• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 201 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Anybody reported yet that Taarmaë has been diagnosed with pfeiffer's disease? (mononucleosis)

He'll ride no races the coming period and it could take a while before he's fully recovered from it. Usually riders with mono are out for 1 year
Really sad news. With some luck, he could be back for the TDF, but I doubt it. In my view he was the favourite for the white jersey.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
I remember when Mollema had mono at the beginning of the year, he only rode a few races in the end of the season after that and it took him another year to get back to a good level.
Cunego was off for 2 seasons as well.
Then again, Taaramae could still finish Paris-Nice. Maybe Mollema was a little worse off, he had to abandon in Castilla y Leon or suchlike.

theyoungest said:
Then again, Taaramae could still finish Paris-Nice. Maybe Mollema was a little worse off, he had to abandon in Castilla y Leon or suchlike.

from his blog (roughly translated by google translator & myself):

"Fortunately mononucleosis is a disease with which you don't have to stay in bed or in hospital. [...] I will go to Estonia and stay at home for about a month. However, I will continue to ride my bike, but reasonably, just an hour or two a day. Apparently the virus is not as hard, as it was the case with some collegues. My teammate Rudy Mollard for example suffered a virus infection in december and was a living corpse till march, even the eyes were hurting. Me, I still finished Paris-Nice (after already having got the infection before). [...] So it's a so called light version. Apparently this is the case because I had some antibodies present in my body for already having had the virus in the past. [...] Do not worry, suffering from a virus like that isn't the best start of the season, but I've already finished four races and stepped on the podium five times. [...] A month of calmness and then I start the preparation for my new goal, the Tour de France. Ther'll surely be enough time to reach peak form till july. One day I'll be glad that everything went the way it did."

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
theyoungest said:

the worse the pfeiffer is the earlier it's gone and you are recovered from it

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
search said:
from his blog (roughly translated by google translator & myself):

He sounds very positive so hopefully he'll recover from it in soon. Another Estonian Tanel Kangert (Astana) also suffers from mononucleosis. He has struggled with it since November but thankfully is getting better. Making his first start of the season tomorrow in Settimana internazionale di Coppi e Bartali.

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
TeoSheva said:
Sky has changed the lineups for the Criterium

Chris Froome, Thomas Löfkvist, Lars-Petter Nordhaug, Salvatore Puccio, Michael Rogers, Luke Rowe

so Rogers is here, much better for him that the Volta...

And Henao and Swift out.

Also, Dwars door Vlaanderen down to six. Cavendish in, and Flecha, Eisel, Hayman, Stannard not on the list. Got to assume that can't all be true. Flecha definitely out until Flanders though.

They are in a bit of a mess at the moment.