lot when you look at the people other teams are tarting up for GC.

Yeh but even so, GE will have riders who will influence those races just not necessarily on GC whilst Euskaltel have no one who will do a thing in a lot of races.

taiwan said:

We've just had a stage race in Italy where they won a stage and ended up 10th on GC with one of these guys... you could do worse, I'd say.

And once again, GC riding is not the only possibility in a stage race.

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
theyoungest said:
We've just had a stage race in Italy where they won a stage and ended up 10th on GC with one of these guys... you could do worse, I'd say.

And once again, GC riding is not the only possibility in a stage race.

TBH they could do worse but I doubt they can do much better (except for Pologne/Eneco)

theyoungest said:
So you agree that maybe they don't belong in the WT? Because it requires them to be pack fodder in Flanders.

The problem is, they need that WT licence to get to all the races they can light up. It's a problem with the WT. I've long maintained that each team should have the right to "opt out" of WT races, but if they want to be there they should be guaranteed a spot. Basically, just like with Euskaltel and FDJ handing back their Giro invites in 2010. Teams would still have to fight for the UCI points; but a team like Euskaltel aren't sacrificing any points by opting out of, say, Gent-Wevelgem, E3 and Roubaix (I know the Izagirre brothers like de Ronde, even though they're about as good as you might expect from a Basque at it... still, Txente García would traditionally go in the break of the day!), just as a team GreenEdge might look at their roster and opt out of, say, Lombardia or País Vasco (having said that they'll now top 10 it thanks to the boring route of this year's edition of course).

Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Did Saxo win the overall the points and 2 stages last year ?

Does that mean they have to be invited this year regardless of the squad?

Yes, difference being that the winner of the queen stage is in Euskaltel's squad, while Saxo couldn't really bring much to the Giro?