• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

General News Thread

Page 299 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Provisional Portuguese calendar for 2014, from jornalciclismo:

16/2 - Prova de Abertura
19/2-23/2 - Volta ao Algarve (2.1)
16/3 - Volta à Bairrada
26/3-30/3 - Volta ao Alentejo/GP Crédito Agricola-Costa Azul (2.2)
05/4-06/4 - GP da Maia
13/4 - Clássica da Primavera
25/4-27/4 GP Liberty Seguros-Volta às Terras de Santa Maria
18/5 (Taça de Portugal) - Clássica de Amarante
23/5 - Challenge de Tavira
24/5 (Taça de Portugal) - Restaurante Alpendre
25/5 - Challenge de Loulé
29/5-01/6 - GP Jornal de Noticias
08/6-10/6 - GP Abimota-Região de Aveiro
14/6 (Taça de Portugal) - Troféu Concelho de Oliveira de Azeméis
15/6 (Taça de Portugal) - Memorial Bruno Neves
22/6 (Taça de Portugal) - Clássica de Albergaria
27/6-29/6 - Campeonatos Nacionais (Pataias)
05/7-06/7 - Volta ao Minho
10/7-13/7 - Troféu Joaquim Agostinho-GP Torres Vedras (2.2)
17/7-20/7 - Volta a Portugal do Futuro (2.2U)
30/7-10/8 - Volta a Portugal em Bicicleta (2.1)
15/8 - GP de Mortágua
Taça Nacional de Circuitos
16/8 - Circuito da Curia
17/8 - Circuito da Malveira
18/8 - Circuito de Nafarros
20/8 - Circuito de São Bernardo
25/8 - Circuito da Moita
30/8 - ?
31/8 - ?
06/9 - Circuito do Cartaxo
07/9 - ?

27/9 - Subida à Glória-Lisboa
04/10 - Pro Cycling Marathon (1.1)

- Pataias AGAIN for the nationals? Damnit.
- the GP Liberty Seguros is around Santamaria da Feira, home of the amateur team. It usually features a stage which is intermediate at least, around somewhere like Vale de Cambra or Arouca.
- the GP Jornal de Noticias is around the Porto area. The last stage last year went from Viana do Castelo to end on Avenida dos Aliados for a dramatic end.
- The Volta ao Minho is likely to have a Criterium International format, and should be at least moderately hilly.
- The Subida a Glória is a very, very short ITT up a very steep hill in Lisboa, that is the home of one of the famous funiculars.
- The Pro Cycling Marathon is a 40km standalone TTT between Cascais and Lisboa which will have UCI categorisation for next year.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
This is pretty bad... but I did not know that Matthieu Sprick suffered a stroke! Was this not in the media or did I not pay attention?!

(Probably the latter?)

It's being reported on twitter that Arnaud Coyot, former Cofidis, Unibet, Caisse d'Epargne and Sojasun rider who retired at the end of the 2012 season, has been killed in a car accident today at the age of 33.

Arnaud was a strong domestique who raced in two Vueltas and four Tours de France in a decade-long career from 2002 to 2012, and while he may have left the cycling world behind he still has many friends and former colleagues in the bunch. And 33 is no age to die, really, so all hopes and thoughts to his family and friends.

Libertine Seguros said:
It's being reported on twitter that Arnaud Coyot, former Cofidis, Unibet, Caisse d'Epargne and Sojasun rider who retired at the end of the 2012 season, has been killed in a car accident today at the age of 33.

Arnaud was a strong domestique who raced in two Vueltas and four Tours de France in a decade-long career from 2002 to 2012, and while he may have left the cycling world behind he still has many friends and former colleagues in the bunch. And 33 is no age to die, really, so all hopes and thoughts to his family and friends.

Nooo that's terrible :( :mad:

I read about the accident earlier today... I hoped he'd be okay............ :(

Libertine Seguros said:
Oh, go to hell.

Very kind of you.

His passing is important for his family and friends, but I didn't know him personally and I've learned to relativize all this.

Why checking his palmarès on CQ? The first thing that comes to my mind when talking about Coyot is his 10th place at the 2005 Paris-Roubaix.

Libertine Seguros said:
Oh, go to hell. I thought the fact that he had died was more important to report than to check CQ to see if justice was being done to his palmarès. This isn't the time for one of your crusades about the values of different races.

Just put him on ignore list, like I've done. He is not worth yours or for that matter anyones energy.

Ruudz0r said:
Levarlet was driving the car (drunk). He Minard and Coyot went to a night club together.

Drunk driving, about the most idiotic thing you can do. Sadly it happens all too often, and sometimes with grave consequences.